PDA

View Full Version : What is the very Dr. Who episode that got your hook to the series?

northstar_08030
April 6th, 2006, 08:05 PM
For me it was "Paradise Towers", I know that was a lame story ark, but hey it was the episode that got me hook to the series.

Dallista
April 6th, 2006, 10:22 PM
Bad Wolf / Parting of the Ways. I cannot imagine a worse introduction to the fandom, but it worked, so I'm not complaining. :)

Willow'sCat
April 7th, 2006, 03:41 AM
I can't remember that far back! :eek: I was only 4! :P I did love to hate "The Planet of the Spiders". :S

in circles
April 7th, 2006, 03:49 AM
Rose. I'd seen a bit of Spearhead from Space when I was younger so it was great to see the Autons again.

yaaayoubetcha
April 7th, 2006, 07:12 AM
man...that was a long time ago....i was still in single digits age.

but it was a book actually...not one of the tv eps. don't remember which one it was, but i think it was in the pertwee era.

creed462
April 7th, 2006, 10:39 AM
Don't remember. Just enjoy scifi

Billz
April 7th, 2006, 01:58 PM
'The Curse Of Fenric' is what started it all off for me.

Metarock Sam
April 7th, 2006, 01:59 PM
Trail of a Timelord for me. My Dad got the video set when it came out when I was 3 and I watched it all the time. I was hooked. Another story that played it big for me was the Dalek movies starring Peter Cushing based on The Daleks and The Dalek Invasion of Earth. Fantastic stories !!!

Matt G
April 7th, 2006, 02:42 PM
First ep I caught was Rose but 'The End of the World' really hooked me in.

TheAncient1
April 7th, 2006, 04:42 PM
the first ep for me would be "The Deadly Assasin" I saw it when I was five or six. The episodes that really got me hooked was the key to time. now, ten years later, I've seen the whole series at least twice.

Deputy-Assistant-Second-Prime
April 7th, 2006, 08:55 PM
For me, it was Planet of the Daleks.
That was my third attempt at trying to understand the show.

Got hooked and watched it for a few months.

Went on vacation after the first half of Planet of Spiders (with Jon Pertwee) and came back to The Sontaran Experiment (with Tom Baker).

I was very confused that a new actor was playing the part in a completely different manner, but I stuck it out.

A few weeks later another PBS station started showing William Hartnell episodes, and of course they couldn't show the regeneration to Patrick Troughton, so I remained completely confused for a long time.

Easter Lily
April 7th, 2006, 10:10 PM
I think I've said this elsewhere... but it's The City of Death... ;) Only remembered it as the Mona Lisa episode for years and years.
Yup, o'l Tom Baker... teeth, curls and electronic dog...

Willow'sCat
April 8th, 2006, 04:16 AM
I think I've said this elsewhere... but it's The City of Death... ;) Only remembered it as the Mona Lisa episode for years and years.
Yup, o'l Tom Baker... teeth, curls and electronic dog...Annoying dog.;) :p And John Cleese, less annoying in TCoD mainly because he only has one line and is in the background.

jaynovacek
April 9th, 2006, 06:21 AM
Genesis of the Daleks

Naonak
April 22nd, 2006, 12:36 PM
I don't have a clue what the name was, because I was only little, but it had the Daleks and maybe Tom Baker. I didn't go out and hunt episodes down, so it didn't quite "get me hooked", but it's the first one I saw and I know I enjoyed it.
I didn't watch the show regularly until it came back last year.

Hulabaloo
April 22nd, 2006, 12:38 PM
The first ep of the new series, with the Ninth Doc, cant remember what its called, you kno, the dummies!

April 22nd, 2006, 01:19 PM
The first ep of the new series, with the Ninth Doc, cant remember what its called, you kno, the dummies!It was called Rose.

Hulabaloo
April 22nd, 2006, 01:21 PM
Oh yea! Thats the one!

*hits head*

I look like a right idiot now.

Flyboy
April 22nd, 2006, 01:22 PM
I always liked it as a child, though I never saw many episodes. In fact I only remember brief parts from two as a kid, Spearhead from Space, and Revenge of the Cybermen. Yet I know I loved Doctor Who.

The first one i ever saw properly and appreciated it whilst being of a mental age where I could say why I liked it, was the movie. I did rather like it.

April 22nd, 2006, 01:25 PM
I don't have a clue what the name was, because I was only little, but it had the Daleks and maybe Tom Baker. I didn't go out and hunt episodes down, so it didn't quite "get me hooked", but it's the first one I saw.
I didn't watch the show regularly until it came back last year.Well, the Daleks had 16 appearances in the old series. so it is hard to pin down.

6 were B&W; 10 were color
3 of the B&W ones have gone missing.

Tom Baker had two Daleks stories, Genesis of the Daleks and Destiny of the Daleks.

Genesis of the Daleks and Revelation of the Daleks are due to be released on DVD for North America on June 2006.

Missster.Freeman
April 23rd, 2006, 12:37 PM
It was "Invasion of the Dinosaurs" near the end of the Pertwee era that got me into the series, and that was also my first memory of Dr Who. I was only about 6 at the time and I'm sure it was when my mum and dad bought their first colour TV.

The Signal
April 23rd, 2006, 12:57 PM
no idea, way to far back, but I remember watching Trial of a Timelord, that might have been the one.

docballen
April 23rd, 2006, 01:36 PM
The Creature From The Pit.

I had heard about Dr. Who for a long time and had wanted to see it. Nowhere in my area showed it.

Finally a PBS station aired some episodes-- still I can't say I got to watch it, though-- the "friend" who was visiting that day was being a complete... a$$-hole and did not let me watch it. (He annoyed me, blocked the screen, kept turning off MY TV, etc. Don't you get the hint, dude? No, he didn't.)_ So I actually didn't get to see this same episode until they ran through all of Colin Baker's eps, all of Sylvester McCoy's eps... and then everything else that came before it again!!!

The episodes that hooked me on Dr. Who, and gave me my favorite Doctor was... Trial of a Time Lord.

Easter Lily
April 23rd, 2006, 03:37 PM
Annoying dog.;) :p And John Cleese, less annoying in TCoD mainly because he only has one line and is in the background.
I liked the doggie... even though I'm not a doggie person...

Interesting that you mentioned John Cleese... you know, it's fun to go back and watch some of the classic episodes and do a bit of actor spotting... I think anybody who was anybody on British television these days probably had a role in Dr Who at some point in time.

GhostPoet
April 25th, 2006, 11:50 AM
I remember one on a jungle planet with the Dalek and the Fur coat Doctor Who...

BC - 303
April 25th, 2006, 11:58 AM
the first Dr who i watched, i remember one thing
it was Tom baker and he said "im standing on a landmine"

April 25th, 2006, 12:25 PM
I remember one on a jungle planet with the Dalek and the Fur coat Doctor Who...I believe you are referring to Planet of the Daleks with the Third Doctor and Jo Grant.

It took place in a jungle and the characters hid as natives in fur coats.

Almost all the characters were blonds.

April 25th, 2006, 12:26 PM
the first Dr who i watched, i remember one thing
it was Tom baker and he said "im standing on a landmine"That was Genesis of the Daleks, which will be released on DVD in the U.S. in June.

Darkseid
April 25th, 2006, 01:18 PM
The first one that got me hooked was the first one shown in my area; "Robot".

I had no idea what Doctor Who was all about. All I saw was a wierd scientist fighting a Robot, and then at the end he and Sarah and Harry walked into a blue box and it disappeared! Holy cow, I had to watch the next week!!

The funny thing was, when my local PBS statin first aired the show, they didn't air the episodes in order. So the next story had the second Romana in it. The story after that had Leela and so on. It was almost like they were just randomly grabbing an episode and playing it....

Wow, hard for me to believe that was about 25 years ago. Man, am I getting old...

April 25th, 2006, 01:40 PM
Wow, hard for me to believe that was about 25 years ago. Man, am I getting old...Tell me about it.

Btw, let Desaad know I need the anti-life equation back. :D D'oh!

Darkseid
April 25th, 2006, 01:49 PM
Btw, let Desaad know I need the anti-life equation back. :D D'oh!

Certainly. I will have Orion deliver it to you.... ;)

April 25th, 2006, 01:56 PM
Certainly. I will have Orion deliver it to you.... ;)Highfather thanks you, but he'd prefer to get it from Granny Goodness...or one of the Female Furies. :D

Darkseid
April 25th, 2006, 02:16 PM
Highfather thanks you, but he'd prefer to get it from Granny Goodness...or one of the Female Furies. :D

ya.....ok......this just got really wierd..........

April 25th, 2006, 03:19 PM
ya.....ok......this just got really wierd..........Sorry.
After a while, it gets hard to volley back within the confines of the premise.
I meant they could deliver it to him. Orion is far too scary to deliver mail.

Darkseid
April 25th, 2006, 03:37 PM
HA!

It's all good......

April 25th, 2006, 04:05 PM
HA!

It's all good......Okay, good. I try not to upset, disgust, or horrify members as a general rule.
My goodness, do you realize how much we've helped each other's post count today?
I didn't even think about it until just now.

Getting back on topic...I'm sure Planet of the Daleks was the first story that got me hooked, but I can't recall the first episode I actually saw mainly because I only watched only a few minutes of it.

The TARDIS was in an open area. They ran into it and suddenly they were in the bigger interior.

My first thought was, "Did I just blink and miss a scene?"

Then they cut back to the TARDIS dematerilizing.

Or maybe it was the reverse...TARDIS interior...materialization...and then stepping out on to a planet.

Now at the time, there were two PBS stations airing Doctor Who, so I'm not sure what era it was...but it was color so that rules out the first six seasons and various season 7 & 8 episodes.

The interior was white so it wasn't Season 14.

It couldn't have been a U.N.I.T. story, so that rules out many Pertwee stories.

I'm guessing it was Colony in Space, Jo's first trip in the TARDIS.

Easter Lily
April 25th, 2006, 04:48 PM
The first time I saw the inside of the Tardis... I was stoaked especially when I realised that there were other rooms inside of it. I think the Tardis itself was a huge attraction. I don't think had been anything on telly quite like it before or since.

What was the name of the episode in which the Master's tardis was inside the Doctor's tardis?

April 25th, 2006, 05:12 PM
The first time I saw the inside of the Tardis... I was stoaked especially when I realised that there were other rooms inside of it. I think the Tardis itself was a huge attraction. I don't think had been anything on telly quite like it before or since.Just out of curiousity, what episode was that?

What was the name of the episode in which the Master's tardis was inside the Doctor's tardis?Logopolis.

Easter Lily
April 25th, 2006, 08:23 PM
Just out of curiousity, what episode was that?
I usually tell people that The City of Death is my first exposure to Dr Who so I daresay it's that or some other Tom Baker story.

Logopolis.
Ah so it was Logopolis... I wasn't too sure... I actually remember the first time I saw Tegan running around the Tardis very frustrated and confused.

I never really warmed up to Tegan... she always seemed so bossy and negative.

Seshat
April 25th, 2006, 08:33 PM
I usually tell people that The City of Death is my first exposure to Dr Who so I daresay it's that or some other Tom Baker story.

For me it was probably an early Jon Pertwee ep, but so long ago I have no clue which one...I was a big fan of Sarah Jane, though. I have to say that the Tom Baker eps really drew me in big time.

BC - 303
April 26th, 2006, 04:57 PM
That was Genesis of the Daleks, which will be released on DVD in the U.S. in June.
Wow this guy REALLY knows his stuff!

marcopolo
April 28th, 2006, 03:50 AM
The first story that I saw was The Time Warrior, but the one that hooked well and truly was Revenge Of The Cybermen.

Alterus
February 18th, 2013, 12:12 PM
For me it was "Paradise Towers", I know that was a lame story ark, but hey it was the episode that got me hook to the series.

The TV Movie, then the Arc of Infinity