This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wraith Scary - Yey or Nay?

I was watching a "making of" doco on SGA and how the creators wanted to create a truly fearsome, spine tingling, vampire like enemy. In season one I didn't really find the wraith scary and thought they would get better in season 2, but I find that the potential has been wasted.

I personally find the Genii a better enemy, and the Wraith not the least bit scary. I mean having the life sucked out of you while you remain concious should be petrifying, but I feel the wraith have been underused and not enough made about their history and more particually the fear they induce, or in my case, don't.

Spoiler:
    Even the season ender was disappointing. I'm not particularally worried about the Wraith heading toward earth. Not like the replicators or the Goa'uld

So Wraith ya love em, but are they a good enemy? More importantly, do they scare you?

I think their scary if you look at them right.

Most people are looking at them in a cliche hanging in the dark way. Not truly seeing the beauty of them.

This race has to feed to survive. So in the end, they're going to do WHATEVER it takes to feed. To stay alive, just like humanity would do.
    People are looking at them and wondering how they beat the Atlantians, how theyre not what THEY expected.

They need to look at it the way were meant to. The Wraith are scary, they are going to do WHATEVER necessary, even feed on their own (The defiant one) to survive.
    Blitz

www.myspace.com/twilightpeace

One was an experiment made to cause destruction in any condition except water, the other was an aquatic expermiment to destroy the world...but in the end...Stitch and Nim: They made an amazing Hula team

Comment

I do find them quite 'chilling' as an enemy, but not really scary. However, they did succeed in scaring me a little at the end of season 2 - I thought that part was very good.
      //

O'Neill: Phasers?
      Carter: Sorry sir.

HAPPY 40TH STAR TREK!! LIVE LONG AND PROSPER!

Comment

Ney.

I've disliked the Wraith from Day 1. The idea of having a villain who has DEFEATED THE ANCIENTS, but that Our Heroes(TM) can defeat on a near-weekly basis is insulting to my intelligence. Plus, I find the idea of space vampires in bad makeup who hiss at you to be eye-rolling material, not spine-chilling material.
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

ney
          sigpic
          Many thanks to geekywraith for the wonderful sig

Comment

They're kind of scary, but mainly I just feel sorry for them. How bad would it be if peanut butter could fire weapons?

Comment

Nay.

Enemies are only scary when we either:

Know nothing about them & they're unrelentless Killing Machines with no ideas of Mercy (Original Replicators, Original Borg, Dominion, Kull Warriors, Aliens, Daleks, etc)

Know A lot about them, they're ways, they're absolute evilness & they'll stop at nothing to get their target, very powerful & deadly, they'll kill they're own, akin to what we would be like if we were evil. That's what makes them scary, they're you, but evil, and your invincible, so what are they?... (Genii, WWII Nazis, Paltipine, Klingons, Green Goblin, Ford, etc).

Any enemy other than that are not that good, unless they're funny (Ferangies, Ming the Merciless, etc), the Wraith fall into this catogory, they're a briliant idea, but pulled off badly, they're like the Jaffa (who were ment to be cannon fodder) but they're being pulled off as a Scary, main eenmeny instead of pawns of a greater enemy (as the Jaffa are to the Goa'uld), this amkes them pathetic).

The Other bad things about them is that there killed off in every episode, with no chance of returning (apart form Michael, but he's yet to develop) and their make-up is doesn't ahve the effect of Scary Ewww, but more of a Slug Ewwww.

The Only good thing about them is they're intelligence & their dark, murkiness, which is key to sci-fi horror.

What's up with their Cheek Gills? It makes them look ugly, apart form that, they're quite attractive!

Comment

wraith aren't scary... they're sexy!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bloodthirsteve
                  wraith aren't scary... they're sexy!!
                  Hmm....I think shes right as well
                  Blitz

www.myspace.com/twilightpeace

One was an experiment made to cause destruction in any condition except water, the other was an aquatic expermiment to destroy the world...but in the end...Stitch and Nim: They made an amazing Hula team

Comment

Originally posted by Blitz
                    Hmm....I think shes right as well
                    yeah she is
                    sigpic
                    Many thanks to geekywraith for the wonderful sig

Comment

the wraith are creepy not scary
                      Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

Sexy Wraith?.....
                        hahahahaahahahahahahaahahaa!...

Ok, every one has diffrent tastes, I still prefer humans, or Athosians, or Satedans, anything but human... hehehehehehehe....

sigpic
                        ----------------------------
                        Stars are not the limit.....
                        The galaxies are not the limit....
                        Your imagination have the last word...

----------------------------

Raziel...

Comment

Originally posted by Raziel
                          Sexy Wraith?.....
                          hahahahaahahahahahahaahahaa!...

Ok, every one has diffrent tastes, I still prefer humans, or Athosians, or Satedans, anything but human... hehehehehehehe....

wraith are the sexiest creatures in the whole universe just look at him:

and him:

and him!

*drools*

err... in fact just look at my sig!

Comment

Nah, that just means you think James Lafazano is sexy.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15
                              Nah, that just means you think James Lafazano is sexy.
                              Was about to say that. You post a pic of ten different (male) Wraith and they are all James James Lafazano = sexy therefore Wraith = sexy. Vampires are sexy, but they also scare the heck out of you.

I guess now I think about it, the Wraith are not as threatening as I want them to be. I want a kick ass, wet my pants when they come on screen enemy. Someone to HATE in that fear for your life kinda way.

Comment

Working...
                              X