PDA

View Full Version : New Style for "Irresistible" (Spoilers)

Jumper One
March 30th, 2006, 03:42 PM
I don't know if any of you read this story:
http://www.gateworld.net/fandom/conventions/vancouver2006/woodirresistibleisshotdiff.shtml, But it mentions how this epsiode will be shot "like a 3 camera sitcom". I really don't know what to make of this... what do you guys think? (good, bad, boring, etc.)

For one thing, I hope that Atlantis doens't turn into a sitcom. :p

Lexx
March 30th, 2006, 04:16 PM
I don't mean to sound like a downer, but it sounds pretty gimmicky to me. I watch SGA because it's Sci-Fi. I couldn't stand "Avenger 2.0", so listing that as a previous accomplishment isn't doing the episode any favors. Really, the only "comedic" episode I've ever truly liked was "Window of Opportunity". That's all. I liked "The Other Guys", but not for it's comedic stuff. "Avenger 2.0" and "Duet" though...

ShadowMaat
March 30th, 2006, 04:28 PM
I'm all for the occasional funny ep, but I like there to be a bit of intelligence mixed in and in my experience, sitcoms are devoid of anything remotely resembling intelligence. It's all asshattery and scatalogical humor- two things I loathe and despise. Add in a plotline that, on the surface, sounds suspiciously like Urgo and I think that this might be one ep I'll skip.

I'd love to see Richard Kind and I'll try to give the sitcom thing the benefit of a doubt, but really, if I wanted brainless humor I'd be watching real sitcoms and I don't particularly care to see a show I love like sink to that level.

prion
March 30th, 2006, 04:38 PM
I don't mean to sound like a downer, but it sounds pretty gimmicky to me. I watch SGA because it's Sci-Fi. I couldn't stand "Avenger 2.0", so listing that as a previous accomplishment isn't doing the episode any favors. Really, the only "comedic" episode I've ever truly liked was "Window of Opportunity". That's all. I liked "The Other Guys", but not for it's comedic stuff. "Avenger 2.0" and "Duet" though...

Yeah, IRRESISTIBLE sounds.... gimmicky. Instead of writing a nice dramtic episode in which they might discover new technologies or alien societies or battle the wraith, they're going to do a.... a.... excuse me while I make a noise like a cat hacking up a hairball.... but something similiar to a sitcom??

I'm thinking this episode is going to be THE TOWER of season 3. I don't mind humor if it's done well, but some of the writers in the Stargate folder use a sledgehammer to get their point across.

Willow'sCat
March 30th, 2006, 04:59 PM
Yeah, IRRESISTIBLE sounds.... gimmicky. Instead of writing a nice dramtic episode in which they might discover new technologies or alien societies or battle the wraith, they're going to do a.... a.... excuse me while I make a noise like a cat hacking up a hairball.... but something similiar to a sitcom??

I'm thinking this episode is going to be THE TOWER of season 3. I don't mind humor if it's done well, but some of the writers in the Stargate folder use a sledgehammer to get their point across.Alright I read the report once (yesterday) and I can't be bothered reading it again, but I thought he was only talking about the feel of the episode as in the camera shots and the pace, not that they were going with a sitcom complete with laugh track. :S Every season of SG and SGA has had a "funny/humorous" episode (or tried) this is nothing new. ;)

"Irresistible" sounds more like an episode where the main character (guest character) is somehow irresistible to the folks on Atlantis, with sinister undercurrents or not, and only maybe Zelenka can see him for what he really is, blah, blah, blah. Seen it before in many shows not least "Buffy" (at least 2 Buffy episodes had this kind of storyline), even The X-Files had a slightly similar premise in one episode.:cool: *sssshhh* don't meantion Star Trek. :p

So maybe I am way off, not the first time but.... Some new ideas writers!:rolleyes: :S

aAnubiSs
March 30th, 2006, 05:16 PM
It's not enough that over 50% of the episodes are stand-alones, now we'll have useless eps like 'The Tower' was in S2 too.

Are they so desperately looking for stories? If they have a problem coming up with interesting storylines then switch to an arc based season and stick with a few solid storylines.

ShadowMaat
March 30th, 2006, 05:21 PM
Alright I read the report once (yesterday) and I can't be bothered reading it again, but I thought he was only talking about the feel of the episode as in the camera shots and the pace, not that they were going with a sitcom complete with laugh track.
What would be the point of filming something "sitcom style" if it wasn't going to be filmed as a sitcom?

Like I said, I enjoy the comedic eps- usually- but as far as I'm concerned there's a thin like between smart-funny (or maybe plot-drive funny) and stupid-funny (plotless stupidity with nothing but jokes).

Irresistible is sounding a lot like stupid-funny to me.

PG15
March 30th, 2006, 05:55 PM
Well, it definately interesting, and that's good in my books.

I'll be sad if they stick to the same-old-same-old style anyhow.

Insipid
March 30th, 2006, 06:14 PM
It's not enough that over 50% of the episodes are stand-alones, now we'll have useless eps like 'The Tower' was in S2 too.

In my opinion The Tower was one of the most important episodes of Season Two. First of all because of all the drones that they procured and secondly because we got to see Ronon take out [kill] a punk in three seconds flat.

aAnubiSs
March 30th, 2006, 06:17 PM
In my opinion The Tower was one of the most important episodes of Season Two. First of all because of all the drones that they procured and secondly because we got to see Ronon take out [kill] a punk in three seconds flat.
Those two events took up about 3 minutes of the episode.

ShadowMaat
March 30th, 2006, 06:18 PM
I can't believe they wasted 40-odd minutes of absolute kirky CRAP just so we could get some drones and jumpers. :rolleyes: But that's my opinion. Good to know some people enjoyed it, 'cause I sure as hell didn't.

the fifth man
March 30th, 2006, 06:30 PM
I'm still not sure what to really think about this ep. It does definitely sound different, I'll tell you that. I guess we'll have to wait and see if that's a good different or not.

Stevo
March 30th, 2006, 07:40 PM
this episode should be pretty good, and having a sitcom style opens up shots abit showing more atlantis ;)

mckaychick
March 30th, 2006, 08:14 PM
yeah this episode sounds good

Happy_Gate
March 30th, 2006, 11:23 PM
I don't think that the 3 camera thing is a bad idea. As long as they don't tack on laugh tracks. I loved "the other guys" and hope this ep will be as funny as that.

vaberella
March 31st, 2006, 08:33 PM

I'm with this post..but I'll watch it just to see how they make Teyla break out, same goes for Weir and maybe Heightmeyer.

VB:)

immhotep
April 1st, 2006, 12:14 AM
im looking forward to this episode, if they do it with taste i think a different type of episodes, sitcom like would be fun..but i dont want SGA to become Friends, even though i love both shows they are both liked for totally different reasons and those two reasons clash.
I just hope this isnt the one episode jacks in, then it would just be pathetic, really would just be ergo in atlantis.

Hatcheter
April 1st, 2006, 04:00 AM
Alright I read the report once (yesterday) and I can't be bothered reading it again, but I thought he was only talking about the feel of the episode as in the camera shots and the pace, not that they were going with a sitcom complete with laugh track. :S Every season of SG and SGA has had a "funny/humorous" episode (or tried) this is nothing new. ;)

This is absolutely correct. All the article discussed was how he was using a camera set-up that is "unique for Stargate". (Unique means one-of-a-kind, by the way.) I, for one, am excited to see how a bit of visual experimentation will play out. Ten years into this franchise, and they're still experimenting, trying new things, and generally working to keep it fresh.

The Prophet
April 1st, 2006, 04:26 AM
I'm quite gald that they're thinking outisde of the box. People have been moaning & whining that Atlantis is too much like SG-1 (plotwise) so this stand-alone episode is pretty different, aparantly. Of course SG-1 has done odd humour, but nothing such as this (Avenger 2.0 came close, but that was more a "what's behind the SGC" combined with a slight dose of "What if...?" and a pinch of "We're Going to Die!." But it did have some deep scenes, that helped Sam's character deepen, such as when she found Him "feeding the Ducks" and he was afraid he was going to get fired. Some people complain that the end was idiotic, but for once, an SG-1 episode wasn't about the end, it was about the "Confessions of a Crazed SGC Technician.").

This episode will probably let us see the sides of Atlantis Character that it would be impossible to see otherwise, so, I'm quite glad if it'll add character depth. :)

Trialia
April 4th, 2006, 06:38 AM
I can't believe they wasted 40-odd minutes of absolute kirky CRAP just so we could get some drones and jumpers. :rolleyes: But that's my opinion. Good to know some people enjoyed it, 'cause I sure as hell didn't.
For once, you and I are in complete agreement, Shadow. The Tower was even more cringe-worthy to watch than Sanctuary. Are TPTB going with the "let's-have-one-really-crap-episode-per-season" philosophy? It sure seems like it.

Epiphany wasn't great, but the scenes that didn't involve Sheppard, with the exception of the last one with the whole team, made up for most of the rest of it.

I don't want Atlantis to become anything like a sitcom-- I don't watch sitcoms. They bore me rigid.

FoolishPleasure
April 4th, 2006, 07:07 AM
Like others said, this episode will be different and terrific, or it will fall flat (though I don't think anything could possibly be worse than "The Tower").

However, it still feels like another reworking of an old SG1 episode (Hathor), only girls are affected instead of the guys, and this one will be humorous (hopefully).

The Prophet
April 4th, 2006, 07:10 AM
However, it still feels like another reworking of an old SG1 episode (Hathor), only girls are affected instead of the guys, and this one will be humorous (hopefully).

Actually, both sexes will be affected, not just the girls. Yeah, here's hoping it'll be better than The Tower!

prion
April 4th, 2006, 08:40 AM
Actually, both sexes will be affected, not just the girls. Yeah, here's hoping it'll be better than The Tower!

I think THE TOWER might be better. It's hard to tell, but

David Nykl”
"Let's just say that there's been a remarkable effect on all of the Atlantis crew that has changed their behavior. And Zelenka is susceptible to that, almost moreso than everybody else. It's similar to, in some ways, what I think 'Duet' was last year, as almost sitcom-y. It features Richard Kind. And we've just got a certain mood-altering element in Atlantis. And I'm affected by it."

Full text at:

http://gateworld.net/news/2006/04/newplotdetailsforirresisti.shtml