Clear All

VANCOUVER SUN: Big article on Stargate franchise

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/n...8a9aa7&k=25558

Stargate's success is out of this world
    Series have brought $500 million US in production to B.C
    Marke Andrews
    Vancouver Sun
    Saturday, April 08, 2006

Stargate SG-1, now in its 10th season in Vancouver, is currently shooting its 200th episode, making it the longest-running drama series on cable television, and the longest-running sci-fi series ever made on this continent.

Asked why the show has had such long legs, show creator Brad Wright, a Vancouverite, cites continuity in its creative team, and the fact that the show has a loyal following.

"A lot of television franchises go off the rails because there's a turnover of the creative people behind the show," says Wright.

*Click on link above full text*

Series have brought $500 million US in production to B.C.
    wow

Thanks for the link, prion.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NowIWillDestroyAbydos
      wow

Thanks for the link, prion.
      Yer welcome For that reason alone, I'm sure Vancouver would love to see Stargate never end ...

Comment

Originally posted by prion
        Yer welcome For that reason alone, I'm sure Vancouver would love to see Stargate never end ...
        I'm sure of that. Well, here's to hoping Stargate can make money for them for many years to come.
        sigpic
        MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
        "...phu...ah..."
        "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
        Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man
          I'm sure of that. Well, here's to hoping Stargate can make money for them for many years to come.
          Let's hope for strong enough ratings for season 10, so we can have season 11 and beyond...

Comment

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2006/0...retsofsu.shtml
            But the exciting news is that a Stargate movie is still in the works. Wright and his writing team have written a screenplay for a feature film, which he hopes will be produced in the near future.
            So, anyone have few words for this tidbit of information.....

I SO have my fingers crossed!

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42
              http://www.gateworld.net/news/2006/0...retsofsu.shtml

So, anyone have few words for this tidbit of information.....

I SO have my fingers crossed!
              I'd say that folks should take this news about a Stargate movie script with a grain of salt. Many, many scripts are written. Few make it to production. While Stargate stands a better chance than most, I also see it more as a TV productoin than theatrical. The Firefly/Serenity movie bombed; most movies made from TV shows do (unless you stuff 'em full of half naked women and sex, like the Charlies Angels movies). I honestly would almost prefer it on TV as then I can tape it, and not go, blast, gee, it was in such limited release it never got here and then have to wait six months for a DVD...

However, if a movie is written, who will be in it? Present day? A past mission? I'd prefer a movie be done when the show is done, and continue the adventures.

Comment

I'd say that folks should take this news about a Stargate movie script with a grain of salt. Many, many scripts are written. Few make it to production. While Stargate stands a better chance than most, I also see it more as a TV productoin than theatrical. The Firefly/Serenity movie bombed; most movies made from TV shows do (unless you stuff 'em full of half naked women and sex, like the Charlies Angels movies). I honestly would almost prefer it on TV as then I can tape it, and not go, blast, gee, it was in such limited release it never got here and then have to wait six months for a DVD...

However, if a movie is written, who will be in it? Present day? A past mission? I'd prefer a movie be done when the show is done, and continue the adventures.
                But whether it makes it to big screen or not is not as important as the fact that they have the script. Even if it doesn't make it to feature we could still get a tv movie OR if I remember correctly, Lost City was originally a movie script. So chances are they've got a great story up their sleeves and that's the important part. And we'll probably get to see it at some point, in some form.

I'm not an expert so I might have some facts wrong here, just going on what I remember reading, but you can't call Serenity a "bomb" -DVD sales alone prove that, and it didn't do that badly in theaters (it fell short by 10 mill in North America, so I'm sure it made up the rest worldwide)- it was a cheap movie to begin with so it made up the money lost in DVD sales. Universal knew that it wouldn't be a huge massive collosal hit so they didn't give it the mega budget to begin with and they'll be reaping in the cash now- can't call it a bomb. A Stargate movie could do something similar.

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42
                  But whether it makes it to big screen or not is not as important as the fact that they have the script. Even if it doesn't make it to feature we could still get a tv movie OR if I remember correctly, Lost City was originally a movie script. So chances are they've got a great story up their sleeves and that's the important part. And we'll probably get to see it at some point, in some form.

I'm not an expert so I might have some facts wrong here, just going on what I remember reading, but you can't call Serenity a "bomb" -DVD sales alone prove that, and it didn't do that badly in theaters (it fell short by 10 mill in North America, so I'm sure it made up the rest worldwide)- it was a cheap movie to begin with so it made up the money lost in DVD sales. Universal knew that it wouldn't be a huge massive collosal hit so they didn't give it the mega budget to begin with and they'll be reaping in the cash now- can't call it a bomb. A Stargate movie could do something similar.
                  But they do like movies to make money in the initial run (Serenity). Well, I said 'bombed, not that it was a bomb, which is sorta different. Disaster is ISHTAR, if anybody remembers that flick. Anyway.... I wouldnt mind seeing a Stargate movie, but wonder who is in it.... bet that script is locked away TIGHT.

Comment

But they do like movies to make money in the initial run (Serenity). Well, I said 'bombed, not that it was a bomb, which is sorta different. Disaster is ISHTAR, if anybody remembers that flick. Anyway.... I wouldnt mind seeing a Stargate movie, but wonder who is in it.... bet that script is locked away TIGHT.
                    No kidding, probably hidden away in a bank vault with gold bars.....I'm not so much surprised as to that they have a script, but that they decided to reveal that they had one now.....(if you want fan attention, why not wait until at least a month closer before season ten starts, if there's nothing going on with it yet, why bother, especially if you don't want to be plagued with questions about it, etc.) It'll probably be quite awhile before they could even do anything with it (unless they're way ahead of the game and want to film an in-between-season (probably tv) film?). It'll probably be the conclusion to the Ori storyline that they can film at the end of SG-1's run whenever that may be.....But even if this is the case I don't get why Brad Wright shared it.....If I were in his position I'd keep it under wraps, as they did say several times before that there would be a movie and never was one.....
                    But I'm not complaining.....I think it's great that they're thinking in the movie direction for some point down the road.

Comment

Working...
                    X