PDA

View Full Version : The ANTI Half Human Thread

Mr_Fantastic
March 30th, 2006, 07:36 PM
This thread is devoted to those who oppose the 1996 TV Movie's view that the Doctor is Half Human. He is not. He is a Time Lord. All may vent, agree, or disagree here. Any Thoughts?

Metarock Sam
March 31st, 2006, 07:04 AM
I agree he cant be half human since he is the other the person who along with Rassilon and Omega practically created their timelord race and gave the Timelords the ability to travel in time and space.

BritAngie
March 31st, 2006, 08:47 AM
I agree- in all the decades of watching it and reading the books no mention of being half human- infact very much the opposite. I take the fact he said it in the movie as a little white lie to make the girl a little less freaked out. Or maybe he was a bit off his head cause after all he'd just regenerated and when they just do that they aren't exactly playing with a full deck....

Mr_Fantastic
March 31st, 2006, 09:06 AM
I agree- in all the decades of watching it and reading the books no mention of being half human- infact very much the opposite. I take the fact he said it in the movie as a little white lie to make the girl a little less freaked out. Or maybe he was a bit off his head cause after all he'd just regenerated and when they just do that they aren't exactly playing with a full deck....
In fact, the Doctor, particularly the Fourth, despised some human qualities. In Pyramids of Mars for example, Sarah Jane Smith is angry at the Doctor, saying "Some times you dont seem-" "Human" the Doctor interrupted. I think the whole human thing was a ploy by the American producers to try and make a cheap connection to the audience.

Eris
April 4th, 2006, 01:34 PM
A human would not refer to humanity in the 2nd person.
He is Therefore, not half-human, and if he is, he does not identify himself as such.

Metarock Sam
April 5th, 2006, 01:46 AM
Also in the new series The 9th Doctor goes on about the humans being Stupid Apes all the time. He wouldnt make that connection with himself.

Eris
April 5th, 2006, 01:27 PM
Actually, I think he might...
I still say he's not half-human.

Blitz
April 6th, 2006, 05:39 AM
Also in the new series The 9th Doctor goes on about the humans being Stupid Apes all the time. He wouldnt make that connection with himself.

Erm...I think humans are stupid apes....and I say it alot.

Metarock Sam
April 7th, 2006, 02:30 PM
Ahhh but its in the way he calls them stupid apesw which adds to this dimension..

Willow'sCat
April 12th, 2006, 12:15 AM
I don't see any reason to assume he is half-human, I know I have said it before but that movie was just wrong for so many reason's and should seriously be taken with a hefty grain of salt as far as canon is concerned. :cool:

He is a Timelord.

I am not going to be swayed by half %&$ attempts to humanise him beyond what is necessary to appeal to an audience that doesn't get him because he is an Alien. Why else would they have written it like that? :cool:

Mattathias2.0
April 12th, 2006, 03:55 PM
I definately disliked the 1996 movie viewpoint of the Doctor being half-human, when we have had absolutely no indication to support it.

Mattathias

The Signal
April 13th, 2006, 01:39 PM
I liked the 8th Doctor, but I hated the half human thing, it was pointless for one thing and just a cheap way of humanising him for any viewers that hadnt seen the show before.

Flyboy
April 16th, 2006, 04:32 AM
I don't like it, but it IS canon now. End of. It's been said in an official Who movie. (at least the old 60's movies arent canon, he wasnt even a time lord in those.)

I suppose we have to think about when Gallifrey is situated in time. If Gallifrey is billions of years in our future.... then its reasonable to believe that "The Other", the Doctor's original incarnation could have been spawned by a human woman. Maybe in the future humans discover Gallifrey, or maybe it was a chance encounter during an exploration... who knows. But it IS possible.

Deejay435
April 16th, 2006, 09:38 AM
I don't see any reason to assume he is half-human, I know I have said it before but that movie was just wrong for so many reason's and should seriously be taken with a hefty grain of salt as far as canon is concerned. :cool:

He is a Timelord.

I am not going to be swayed by half %&$ attempts to humanise him beyond what is necessary to appeal to an audience that doesn't get him because he is an Alien. Why else would they have written it like that? :cool:

Movie? LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA ::fingers in her ears:: What movie, I say. I saw no movie, that's my story, and I'm sticking to it!

I'm only up to the sci-fi airing of the new series...has he ever said, on the show, which regeneration he is? I'd say this doctor is the eighth, and that the movie doesn't at all count. But has that been affirmed or not in show-canon?

I don't even understand why anyone would feel the need to make him half-human. The Doctor is alien-that's part and parcel of who he is, and what makes him such an intriguing character, imo.

BC - 303
April 24th, 2006, 02:49 AM
His mother could have been a time lord, who just happened to "do" someone, at some time in all of history.

GhostPoet
April 26th, 2006, 11:31 AM
Let's just chalk it up to stupid american producers. :)

Mattathias2.0
April 26th, 2006, 11:37 AM
Movie? LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA ::fingers in her ears:: What movie, I say. I saw no movie, that's my story, and I'm sticking to it!

Good point...

Mattathias

creed462
April 26th, 2006, 11:50 AM
I think the Tree Lady in the end of the world said he had nine strands of DNA so that whould mean he's on the ninth regeneration

Mattathias2.0
April 26th, 2006, 12:16 PM
I think the Tree Lady in the end of the world said he had nine strands of DNA so that whould mean he's on the ninth regeneration

That'd make one heck of a Punnett Sqaure!

Mattathias

creed462
April 26th, 2006, 12:36 PM
Well he has had nine incarnations

Mr_Fantastic
April 26th, 2006, 08:36 PM
According to RTD, the movie is canon. (CE being the 9th doc, rather then 8 for example)

Deejay435
May 1st, 2006, 07:30 PM
Good point...

Mattathias

I find the judicious use of the "finger in the ear-LALALALALA" technique to be quite benificial to my mental health. And viewing pleasure.

Mattathias2.0
May 2nd, 2006, 11:02 AM
I find the judicious use of the "finger in the ear-LALALALALA" technique to be quite benificial to my mental health. And viewing pleasure.

I just won't watch it...

Mattathias

Mika
May 3rd, 2006, 10:26 AM
I think it makes sense if you think of it in retrospect. The timelords knew that the problem of the daleks had to be solved soon, but no true timelord would be capable of commiting genocide under any curcumstances. So they intervined and made the doctor part human - knowing that he would then be capable of doing something so horrendously evil.

GhostPoet
May 3rd, 2006, 11:59 AM
According to RTD, the movie is canon. (CE being the 9th doc, rather then 8 for example)

I'm so confused though. How can it be canon? How can the Doctor be half-human if he never lived on Earth? He's a timelord, right? Why would he be any different from the other timelords?

creed462
May 3rd, 2006, 12:13 PM
I'm so confused though. How can it be canon? How can the Doctor be half-human if he never lived on Earth? He's a timelord, right? Why would he be any different from the other timelords?
We do not know his distance past.

Flyboy
May 3rd, 2006, 12:29 PM
We do not know his distance past.
Oh yes we do....

SPOILERS

The doctor is not JUST a time lord... this was hinted at in the last classic series with McCoy. The doctor hasnt just got 12 regenerations, he previously had two other sets of regenerations, this meaning he'll have lived 39 lives when this lot end. Originally the Doctor was known as "The Other" at least by reference. He was the third important guy alongside Rassilon and Omega. "The Other" could have POSSIBLY be born from a human mother, afterall, Gallifrey is millions of years in our future, SOME form of a human could have hooked up with a gallifreyan (they wouldnt have been time lords at this point). Hell, the gallifreyans could even be some evolved form of humans, remember - digi humans, proto humans, new humans, theres loads!

If Gallifreyans were originally human descendents it would lend creedence to the idea, and maybe the doc is half human because he was actually BORN. Gallifreyans lost the ability to reproduce and had to basically create new Gallifreyans artificially. Not sure, how, prolly a test tube baby thing...

creed462
May 3rd, 2006, 12:49 PM
Oh yes we do....

SPOILERS

The doctor is not JUST a time lord... this was hinted at in the last classic series with McCoy. The doctor hasnt just got 12 regenerations, he previously had two other sets of regenerations, this meaning he'll have lived 39 lives when this lot end. Originally the Doctor was known as "The Other" at least by reference. He was the third important guy alongside Rassilon and Omega. "The Other" could have POSSIBLY be born from a human mother, afterall, Gallifrey is millions of years in our future, SOME form of a human could have hooked up with a gallifreyan (they wouldnt have been time lords at this point). Hell, the gallifreyans could even be some evolved form of humans, remember - digi humans, proto humans, new humans, theres loads!

If Gallifreyans were originally human descendents it would lend creedence to the idea, and maybe the doc is half human because he was actually BORN. Gallifreyans lost the ability to reproduce and had to basically create new Gallifreyans artificially. Not sure, how, prolly a test tube baby thing...
I heard they used a device called the loom. any what isn't this from the books