Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smallville Faces Lawsuit

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index...ory=0&id=35291

A federal judge in Los Angeles has found that Smallville may be infringing on the copyrights held by the widow and daughter of Jerome Siegel, who created the Superboy character for DC Comics, Variety reported. More ...
    sigpic

Oh, come on. What a bunch of crap.
    sigpic
    MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
    "...phu...ah..."
    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I agree that Siegel should have gotten more recognition and money out of Superman during his life (although, on the other hand, it kept him in constant employment for 20 years which is more than most people get) but I'm not big into this whole idea of relatives coming out of the woodwork for a slice of the pie after his death. Especially not in the manner of the Siegel family who not only want cash but also a creative veto over future stories (which they've already been awarded for the Superman material itself.

I think they have a case, all right, as the law stands and I'm very surprised they weren't already getting a chunk of cash out of Smallville.

I mean, they already get the money from properties like Steel and Legion of Super-Heroes and (IIRC) they get payments from every Justice League comic regardless of whether or not Superman appears. And I think they get some money from Nightwing too (even though Nightwing is a Batman character, and the name 'Nightwing' wasn't coined by Siegel, the name 'Nightwing' *was* originally a secret identity of Superman's, so the Siegels get some ownership rights over the Dick Grayson character).

Plainly, the law is pretty unbalanced on the point at the moment so I fully expect them to win this case.

And, I have to say, while the creative control clauses are WAY over the line IMHO, I'm not particularly thrilled with the whole idea of 'inheriting concepts'. I DO think Siegel was screwed over in his lifetime and that he was owed a lot of money. And I do think that if that wasn't made right in his lifetime then the next best thing is for his Estate to be given the money he was owed.

But the idea of ongoing payments to his family for new stuff done over Siegel's death doesn't sit right with me. When someone inherits a company, say, from a parent what they're getting is an opportunity to work and make money. A leg up in the world, you might say. But what this sort of thing does is tell people that they *never* have to bother working. Because of an accident of birth they get to simply sit back and skim money off the top of other people's efforts without having done a damn thing to earn that right.

Comment

This doesn't sound good
        Tis No Fool to lose what He can not keep, To gain what he will never Lose

Comment

Originally posted by creed462
          This doesn't sound good
          No, it does not. Let's just hope things work themselves out.
          sigpic
          "...phu...ah..."

Comment

superboy is just stupid and awful

worse than farscrape
            Last edited by NakedJehutyV2; 11 April 2006, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nuallain
              I agree that Siegel should have gotten more recognition and money out of Superman during his life (although, on the other hand, it kept him in constant employment for 20 years which is more than most people get) but I'm not big into this whole idea of relatives coming out of the woodwork for a slice of the pie after his death. Especially not in the manner of the Siegel family who not only want cash but also a creative veto over future stories (which they've already been awarded for the Superman material itself.

I think they have a case, all right, as the law stands and I'm very surprised they weren't already getting a chunk of cash out of Smallville.

I mean, they already get the money from properties like Steel and Legion of Super-Heroes and (IIRC) they get payments from every Justice League comic regardless of whether or not Superman appears. And I think they get some money from Nightwing too (even though Nightwing is a Batman character, and the name 'Nightwing' wasn't coined by Siegel, the name 'Nightwing' *was* originally a secret identity of Superman's, so the Siegels get some ownership rights over the Dick Grayson character).

Plainly, the law is pretty unbalanced on the point at the moment so I fully expect them to win this case.

And, I have to say, while the creative control clauses are WAY over the line IMHO, I'm not particularly thrilled with the whole idea of 'inheriting concepts'. I DO think Siegel was screwed over in his lifetime and that he was owed a lot of money. And I do think that if that wasn't made right in his lifetime then the next best thing is for his Estate to be given the money he was owed.

But the idea of ongoing payments to his family for new stuff done over Siegel's death doesn't sit right with me. When someone inherits a company, say, from a parent what they're getting is an opportunity to work and make money. A leg up in the world, you might say. But what this sort of thing does is tell people that they *never* have to bother working. Because of an accident of birth they get to simply sit back and skim money off the top of other people's efforts without having done a damn thing to earn that right.
              It seems no amount of money is ever enough for some people. They are probably only threatening the lawsuit so that Smallvill will throw some money at them, (an out of court settlement) and make them go away. Sad, but probably true.

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

If I were Smallville...i would tell them to get bent.

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man
                  Oh, come on. What a bunch of crap.
                  I would have thought that Smallville's (WB) lawyers would have already looked at any potential lawsuits before taking the show to air. I'm hoping they accept the challenge and go to court. Let them portray these would be bloodsuckers for what they are!

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

Originally posted by GateMan2000
                    If I were Smallville...i would tell them to get bent.
                    Totally agree with ya there.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ancient 1
                      I would have thought that Smallville's (WB) lawyers would have already looked at any potential lawsuits before taking the show to air. I'm hoping they accept the challenge and go to court. Let them portray these would be bloodsuckers for what they are!
                      I second that.
                      sigpic
                      "...phu...ah..."

Comment

DC Comics recently killed "Superboy" in Infinite Crisis #6. They may have done it in response to this stupid lawsuit.

The show Smallville has never used the word "Superboy". The character is called Clark Kent, or Kal-El.

This lawsuit is just a shakedown for money, and I hope that the WB lawyers fight it. Heck, cancel the series before giving in to these criminals. Sue them, and drive them to bankruptcy. Make an example out of them. Legally destroy their lives in a series of lawsuits. Legally, of course.

Comment

Well, the same man created "Clark Kent"; "Kal-EL"; "Jor-El"; "Lex Luthor"; "Ma and Pa Kent"; "Lois Lane"; "Metropolis"; "Smallville"; "Milton Fine"; "Kryptonite"; "Daily Planet" and a bunch of other things that are called by name in the show. I'm 90% sure he created "The Fortress of Solitude"; "Krypton" (definitely in concept, almost certainly by name) too. He even gets a "Created By" credit in every episode.

I think, ultimately, he *is* the creator of the work on which all of Smallville is based and I have no problem in recognizing that. If Siegel was alive today I'd have no problem with his having a paycheck and a veto. But being related to him is not the same thing as being him.

Really, considering that every episode they already pay a guy who did nothing more than turn in a rejected story treatment with the name "Smallville" on it, I don't know how they hadn't realized this was going to happen five years ago.

Comment

I think the guy suing is just jealous and is attempting to get money for something that isn't his.
                            http://www.change.gov

The reason you should vote Republican in 2010.

Comment

Another quick way to make money...

Comment

Working...
                              X