This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Halling and Jinto moments

Where do you guys think they are going with all the character development involving Jinto and Halling?

Think Halling will contribute to Atlantis later in the show or trade us in to the Wraith to save his son?

I think they're meant to be our Warm Fuzzy Reminder of the Meaning of Family. *rolls eyes* Comes across very heavy-handed to me and I don't particularly care for either character, but I guess we'll see what happens.

Comment

for some reason this poped into my head while watching Hide and Seak....Teyla will be in Sheppard team...so someone else will have to be the leader of the ppl...and Halling looks like a perfect man for the job....and his son just shows his responsabilities...

Comment

I enjoy seeing the Hallling and Jinto moments. It is one of the things that make Atlantis different from SG-1. I hope that they keep them.

Comment

Originally posted by JackFrost
          Where do you guys think they are going with all the character development involving Jinto and Halling?

Think Halling will contribute to Atlantis later in the show or trade us in to the Wraith to save his son?
          Jinto, who is now becoming a "fan" of Maj. Sheppard, certainly has huge potential for character development (hopefully not a sad one... - character developments can be ambivalent). It won't be a bad idea if Jinto becomes more and more involved in later seasons, but as usually, I expect that would mainly or entirely dependent on how the contracts is going to be worked out.

Comment

Spoiler for Hide and Seek

What happened to Halling? They mentioned how they wanted the Athosians to be careful with Ancient technology b/c they didn't want a repeat of what happened to Halling.

Did the actor injur his leg prior to the shoot and they used a quick one-liner to explain it away?

Comment

Every show needs a mom/dad - son/daughter relationship. It adds that extra level of "I hope he finds him/her..." Oh SG1 we had Janet/Cassandra.

Comment

Originally posted by JackFrost

I hope they remain on as recurring or regulars.

I doubt very much that the Athosians are feeding the Wraith information, least of all, Halling.

The Halling and Jinto parts seem the least "scripted" of the whole show, to me. The kid who never stops asking questions, who idolizes the strong(at first both kids want to play the powerful Wraith; now they want to be Sheppard, who beat the Wraith.) He tries to be good, but he has to play. The father who is strict but who has suffered enough to know that a child doesn't have a lot of time to be innocent, who wants his son to know some happiness.

Sounds like a very normal father/son relationship to me.

Personally, I'm glad there is such a mix of characters on Atlantis. The SGC is (was?) a secret, hidden underground, run and defended by a rigidly structured military mindset(well, more or less ). Atlantis is a city, out in the open, run by a diplomat with a defense force as part of her mainly civilian, scientific team.

Both shows should strive to reflect these differences.
                Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
                "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
                One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
                resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
                confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
                A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
                The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
                  I hope they remain on as recurring or regulars.

I doubt very much that the Athosians are feeding the Wraith information, least of all, Halling.

The Halling and Jinto parts seem the least "scripted" of the whole show, to me. The kid who never stops asking questions, who idolizes the strong(at first both kids want to play the powerful Wraith; now they want to be Sheppard, who beat the Wraith.) He tries to be good, but he has to play. The father who is strict but who has suffered enough to know that a child doesn't have a lot of time to be innocent, who wants his son to know some happiness.

Sounds like a very normal father/son relationship to me.

Personally, I'm glad there is such a mix of characters on Atlantis. The SGC is (was?) a secret, hidden underground, run and defended by a rigidly structured military mindset(well, more or less ). Atlantis is a city, out in the open, run by a diplomat with a defense force as part of her mainly civilian, scientific team.

Both shows should strive to reflect these differences.
                  Couldn't have said it better myself.

Comment

I like the father son team personally. Halling is very passionate about his son and that could lead him to betray anyone to protect him. That doesn't make him a bad guy, but it could be something for a future plot twist. And I wonder what happened to Jinto's mom?
                    This has probably been mentioned before, but I'm going to ask, is Halling ( Christopher Heyerdal?) the same guy who played Pallen in Revisions? I went back through the episodes guide, but I couldn't find anything out. My 'puter is acting silly It needs to be tended to .

Comment

Im sorry, but did it make anyone else sick to their stomach when father and son had that touching moment when trying to go to sleep...

"All I am sure of is my love for you"
                      or something like that...

Maybe it was just the fact that me and my father never had a good repor.

Comment

I like Halling and Jinto. There relationship is there to give us that we're all human reminder. The whole Athosian presence in my opinion lends this sort of Babylon 5 quality to the show which I like because it does make it different from SG1. I think that the show will probably incorporate some more B5 like ideas in terms of the social structure in Atlantis but with a more positive and unique Stargate spin. I don't think it would become the sometimes dark place that B5 could be with all the lower levels and stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by AtlantisRising
                          Im sorry, but did it make anyone else sick to their stomach when father and son had that touching moment when trying to go to sleep...

"All I am sure of is my love for you"
                          or something like that...

Maybe it was just the fact that me and my father never had a good repor.
                          Sorry to read that, about you and your dad, AR.

Halling didn't have the particular answer to Jinto's question. He gave his son the best truthful answer that he could under the circumstances.

I've got 4 teens living at home. We are quite close, and the stomach-turning stuff from H&S is pretty much the routine with us. Not bragging, it just happens to be the way it is - for a lot of families. Halling and Jinto seem realistic, to me.

Also, remember that Halling and Jinto come from a much less convoluted society. There's probably no measurable stresses on their life, beyond what the Wraith cause. At least, not compared to the stresses of our society.
                          Last edited by Tok'Ra Hostess; 29 July 2004, 06:40 AM. Reason: to add:
                          Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
                          "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
                          One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
                          resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
                          confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
                          A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
                          The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
                            Halling and Jinto seem realistic, to me.
                            They do to me, as well. Yes, there are going to sugary moments - this is TV, after all! But as long as they don't succumb to the dreaded "WesleyCrusher-itis", I can't find it in my heart to complain too much.
                            Only those whose lives are brief can imagine that love is eternal. You should embrace that remarkable illusion. It may be the greatest gift your race has ever received. - Lorien

Comment

I know Halling is concerned for his son's safety and that Atlantis is a new and potentially dangerous place, but I find his affection toward Jinto a little... haunting. He seems a little obsessed with his son. It's not so much what he says that gets me, but how he says it. He comes off as a little clingy. His concern for Jinto might even be a little dangerous. As it's been said before, it'd be interesting to see if he'd betray the SGC:A for his son.

Or maybe the actor is just over-doing the whole "worrying dad" thing.
                              It's a Fargate! It's different.

Comment

Working...
                              X