This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

regenerating

I was thinking, and I noticed that there were many times that the doctor face someting that would have killed a normal man. And I wondered why didn't he regenerate. It made me think that the doctor chosed to regenerate at some of the time.

Maybe not when he got Radiation poisening in Planet of the spiders, but the Fall didn't look like it killed him. and the others times, just made me wonder.
    Like in seeds of Death with he inhaled the gas, any way what are your thoughts
    Tis No Fool to lose what He can not keep, To gain what he will never Lose

I think in most cases, he didn't have much of a choice. Second to Third, he was forced to regenerate, Third to Fourth, deadly poisoning, apparently, Fourth to Fifth... I haven't watched Logopolis yet, but from what I gather, he was being prepared for his death by the watcher, and that fall could've done some major, irrepairable damage to his body. Fifth to Sixth, deadly spectrox toxaemia poisoning, and so on.

When he does *not* regenerate in other circumstances has to be simply due to the fact that he's a Time Lord and as such can withstand a lot more than humans. He can go in a protective coma to restore himself to health, and in a lot of cases, he can survive poisoning, toxic gases etc. (oh, and he has a respiratory bypass system!). I guess it depends on the degree of poisoning, the strength of the poison etc. That spectrox stuff was rather nasty, and not even a Time Lord's respiratory bypass system or a protective coma could've helped him fight that.

Comment

Also the worse the situation for regenerating the worse effects regeneration will have for example in the twin dillema when the 5th Doctor Regenerated into the 6th he tried to strangel Peri.
      Oh Yes the Sam is Back and hes more Sci-fied up than ever !!!!!!!!!

Coming Soon a new Banner from Me

Comment

The level of damage needed to trigger the regeneration cycle does vary and there is some indication in various sources that it has a voluntary element (although mostly these are strictly non-canonical, such as Big Finish audios).

It is also clear that either there are some weapons - for example, Gallifreyan stasers and arguably Dalek gunsticks - which do, or can, overwhelm the biogenic molecules and thus halt the regenerative process before it begins. In The Five Doctors, for example, while it is possible that the Castellan was in his final regeneration, he was killed by a single high-powered staser blast at close range.
        Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
        - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Prophet
          The level of damage needed to trigger the regeneration cycle does vary and there is some indication in various sources that it has a voluntary element (although mostly these are strictly non-canonical, such as Big Finish audios).

It is also clear that either there are some weapons - for example, Gallifreyan stasers and arguably Dalek gunsticks - which do, or can, overwhelm the biogenic molecules and thus halt the regenerative process before it begins. In The Five Doctors, for example, while it is possible that the Castellan was in his final regeneration, he was killed by a single high-powered staser blast at close range.
          The Castellan was just murdered. Time Lords can suffer violent death. Regeneration is a very dangerous thing, used only in ABSOLUTE emergency. If there is any way for the Doctor to survive without it, he will not regenerate.

Great Sig by Bella

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Fantastic
            The Castellan was just murdered. Time Lords can suffer violent death. Regeneration is a very dangerous thing, used only in ABSOLUTE emergency. If there is any way for the Doctor to survive without it, he will not regenerate.
            I thought that too, but what about the 6th to 7th and a few of the clift hangers made me think like last night when spoilerwhen he get electracuted I just started thinking that he choses when and just uses death as the trigger

Comment

It is all measured on how dangerous the cituation. There are obvious exceptions (When Romana regenerated for example). I heard that the 6th Doctor Regenerated so that he could become the 7th Doctor, Time's Champion.
              Oh Yes the Sam is Back and hes more Sci-fied up than ever !!!!!!!!!

Coming Soon a new Banner from Me

Comment

Yes I heard that too

Comment

Working...
                X