PDA

View Full Version : Sheppard needs to be demoted....

Pages : 1 [2]

Linzi
July 13th, 2006, 03:01 PM
I just found it. Pretty cool ah. I think I seen someone with it a long time ago but I might be mistaken.

Lets change the thread to 'Shep need to be promoted'.
I think McKay should do the honors. He should put the little symbol that they wear on Star Trek on Shep and say, 'There, you can now officially Kirk on any planet you want."
Lol! If only everybody had such a great sense of humour as you...

The.Prior.of.The.Ori
July 13th, 2006, 06:42 PM
I just found it. Pretty cool ah. I think I seen someone with it a long time ago but I might be mistaken.

Lets change the thread to 'Shep need to be promoted'.
I think McKay should do the honors. He should put the little symbol that they wear on Star Trek on Shep and say, 'There, you can now officially Kirk on any planet you want."
:lol:

Major Gambit
July 13th, 2006, 08:28 PM
what!?!?! why would you wanna get rid of shep!! also, ya i like lorne too, i didnt like Batets. Also, i dont really see Caldwell as a very...front line kinda guy.

npattis
July 22nd, 2006, 01:35 AM
Yes, I am bringing this back. After tonight's episode, it is official he needs to be rid of. His incompetence is smelling up the place. And as usual Caldwell showed to be the better commander. So...

DEMOTE SHEPPARD!!

stevieg
July 22nd, 2006, 02:07 AM
thanks alot man,really for those of us who havent seen the show,bravo
shouldnt that be considered a spoiler or something

npattis
July 22nd, 2006, 02:08 AM
thanks alot man,really for those of us who havent seen the show,bravo
shouldnt that be considered a spoiler or something

Hmm no spoiler was revealed.

stevieg
July 22nd, 2006, 02:28 AM
really so sheppard didnt make a wrong/bad decision which in your eyes warrants demotion,your first post is just a mirage of some sort

npattis
July 22nd, 2006, 02:36 AM
really so sheppard didnt make a wrong/bad decision which in your eyes warrants demotion,your first post is just a mirage of some sort

He has been merriting a demotion since the start of Atlantis.

stevieg
July 22nd, 2006, 02:43 AM
so was jack o,neill even at the end of the first series he disobeyed an order from potus,but he didnt get demoted and i believe your first post was directly pointed at the new episode because of your comment about col.caldwell

florence
July 22nd, 2006, 03:10 AM
so was jack o,neill even at the end of the first series he disobeyed an order from potus,but he didnt get demoted and i believe your first post was directly pointed at the new episode because of your comment about col.caldwell
Not that I agree with what npattis said, but IMO he (she?) didn't reveal any spoiler in his (her?) first post on this thread. Caldwell is in SGA since Season 2, so it's not really a spoiler. npattis could have spoken about what Caldwell had done in Season 2 and compare it to what Sheppard did in Misbegotten.
But I agree it would be better to add "Spoilers for 3x02 Misbegotten" in the title of the thread. People who don't want to be spoiled will know they have to avoid this thread. :)

Now, on to the discussion part. npatti, could you explain why you think Sheppard should be demoted? It's not enough to say he needs to be, it's better to bring explanations and facts. ;)

npattis
July 22nd, 2006, 12:37 PM
1) The constant incompetence

2) Yeah, so many errors he made with Michael, I dont know where to begin

3) The military foul up with in Cout D'tau (Sp?)

4) The whole screwe up last night with leaving the nuke there and oops, only 4 security guards with Carson

5) His contsant Kirking, McKay was right in the 1st season when they brought the ancient back.

I can go on and on. I have nothing against Joe Flannigan, he's a great actor. But these writers are pissing me off. They are making the hero seem like an incompetent fool.

rarocks24
July 22nd, 2006, 12:53 PM
1) The constant incompetence

2) Yeah, so many errors he made with Michael, I dont know where to begin

3) The military foul up with in Cout D'tau (Sp?)

4) The whole screwe up last night with leaving the nuke there and oops, only 4 security guards with Carson

5) His contsant Kirking, McKay was right in the 1st season when they brought the ancient back.

I can go on and on. I have nothing against Joe Flannigan, he's a great actor. But these writers are pissing me off. They are making the hero seem like an incompetent fool.

Did you even watch the episode? Sheppard was not the one that signed off on the deal to change Michael (or not that we know of). Could he have treated the prisoners better, yes. Did he, no. But he had to make a judgement call in the end and that was what he made. I fail to see he made any wrong decision with Michael. He was bad for treating the prisoners like a jerk.

npattis
July 22nd, 2006, 01:16 PM
Did you even watch the episode? Sheppard was not the one that signed off on the deal to change Michael (or not that we know of). Could he have treated the prisoners better, yes. Did he, no. But he had to make a judgement call in the end and that was what he made. I fail to see he made any wrong decision with Michael. He was bad for treating the prisoners like a jerk.

Hmm maybe the fact from last season he completely let Michael roam free over Atlantis. I mean, the security could have been better. But they should have NEVER let Michael into Atlantis. Then moving him to Alpha site and left alone with Teyla with NO security??? It's like...WOW.

rarocks24
July 22nd, 2006, 01:20 PM
Hmm maybe the fact from last season he completely let Michael roam free over Atlantis. I mean, the security could have been better. But they should have NEVER let Michael into Atlantis. Then moving him to Alpha site and left alone with Teyla with NO security??? It's like...WOW.
So how is this relative to this season and to Misbegotten?

Yes, Sheppard screwed up, and I wonder how much Caldwell chewed his butt out because of it. But what happened in Misbegotten was well...hardly his fault. There were so many plotholes that Sheppard's character was unable to think clearly.

npattis
July 22nd, 2006, 01:24 PM
So how is this relative to this season and to Misbegotten?

Yes, Sheppard screwed up, and I wonder how much Caldwell chewed his butt out because of it. But what happened in Misbegotten was well...hardly his fault. There were so many plotholes that Sheppard's character was unable to think clearly.

Agreed, I felt though if Sheppard is head of the military contengent, he may have done a bit better job. But for the most part. Sheppard needs more background story.

And I am getting ticked off how all the decisions are being swept under the carpet with no reprisal. I mean they had to add in for Weir 'blessing of SCommand and the IOA' to make her not seem that retarded.

mckaychick
July 22nd, 2006, 01:28 PM
I really dont think he needs to be demoted. Hes done a fine job at most times.

gooner_diva
July 22nd, 2006, 01:51 PM
I wouldn't say demoted... more like gotten rid of. Caldwell seems to be a much better choice for the military commander on Atlantis.

npattis
July 22nd, 2006, 01:54 PM
I wouldn't say demoted... more like gotten rid of. Caldwell seems to be a much better choice for the military commander on Atlantis.

Green for the Caldwell comment

sueKay
July 22nd, 2006, 01:55 PM
Caldwell's just a sheep who'll do what he's told

I'm not saying that Sheppard's always in the right, but he's got that extra get up and go that leaders need. He'll make the right decision...I mean on the occassions that folks feel he's 'mucked' up, have you considered the alternative actions he could have taken?

exactly...his decisions might not be popular, but 99% of the time they're the right decisions.

Linzi
July 22nd, 2006, 02:15 PM
Caldwell's just a sheep who'll do what he's told

I'm not saying that Sheppard's always in the right, but he's got that extra get up and go that leaders need. He'll make the right decision...I mean on the occassions that folks feel he's 'mucked' up, have you considered the alternative actions he could have taken?

exactly...his decisions might not be popular, but 99% of the time they're the right decisions.
Agreed. Caldwell is a by the book military man, and that's not what Atlantis needs. In my opinion it needs someone who thinks outside of the box, and that's what Sheppard does, whether one likes his decisions or not.

Alipeeps
July 22nd, 2006, 02:17 PM
Agreed. Caldwell is a by the book military man, and that's not what Atlantis needs. In my opinion it needs someone who thinks outside of the box, and that's what Sheppard does, whether one likes his decisions or not.

Word! :D

Avenger
July 22nd, 2006, 02:32 PM
Some people here need to stop acting like Sheppard is in charge of the entire expedition. If he went military gung ho all the time, Weir would over rule him everytime because, after all, she's in command of the expedition. No one makes the right decsion all the time in normal circumstances. Why and how can you expect perfcection in extraordinary circumstances.

npattis
July 22nd, 2006, 07:56 PM

Indeed, we need Sheppard who screws everything up. Caldwell has shown himself to be the superior military commander, while the ONLY reason why Sheppard was put there due to Col Sumner's death!

Gate Geek
July 23rd, 2006, 07:25 AM
Indeed, we need Sheppard who screws everything up. Caldwell has shown himself to be the superior military commander, while the ONLY reason why Sheppard was put there due to Col Sumner's death!

I am still looking for actual specifics to your reasonings why you think Shep should be demoted. Vague generalizations as posted above does not give any credibilty or backing to your statement.

In regards to your comment about Shep being military head because of killing Sumner this is how I see it:
Shep as the next highest ranking military officer after Sumner, rightfully assumed command when Sumner was killed. Shep would hold that position until he was relieved or officially given command. When they got back to Earth, Weir pushed her hand to keep Shep as military commander of Atlantis (Intruder S2). Obviously SGC and the IOA didn't have too much conflict with it, because in the end, Shep was actually promoted and officially given military command of Atlantis.

Atlantis1
July 23rd, 2006, 12:30 PM

Another "Get rid of Sheppard post". This seems to have become a stupid request. Sheppard is one of the main reasons I watch the show. I love the characters personally. I doubt Caldwell could really do much better. In fact, I think if Caldwell were the head of the military on Atlantis, He would probably press for leader of the city. The show would then become more like a military show like SG-1 (not putting down SG-1) and loose its different feeling. We might even loose alot of the scientific aspect.

Sheppard won me to the show. No Sheppard means I quit and I really mean it.

caty
July 23rd, 2006, 04:02 PM
Another "Get rid of Sheppard post". This seems to have become a stupid request. Sheppard is one of the main reasons I watch the show. I love the characters personally. I doubt Caldwell could really do much better. In fact, I think if Caldwell were the head of the military on Atlantis, He would probably press for leader of the city. The show would then become more like a military show like SG-1 (not putting down SG-1) and loose its different feeling. We might even loose alot of the scientific aspect.

Sheppard won me to the show. No Sheppard means I quit and I really mean it.

Yeah, but don't worry... They'll never lose Shep, Atlantis just wouldn't work without him. TPTB know that and a FEW loud opinions against it won't change anything...

Gate Geek
July 23rd, 2006, 04:27 PM
Yeah, but don't worry... They'll never lose Shep, Atlantis just wouldn't work without him. TPTB know that and a FEW loud opinions against it won't change anything...

Amen sister!! :D

Willow'sCat
July 24th, 2006, 05:56 AM
Yeah, but don't worry... They'll never lose Shep, Atlantis just wouldn't work without him. TPTB know that and a FEW loud opinions against it won't change anything...They said that about Jack and I think Sg-1 is still pretty darn good and I loved Jack... still do. ;)

Linzi
July 24th, 2006, 06:18 AM
They said that about Jack and I think Sg-1 is still pretty darn good and I loved Jack... still do. ;)
Yep. But they lost Jack after 8 seasons, and the 8th season was a shambles because of his little involvement in episodes, IMO. Atlantis is too young to lose its leading man.

Willow'sCat
July 24th, 2006, 06:29 AM
You know I am teasing you right? :D

I don't want Sheppard to leave the show anymore then I want McKay to, I just don't buy the argument that because he is the lead he can't be replaced it isn't born of fact more born of wishful thinking. ;)

Linzi
July 24th, 2006, 06:38 AM
You know I am teasing you right? :D

I don't want Sheppard to leave the show anymore then I want McKay to, I just don't buy the argument that because he is the lead he can't be replaced it isn't born of fact more born of wishful thinking. ;)
I don't disagree. Nobody is irreplaceable in my humble opinion, though I'd cry into my pillow if I couldn't watch Sheppard and McKay together.

Gate Geek
July 24th, 2006, 10:58 AM
I don't disagree. Nobody is irreplaceable in my humble opinion, though I'd cry into my pillow if I couldn't watch Sheppard and McKay together.

I think alot of would cry if that happened. THey really play off each other well.

Stef
July 27th, 2006, 10:59 PM
This is my first post here so here goes...

I don't quite understand why people think Caldwell would make a good replacement for Sheppard. Is he a good commander? Sure. Is he the type of commander that Atlantis needs? No. I honestly can't see Caldwell doing a lot of offworld battles on foot and fitting in with the other members of the team (unless you want to get rid of them too). He's more of a ship or office person.

If he were going to replace anyone, I would see him in Weir's position more than anyone else's (despite the fact that he has no real political experience). Besides, you need someone creative to do Sheppard's job and I just don't see that in Caldwell. I also think the leaders need to have a certain personality and while Caldwell may be okay in small-medium doses, I can say in utter certainty that I wouldn't want to watch him every week as one of the main characters.

I'm still not sure why some people think Sheppard needs to leave at all. Sure, he makes mistakes but he also saves everyone time and time again. As much as I may like a superhero, I want somene who's human and capable of error. Atlantis would probably survive if he left but I doubt the writers would kill off Sheppard...if he were to leave it would likely be because of Joe's decision. As a producer/writer, why take an unecessary risk casting a new leader when the one you have is generally liked?

Hopefully I made sense in all that. Hope to talk post more. I just watched all two seasons last week so I am in that first week of obsession right now.

-Stef

Linzi
July 28th, 2006, 01:01 AM
This is my first post here so here goes...

I don't quite understand why people think Caldwell would make a good replacement for Sheppard. Is he a good commander? Sure. Is he the type of commander that Atlantis needs? No. I honestly can't see Caldwell doing a lot of offworld battles on foot and fitting in with the other members of the team (unless you want to get rid of them too). He's more of a ship or office person.

If he were going to replace anyone, I would see him in Weir's position more than anyone else's (despite the fact that he has no real political experience). Besides, you need someone creative to do Sheppard's job and I just don't see that in Caldwell. I also think the leaders need to have a certain personality and while Caldwell may be okay in small-medium doses, I can say in utter certainty that I wouldn't want to watch him every week as one of the main characters.

I'm still not sure why some people think Sheppard needs to leave at all. Sure, he makes mistakes but he also saves everyone time and time again. As much as I may like a superhero, I want somene who's human and capable of error. Atlantis would probably survive if he left but I doubt the writers would kill off Sheppard...if he were to leave it would likely be because of Joe's decision. As a producer/writer, why take an unecessary risk casting a new leader when the one you have is generally liked?

Hopefully I made sense in all that. Hope to talk post more. I just watched all two seasons last week so I am in that first week of obsession right now.

-Stef
I agree with everything you say here. Great post!