April 5th, 2006, 10:55 PM
Stargate: Horizon - Season Two
"Night Terrors"

"Night Terrors"
Ep: 2.14
Release Date: April 6th 2006
Story by Alex Rubit & Sam Jones
Teleplay by Alex Rubit

When different members of the Horizon crew start experiencing identical recurring nightmares, it soon becomes clear that the crew is dealing with something other than just bad dreams.

Elite Anubis Guard
April 6th, 2006, 10:34 AM
Lovely. You've exceeded your bandwidth. Ya know ya can upload it on SGU if you need to. No download limits.

Lt.Colonel John Sheppard
April 6th, 2006, 10:49 AM
Excellent episode reminded me of Atlantis's 113 "Hot Zone" Episode and SG-1 304 Episode "Legacy". You guys did an excellent job though i cant wait for The Adversary Thats the episode ive been waiting for next to the 2-part season finale.

Elite Anubis Guard
April 6th, 2006, 11:06 AM
Sheppard, could you please email me the episode? [email protected]

samjack4ever
April 6th, 2006, 01:52 PM
Stargate: Horizon - Season Two

"Night Terrors"

"Night Terrors"
Ep: 2.14
Release Date: April 6th 2006
Story by Alex Rubit & Sam Jones
Teleplay by Alex Rubit

When different members of the Horizon crew start experiencing identical recurring nightmares, it soon becomes clear that the crew is dealing with something other than just bad dreams.

Hi Guys,

Long time no posting :)

The new epsiode Night Terrors is available to download from the Stargate Horizon site...

Have Fun!

Lt. Colonel Ryu Gaia
April 6th, 2006, 03:16 PM
Well... I was a little dissapointed. To start with, it's spelled "fate."
The episode seemed very short, and although it was a one-off, it wasn't really thrilling. The words "creepy" and "various dead crewmembers" were used way too many times. The writing that wasn't speech was a bit too personal, it felt less like the distant first person we're used to and more like a very immediate and jarring second person. The speech fell short in some places, and it seemed like 25% of it was the use of double exlamation points. The story, although it could have been done quite cleverly, was revealed more or less all at once, and there were weren't twists, or red herrings. We just sort of have to sit there and wait for Christine to finish translating in order to understand the episode.
Overall: **
It just wasn't as good as usual.

(I'm really sorry I gave such a harsh review, but that's just the way I felt about this particular episode.)

Alex Rubit
April 6th, 2006, 09:51 PM
Excellent episode reminded me of Atlantis's 113 "Hot Zone" Episode and SG-1 304 Episode "Legacy". You guys did an excellent job though i cant wait for The Adversary Thats the episode ive been waiting for next to the 2-part season finale.

Thanks. And of course there's a little reference to "Hot Zone" in there. ;)

To me personally it was fun to see a lot of the characters behave more or less a little out of character.

Alex Rubit
April 6th, 2006, 09:52 PM
Lovely. You've exceeded your bandwidth. Ya know ya can upload it on SGU if you need to. No download limits.

No need for that. The episode is up on the site. No download limits there either. ;)

Alex Rubit
April 6th, 2006, 09:53 PM
Hi Guys,

Long time no posting :)

The new epsiode Night Terrors is available to download from the Stargate Horizon site...

Have Fun!

Great to see you over here again, Sam. And thanks for getting the episode up. :)

Alex Rubit
April 6th, 2006, 10:03 PM
Well... I was a little dissapointed. To start with, it's spelled "fate."

I'm shocked.

Seriously, I think the main focus should be on the story instead of spelling mistakes. After all, we get the episodes out on time, don't we? ;)

The episode seemed very short,

Short??? Because we're FINALLY having episodes that aren't TOO LONG?

But I can see why it would feel short compared to some of our longer ones. Just wait until you see "The Adversary". :cameron:

and although it was a one-off, it wasn't really thrilling. The words "creepy" and "various dead crewmembers" were used way too many times. The writing that wasn't speech was a bit too personal, it felt less like the distant first person we're used to and more like a very immediate and jarring second person. The speech fell short in some places, and it seemed like 25% of it was the use of double exlamation points. The story, although it could have been done quite cleverly, was revealed more or less all at once, and there were weren't twists, or red herrings. We just sort of have to sit there and wait for Christine to finish translating in order to understand the episode.
Overall: **
It just wasn't as good as usual.

(I'm really sorry I gave such a harsh review, but that's just the way I felt about this particular episode.)

No reason to appologize. You can give any reviews you see fit. People don't appologize for what they say about SG-1 or SGA episodes - no difference here.

Of course I don't agree with the writing being off, since I think it's not any different than normally. It's much rather just a different type of episode than the recent ones were. :)

Lt. Colonel Ryu Gaia
April 7th, 2006, 05:32 AM
I'm shocked.

Seriously, I think the main focus should be on the story instead of spelling mistakes. After all, we get the episodes out on time, don't we? ;)

Eh, it's one of the little things that irked me. Your spell-checker should have caught it.

Short??? Because we're FINALLY having episodes that aren't TOO LONG?

Don't get me wrong, 77 pages is just about right in terms of length, but generally, when descriptions are repeated frequently, it's easy to skim over them, and then the episodes feel a lot shorter. Same thing happened with "The Cold and Distant Stars."

Of course I don't agree with the writing being off, since I think it's not any different than normally. It's much rather just a different type of episode than the recent ones were. :)
Too much of that "we" stuff. I know that it has to be in the first person, and immediate, but not every sentance needs to tell us what "we" can see - it's easy to use the third person present along with the first person present to make a less "in your face" script.

mentalmichael
April 7th, 2006, 08:50 AM
I liked this ep, a nice little one-off. I wish Atlantis/SG-1s one-off's could be as good as this one. I really liked the ref to Atlantis as about 30 seconds before I read this I was thinking how similar the scenario was to Hot Zone!

Can't wait for the next ep.

Incidentally, I agree with Ryu about the overuse of the refs to dead bodies. Couldn't we just say that said character is back in the nightmare world or something?

EDIT: Actually, that description is lame. Stick with yours!

Lt. Colonel Ryu Gaia
April 7th, 2006, 10:23 AM
Who the heck voted poor? Meh, I hate it when people do that - rate something horribly and NEVER EXPLAIN WHY.

prometheus72
April 7th, 2006, 11:21 AM
Well, I enjoyed this one quite a bit. A nice change of pace from the last arc. This one was creepy. I enjoyed the characters acting "out of character" and the interesting interactions that ensued. I liked the references to ascension. It makes you think that maybe the Ancients aren't all that unique after all and maybe other races around the galaxy have and will have the opprtunity to shed their corporeal bodies to reach other planes of existance as a natural progression of their respective evolution. Nice job. Can't wait for the next one.

Col.Foley
April 7th, 2006, 07:03 PM
Over all I liked this one but I do have two complaints.
1. It did tend to get repatative, the whole dream thing over and over did make me want to skip it.
2. It reminded me alot of StarTrek TNG episode of the same name the one with Diana. I don't know if it was just me, or did you base this episode off that episode partially. Or did it give you some ideas
This was not your best episode, but it was still a good one

Alex Rubit
April 7th, 2006, 07:56 PM
Eh, it's one of the little things that irked me. Your spell-checker should have caught it.

It didn't. Must be broke.

Don't get me wrong, 77 pages is just about right in terms of length, but generally, when descriptions are repeated frequently, it's easy to skim over them, and then the episodes feel a lot shorter. Same thing happened with "The Cold and Distant Stars."

Too much of that "we" stuff. I know that it has to be in the first person, and immediate, but not every sentance needs to tell us what "we" can see - it's easy to use the third person present along with the first person present to make a less "in your face" script.

Honestly, I still don't notice any difference in terms of description between this episode and others. Some descriptions were repeated, because if you'd watch it on TV the same (or almost the same) camera movements would have been repeated - basically an almost identical scene.

But either way, the next episodes don't repeat any scenes.

Alex Rubit
April 7th, 2006, 08:01 PM
I liked this ep, a nice little one-off. I wish Atlantis/SG-1s one-off's could be as good as this one. I really liked the ref to Atlantis as about 30 seconds before I read this I was thinking how similar the scenario was to Hot Zone!

It's fun to have references like that every now and then, to remind us all that we're in the same Stargate universe. :cameron:

Can't wait for the next ep.

Incidentally, I agree with Ryu about the overuse of the refs to dead bodies. Couldn't we just say that said character is back in the nightmare world or something?

EDIT: Actually, that description is lame. Stick with yours!

Yeah, as I said the description was to underline the fact that the viewer/reader was seeing an almost identical scene. But that definitely would work better if you'd actually be seeing it on TV.

Alex Rubit
April 7th, 2006, 08:04 PM
Well, I enjoyed this one quite a bit. A nice change of pace from the last arc. This one was creepy. I enjoyed the characters acting "out of character" and the interesting interactions that ensued. I liked the references to ascension. It makes you think that maybe the Ancients aren't all that unique after all and maybe other races around the galaxy have and will have the opprtunity to shed their corporeal bodies to reach other planes of existance as a natural progression of their respective evolution. Nice job. Can't wait for the next one.

Speaking of that, what I liked about it was the fact that we encounter aliens who are really alien, as in very different from what we perceive as normal. An upcoming episode will actually feature some other very alien aliens. Look out for those. ;)

Alex Rubit
April 7th, 2006, 08:07 PM
It reminded me alot of StarTrek TNG episode of the same name the one with Diana. I don't know if it was just me, or did you base this episode off that episode partially. Or did it give you some ideas

The short answer: nope.

The little longer answer: it is similar in that they both refer to REM sleep, and what the symptoms are if one were no longer able to reach REM sleep. So, those expositions are similiar, but merely because that's a scientific fact. Other than that, the stories are quite different.

This episode was originally actually never intended to be dark or creepy. In the initial pitch (which was during Season One), the crewmembers were just experiencing identidal dreams, which turned out to be aliens trying to communicate with them. When we picked up the story in Season Two, it just seemed more interesting to make the dreams darker, and have them being nightmares. After that, one lead to the other, and that's how it all came together. ;)

We thought about going for another title because the title had been used on TNG, actually. Ultimately we decided to stick with "Night Terrors", because it was just the title that fit the story best.

NoDot
April 8th, 2006, 10:31 AM
The episode, IMO, wasn't too bad, but one thing bugs me: shouldn't there have been someone else on the station, Vorian or Tau'ri, who could shield themselves from telepathy? I honestly would've expected there to at least be another partitioner of either Psionics (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psionics) or Magick (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magick). (I'm assuming Magick education includes how to block telepathy. Any mages care to confirm that?)

Alex Rubit
April 8th, 2006, 10:51 AM
The episode, IMO, wasn't too bad, but one thing bugs me: shouldn't there have been someone else on the station, Vorian or Tau'ri, who could shield themselves from telepathy? I honestly would've expected there to at least be another partitioner of either Psionics (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psionics) or Magick (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magick). (I'm assuming Magick education includes how to block telepathy. Any mages care to confirm that?)

There's no one else on the station who has those kind of abilities. In "Equilibrium" it was established that only one out of tens of thousands of Vorians (can't remember the exact number off the top of my head) is born with Cai'nan abilities - superior telepathic powers. Sivea is one of them.

We haven't dealt with it too much so far, but she is different from other Vorians. Special, you could say. We haven't even seen the full extent of what she could do. Keep in mind, Cai'nan are known to have been able to kill with only the power of their minds in the past.

In many ways, their abilities are comparable to the Ancients. I would assume that they'd also easily be able to ascend if they'd choose to. Interestingly the Vorian society has deemed them as a threat, and made them using their abilities illegal. I'm sure there's more to come on this subject, as the series goes on. ;)

So, yeah, no one else could do that. Definitely not humans.

Elite Anubis Guard
April 8th, 2006, 11:34 AM
Well...it was OK. I was disappointed with this episode. The sphere thing was pretty predictable, but I thought I saw a twist happening but nope, the road straightened back out. It was slow, didn't really draw me in, which is a shame as this was a really great idea.

NoDot
April 8th, 2006, 11:46 AM
There's no one else on the station who has those kind of abilities.So you're saying no one on the station, except Sivea, can create even (simple?) telepathic shields? Surely there's at least one person who practices psionics or magick, even if they can barely shield themselves.

BTW, mages, speak up! I don't honestly know if any mage training includes shielding, so I need confirmation.

Alex Rubit
April 8th, 2006, 12:00 PM
So you're saying no one on the station, except Sivea, can create even (simple?) telepathic shields? Surely there's at least one person who practices psionics or magick, even if they can barely shield themselves.

Uh, nope. Sorry. No one else.

BTW, mages, speak up! I don't honestly know if any mage training includes shielding, so I need confirmation.

I have no idea what you're talking about.

Alex Rubit
April 8th, 2006, 12:01 PM
Well...it was OK. I was disappointed with this episode. The sphere thing was pretty predictable, but I thought I saw a twist happening but nope, the road straightened back out. It was slow, didn't really draw me in, which is a shame as this was a really great idea.

Well, if twists and shocking surprises are needed to make every episode work... watch out for the final few episodes of this season. Shocking, indeed.

NoDot
April 8th, 2006, 12:40 PM
I have no idea what you're talking about.That wasn't directed at you.

Alex Rubit
April 8th, 2006, 12:43 PM
That wasn't directed at you.

I realize that. But I still have no clue what you're talking about. :cameron:

Elite Anubis Guard
April 9th, 2006, 01:21 AM
Mages, as in Wizards, pychic stuff.

I didn't mean every episode needs twists and stuff, but I found this too predictable when it could have been quite an interesting and unique episode.

Alex Rubit
April 9th, 2006, 10:14 AM
Mages, as in Wizards, pychic stuff.

Well. I guess all wizards on Horizon just weren't paying attention that day.

I didn't mean every episode needs twists and stuff, but I found this too predictable when it could have been quite an interesting and unique episode.

I didn't find this predictable at all, actually. And oddly I actually think it is an interesting and unique episode. It all gets pretty clear in the fifth act, but I won't buy that anyone can tell right from the start that there are these life forms on the station that no one can see, and that they're trying to communicate with the crew telepathically.

But that's just my oppinion. Everyone can have their own oppinions. Some episodes I found were "okay", to my surprise, people ended up loving. In this case, I guess it's the other way around. I think this is a great episode.

NoDot
April 9th, 2006, 10:32 AM
Well. I guess all wizards on Horizon just weren't paying attention that day.More like you people conveniently had all of Horizon's Earth mages and psions on missions off-station or at the Alpha Site at the time. :rolleyes:

OTOH, this reminds me of an idea I had last night. It wouldn't work with Stargate Future, but Horizon might be able to use it. I'll PM you the idea.

Alex Rubit
April 9th, 2006, 11:01 AM
More like you people conveniently had all of Horizon's Earth mages and psions on missions off-station or at the Alpha Site at the time. :rolleyes:

Okay. You figured it out. But you have to admit, it's conveniant. :cameron:

OTOH, this reminds me of an idea I had last night. It wouldn't work with Stargate Future, but Horizon might be able to use it. I'll PM you the idea.

Does the idea involve wizards?

NoDot
April 9th, 2006, 11:02 AM
Does the idea involve wizards?No, the idea doesn't involve mages. I considered adding them, but I decided to leave magick out of it, since I'm not a magick practitioner myself.

Lt. Colonel Ryu Gaia
April 9th, 2006, 11:04 AM
Say, NoDot, are you a Pagan?

NoDot
April 9th, 2006, 11:10 AM
Say, NoDot, are you a Pagan?I am an Atheist. I am a beginning psion.

Lt. Colonel Ryu Gaia
April 9th, 2006, 11:11 AM
That's cool. So... what exactly does/can a psion do?

NoDot
April 9th, 2006, 11:12 AM
That's cool. So... what exactly does/can a psion do?http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psionics
http://www.psionguild.org/

SierraGulf1
April 9th, 2006, 11:34 AM
That's a lot of reading. Sounds interesting, though, perhaps I'll read through it some time.

As for the episode, it seems the comments signify both like and dislike. All I can say is that if you weren't exactly the most fond of it because you thought it predictable, I do hope what we have planned for the remainder of the season will be less so. I think it will.

And if you did like it, we'll keep our best to keep more of the same coming. :jack:

Elite Anubis Guard
April 10th, 2006, 12:51 AM
To be honest, somehow I just can't see Horizon having Wizards and stuff.

SierraGulf1
April 10th, 2006, 06:26 AM
I'd say the closest thing we've had to that is the Cai'nan. Wonder what's up with them lately.

travis
April 11th, 2006, 08:52 PM
Oh man I was so hoping that Sivea was going to use the force, please let her unleash the force in future ep. (may be a full out battle with another cai'nan or that Anoly female that has the Tok'ra in side of her, I believe that Sivea has a score to settle with her for torturing her)

Well I did enoy the read. I do like the fact that the tone of this ep contrast last weeks ep, and that it kinda mention it at the begining.
I dont know about anyone else but I did find this ep a bit scary. I really don't have a stomach for this kind of thing and horro.

I like the scene with Callen and the security cheif with his out burst. Did'nt see that coming with the whole I'm effected by somthing, as I thought it was just him being a distrustful person.
Good to see Christine shaken up instead being all goldylock.
I have to say on top of all the creepy and dead bodies I find this ep to have
nice character development and bonding. My favorite moment is the scene with Callen and Grant in the control room.
I'm begining to really like Callen as I didn't like him that much when his character was brought in:)

Alex Rubit
April 12th, 2006, 08:24 AM
Oh man I was so hoping that Sivea was going to use the force, please let her unleash the force in future ep.

I've been actually thinking about a possible episode idea (that I might pitch for Season Three) that would allow her to do that. I've been wanting to get a chance to do that for some time, since as I keep saying we've only seen very little of what she would be capable of doing so far.

(may be a full out battle with another cai'nan or that Anoly female that has the Tok'ra in side of her, I believe that Sivea has a score to settle with her for torturing her)

Those two definitely have a score to settle.

Well I did enoy the read. I do like the fact that the tone of this ep contrast last weeks ep, and that it kinda mention it at the begining.
I dont know about anyone else but I did find this ep a bit scary. I really don't have a stomach for this kind of thing and horro.

Thanks. I'm glad someone found it scary. :cameron:

Having episodes that contrast each other like that is really one of the great things about this show, I believe. Often in sci-fi it's that way. You can do episodes that are completely different from each other. Just compare "The Fantastic Three" to say "What Comes Before The Dawn..." or "Parti Pris".

I like the scene with Callen and the security cheif with his out burst. Did'nt see that coming with the whole I'm effected by somthing, as I thought it was just him being a distrustful person.

That was really the way it was intended. It shouldn't be too obvious at first, but slowly you start to realize that something's not quite right here.

Good to see Christine shaken up instead being all goldylock.

Definitely. I've always made a point not to necessarily have everything and everyone being back to normal at the end of an episode. We don't have any reset buttons. So very often certain events will be affecting a character for longer periods of time.

I have to say on top of all the creepy and dead bodies I find this ep to have
nice character development and bonding. My favorite moment is the scene with Callen and Grant in the control room.
I'm begining to really like Callen as I didn't like him that much when his character was brought in:)

I have to say, those are all things that I personally liked about it, too. The character moments. I think there's a building friendship between Sivea and Christine, that's slowly evolving. After all, during Season One these two hardly had any scenes together, other than with the rest of the team.

And... you just have to love Callen. Dennis Haysbert is a fantastic actor. :cameron:

Alex Rubit
April 12th, 2006, 08:26 AM
Right now I'm running out of time once again (it's that time where I have to go to work again). But there are two deleted scenes that never made it into the episode that I'll be posting as soon as possible.

Regardless of what you thought of the episode, those were some fun scenes (one of them was a scene where Grant, Chase, David and Tom watch football in Grant's quarters, similiar to the one in "What Comes Before The Dawn..."), but they were cut for length.

Lt. Colonel Ryu Gaia
April 12th, 2006, 07:51 PM
But it was one of the shortest episodes ever!

Alex Rubit
April 12th, 2006, 09:57 PM

I really wouldn't consider a 77 page teleplay short. Okay. Compared to a 91 page teleplay, it was very short. ;)

Alex Rubit
April 12th, 2006, 10:46 PM
And to shorten the wait for "The Adversary", here they are. As promised, two deleted scenes.

I must say it was a hard decision to cut them. I haven't seen them in a while, and after just reading through them I came to realize again how much fun they were. They're both light hearted, for the most part - while still slowly setting up what's happening around the station.

The first one is a scene between Grant and Sivea, taking place in Grant's office. It was early in act one. Some nice moments between the two.

The second scene is actually connected to the first one, because only here we would have found out just why Grant was so insistent that Sivea joins the football night. And, setting up the actual storyline, David seems very, very, very tired in this scene.

This second scene took place in act two, right before the scene with Callen and Bay'lar.

As I said, I think they're fun scenes. But ultimately they would have slowed down the pace too much, made the episode too long, and they're not really crucial to the story. However, you can still enjoy them as deleted scenes. ;)

And the link to them is right here! (http://uk.geocities.com/alex_stargatehorizon/214_deleted_scenes.pdf)

SierraGulf1
April 13th, 2006, 07:08 AM

Yeah, we're trying to narrow down the length since, even with added detail, 80-90 pages would never fit into an hour slot. Some were also saying that certain episodes seemed too long. Traditionally, the second half scripts are 70-75, with a few wandering over or under.

NoDot
April 13th, 2006, 12:51 PM
The first one is a scene between Grant and Sivea, taking place in Grant's office. It was early in act one. Some nice moments between the two.AKA Very shippy! :D

and they're not really crucial to the story.Must... resist... urge... to... argue. Must... resist... ship... debate.

;)

Elite Anubis Guard
April 13th, 2006, 12:56 PM
Interesting deleted scenes.

Lt. Colonel Ryu Gaia
April 13th, 2006, 08:54 PM
Yeah, we're trying to narrow down the length since, even with added detail, 80-90 pages would never fit into an hour slot. Some were also saying that certain episodes seemed too long. Traditionally, the second half scripts are 70-75, with a few wandering over or under.
Well, I suppose that it's good that you're trying to make it fit better into an hour-slot, but quite frankly, you're a virtual series. There's little hope of ever getting this produced, with about one and three quarters of a season already available online, and the legal implications of making a spin-off like this would be rediculously loopy. Being a virtual series comes with its benefits: extra special effects, enormous cast, and no time limit.

By the way, I very much enjoyed the two deleted scenes. Although they would have slowed down the pace of the episode, it's nice to know that they happenned, and are, in a way, canonical fanfiction. I think you should put them up on the site in a section like that! :)

Alex Rubit
April 13th, 2006, 09:27 PM
Well, I suppose that it's good that you're trying to make it fit better into an hour-slot, but quite frankly, you're a virtual series. There's little hope of ever getting this produced, with about one and three quarters of a season already available online, and the legal implications of making a spin-off like this would be rediculously loopy. Being a virtual series comes with its benefits: extra special effects, enormous cast, and no time limit.

That's all true. But we're trying to keep it as realistic as possible.

By the way, I very much enjoyed the two deleted scenes. Although they would have slowed down the pace of the episode, it's nice to know that they happenned, and are, in a way, canonical fanfiction. I think you should put them up on the site in a section like that! :)

I guess that's what they could be described as. ;)

And once we get to the site redesign for Season Three, we'll definitely be including a couple of new sections. One of which for deleted scenes.

Alex Rubit
April 13th, 2006, 09:30 PM
AKA Very shippy! :D

I agree. I just didn't want to say it that way. :cameron:

Must... resist... urge... to... argue. Must... resist... ship... debate.

;)

That was truly one of the main reasons for why it was a tough choice to delete them. Yup. I love these moments between the two as well. They definitely have a chemistry.

But when doing these shows you're often forced to make some difficult sacrifices for the greater good.

Elite Anubis Guard
April 14th, 2006, 12:24 AM

Not everyone wants to sit down and read a 90 paged script every week.

SierraGulf1
April 14th, 2006, 06:34 AM
Yeah, that was the main idea. A lot of folks agreed that perhaps 90 pages was too long to read, and I like that 75 pages isn't too much of a decrease. The "Previously On"s will often make the episode much longer than that, but really they can be skipped unless you need a refresher.

Elite Anubis Guard
April 14th, 2006, 07:42 AM
Ye, I always skip em.

cheese
January 17th, 2007, 09:22 AM
I didn't hate or love "night terrors" I think I fall right in middle.

Some scenes, especially the teaser, felt very familliar from STTNG.

It was nice to see another, agressive and agitated side to everyone's personalities. I think I might have like to see a bit more contrast with Sivea's cool calmness.

Good character moments for Christine and the story was pretty compelling, it was clear the the device was involved, but exactly how was presented in a good way.

Overall though a simple straightfoward episode that is a real contrast from the complexity and ambiguity of the previous three episodes.

Jelda
March 1st, 2007, 08:30 AM
This episode was one of the my favourite... It´s really very good. Great story with "Chris":o

jelgate
December 5th, 2007, 09:29 PM
Jelgate's Two CentsThis wasn't nor was a bad episode. The nice thing about this episode is we get character development for all the characters (especially after reading Alex's deleted scenes:)). It was kind of predictable that the artifact was casuing the nightmares. The description Lenori said about REM sleep on pg 47 is actually incorrect. You enter 1st REM sleep?* after stage 4. The next REM sleep is entered through Stage 3. I wasn't bothered?* by the 77 pages. Its more realastic for an episode to have that lenght. I loved to see the tensions between different character like Callen and Ba'yler/Grant and David.?* Who ?* know that nightmares cause brian anyerusems. Its nice to know that Horizon group finally met a alien enitiy who wasn't try to kill us. I should finish this with Sieva. We got to see more of her Can'an abilities. I'm assuming that why she could enter a lucid dream. Is that also why she was unaffected by the nightmare aliens Shorter episode=shorter review

Alex Rubit
December 5th, 2007, 11:22 PM
The description Lenori said about REM sleep on pg 47 is actually incorrect. You enter 1st REM sleep?* after stage 4. The next REM sleep is entered through Stage 3.

I actually just checked because I couldn't recall how exactly he explained it. I have to say, I don't see where it's incorrect. There was no need to go through an endless amount of detail about how each of the different stages work, because we usually want to keep the "technobabble" as short and to the point as possible. And all Lenori really says is what REM sleep is, and that it's reached in stage four -- which is correct. :)

Whenever something like that's in an episode, it'll be based on research that's done when the episode's written. Gotta love Google and Wikipedia.

We got to see more of her Can'an abilities. I'm assuming that why she could enter a lucid dream. Is that also why she was unaffected by the nightmare aliens

Yup. That's why she was able to do that, and communicate with the aliens.

jelgate
December 6th, 2007, 08:05 AM
I actually just checked because I couldn't recall how exactly he explained it. I have to say, I don't see where it's incorrect. There was no need to go through an endless amount of detail about how each of the different stages work, because we usually want to keep the "technobabble" as short and to the point as possible. And all Lenori really says is what REM sleep is, and that it's reached in stage four -- which is correct. :)Whenever something like that's in an episode, it'll be based on research that's done when the episode's written. Gotta love Google and Wikipedia.Yup. That's why she was able to do that, and communicate with the aliens.Oh I not going to complain?* about it because there is only a little inaccuracy but we enter REM stage?* 5 times a night and only two of them come from stage 4 1-2 times a night. Look at thispicture (http://mywebpages.comcast.net/epollak/PSY255_pix/sleepstages1.JPG)

Alex Rubit
December 6th, 2007, 09:21 AM
Oh I not going to complain?* about it because there is only a little inaccuracy but we enter REM stage?* 5 times a night and only two of them come from stage 4 1-2 times a night. Look at thispicture (http://mywebpages.comcast.net/epollak/PSY255_pix/sleepstages1.JPG)

I remember reading about all those various sleep stages (we take research like that very seriously), but, like I said, I decided that all those details didn't need to be mentioned in the script. It was more important to merely get a story point across.

Wineblood
December 6th, 2007, 12:45 PM
Look at thispicture (http://mywebpages.comcast.net/epollak/PSY255_pix/sleepstages1.JPG)

That dates back from 1978.

And, who sleeps 7 hours? I clock in 10 hours minimum.

jelgate
December 6th, 2007, 12:48 PM
That dates back from 1978.And, who sleeps 7 hours? I clock in 10 hours minimum.To be fair I am in Psycholgy class and realized the inaccuracy in the sleep stages error in this episode. If you want I can show you a more up to date graph but it will show the same results. I should say it was a small error and didn't bother me that much. I sleep 7 -8 hours every night. I don't know many people who get to sleep 10 hours. Of course, some people need more sleep than others

Alex Rubit
December 6th, 2007, 01:15 PM
Well, like I said in my reply above, I don't think this is an error. Lenori doesn't mention all the details, but what he does say, is correct.

At the end of the day you have to ask yourself, what's more important? Potentially boring an audience by having one of your characters take them through each of the various sleeping stages, explaining in detail how each of them work, and then, eventually, moving the story forward? Or get to what really matters, and move the story forward? Lenori doesn't even mention any of the other sleep stages, and honestly, why should he?

What really matters is explaining what REM sleep is, which is what the episode does. And what happens if you're not able to reach REM sleep, which the episode also explains and shows. And like I also said, Lenori's explanation wasn't pulled out of a hat, it was based on research that was done for this specific episode.

If someone thinks this is an error, that's okay. I won't agree with that, but it also doesn't bother me, for the reasons that I just stated. And now, could we please just move on? :)

jelgate
December 6th, 2007, 02:04 PM
Alex, I'm sorry if you thought that it really bothered me because it didn't. I just wanted to point put my dislikes about the episode. Overall it was an average and enjoyable episode

Alex Rubit
December 7th, 2007, 10:18 AM
Alex, I'm sorry if you thought that it really bothered me because it didn't. I just wanted to point put my dislikes about the episode. Overall it was an average and enjoyable episode

No worries. That's perfectly fine. Everyone can and should point out the things they don't like. That's part of the business. :)