This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

V and V the Final Battle

Is anyone else a fan of the old school miniseries from the 80s called V? I saw it on the Sci-fi chan a few years ago when I was in high school, then found the DVDs including the sequel at Best Buy. I really thought V was better than Independence Day in some ways, but lacked a lot cuz of it was all 80s cheesy sci-fi, but I liked the aliens.

Unlike most other Sci-fi out there, V is more of a human condition story (like Nazi fascism in the form of aliens not jackbooted nazis). I found some of the plot to ridiculous (like the aliens were able to travel millions of light years in a matter of weeks with giant ships equal to or more advanced than Goa'uld mother ships, but they couldn't figure out how to destroy a simple bacteria, or once we realized they were reptilians, why did they continue to wear disguises, or why the aliens acted so HUMAN -- like a soap opera), but there were parts of V i loved.

It would be cool to see the V aliens fight the Goa'uld, Wraith or another enemy. Some of the V books said the aliens, who were raptor-like reptiles that could tolerate cold, see in the dark, and had super strength, suggested that they evolved on Earth as advanced dinosaurs, back in the day, millions and millions of years ago, like the Ancients, developed a way advanced tech society, but left earth due to the instinction of the dinosaurs. For some reason, they got messed up and regressed, or branched off.

Another book suggested they did NOT evolve on Earth, but on Sirius IV, their homeworld. I also read a cool fanfic about how the V aliens were related to the original Cylons from battlestar galactica. In the old BG series, the Cylons were once a reptilian organic race that, like the Borg, sought perfection through machinery; they were able to transfer their organic thoughts into machines, and left their organic forms.

Anyway, any ideas, memories, or thoughts about V would be cool!

Ooh, I love V. I watched it when it was originally on over here - 1984 I think. I was 13 and the streets would literally empty when it was on. I bought the DVDs last year. The extras are a bit disappointing. It would be great to see a 'where are they now?' docu on the cast. And I loved the theme music for The Final Battle - very atmospheric.

Forgot to say that there was talk of a new V mini-series or film but it seems to have disappeared again. Anyone know what's up with it?
    Oh honey. You say potato, I say vodka!

http://neuralgianostalgia.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Spaceminx
      Ooh, I love V. I watched it when it was originally on over here - 1984 I think. I was 13 and the streets would literally empty when it was on. I bought the DVDs last year. The extras are a bit disappointing. It would be great to see a 'where are they now?' docu on the cast. And I loved the theme music for The Final Battle - very atmospheric.

Forgot to say that there was talk of a new V mini-series or film but it seems to have disappeared again. Anyone know what's up with it?
      I agree...V was awesome! I have both mini-series and I also have the television show. The TV show didn't do as well...but its part of the 80s cheese. Gotta love it!
      sigpic

Comment

A V thread is kinda ironic as i discovered something horrible on IMDB...

apparently scheduled for 2007 tv release is V the 2nd Generation....

so far it's listed as starring 3 of the original cast of the tv series...they gotta be 100 years old by now...

i loved the original though.
        Thanks!
        Jordan

my page
        My LJ
        From now on, our name will be 'Tenac'.

Comment

100 yrs old? Come on. The show aired in the 80's, only 20 some odd years ago. I've seen Faye Grant and Marc Singer in other things since. They still look good. Haven't seen Jane Badler in anything, though.

The two minis were the best. For 80's TV the production values were top notch (except maybe for the baby reptile *snerk*). And the overall tone of the minis (especially the first one) was somewhat dark and the parallels to other fascist regimes were significant. The series lost all that and generally sucked, IMO. That was a shame.

Last I heard, a 2nd generation type movie or mini was in the planning stages but the studio (production company? - one of the guys holding the purse strings) opted for a remake of the original first - then maybe a continuation if that does well. Faye and Marc and Jane had already said yes to continued involvement but whether that will remain a factor with a remake, who knows?

All this is in developement hell, of course, and subject to change without notice.

Comment

Well, whatever they do...I just hope they bring Elizabeth (the star child) back from where ever she went in the last episode of the TV show.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by the_cadpig
              100 yrs old? Come on. The show aired in the 80's, only 20 some odd years ago. I've seen Faye Grant and Marc Singer in other things since. They still look good. Haven't seen Jane Badler in anything, though.
              i just looked them up on imdb....

Badler is 52, Grant is 48 and Singer is 57....
              now i don't want to sound age biased...but...unless they're recasting Touched by An Angel or Little House on the Prairie...that's not that age of the cast you want...
              Thanks!
              Jordan

my page
              My LJ
              From now on, our name will be 'Tenac'.

Comment

Originally posted by yaaayoubetcha
                i just looked them up on imdb....

Badler is 52, Grant is 48 and Singer is 57....
                now i don't want to sound age biased...but...unless they're recasting Touched by An Angel or Little House on the Prairie...that's not that age of the cast you want...
                Hmmm...well...they could still be involved. Just introduce new freedom fighters. Sort of a "V:The Next Generation."
                sigpic

Comment

I for one would love to see this. I went over to IMDB to see if Robert Englund
                  had signed on too and it looked liked he did. I wonder if Marc Singer's cousin
                  Bryan Singer, were to involved in this, would there be a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by LaCroix
                    I for one would love to see this. I went over to IMDB to see if Robert Englund
                    had signed on too and it looked liked he did. I wonder if Marc Singer's cousin
                    Bryan Singer, were to involved in this, would there be a problem.
                    The more "Singers" the stronger the song! :-)
                    sigpic

Comment

I loved V as a kid. Here's the official scoop on the current status of the revival from NBC:

Twenty years after its premiere as an NBC miniseries, the network has given the go-ahead for a script commitment that could revive “V,” the science-fiction television classic, as “V: The Second Generation,” a new, three-hour movie with original creator Kenneth Johnson returning to write, direct and serve as executive producer for the sequel. The announcement was made today by Jeff Gaspin, Executive Vice President, Alternative Series, Longform, Program Strategy and Bravo, NBC Entertainment.

“The appeal of ‘V’ continues and we look forward to getting a new script that could introduce it to a new generation of viewers,” said Gaspin. “Likewise, we would like to move the story forward with a fresh take on this timeless story of human resilience and resistance.”

Johnson’s original four-hour miniseries was the number-one program in America the week of its second two-hour episode in May 1983. That telecast's 27.0 rating and 40 share was NBC’s highest non-sports rating in over two-and-one-half years. After receiving considerable critical acclaim, “V” also garnered formidable ratings in international television markets. “V’s” recent DVD release jumped to the top of the Amazon Bestseller List and has shipped over 250,000 units.

In the original miniseries, “V” stood for Victory over the “Visitors” and represented an allegory of the Nazi takeover of Europe in the 1930s and 1940s. The Visitors were aliens from a faraway planet who came to Earth posing as friends with much-needed technology but actually plotted to gain control through deadly subterfuge. Ordinary citizens eventually formed a Resistance Movement and struggled to fight back.

“For years I’ve had a passion to dig even deeper into the characters and circumstances,” said Johnson. “‘V: The Second Generation’ will give me the opportunity to pick up the story 20 years later. The alien force is deeply entrenched, has turned many earth people into followers, and is sweeping them toward a dangerous new conquest. The Resistance seems to be fighting a losing battle when suddenly Earth gains a powerful and mysterious new ally. Gregg Maday at Warner Bros., my co-executive producer Rob Lee, NBC and I plan to make this new ‘V’ into the same kind of major international TV event that my original miniseries was.”

If the movie receives a green light, several of the actors who starred in the original, including Marc Singer, Faye Grant, Jane Badler and Robert Englund, could possibly return to resume their roles in addition to a cast that will include many new faces as well.

“V: The Second Generation” is a production of Warner Bros. Television Production Inc. in association with Kenneth Johnson Productions, Inc. Rob Lee, who was instrumental in connecting the project with NBC, will be executive producer.

Johnson’s deal was negotiated by his lawyers Jeff Schneider and Charles Silverberg.
                      GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
                      The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
                      Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

I just hope that it gets made!
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Darren
                          20 years later. The alien force is deeply entrenched, has turned many earth people into followers, and is sweeping them toward a dangerous new conquest. The Resistance seems to be fighting a losing battle when suddenly Earth gains a powerful and mysterious new ally.
                          I wonder if that new ally will be
                          Spoiler:
                          Elizabeth? Remember...she went off with someone at the end of the V:The Series.
                          sigpic

Comment

WOW! V!

I still have the mini-series's on video!

When you first mentioned that it was coming back, I was skeptical. But if Kenneth Johnson is involved - YAH!

I read an interview with him in Starlog (I think), back when the series was on. He was proud of the original miniseries. But his script for the second was apparently EXTREMELY rewritten and he ended up not being pleased with it. After that he was not associated with the project at all. He had suggested that a weekly series could not maintain the level of special effects that the audience had grown accustomed to. He suggested a monthly TV movie. The network refused and he left.

I quite liked the second miniseries and the TV show, but his absence is evident. My ABSOLUTE fave character was Ham Tyler played by Michael Ironside. Interestingly, I had major Ham Tyler flashbacks when I saw Michael Ironside playing the bad guy in Total Recall - the clothes and the bodylanguage was very "Tyler". Turned out it was intentional on the part of Ironside, who said he always felt there were more places to go with the character.

I would adore the network forever if they enticed Ironside back!

LONG LIVE V!

AT
                            thistledown
                            sigpic

Comment

Did you know that both V mini series and the TV serires is available on DVD? Much better quality!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X