PDA

View Full Version : Common Ground

aAnubiSs
April 4th, 2006, 12:03 AM
http://www.gateworld.net/news/2006/04/sheppardandgeniiseekcommon.shtml

So what do you think? Personally I look forward to see what's different with this Wraith.

Lone Wolf
April 4th, 2006, 12:45 AM
Sounds like a good idea so far.

shockwave
April 4th, 2006, 02:01 AM
this is probably the episode with as working title "Wraith Fight Club"

Agent_Dark
April 4th, 2006, 02:40 AM
It'll be good to see Koyla again, if the actor's availability works out :)

Eoin
April 4th, 2006, 02:55 AM
Hmmm, this ep sounds good, hopefully we get some info from the wraith thats "different"
EDIT: Oops, forgot to mention that im looking forward to seeing koyla again :D

knowsfords
April 4th, 2006, 04:49 AM
Vegetarian wraith I'm betting :)

ToasterOnFire
April 4th, 2006, 05:40 AM
Now these spoilers sound interesting. Genii! Koyla! :D

A wraith who acts differently because he's been cut off from the hive does sound a bit Borg-y though. Hopefully this will give the baddies some much needed development.

And speaking of development, here's to hoping that Shep gets as much as possible.

FoolishPleasure
April 4th, 2006, 05:52 AM
If Kolya is back - I'm there!

The Prophet
April 4th, 2006, 06:00 AM
Wonder what the new Wraith' name is? We've had Steve, Bob & Greg. Sam? Richard? Tom? Grevizalius? :D Here's hoping that we actually find out his true name! (& More depth for Wraith, Sheppard & Koyla).

Cory Holmes
April 4th, 2006, 06:03 AM
Anything with Koyla in it will rock. He just oozes antagonism.

gooner_diva
April 4th, 2006, 06:51 AM
Coup d'etat I had a feeling it was written for Kolya as opposed to Ladon.

Anyway, YAY! My favourite baddie is back. :D

Dave C
April 4th, 2006, 06:53 AM
Could this be the recurring wraith talked about in s3 spoilers?

GatetheWay
April 4th, 2006, 06:58 AM
I think the reoccuring Wraith is Michael. And YEAH I hope to God Kolya comes back because that was what season 2 was seriously lacking: the GEnii and Kolya. I hope we have more then one Genii ep this season.

Prior_of_the_Ori
April 4th, 2006, 07:09 AM
Coup d'etat I had a feeling it was written for Kolya as opposed to Ladon.

Anyway, YAY! My favourite baddie is back. :D

Kolya was supposed to be in that episode its just the actors schedule did not allow it to happen so they put Ladon in. I wonder what happened to Ladon and good to see that the Genii havent turn into complete good guys after the Coup.

gooner_diva
April 4th, 2006, 07:24 AM
Kolya was supposed to be in that episode its just the actors schedule did not allow it to happen so they put Ladon in.
Err, I know. :S I read that in the article linked above. I was just surprised to see my suspicions confirmed.

prion
April 4th, 2006, 09:01 AM
http://www.gateworld.net/news/2006/04/sheppardandgeniiseekcommon.shtml

So what do you think? Personally I look forward to see what's different with this Wraith.

"Sheppard is essentially in a cell adjacent to a Wraith trapped by a famous Genii commander. Hopefully it's Kolya, if he's available. And that Wraith has been in that cell for who knows how many years, and has been separated from the hive. And there's a bit of a difference between how he behaves and how he interacts with Sheppard."

It sounds like it could be good if done well. I'd like to see Kolya get his hands on Sheppard.

Martin Gero:
The episode is being written by Stargate newcomer Ken Cuperus. "He's going to write his first episode, 'Common Ground,' that I think the fans are really going to like. It deals] with Sheppard, [and] the return of Kolya, possibly. I think it will be really neat."

Honestly I hope Carl Binder has some influence on this script as he's done some good character development in past episodes. I hope we don't get any stupid frathouse humor; black humor, fine, frathouse, no no no.

Did some digging on Ken Cuperus

Beyblade: The Movie - Fierce Battle (video) - Writer (head writer) 2004
The Doodlebops (TV series) - Writer (writer) 2004
Jacob Two-Two (TV series) - Writer (story) 2003
My Dad the Rock Star (TV series) - Writer (head writer) 2003
Beyblade (TV series) - Writer (head writer) 2002
Moville Mysteries (TV series) - Writer (writer) 2002
Medabots (TV series) - Writer (writer) 2001
Quads! (TV series) - Writer (writer) 2001
Pecola (TV series) - Writer (writer) 2001
George Shrinks (TV series) - Writer (writer) 2000
Marvin the Tap-Dancing Horse (TV series) - Writer (writer) 2000
Maggie and the Ferocious Beast (TV series) - Writer (writer) 2000
The Big Pickle (short) - Jimmy 1997
Freaky Stories (TV series) - Writer (writer) 1997

So, cartoons... he also got the job by submitting a freelance script and quoting an unnamed source in which Ken said "I wrote a freelance script for the series last month, (specifically for "Stargate: Atlantis" -- but the same staff is responsible for both shows) and despite being pretty wildly off the mark on a few character voices, I guess they liked my work well enough to give me a shot."

One hopes that the character voice he was "wildly off" on will be corrected in the episode. So, I have trepidation about a new writer cutting his teeth on the first Shep-background-oriented episode we've been promised.

Darren
April 4th, 2006, 12:15 PM
Joe F. did mention on stage last week that Brad was doing a rewrite on "Common Ground." I'm sure that the Keeper of Atlantis will make the dialogue true to character. :)

FallenAngelII
April 4th, 2006, 12:18 PM
Not to mention if he's been there for a "long time", he should've died already.

PG15
April 4th, 2006, 12:21 PM
Not to mention if he's been there for a "long time", he should've died already.

Hmm, perhaps the reason for this is in the episode.

Don't you think?

Karec
April 4th, 2006, 12:26 PM
Friendly Wraith Joins The Team And Feeds Of Cows!!!

FallenAngelII
April 4th, 2006, 12:33 PM
Hmm, perhaps the reason for this is in the episode.

Don't you think?

I'm just pointing it out as another interesting aspect of this Wraith.

starfox
April 4th, 2006, 12:36 PM
I want to see Kolya again. I'm torn between a) wanting him to show up and antagonize and torture and then disappear before the Atlantis team can capture/kill him so he can come back in later eps, and b) wanting John to shoot him because, honestly, that's the smart thing to do in that situation.

The Wraith angle will be interesting as well. They're always more interesting when they're away from the Hive mind. Just don't make us ally with them, or I may have to gag.

PG15
April 4th, 2006, 12:38 PM
I'm just pointing it out as another interesting aspect of this Wraith.

Ah. I agree then.

Sorry, so hard to read people's tone on a message board. :o

coolove
April 4th, 2006, 01:59 PM
Koya is a good nemesis for Shep. I'm hoping they keep him around for years to come.

prion
April 4th, 2006, 03:12 PM
Joe F. did mention on stage last week that Brad was doing a rewrite on "Common Ground." I'm sure that the Keeper of Atlantis will make the dialogue true to character. :)

Phew. Sorry, but cartoon writers can be scary, as yes, I have seen Saturday morning cartoons as an adult and believe me, Bugs Bunny was a lot more mature than the dreck they churn out now (and I'm talking the original Bugs, not the new *shudder* improved version).

prion
April 4th, 2006, 03:17 PM
I want to see Kolya again. I'm torn between a) wanting him to show up and antagonize and torture and then disappear before the Atlantis team can capture/kill him so he can come back in later eps, and b) wanting John to shoot him because, honestly, that's the smart thing to do in that situation.

The Wraith angle will be interesting as well. They're always more interesting when they're away from the Hive mind. Just don't make us ally with them, or I may have to gag.

I would like some definite antagonism between Shep and Kolya (if they get Davi back) because I'm sorry, they can sorta play nice like in "Brotherhood," but Kolya is a man who cold-bloodedly shot down two men, who had McKay tortured, and if he really wants info, and has Shep in his clutches, shoudl torture Shep as well, or at least deprive him of food or sleep. Wait, well, that is torture.

If Kolya escapes, I'd almost prefer that the Atlantis folk have two choices: a) save Sheppard from some dire fate (bleeding to death), etc. or b) going after Kolya. THat way we get our cake and eat it too and Kolya can come back for another day.

rarocks24
April 4th, 2006, 03:24 PM
Wonder what the new Wraith' name is? We've had Steve, Bob & Greg. Sam? Richard? Tom? Grevizalius? :D Here's hoping that we actually find out his true name! (& More depth for Wraith, Sheppard & Koyla).
Probably John.

prion
April 4th, 2006, 04:04 PM
Ah, shoot shoot shoot shoot shoot shoot shoot....

Just found out the John Sheppard backstory will NOT be covered in this episode. ANother writer is going to tackle it in anohter episode.

My hopes: it's Carl Binder, who has a handle on good characterization.

My fear: it will air in the 'second half' which means 2007!

Oh well....

The Prophet
April 4th, 2006, 05:18 PM
Probably John.

John?!

The Multitude of John
By The Prophet

:sheppard: Err.. Hi! What's your name?
:wraith37: Your Death!
:sheppard: Again? Nah, let's call you... John! That's a good name!
:wraith37: John? Pah! What is your name then mammal?
:sheppard: John!
:wraith37: ...errr?
:sheppard: Hi John! I'm John!
(carries on for 8 hours)
:wraith37: Why can't i die?!...
:jack: Hi! I'm also John!
:sheppard: I thought you were Jack? And how did you get here?
:jack: My real name's Johnathan & I'm Guest Starring on Atlantis.
:sheppard: Goodie!!! Well, Hi John, I'm John. John this is John & John this is John
:jack: Hiya John!
:wraith37: Why?.... *sob*
:cool: I'm going to make you quiet in there or my name isn't John Harrison!
:wraith37: *Bursts into Tears* Why?!....

Credits
-------------------
:sheppard: Lieutenant Colonal John Sheppard
:jack: Brigadier General Johnathan "Jack" O'Neill
:wraith37: John "I Am Your Death" Wraith

Minor Roles
--------------------
:cool: -John Harrison (Genii Guard)

Shonaille
April 4th, 2006, 05:57 PM

Just found out the John Sheppard backstory will NOT be covered in this episode. ANother writer is going to tackle it in anohter episode.

Oh well....

How do you know that??

NakedJehutyV2
April 4th, 2006, 06:05 PM
this will show that wraith aren't evil. just like humans some are and some aren't

prion
April 4th, 2006, 06:24 PM
How do you know that??

Got a source, that's all I'm saying :)

Shonaille
April 4th, 2006, 06:36 PM

That's cool. At least we are guaranteed two episodes focusing on Shep solely for season three:) And I'm not surprised that they wouldn't give Shep's backstory to a new writer, it wouldn't make sense with all the revisions the script would have to go through, might as well have a veteran writer do it on his own.

NotAscended
April 4th, 2006, 07:00 PM
That's cool. At least we are guaranteed two episodes focusing on Shep solely for season three:) And I'm not surprised that they wouldn't give Shep's backstory to a new writer, it wouldn't make sense with all the revisions the script would have to go through, might as well have a veteran writer do it on his own.

Yes, please, Shep needs some nice meaty story lines, and a face-to-face with Kolya promises to be filled with tension. The last time they met in The Brotherhood, didn't John say he would kill him if he tried to hurt the SGA folks again?

the fifth man
April 4th, 2006, 09:47 PM
Man, if Kolya does return, that's going to freaking rule. I really liked his character, and enjoy the performance of the actor who plays him.

aAnubiSs
April 4th, 2006, 10:28 PM
Man, if Kolya does return, that's going to freaking rule. I really liked his character, and enjoy the performance of the actor who plays him.
I agree 100%

FallenAngelII
April 5th, 2006, 02:37 AM
this will show that wraith aren't evil. just like humans some are and some aren't

We already covered this in "Instinct", "Michael" and "Allies". Also to some extent in "Condemned". The Wraith in "Condemned" allowed that planet to carry on as a normal planet as long as they got a few humans to feed on once in a while.

Shonaille
April 5th, 2006, 07:47 AM
We already covered this in "Instinct", "Michael" and "Allies". Also to some extent in "Condemned". The Wraith in "Condemned" allowed that planet to carry on as a normal planet as long as they got a few humans to feed on once in a while.

I'm not sure if Condemned is a good example, the wraith were still killing people and that's wrong. What that planet's government had sanctioned, to save a select few, was probably more evil that what the wraith usually do but doesn't change the fact that the Wraith kill people to survive. In Allies, I found what the Wraith queen did to be very disturbing as well, I'm not sure the wraith are evil, they kill to survive but that doesn't make it right for their victims. The only sympathetic wraith I've seen so far are the one's introduced in 'Instinct' and 'Michael'.

prion
April 5th, 2006, 08:33 AM
Yes, please, Shep needs some nice meaty story lines, and a face-to-face with Kolya promises to be filled with tension. The last time they met in The Brotherhood, didn't John say he would kill him if he tried to hurt the SGA folks again?

Uh yup, Shep did promise that!

Elinor
April 6th, 2006, 05:41 AM

Thanks for that Prion!

I like that there are going to be at least 2 episodes focusing on Shep to look forward to...yes...I like that very much!!

http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/lachen/laughing-smiley-010.gif

creed462
April 6th, 2006, 06:26 AM
Sounds interesting, I wounder if this wriath be sane or like the defient one

jenks
April 6th, 2006, 06:45 AM
Vegetarian wraith I'm betting :)

I hope no tree's were injured during the filming of the ep... or even worse, I couldn't bare to watch a poor defenceless watermelon get wraithed...:(

Kanten
April 6th, 2006, 10:36 PM

I vote for Ted. Most definitely will be another one-syllable name, as Sheppard seems to have a thing for them. Steve, Bob, Greg, Mike, all one syllable.

nightowl300
April 11th, 2006, 10:15 AM
How about Jim, Phil, Pete, Bart, or some very unique name that no one can pronounce.

Melyanna
April 17th, 2006, 08:26 AM

Oh well....
Thanks for the information. I thought it was odd and a little bothersome that they were letting someone new to the franchise write the back story of the main character. I feel much better knowing it's Carl Binder (as indicated at the end of this interview on The Real World (http://www.gateworld.net/news/2006/04/binderwantedtowritethereal.shtml)) writing it.

Here's hoping that it won't get cut a third time.

Elinor
April 26th, 2006, 04:03 AM
Read a con report of JF's recent appearance at Starfest and he said that he has filmed scenes with Robert Davi!! Kolya's back!

How cool is that?!! http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/aktion/action-smiley-017.gif

Linzi
April 26th, 2006, 06:02 AM
Read a con report of JF's recent appearance at Starfest and he said that he has filmed scenes with Robert Davi!! Kolya's back!

How cool is that?!! http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/aktion/action-smiley-017.gif
That's the best news I've heard about season 3 so far. I've wanted Kolya to come back for ages. There'd better be some whump, and some good interaction between Sheppard and Kolya. I didn't like the Kolya in Brotherhood, he seemed so...weak and pathetic. I like the Kolya of The Storm/Eye. I want to see Sheppard's nemesis back again. So, fingers crossed that this will be a tense and exciting episode.

nightowl300
April 28th, 2006, 11:07 AM

This will hopefully be a really cool episode. I'm hoping for some good interaction between them like in The Storm and The Eye.

nemisis
May 1st, 2006, 05:59 AM
Hmmm, this ep sounds good, hopefully we get some info from the wraith thats "different"
EDIT: Oops, forgot to mention that im looking forward to seeing koyla again :D

same ere

Matt G
May 4th, 2006, 12:46 PM

WOO HOO!:sheppard: :)