PDA

View Full Version : Spoilers for "The Real World"(Finally)

lilslim142000
April 2nd, 2006, 12:56 PM
This was posted in the casting notice in one of the acting sites I frequent. They had the storyline for the episode, and it also said O'Neill (RDA) is going to be in it.

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

STORY LINE: Dr. Elizabeth Weir awakens in a sanitarium, just outside Washington D.C., only to discover that she's been in a catatonic state for the past few days, and all her ramblings about Stargate and Atlantis
are simply figments of her imagination -- triggered by a tragedy that has caused her mind to shut down. However, slowly, Weir begins to sense something is amiss. This new world she's experiencing is an induced hypnosis, manipulated by a villainous creature hell-bent on controlling her mind...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anywone having flashback from Farscape episode "Won't Get Fooled Again"?

This is very unoriginal, they did this on Stargate SG-1. Also this episode is very similar to the Buffy episode called"Normal Again"

The Prophet
April 2nd, 2006, 01:06 PM
A late April Fools Joke?

Anyone reminded of that Buffy Episode where she's in a Mental Asylum imagining everything?

Edit- Didn't read the last part of your post, thought it was your sig! Yeah, Normal Again, that's it!

lilslim142000
April 2nd, 2006, 01:28 PM
This is NOT a April fool's Joke: This is REAL. A insider from the show who posts on the Stargate forum on trekbbs.com posted this.

ShadowMaat
April 2nd, 2006, 01:34 PM
How incredibly depressing to have Atlantis go down YET ANOTHER well-traveled and entirely unnecessary route. :rolleyes:

And the first person who says "there are no more original ideas" is going to be smacked. :P There's unoriginal and then there's blatant, lazy rip-off.

Luz
April 2nd, 2006, 01:40 PM
And the first person who says "there are no more original ideas" is going to be smacked. :P There's unoriginal and then there's blatant, lazy rip-off.
*LOL* I'm you on this, i try to give episodes a chance most of the time, but first the stupid 'fat guy' idea, and now this?, i read *this* fanfiction a while ago.

The Prophet
April 2nd, 2006, 01:46 PM
It isn't? Sorry, but i'm going to remain skeptical until I see the Yellow Print on Gateworld before I admit defeat.

So, this is the end for SG-1 & SGA and the Start of

Stargate:It's All In Weir's Mind!

Yay! With guest appearances of Halluciogenic Characters played by Rachael Lutrell, David Hewett, Joe Flanigan & Jason Momoa!

Yeah, there are no more original ideas in Sci-Fi (protects handsom face from vicious smacking). Anyhow, if it is... (must...strain...to...say....it...) Real *gasp* it sounds rather amusing. I wonder who the Creature who's hell-bent on controllling Weir's mind is? A Techy Wraith?

gooner_diva
April 2nd, 2006, 01:49 PM
How incredibly depressing to have Atlantis go down YET ANOTHER well-traveled and entirely unnecessary route. :rolleyes:

I guess I was wrong in thinking S3 couldn't get any worse than S2. :S This episode sounds nearly as idiotic as Irresistible. I refuse to believe Binder wrote it. Not to mention it bears a peculiar resemblance to a fanfiction I read about a year ago.

ShadowMaat
April 2nd, 2006, 01:51 PM
I think I remember reading a blurb for that fic and thinking, "How stupid can you get?" Guess now I know. ;)

No offense to the fic's author and I never actually read it so maybe it was meant to be funny, but it's SO "been there, done that" that I personally can't see any value to it whatsoever. Not as a fic and sure as hell not as an actual ep.

ToasterOnFire
April 2nd, 2006, 01:54 PM
*cough* "Home" *cough*
:rolleyes:

ShadowMaat
April 2nd, 2006, 01:58 PM
*cough* "Home" *cough*
:rolleyes:
Yup. That, too. Bad enough when they cannibalize SG-1, but when they're stealing stuff out of their own books... :rolleyes:

Wraith_Hunter
April 2nd, 2006, 02:15 PM
This was posted in the casting notice in one of the acting sites I frequent. They had the storyline for the episode, and it also said O'Neill (RDA) is going to be in it.

Quote:

STORY LINE: Dr. Elizabeth Weir awakens in a sanitarium, just outside Washington D.C., only to discover that she's been in a catatonic state for the past few days, and all her ramblings about Stargate and Atlantis
are simply figments of her imagination -- triggered by a tragedy that has caused her mind to shut down. However, slowly, Weir begins to sense something is amiss. This new world she's experiencing is an induced hypnosis, manipulated by a villainous creature hell-bent on controlling her mind...

This is very unoriginal, they did this on Stargate SG-1. Also this episode is very similar to the Buffy episode called"Normal Again"

Already posted here around 5 days ago!

Original Post (http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?p=5092169&highlight=STORY+LINE%3A+Dr.+Elizabeth+Weir+awakens+in+a+sanitarium%2C+just+outsi de+Washington+D.C.%2C+only+to+discover+that+she%27s+been+catatonic+state+for+the +past+few+days%2C+all+her+ramblings+about+Stargate+Atlantis#post5092169)

gatelover12
April 2nd, 2006, 04:43 PM
I read half of this fic, lost interest.

jonno
April 2nd, 2006, 07:28 PM
Well - it's not as bad as i was expecting after reading through the sulky thread ... i was expecting something completely ... moronic (more pupppets?). Having said that, it's a bit depressing when they're ripping themselves off within two seasons.

Still - at least there's some scope for it to be a vaguely entertaining clone, particularly as it's showcasing Weir instead of McShep for once (not that there's anything wrong with those two ... i just don't want 20 episodes a season completely focussed on them). I guess it'll be one to watch with brain switched off, and not trying to notice all the similarities.

ShadowMaat
April 2nd, 2006, 07:37 PM
I have no doubt that Torri will perform magnificently in the ep, but I can still feel my brain leaking out of my ears at the sheer clichedness of the ep. :( I love Carl Binder, I think he does some fantastic stuff and I sincerely hope I'm wrong about how stupid this all sounds, but... I think this may be another ep I'll skip.

Melyanna
April 2nd, 2006, 07:49 PM
Questions about the quality of the story aside, there's something seriously weird going on with this. This information was posted on another non-SG site more than a week ago, but GW hasn't posted it yet. The person who sends me sides for Atlantis and other shows can't find this anywhere to confirm its existence. She says it could have come from local casting in Vancouver, but that neither confirms nor denies its credibility. Progeny wraps filming this week, so I suppose we could see actual sides for it. The other thing that makes this weird is that it seems to just be the top sheet and not actual sides, or else we'd have more information than just a simple summary.

As for the story itself... well, this plot annoys me less than girlfriends of the week, agrarian culture has possession of technology far beyond their means and valuable to the heroes, and mystical babies (wow, that pretty much sums up The Tower, doesn't it?), so I'll probably watch, if only to see what Carl Binder and Torri Higginson have done with it.

ShadowMaat
April 2nd, 2006, 08:16 PM
Well, the way I see it, unless Darren comes on here and posts that it's a lie, I'm inclined to believe it. Or at least grant it the benefit of a doubt. ;)

The story's in keeping with TPTB's idea of clever and head-twisty and I'm jaded enough to believe they'd really try something like this.

I was wrong in my fear that Duet would be crap. Hopefully the same will prove true, here. But I'd need more than the snippet we've been given.

Melyanna
April 2nd, 2006, 08:31 PM
Well, the way I see it, unless Darren comes on here and posts that it's a lie, I'm inclined to believe it. Or at least grant it the benefit of a doubt. ;)

The story's in keeping with TPTB's idea of clever and head-twisty and I'm jaded enough to believe they'd really try something like this.

I was wrong in my fear that Duet would be crap. Hopefully the same will prove true, here. But I'd need more than the snippet we've been given.
Yeah, I was skeptical of both Letters from Pegasus and Before I Sleep from the spoilers, but I ended up enjoying both episodes immensely. I too thought that Duet was going to be a big yawn, but it turned out much better than I'd anticipated. Same thing with Grace Under Pressure, come to think of it. The episode sounded like one that was going to bore me to tears, as it's not only a plot I find overdone, but also about my least favorite character, but in the end it was probably my second favorite episode of the series so far.

Anyway, the only thing about this summary that seems genuine is that it reads like the story lines usually do in the casting sides. Not that that style would be a real chore to emulate, but still. It's strange, you know? I'll grant that the story sounds like something they'd do. I certainly understand (and to an extent, share) the concern about this story getting rehashed yet another time, but it's one that can be a really fantastic episode. That's probably why it's been done so much. I have more faith in Binder and Higginson than I have in most... but I don't think I'll be holding my breath. ;)

Darren
April 2nd, 2006, 08:33 PM
Based on what we know of "Progeny," it seems legit to me. We're trying to track it down now.

aAnubiSs
April 2nd, 2006, 09:32 PM
So the one episode O'Neill is in he's a hallucination? Or is he part of the B-story or what?!

Stevo
April 2nd, 2006, 09:44 PM
i think theyre gonna be the hotzone guys

FallenAngelII
April 3rd, 2006, 01:52 AM

Quote:

Actually, they haven't done this on SG-1 yet. "The Gamekeeper" just wanted to keep them in there. Hathor actually built a fake SG-1.

And Farscape was hardly the 1st show to do it. Star Trek has done it countless times. As you said so yourself, Buffy had "Normal Again" (albeit after Farscape had "Won't Get Fooled Again"). Shortly after, Charmed had its "Brain Drain".

If we're gonan cry "Unoriginality" every time they do something that's been done before, we wouldn't be getting any news TV shows... at all. That or each show would last for a total of 5-10 episodes besides the writers would run out of ideas or start writing such outrageous things the fans would abandon the shows.

What are we gonna do next? Cry "Ripoff!" because we're travelling through hyperspace? What about those spaceships? EVERYONE's done spaceships!

gatelover12
April 3rd, 2006, 01:55 AM
Or space period for that matter. :p

ShadowMaat
April 3rd, 2006, 03:31 AM
Whatever. :rolleyes:

As previously said, I expect a certain amount of redundancy, but this one crosses the line, in my opinion. There's doing something vaguely familiar and then there's doing something that sounds blatantly like specific episodes of other shows. That, fortunately, doesn't happen very often, but it HAS happened in this case. First thing I thought of was Buffy and I could remember seeing the same basic plot on other shows, too.

I'll cry ripoff and unoriginal any time I want to, thank you very much, and I don't really care if someone disagrees. That's why it's called an OPINION, not a FACT.

FoolishPleasure
April 3rd, 2006, 04:39 AM
At the Vancouver con, didn't Gero say something along the lines of they weren't going to copy SG1 episodes to SGA anymore? DUH.

shockwave
April 3rd, 2006, 05:34 AM
At the Vancouver con, didn't Gero say something along the lines of they weren't going to copy SG1 episodes to SGA anymore? DUH.
maybe gero doesn't consider it a sg1 episode rip-off

ShadowMaat
April 3rd, 2006, 06:08 AM
He also seemed shocked by the idea that some felt there was a lot of kirking in S2. He didn't see that, either.

FallenAngelII
April 3rd, 2006, 11:04 AM
It's not a blatant rip-off. The one thing all of the shows I mentioned above had in common was "People get brainwashed somehow to believe imaginary worlds are real".

It's like claiming all time loop episodes are plagiarizations off each other. Or all space battles. Or how 'bout all "Explore a planet, meet new people, get screwed over" episodes? Or "Warring tribes"? Or "Random virus"?

eri-chan
April 3rd, 2006, 05:42 PM
Actually, they haven't done this on SG-1 yet. "The Gamekeeper" just wanted to keep them in there. Hathor actually built a fake SG-1.

what about in the reckoning with fifth and sam? where he made her believe that she was going crazy and was acting as pete?

The Prophet
April 3rd, 2006, 06:05 PM
what about in the reckoning with fifth and sam? where he made her believe that she was going crazy and was acting as pete?

That wasn't really the main plot of an episode, just a little bumb along the road. Anyway, it lasted for about 5 minutes & Sam didn't believe a word of it. Anyway, she never actually went crazy just servially emotionally ravaged due to Fifth's worst-memory recall trick.

Anyway, I'm still Skeptical about the existance of the episode, so meh.

eri-chan
April 3rd, 2006, 06:28 PM
true but i think stargate has touched on this kinda plot enough. the mind messing part anyway...

MarshAngel
April 3rd, 2006, 06:35 PM
Good lord, did they have to go where we've boldly been before and often? I know scifi themes repeat but the the ones they have done so far didnt exactly bring anything new or interesting to a previously done subject. If this falls in line with the way they've treated rehashed ideas recently, it won't be any better than those that have come before it.

I think the problem when they rehash these plots is that they tend to do them as meaningless stand alones that have little or no effect on the arc. If they could manage to tie them into the arc I think they'd work a lot better.

metabog
April 3rd, 2006, 09:07 PM
There was also a Star Trek: TNG episode exactly about this, dunno the name, but it's the one where Riker wakes up in an alien sanitarium and everyone tells him he's insane and there's no federation. One of my favorites :P

Season 1 was so good... :-(

lilslim142000
April 4th, 2006, 03:58 AM
My spoilers are indeed correct/confirmed.

Source: Spoilerfix.com

04/03 - Episode 3.05 - The Real World: In this Weir-centric episode, Elizabeth wakes up in a sanatorium. She believes that everything about the Stargate and Atlantis was just in her head. The doctor who's treating her is not who he seems. Slowly Elisabeth starts to wonder what's really going on, and what is real or not.

FoolishPleasure
April 4th, 2006, 06:05 AM
Then Gero needs to watch SG1's season 2 episode, "Out of Mind".

"Real World" just sounds like a reworking of that episode, IMO.

The Prophet
April 4th, 2006, 06:06 AM
My spoilers are indeed correct/confirmed.

Source: Spoilerfix.com

04/03 - Episode 3.05 - The Real World: In this Weir-centric episode, Elizabeth wakes up in a sanatorium. She believes that everything about the Stargate and Atlantis was just in her head. The doctor who's treating her is not who he seems. Slowly Elisabeth starts to wonder what's really going on, and what is real or not.

No to be harsh but the Stargate Spoilers there (& others) are quite sketchy & pieced together, couldn't ti just be hopping on the bandwagon of trekBBs' rumors?

Trialia
April 4th, 2006, 06:31 AM
Sounds wonderful... *coughs*

I've already read this fanfiction. The story was quite good. But, blatantly swiped storylines, whether from another show or from fanfic, are just plain boring, because you know where they're going to go.

I'm not really looking forward to this much because of its predictability, though I know Torri will do a wonderful job of it. I am, however, looking forward to it more than "Irresistible"...

FoolishPleasure
April 4th, 2006, 06:35 AM
I'm not really looking forward to this much because of its predictability, though I know Torri will do a wonderful job of it. I am, however, looking forward to it more than "Irresistible"...
This is an episode I want to watch, only because Torri will get the chance to do something, and she doesn't get the opportunity too often.

ShadowMaat
April 4th, 2006, 07:18 AM
Or maybe Atlantis is tanking even more badly than we thought and the Real World is gonna be the last ep ever and it really WAS all in Weir's head! :P

*wistful sigh* Now that would be innovative and daring. Pity it would never happen. ;)

Trialia
April 4th, 2006, 07:28 AM
Or maybe Atlantis is tanking even more badly than we thought and the Real World is gonna be the last ep ever and it really WAS all in Weir's head! :P

*wistful sigh* Now that would be innovative and daring. Pity it would never happen. ;)
You know, it's not tanking over here-- quite the opposite, in fact.

Melyanna
April 4th, 2006, 07:34 AM
No to be harsh but the Stargate Spoilers there (& others) are quite sketchy & pieced together, couldn't ti just be hopping on the bandwagon of trekBBs' rumors?
That's kind of my feeling on it. If they were getting their information straight from casting sources, their newest information on SG-1 probably wouldn't be from The Pegasus Project. Those sides came out a couple weeks ago, and they posted their information on it yesterday, which is when I got the sides for Counterstrike, a later episode. None of the rest of the information looks suspect, but neither does it look like it came straight from casting sides. It looks like someone just read through GateWorld or Pegasus Galaxy spoilers and summarized.

Anyway, the person who originally posted this at the Trek forum has been asked to state his or her source, but hasn't yet. "A casting site" doesn't really count, as several people now have checked several different sites and not found this information.

However, Stargate Project does have this information, along with a few more details. The site's usually pretty accurate, but I really have no idea where they get their information. (Last year I remember them having information on Siege III and Intruder when no one did, because there was no casting information sent out for either of those episodes, but it wasn't always entirely accurate.)

Anyway, for those who don't speak German, here's a translation:
Dr. Elizabeth Weir wakes in the intensive care unit of a hospital, which is located just outside the city limits of Washington, D. C.. There she learns that she has been in a life-threatening condition for days. Her memories of the Stargate program and the Atlantis expedition are only fantasies.

Her memory shut itself off after a tragic accident and created its own world. However, a short time later, Weir begins to sense that something is not right with her, or with this world. It turns out that the Earth on which she finds herself is only a reality that an alien adversary is using to enter her memory. The intent of it: to acquire control over Weir's memory and so to reach the secrets of the Atlantis expedition...

lilslim142000
April 4th, 2006, 07:40 AM
Thanks but i already confirmed this with Spoilerfix.com. Check a couple of posts back

ToasterOnFire
April 4th, 2006, 08:16 AM
I keep on looking at the title and thinking that Weir's "reality" will consist of her and six strangers picked to live in a house, have their lives taped, and find out what happens when people stop being polite and start getting REAL.

Crack!fic, anyone? :D

prion
April 4th, 2006, 08:35 AM
The one thing about any spoilers derived from casting sides is that the information is INCOMPLETE. If you get, say, pages 12, 15, 32, and 47, you'd be surprised at how people can extrapolate and GUESS at what happens on all the other pages. Sometimes folk screw it up (sorry to be blunt) and the flaming begins, especially when a key scene a fan group was looking forward to NEVER appears...

Melyanna
April 4th, 2006, 08:41 AM
Thanks but i already confirmed this with Spoilerfix.com. Check a couple of posts back
Sorry, I have a hard time trusting a site that can't be bothered to spell a major character's name properly. Aside from that, this site's spoilers sound like they're pieced together from other sites rather than from casting sides, as you'll find here or at Pegasus Galaxy. They're in no way complete.

On the other hand, Stargate Project is a site whose information I trust enough that I'm willing to go to the trouble of translating what appears there.

I keep on looking at the title and thinking that Weir's "reality" will consist of her and six strangers picked to live in a house, have their lives taped, and find out what happens when people stop being polite and start getting REAL.

Crack!fic, anyone? :D
Oh, I was hoping I wasn't the only one having that reaction to the title. ;)

ShadowMaat
April 4th, 2006, 09:01 AM
The title IS disconcerting, isn't it? The visuals are almost as bad as the Delicious Fat Guy thing that's now Irresistible. ;)

aAnubiSs
April 4th, 2006, 09:04 AM
It's like the real world... only real.

coolove
April 4th, 2006, 01:56 PM
I'm looking forward to this episode but the plot line is vaguely familiar. I can't put my finger on it.. perhaps an old Star Trek episode?

Shonaille
April 4th, 2006, 02:05 PM
I'm looking forward to this episode but the plot line is vaguely familiar. I can't put my finger on it.. perhaps an old Star Trek episode?

Every sci-fi show has done this plot before, its nothing new. And really, there is no such thing as brand, new unique ideas. Everyone is doing the same plot or tackling the same themes, it just depends on how its done. The same goes for any genre, sci-fi, cop shows, there is overlap everywhere.

ShadowMaat
April 4th, 2006, 02:56 PM
Gateworld has the "official" spoilers up (http://www.gateworld.net/news/2006/04/elizabethweirseekstherealw.shtml), now, and it's pretty much exactly what was previously reported.

Dr. Weir wakes up in a sanitarium near Washington, D.C., the victim of a tragedy that has had severe consequences on her sanity. She soon meets Dr. Fletcher, a compassionate man in his late 30s who is treating her psychosis. Elizabeth learns that she has been in a catatonic state for several days.

But she is more stunned when she is told that everything she knows about Atlantis, her expedition, and the Stargate program are only figments of her imagination.

Elizabeth suspects that something is amiss, and her suspicions ultimately prove true: the world around her is a facade, induced by hypnosis. Her mind is being manipulated by an evil being bent on controlling her.

It's sounding a lot more like a certain episode of SG-1. Poor Sam. I mean, Weir.

gatelover12
April 4th, 2006, 03:00 PM
Drop the evil alein part, make it a dream, reviset it every once in awhile to make the audience wonder which world IS the dream.

prion
April 4th, 2006, 03:14 PM
It's a common plot. Fans have done it before the writers did (quick, check your fanfic for similarites!!)

Elizabeth suspects that something is amiss, and her suspicions ultimately prove true: the world around her is a facade, induced by hypnosis. Her mind is being manipulated by an evil being bent on controlling her.

Crap. I would have thought the parent company NBC wouldn't foist Donald Trump on a scifi show....

Prior_of_the_Ori
April 4th, 2006, 03:38 PM
Interesting that the spoilers on gateworld make mention of the Asurans from Progeny again. They are saying that this episode and Progeny are almost completely related so could it mean that Weir went missing after Progeny and is currently in the hands of the Asurans who are probing her for information? Or perhaps she got captured while offworld? Still, it seems that the Asurans may also know of Earth and the question remains is that do they have a reason to go to the MW galaxy also?

Also looks like the Asurans are indeed the new evil recurring race. Nice to know.

jonno
April 4th, 2006, 03:40 PM
Gateworld has the "official" spoilers up (http://www.gateworld.net/news/2006/04/elizabethweirseekstherealw.shtml), now, and it's pretty much exactly what was previously reported.

Dr. Weir wakes up in a sanitarium near Washington, D.C., the victim of a tragedy that has had severe consequences on her sanity. She soon meets Dr. Fletcher, a compassionate man in his late 30s who is treating her psychosis. Elizabeth learns that she has been in a catatonic state for several days.

But she is more stunned when she is told that everything she knows about Atlantis, her expedition, and the Stargate program are only figments of her imagination.

It's sounding a lot more like a certain episode of SG-1. Poor Sam. I mean, Weir.

lol ... (also spoilers for 'Progeny') not only is it a familiar line, but the Basic set up has been done before ON THE SHOW ... this actually makes the Asurans even more like the Replicators ... they're using the same tactic.

Although, i do like the Asurans as a new enemy

prion
April 4th, 2006, 04:03 PM
Wait a second, this thread SAYS spoilers in the title. Why are we hiding them??

Anyway, this is what I see happening.

Weir wakes up, told it's all a dream, yada yada. The Atlantis folk will play dual roles as other characters (lord, can you imagine McKay as the resident shrink? hahahahah!) Teyla will be the nurse, etc. etc.

ShadowMaat
April 4th, 2006, 04:11 PM
Wait a second, this thread SAYS spoilers in the title. Why are we hiding them??
Maybe because we know that there are probably people reading this thread who would scream bloody murder at being spoiled despite the fact that it says SPOILERS in the title? ;)

For me it's force of habit and a naturally cautious nature. :P

Luz
April 4th, 2006, 04:32 PM
If when Weir wakes up she's told that O'neill is her husband, i can just see her face, that would be hillarious, lol. I don't like O'neill, but in this case i could put up with him, if only to see the look on Weir's face when he smooches her and calls her honey :P.
I was thinking that it would be the same old, same old, but it's Weir, and she's hot, and what the hell i'm gonna complain about?, if they come up with an interesting anough variation, the actors are great, this might not be so terrible.

The Prophet
April 4th, 2006, 04:52 PM
Ah, so it is real! Well, better to be safe than sorry.

It aslo sounds alot like the Season 6 epsiode, The Changling (http://www.gateworld.net/sg1/s6/619.shtml) where Teal'c creates his own imaginary world.

So... Wonder what gives Dreamworld away to Wier?

golfbooy
April 4th, 2006, 04:56 PM
If this episode turns out to be anywhere near as well done as Changeling was, then I doubt anyone will hold the rehash against the writers.

Happy_Gate
April 4th, 2006, 05:15 PM
If this episode turns out to be anywhere near as well done as Changeling was, then I doubt anyone will hold the rehash against the writers.
I hope it is more like "Changeling" and less like the other few hundred other similiar storylines out there.

ShadowMaat
April 4th, 2006, 05:29 PM
It sounds more like the ep where Fifth took Sam hostage and pretended to be Pete.

...And given the fact that the new Big Bad are basically the Human Cylons Replicators on steroids, it reinforces the similarity. At least for me.

LaCroix
April 4th, 2006, 05:45 PM
Oy. I think we'll need Willow for this one. She can mix up a brew to set this right. OY!

NotAscended
April 4th, 2006, 09:35 PM
It sounds more like the ep where Fifth took Sam hostage and pretended to be Pete.

...And given the fact that the new Big Bad are basically the Human Cylons Replicators on steroids, it reinforces the similarity. At least for me.

Oh, you had to say the "P"-word. :S

I'm going to stay optimistic and hope that the writers will find a new take on this oft-used storyline. Torri is a great actress, and I hope they will find a fresh and original way to give us some more back story on Weir's character and motivations while advancing the new enemy story arc.

Changeling was a good episode for Teal'c, and Daniel's interactions with Replicarter in SG1 were tied really well into the overall plot but also gave us insights into his time as an Ascended being. I hope they can go in those directions with this story.

the fifth man
April 4th, 2006, 09:43 PM
The spoilers at least have me interested about this one.

ShadowMaat
April 5th, 2006, 04:38 AM
Maybe the Big Bad will disguise himself as Sheppard, who is really Weir's husband rather than her military commander. Pardon me while I go vomit up my intestines...

The Prophet
April 5th, 2006, 04:48 AM
As well as New Order P2 (http://www.gateworld.net/sg1/s8/802.shtml), Reckoning P2 (http://www.gateworld.net/sg1/s8/817.shtml) & The Changling (http://www.gateworld.net/atlantis/s1/109.shtml) doesn't it sound alot like the Atlantis S1 episode Home (http://www.gateworld.net/atlantis/s1/109.shtml)?

This is begining to become a recurring theme! Plus both Replicator episodes have been Part 2 of the Double Ep, a lot like The Real World (http://www.gateworld.net/atlantis/s3/3x3.shtml) is going to be (After Progeny (http://www.gateworld.net/atlantis/s3/3x2.shtml)).

Melyanna
April 5th, 2006, 07:01 AM
Yup, that's my feeling on it too. I love that episode. As clichés go, this is a relatively versatile one, so I'm looking forward to it.

I think the real question is how the fabricated reality will manifest itself. I could see them doing something like The Changeling, where all the characters are playing different roles in her life (and for some reason, Jack as Elizabeth's significant other has a lot of appeal and amusement for me :P ). The other direction could happen too, where she's told that all of her current friends are figments of her imagination. That'd be pretty distressing for her, but could also be a pretty strong clue that something's not right.

Maybe we'll find out that Elizabeth's into BASE jumping, and that's what her "tragic accident" involved. ;)

MajorSam
April 5th, 2006, 07:41 AM
Ok, so this ep has the potential for whatever cliche thing it comes from of course.... but I must say im VERY excited for some

CRAZY!WEIR!!!!!!! WOOOOH.

I love Weir, so im psyched for another episode focusing on her, which we havn't had since season one!

prion
April 5th, 2006, 08:35 AM
Maybe the Big Bad will disguise himself as Sheppard, who is really Weir's husband rather than her military commander. Pardon me while I go vomit up my intestines...

Yup, I get the feeling that the major Atlantis characters could play parts in her delusion. Hmm, Shep as hubby. Could be interesting. He'd be like "You've got to get better, honey. The dog needs you at home.' (Ha!) and she'd be there thinking, this is sooooo not right.

The Signal
April 5th, 2006, 09:59 AM
Gotta agree, I hated that one at first, but then something happened, and I have loved i ever since, I think it was the care that was taken with Daniel's and Teal'c 's characters that did it, no idea why I missed it first time. Actually if this turns out anything like the DS-9 version, or the Buffy version I will have no issues, but the thing is, this one just seems crappy even now, maybe its the cynic in me

golfbooy
April 5th, 2006, 10:43 AM
...maybe its the cynic in me
Yeah, apparently my last post came across as a bit too hopeful. Make no mistake, I don't for a second believe that TPTB are gonna pull off something even remotely akin to Changeling. I'm with shadowmaat; the first thing I thought when reading the Progeny spoilers was, "OMG, the 'new' villain is the frickin' replicators," which was followed by my response to the Real World," OMG, it's New Order! This show really is SG-1 redux." I guess we'll see whether they go with the whole hand in the head bit or the replicator stocks for Weir's little mind trip. Five bucks says Narim makes an appearance.

Mattathias2.0
April 5th, 2006, 11:09 AM
Ok... Farscape had this: Won't Get Fooled Again
SG-1 has had numerous episodes with similar ideas...
Charmed had this: Brain Drain
Even Alias had a similar episode plot...
Star Trek has as well...

I hope the mid-season eps are better...

Mattathias

vaberella
April 5th, 2006, 04:30 PM

Hmmmm....I like this...ala DALLAS...and we saw what a disaster that was...it's been the ultimate way to end many shows....I'm surprised Chris Carter didn't do it; or not.
:)

ShadowMaat
April 5th, 2006, 05:54 PM
Lost's "Dave" ROTFL! Add Lost to the list of shows that have done "it's all in your head, you're really in an asylum" eps. ;)

Cracks me up to no end.

LaCroix
April 5th, 2006, 06:14 PM
Does anyone remember a show called St. Elesewhere.

The whole show was based in the mind of an young autistic child called Tommy.

BubblingOverWithIdeas
April 6th, 2006, 08:18 AM
Then Gero needs to watch SG1's season 2 episode, "Out of Mind".

"Real World" just sounds like a reworking of that episode, IMO.

Nothing alike. Hathor convinced the team that they were in the future, not that they were crazy and there was no Stargate. And she did it without mental manipulation.

BubblingOverWithIdeas
April 6th, 2006, 08:20 AM
Does anyone remember a show called St. Elesewhere.

The whole show was based in the mind of an young autistic child called Tommy.

Sounds interesting.

kharn the betrayer
April 6th, 2006, 11:35 AM
Oy. I think we'll need Willow for this one. She can mix up a brew to set this right. OY!

maybe Weir will go Psycho before she drinks the potion and then locks every one in a room with a hungry wraith as she is convinced that she can only stay in the ''real'' world is by killing those in her ''immaginary'' world >_>

Trialia
April 15th, 2006, 09:19 AM
Yep, unfortunately I do remember St. Elsewhere...

Eh, who knows, maybe we'll get some 'ship in this one. :P Just to wind up some faction or another.