This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Woolsey's Reasoning- Valid?

" I think it is reprehensible that the tax payers of this country are paying enormous sums of money to wage a war they know nothing about and are getting little if anything in return." - Agent Woolsey

I've been pondering this statement all afternoon, and then it dawned on me, kinda like an impact by tons of bricks, that we're not getting nothing in return - we're getting safety and security from walking around with snakes in our heads!

Is Woolsey's reasoning valid?

Definetely. In fact, the entire war, invasion and eventual policing of Iraq is illegal and unjust.

Comment

Well just to clarify I'm talking about the intergalactic war - not particularly the Middle East one

Comment

Originally posted by David
        " I think it is reprehensible that the tax payers of this country are paying enormous sums of money to wage a war they know nothing about and are getting little if anything in return." - Agent Woolsey

I've been pondering this statement all afternoon, and then it dawned on me, kinda like an impact by tons of bricks, that we're not getting nothing in return - we're getting safety and security from walking around with snakes in our heads!

I think he - like most politicians or political aides - believes his reasoning is valid. "Nothing" is relative. We're "getting" allies, a lot of technology (although no big, honkin' space gun) and some worthy exploration. However, he argues that that isn't good enough.

No comment on whether or not the line itself was a writer's jab.
        Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
        O'Neill: Who doesn't?
        - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
        - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
        once done, cannot be undone...
        brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Comment

If the stargate had not been used, then there is ground for consideration.

Now, there is no going back.

"ARRRG! My dry cleaning bill this month is over $10,000!"

Comment

I don't think Woolsey's reasoning is valid. Look at any war in history, the people pay huge sums of money to finiance the war and what do they get out of it; Freedom. It's the same with the war with the Gou'ald and this war is getting something more. We are gaining insights into cultures that have long vanished from Earth, gaining new tech and putting it to good use like the F302 and BC303 and its redefining fields like Physics. So I would say that it's worth the money.

Comment

I've stated this numerous times. (Sorry if I am stepping on some people's toes.) I don't think it should be about the search for technology anymore. We have some big bad allies. Yes, they come with thier own baggage, yes they come with technology, yes, they come with enemies, but in the end, a hand full of allies, would slaughter independant enemies.

SG1 was formed allianced with the Tok'ra, Asgard, Myan Ghost Beings, and probably hundreds of other races(seeing as how SG1 is based on only a handful of reports that we as viewers are allowed to see.)

I'm sorry, but with Earth still in a primative state, and countries waging war, over territory, money, greed, lust, and such other things, we are not ready to have technology like a Hammer/Chariot class, to play around with. What happens when an enemy of the US uses it on its enemy, and the US gets blamed? We are thrown into a massive world war once again.

Just because we aren't getting all the guns, doesn't mean we aren't getting anything in return. Patcience is a virtue, and we are waiting patciently, and we will be rewarded, like we have been in the past (Asgard saving our hide as we did theirs).

For this fact, I remain nuetral(+/-). I agree that we aren't getting the big bad guns per say(-), but we are waging a war that we are getting allies in(+).

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
              [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

Not to mention it's providing the backbone for a great television series!

Comment

True.

But still we are on thin ice with the 11 nations of the SGC. Right now, the only one sticking a thorn in our side about the SGC is Russia. The rest settled for Atlantis, but Russia continues to want more.

Remeber when Chekov found out about the X302? He went ballistic. Imagine if the world found out that the US could cure incurable diseases with the flip or a switch, or the shine of a light? It would cause a global war. And we don't have time for that.

Right now we need to finish up this Goa'uld ordeal, and help the Asgard finish off the Replicators, restoring balance to the universe. Then we can figure out a way to repay those nice tax-payers who spend millions each year to keep those shiny orange chevrons on.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.

Comment

The only reason Russia has even something to put on the bargaining/annoying table (depending upon how you view it) is because they gave us both a gate AND a DHD. Otherwise we'd really just ignore them.

Comment

Both respectiviley belonged to us. But we are getting off topic.

Comment

I think Woolsey is right in the fact that, if I, me personally, knew money was being guzzled away into some kind of, pardon the pun, black void or wormhole, I'd honestly want to know what my government was doing with it. I think most of us would say that. The only reason WE don't is because, in this case, we know what it's used for.

Comment

Then again, thats why the SG is classified, and only those who are in the tip topest of ranks even heard of this "advanced space telemetry" . David, you're 21+ right? Tell me what you pay taxes for, say...for just month X. Just round about numbers.

THen think about how much you actually know where it is going. Jet Fuel...Missiles...Bullets...classified information? We don't know, and because there are so many tax payers, we really have no way of knowing where each and every penny is going, and into what government program.

If there are 70 million people in the US, 35 million over the age of 21+(just a guess) and lets say....18 million paying taxes....1 dollar a day would be enough to run the electricity throughout the Cheyanne Mnt. Complex for 18 months.

Now say they(thepublic) bought gas today, 50% of that gas bill is taxes, food (of any kind) 60% is taxes. In the end of all thier pennies adding up and the states paying the taxes to the government, no-one really notices.

Comment

I think Woolsey is right in the fact that, if I, me personally, knew money was being guzzled away into some kind of, pardon the pun, black void or wormhole, I'd honestly want to know what my government was doing with it.
                            Except that, in reality, this is done all the time (not singling out any particular government, either) and we never know for sure all that is done with it.
                            I think most of us would say that. The only reason WE don't is because, in this case, we know what it's used for.
                            In the fictional Stargate universe, it is unknown exactly how many millions or billions of dollars the SGC is costing the government, but again, I think there is precedence for the ability to hide it, if necessary.
                            Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
                            O'Neill: Who doesn't?
                            - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
                            - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
                            once done, cannot be undone...
                            brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Comment

Didn't Hammond actually quote a specific dollar value for per-year operation of the SGC once? For the life of me, I can't remember what episode it was in, but I think it was something to the tune of $8 billion...

Comment

Working...
                              X