X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Style for "Irresistible" (Spoilers)

I don't know if any of you read this story:
    http://www.gateworld.net/fandom/conv...shotdiff.shtml, But it mentions how this epsiode will be shot "like a 3 camera sitcom". I really don't know what to make of this... what do you guys think? (good, bad, boring, etc.)

For one thing, I hope that Atlantis doens't turn into a sitcom.

I don't mean to sound like a downer, but it sounds pretty gimmicky to me. I watch SGA because it's Sci-Fi. I couldn't stand "Avenger 2.0", so listing that as a previous accomplishment isn't doing the episode any favors. Really, the only "comedic" episode I've ever truly liked was "Window of Opportunity". That's all. I liked "The Other Guys", but not for it's comedic stuff. "Avenger 2.0" and "Duet" though...
    MCKAY: We need the Zed PM to power the Gate.

O'NEILL: What?

JACKSON: ZPM. He's Canadian.

O'NEILL: I'm sorry.

Comment

I'm all for the occasional funny ep, but I like there to be a bit of intelligence mixed in and in my experience, sitcoms are devoid of anything remotely resembling intelligence. It's all asshattery and scatalogical humor- two things I loathe and despise. Add in a plotline that, on the surface, sounds suspiciously like Urgo and I think that this might be one ep I'll skip.

I'd love to see Richard Kind and I'll try to give the sitcom thing the benefit of a doubt, but really, if I wanted brainless humor I'd be watching real sitcoms and I don't particularly care to see a show I love like sink to that level.

Comment

Originally posted by Lexx
        I don't mean to sound like a downer, but it sounds pretty gimmicky to me. I watch SGA because it's Sci-Fi. I couldn't stand "Avenger 2.0", so listing that as a previous accomplishment isn't doing the episode any favors. Really, the only "comedic" episode I've ever truly liked was "Window of Opportunity". That's all. I liked "The Other Guys", but not for it's comedic stuff. "Avenger 2.0" and "Duet" though...
        Yeah, IRRESISTIBLE sounds.... gimmicky. Instead of writing a nice dramtic episode in which they might discover new technologies or alien societies or battle the wraith, they're going to do a.... a.... excuse me while I make a noise like a cat hacking up a hairball.... but something similiar to a sitcom??

I'm thinking this episode is going to be THE TOWER of season 3. I don't mind humor if it's done well, but some of the writers in the Stargate folder use a sledgehammer to get their point across.

Comment

Originally posted by prion
          Yeah, IRRESISTIBLE sounds.... gimmicky. Instead of writing a nice dramtic episode in which they might discover new technologies or alien societies or battle the wraith, they're going to do a.... a.... excuse me while I make a noise like a cat hacking up a hairball.... but something similiar to a sitcom??

I'm thinking this episode is going to be THE TOWER of season 3. I don't mind humor if it's done well, but some of the writers in the Stargate folder use a sledgehammer to get their point across.
          Alright I read the report once (yesterday) and I can't be bothered reading it again, but I thought he was only talking about the feel of the episode as in the camera shots and the pace, not that they were going with a sitcom complete with laugh track. Every season of SG and SGA has had a "funny/humorous" episode (or tried) this is nothing new.

"Irresistible" sounds more like an episode where the main character (guest character) is somehow irresistible to the folks on Atlantis, with sinister undercurrents or not, and only maybe Zelenka can see him for what he really is, blah, blah, blah. Seen it before in many shows not least "Buffy" (at least 2 Buffy episodes had this kind of storyline), even The X-Files had a slightly similar premise in one episode. *sssshhh* don't meantion Star Trek.

So maybe I am way off, not the first time but.... Some new ideas writers!

Comment

It's not enough that over 50% of the episodes are stand-alones, now we'll have useless eps like 'The Tower' was in S2 too.

Are they so desperately looking for stories? If they have a problem coming up with interesting storylines then switch to an arc based season and stick with a few solid storylines.
            Last edited by aAnubiSs; 30 March 2006, 05:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Drwho'srose
              Alright I read the report once (yesterday) and I can't be bothered reading it again, but I thought he was only talking about the feel of the episode as in the camera shots and the pace, not that they were going with a sitcom complete with laugh track.
              What would be the point of filming something "sitcom style" if it wasn't going to be filmed as a sitcom?

Like I said, I enjoy the comedic eps- usually- but as far as I'm concerned there's a thin like between smart-funny (or maybe plot-drive funny) and stupid-funny (plotless stupidity with nothing but jokes).

Irresistible is sounding a lot like stupid-funny to me.

Comment

Well, it definately interesting, and that's good in my books.

I'll be sad if they stick to the same-old-same-old style anyhow.

Comment

Originally posted by aAnubiSs
                  It's not enough that over 50% of the episodes are stand-alones, now we'll have useless eps like 'The Tower' was in S2 too.
                  In my opinion The Tower was one of the most important episodes of Season Two. First of all because of all the drones that they procured and secondly because we got to see Ronon take out [kill] a punk in three seconds flat.
                  I am both Pro-Keller and Pro-Beckett. No amount of Hail Mary's will save my soul from hell.

Comment

Originally posted by Insipid
                    In my opinion The Tower was one of the most important episodes of Season Two. First of all because of all the drones that they procured and secondly because we got to see Ronon take out [kill] a punk in three seconds flat.
                    Those two events took up about 3 minutes of the episode.

Comment

Originally posted by Insipid
                      I can't believe they wasted 40-odd minutes of absolute kirky CRAP just so we could get some drones and jumpers. But that's my opinion. Good to know some people enjoyed it, 'cause I sure as hell didn't.

Comment

I'm still not sure what to really think about this ep. It does definitely sound different, I'll tell you that. I guess we'll have to wait and see if that's a good different or not.
                        sigpic
                        MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                        "...phu...ah..."
                        "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                        Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

this episode should be pretty good, and having a sitcom style opens up shots abit showing more atlantis

Comment

yeah this episode sounds good
                            sigpic
                            Many thanks to geekywraith for the wonderful sig

Comment

I don't think that the 3 camera thing is a bad idea. As long as they don't tack on laugh tracks. I loved "the other guys" and hope this ep will be as funny as that.

Comment

Working...
                              X