PDA

View Full Version : The Ultimate Furling Discussion Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

anubis3355
May 3rd, 2004, 07:08 PM
(SPOILERS for Season Six's "Paradise Lost" ...)

So...... Whats this episode where jack goes to this planet and gets transported onto its invisible moon??....well it seems that the device they have was given to a pharoh to go to paradise or something....but wouldnt the furlings given it to the the rulling goauld instead?? and if the gould were allready gone then the stargate was allready burried right.... how thoes this work out i ask myself

Bacardi
May 4th, 2004, 03:36 AM
i doubt the furlings would have given the key to a goa'uld, more likely it was found or stolen, but they didnt know where the doorway was or couldnt get to it cos it was found after the uprising and the gate's burial.

ah i dunno.. lol

Anubis
May 4th, 2004, 08:08 AM
Be interesting to meet the Furlings. I guess that it was a Furling device as the technology was "nothing like we've ever encountered"

Perhaps we'll see them in season eight!?

anubis3355
May 11th, 2004, 03:01 PM
The Furlings.............did they look something like this???http://www.foundmark.com/pers/gallery/parkas/fur/images/favorite.jpg or like this.......http://www.altair.org/pix/alf.jpg
Who Knows........maybe we will never meet them.....im soooooooo sad...I really am.........

stargate barbie
May 11th, 2004, 03:08 PM
the furlings were alfs race.

maboroshi
May 11th, 2004, 04:44 PM
gotchyer furlings right here:

http://cartoons.ashtonpress.net/sgfurlings.html

Bast
May 11th, 2004, 06:12 PM
furby!

Champos
May 11th, 2004, 06:26 PM
No they're shorter than that.

SaberBlade
May 11th, 2004, 06:44 PM
well the name would make me think they are from Melmac like Alf but i could easily see them being like Marvin the Martian.

Hatusu
May 11th, 2004, 10:50 PM
You got me! And I've been spoiler free for weeks now. Oh, wait, I'm still spoiler free.But I feel guilty. :(

Supreme Commander Thor
May 11th, 2004, 10:57 PM

OH MAN!!!!!!! That is probably the funniest thing I have seen all day! hahahaha... how far the race has fallen! Slumming by doing quiznos commercials!!! hahahah

(",) Gater
May 12th, 2004, 12:11 AM
LOL
:p

Bektrek
May 12th, 2004, 04:08 AM
well everytime i think of the furlings i just picture ewoks

thor39
May 12th, 2004, 06:31 AM

Ha Ha I've seen that pic before thanx for showing we where :D

Love it :o

earck
May 12th, 2004, 06:37 AM
the furlings were alfs race.
It would be very funny if ALF would make a cameo appearance in SG-1!

But it would jump the shark.

Mobiac
May 20th, 2004, 12:14 PM
Hmm...

First let me say I think SGC have met the Furlings.. in a way. We (and SGC)just did not realize it. I refer to the Crystal Skull episode. That giant it seemed familiar like.. oh.. say.. Thor's avatar. The giant avatar could be a sentry to protect Furling technology from the Goa'uld like the Asguard did.

Second, We also know Earth was an Ancient outpost. However Earth could have also been an Alliance outpost. If you think about it each of the 4 races have influenced humanity, and in some ways found in Earth's mythologies. The Asguard= the Asguard pantheon in the Baltic region. The Nox= fairies or the Tuatha De Danann found in Wicca, Druid, Celtic, and the Gaul mythologies. The Ancients= ethereal beings, angels, spirits, etc.. influenced mythologies through out the world. Then there are the Furlings whom we are not sure of, but if you factor common mythologies there seems to be two missing major powerful beings. One the dragons which are less beneficiaries to civilization. The other are the giants.

Well combining the giant avatar, the crystal skull, the familiar temple on SG1, and the giants of myth. It looks like the Furlings influenced the Americas. If you look up some Ol'mec and Toltec myths; they mention several times of giant humanoids being the first to rule the land (central and south America). These giant were said to be able to move giant slabs of stone with ease. It could be possible that in the star gate universe the giants were the Furlings that possibly later adopted the Aztec, Mayan, and Incan gods avatars.

Also when Jack first met the Asguard with that killer head-ach; the one speaking mention the Furling to which Jack replied "Nope, haven't met them." The one Asguard says something along the lines of "You will know them when you meet them."

Crazedwraith
May 20th, 2004, 12:19 PM
Your all wrong! The furlings *ARE* ewoks!!! The undeniable proof of this are my post in TLW thread in off-topic!

Sue_Jackson
May 20th, 2004, 01:47 PM
For some reason, I picture a Furling as a cross between a Furby and an Ewok. :D :p

http://www.inthe90s.com/toys/images/furby.gif
http://people.brandeis.edu/~rstewart/ewok.jpg

Nolamom
May 20th, 2004, 02:06 PM
So, strange bits of leather clothing and a plastic beak?
Nmom

FixxxeR
May 20th, 2004, 02:27 PM
Thread Delivers!

5 Golden Manbabies To You Good Sir!!!!

SGSlugger
May 20th, 2004, 02:27 PM
Is there any confermation that it's spelled "Furling?" I think that whoever said that it could be "Feralling" or something around there was on the right lines....

Teal'c
May 20th, 2004, 03:03 PM
Is there any confermation that it's spelled "Furling?" I think that whoever said that it could be "Feralling" or something around there was on the right lines....
Yes, it's Furling. (For example, Joe always spells it Furling)

Lil Naitch
May 20th, 2004, 03:22 PM
http://www-scf.usc.edu/~mzm/gizmo.gif

Torley
June 2nd, 2004, 10:26 PM
If the Goa'uld get really nasty, I'd like to see the Furlings step in and whomp them... especially if they are big and furry like their name sounds! It would be cool to see a Furling bear hug a Goa'uld and break his back over another Furling's knee, and then make the Goa'uld renounce all claims of godhood in front of a crowd of stunned Jaffa.

O'Neill would probably have some smartass comments during all of this . . . it would be such a funny moment, to see someone put the fear back into the Goa'uld (apart from the impersonal replicators).

Anubis
June 3rd, 2004, 12:49 AM
That would be great if the Furlings just appeared out of nowhere and just wiped out a fleet of Gou'ald

Mio
June 5th, 2004, 04:48 PM
No! No furlings wiping out Gou'alds....Furbies aren't allowed to be evil.

Elwe Singollo
June 5th, 2004, 05:19 PM
That would be great if the Furlings just appeared out of nowhere and just wiped out a fleet of Gou'aldThat would be so funny, but kewl... *evil smirk

Anubis
June 6th, 2004, 01:25 AM
Funny but unpredictible. I do doubt that it would actually happen

Elwe Singollo
June 6th, 2004, 07:25 AM
Funny but unpredictible. I do doubt that it would actually happenLittle furbies walking around :) Shooting Goa'ulds... Haha..

Anubis
June 6th, 2004, 07:36 AM
I remember my little sister had a Furbie toy and it drove me crazy. It kept saying Furby all day long

Elwe Singollo
June 6th, 2004, 07:41 AM
I remember my little sister had a Furbie toy and it drove me crazy. It kept saying Furby all day longThose things scare me... :(

Larry The Chevron Guy
June 8th, 2004, 04:55 PM
I've heard that there are only going to be 20 eps in this season. So far, the first 11 episodes have no Furling content, no visits by the Giant Aliens, no Tollans, etc. I just wonder if we will ever really see these on the show...

ShadowMaat
June 8th, 2004, 04:57 PM
Yeah, they'll be in the same ep as Jonas! :P

KorbenDirewolf
June 8th, 2004, 05:03 PM
The same one where Ferretti reappears and we find out where Nyan has been. Also the fate of Aris Boch and his race is explained. As well as the Re'tu, the Re'tu Rebels and "Charlie"....

ShadowMaat
June 8th, 2004, 05:12 PM
And let's not forget about Jack's ex, Sara. And Laira. And how about Shifu? And Nem. And poor Harlan. And the kids from Rules of Engagement (wait, did we find out what happened to them?). Then there're the Foothold aliens. And Togar/Urgo. Heimdall? Lt. Tyler and his kin.... this is going to be a very crowded ep... ;)

Bagpuss
June 8th, 2004, 05:21 PM
I'm keeping my hopes up for at least some of those characters/Alien Races to turn up again....but then,I'm ever-hopeful ! ;)

ShadowMaat
June 8th, 2004, 05:23 PM
Hopefool is more like it. ;)

I think it'd be great if TPTB actually followed up on some of these stories. But hey, they've been ignoring SOME of them for almost seven years, why stop now?? ;)

Elwe Singollo
June 8th, 2004, 05:24 PM
Yes, positivity fhb :);)

KorbenDirewolf
June 8th, 2004, 05:31 PM
Could be we'll see one or two of them again, but otherwise I don't think most of them will ever return.

bcmilco
June 8th, 2004, 05:58 PM
Well considering that the Tollan are TOAST I doubt we'll ever see them again. :p

If they haven't had the Ferlings by now I doubt they'll ever have them on SG-1, but maybe we'll get to see them on Atlantis ;)

Other wise I wouldn't mind seeing some or all of the people/races mentioned above :)

Even if it's just in passing. I'd especially love to see Jonas again and of course Luke is always a great addition to an episode. ;)

Elwe Singollo
June 8th, 2004, 06:00 PM
*Chants* "Jonas" "Jonas" "Jonas", and of course yes i agree we'll probably won't see the Tollan, but i don't mind them, except that one dude who helped out SG1.

ShadowMaat
June 8th, 2004, 06:11 PM
If we ever see Luke again, even I will be in awe of my godlike powers. ;) Smug, but awed. hehe.

I figure Heimdall stands an outside chance of appearing, for basically the same outside chance Jonas might make a token appearance- so TPTB can congratulate themselves on their attempt to "appease" the fans. :P

Shifu, maybe, just because he's a glowy octopus. The rest? No way.

Mio
June 8th, 2004, 06:11 PM
I refuse to believe it on the grounds that I want to see schrodinger again. He was my favorite Tollan-related character....::cough:: But i seriously want the Tollan back, I mean, hell, we thought Apophis died How many times?

Well considering that the Tollan are TOAST I doubt we'll ever see them again. :p

If they haven't had the Ferlings by now I doubt they'll ever have them on SG-1, but maybe we'll get to see them on Atlantis ;)

Other wise I wouldn't mind seeing some or all of the people/races mentioned above :)

Even if it's just in passing. I'd especially love to see Jonas again and of course Luke is always a great addition to an episode. ;)

Elwe Singollo
June 8th, 2004, 06:13 PM
I refuse to believe it on the grounds that I want to see schrodinger again. He was my favorite Tollan-related character....::cough:: But i seriously want the Tollan back, I mean, hell, we thought Apophis died How many times?I wouldn't be suprised if Apophis did another guest appearence, haha... Like he did in S6,

Anthro Girl
June 8th, 2004, 07:02 PM
I refuse to believe it on the grounds that I want to see schrodinger again. He was my favorite Tollan-related character....::cough:: But i seriously want the Tollan back, I mean, hell, we thought Apophis died How many times?

No one actually knows what happened to Shroedinger's Cat. ;) Actually, the Tollans probably know, but they won't tell us because they think we're stupid. Which is why, of course, they got blown up.

The Furlings are probably having a galactic tail-gater with Nick Ballard while they all wait for the Giant Aliens. I still think Those Damn Furlings is a great name for a spin-off...

...and I'd better not see Apophis again...

ShadowMaat
June 8th, 2004, 07:09 PM
No one actually knows what happened to Shroedinger's Cat. ;)
Since it's observation that determines whether the cat is alive or dead, isn't it better to NOT see him and assume he's alive than to actually SEE him and risk his being dead? ;)

edit because I can't resist tossing in a few Pratchett quotes, both from Last Hero (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/057506885X/qid=1086750757/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_11_2/202-2273980-9845451) :

Albert: If I understand it right, you don't know if the cat's dead or alive until you look at it.
Death: THINGS WILL HAVE COME TO A PRETTY PASS, ALBERT, IF I DO NOT KNOW WHETHER A THING WAS DEAD OR ALIVE WITHOUT HAVING TO GO AND LOOK.

and

Albert: Er... the way the theory goes, sir, it's the act of lookin' that determines if it's alive or not.
Death: ARE YOU IMPLYING THAT I WILL KILL THE CAT JUST BY LOOKING AT IT?
Albert: It's not quite like that, sir.
Death: IT'S NOT AS IF I MAKE FACES OR ANYTHING.

Elwe Singollo
June 8th, 2004, 08:06 PM
I think it may be dangerous to not mention the cat, because one day, they may mention the poor cat, and they may see he passed away, and yes, that'll be bad... But i doubt that will happen...

Anthro Girl
June 8th, 2004, 10:51 PM
Since it's observation that determines whether the cat is alive or dead, isn't it better to NOT see him and assume he's alive than to actually SEE him and risk his being dead? ;)

Oh, but can we suffer the suspense?! ;) Besides, cats have nine lives, right? Surely we'd get another chance to determine his state?

Nope...I still think the Tollans know and they ain't telling.

Elwe Singollo
June 8th, 2004, 10:54 PM
Yah suffering isn't good :(

keshou
June 9th, 2004, 03:20 AM
Wow, reviewing this thread, there's a laundry list of interesting characters/aliens they could follow up on -- Laira, Shifu, Nick & Giant Aliens, Re'tu, Furlings, Heimdall, Aris Boch, Nox, Tollan, Aschen, etc., etc.,

I'd bet big bucks we won't see any of those in season 8. We'd probably have a better chance of seeing Martin Lloyd and Felger and Coombs and Chloe. *sigh*

I think they really could have done a lot more with the whole Furling thing but I don't think they'll ever be developed now.

As I recall, Schroedinger the cat was pronounced live and well by Brad Wright (or Joe, I forget) at one of the conventions. They apparently forgot all about him when they wrote the final Tollan episode but decided later (when fans asked about the cat) that he "made it". ;)

ShadowMaat
June 9th, 2004, 03:30 AM
As I recall, Schroedinger the cat was pronounced live and well by Brad Wright (or Joe, I forget) at one of the conventions. They apparently forgot all about him when they wrote the final Tollan episode but decided later (when fans asked about the cat) that he "made it". ;)
Yeah, but that's such a lame cop-out. "Who? Schroedinger? Oh, you mean the cat? Er... Of course he, er... made it. Yeah, he's, um, alive and well with some alien cat chick somewhere. Right..."

It's as bad as only coming up with the Furlings because they needed a fourth race and had no intention of developing them beyond that.

Or Daniel's whole "What do YOU think?" thing in WOO. They didn't come up with an original question for that, either.

Very frustrating.

keshou
June 9th, 2004, 04:00 AM
Yeah, but that's such a lame cop-out. "Who? Schroedinger? Oh, you mean the cat? Er... Of course he, er... made it. Yeah, he's, um, alive and well with some alien cat chick somewhere. Right..."
It's as bad as only coming up with the Furlings because they needed a fourth race and had no intention of developing them beyond that.

Yeah the cat thing is kind of lame. I was always impressed that the writers remembered Schroedinger in the second Tollan episode and then couldn't believe they totally forgot about him in "Between Two Fires". Of course it might have ruined the drama of the moment if Narim handed a little Tollan cat carrier to Sam as they left thru the gate. Or might have been really sweet. *sniff*

Even if they never intended to develop the Furlings originally, what prevented them from developing them later? You know they've had five seasons since they were first mentioned in "The Fifth Race". The fans asked constantly, everyone was interested.

It's like they thought the name was silly and couldn't think of anything to do with them. Heck I'd have gone against type and made them big and fierce, or they could have ripped off (er...homaged...) Startrek and made the Furlings the Ferengi of Stargate. I can see the Furlings being kind of devious horsetraders.

Anubis
June 9th, 2004, 04:04 AM
I'm still hoping to see the Furlings but it may be more possible in Atlantis

ShadowMaat
June 9th, 2004, 04:47 AM
Of course it might have ruined the drama of the moment if Narim handed a little Tollan cat carrier to Sam as they left thru the gate. Or might have been really sweet. *sniff*
You don't know much about cats, do you? ;) The scene would be SG-1 standing at the gate and Sam arguing that they should go back while weapons fire rains down upon the Tollan. The gate activates and Daniel sends the IDC... and then something shoots between Sam's legs and through the gate.

"What the hell was that?" Sam demands.

A stray shot blasts the ground near the team.

"No time! Run!" Jack and the others run through the gate... where the find Schroedinger calmly washing himself in the middle of the gateroom floor, next to a slightly annoyed General Hammond.

There'd be no "handing off" of Schroedinger, he'd save his own furry @ss. ;)

Bagpuss
June 9th, 2004, 05:18 AM
Hopefool is more like it. ;)

Yeah,and proud of it! ;)

Good pun,Shadow! :D

Bagpuss
June 9th, 2004, 05:28 AM

*Sniff* A fine specimen of the Feline Uber-Race,IMO! *Sniff* ;)
ALL cats focus on themselves,Folks.They're Goa'uld in cute furry costumes that's all! :D

Seriously: I love the wish lists here on this thread. Hope PTB actually bring back some of those Characters.... :D

keshou
June 9th, 2004, 05:31 AM
You don't know much about cats, do you? ;) The scene would be SG-1 standing at the gate and Sam arguing that they should go back while weapons fire rains down upon the Tollan. The gate activates and Daniel sends the IDC... and then something shoots between Sam's legs and through the gate.

"No time! Run!" Jack and the others run through the gate... where the find Schroedinger calmly washing himself in the middle of the gateroom floor, next to a slightly annoyed General Hammond.

LOL! I love this! Great tag scene. :D

P.S. I do have a cat, who treats me with the disdain I deserve. :p

ShadowMaat
June 9th, 2004, 05:44 AM
Maybe Schroedinger IS a Furling... it'd explain a lot of things, wouldn't it? ;)

hezie99
June 9th, 2004, 06:48 AM
maybe a gould took over the cat and will use him to enter the SGC and destroy it :)

MadEyeTed
June 9th, 2004, 06:54 AM
Sure there are loads they could bring back, some they have said may well come back, and some they have said definetely wont. But what about the characters and races who will be killed off? Bare in mind most of the retu are supposed to have been killed by the goauld anyway, the tollan are toast, and the tokra were almost wiped out 2 years ago. It would be nice to at least have a passing remark about some of the missing things - a whole episode devoted to them would be a waste - particulary in the case of characters like retu charlie and lara from "100 days". If they go all out to bring back every major race we ever met, and all the ones we could have done, it will seem like a deus ex machina - in the last few episodes of the last season we suddenly find a load of the folks we havent seen in years are up for helping us in the last climacitc battle - terribly convenient. If they bring in the Furlings they will have to come up with a reason why they wont help us out, as they have done with the Nox, Asgard and Ancients, and "pacifist and uncaring", "otherwise occupied" and "arrogant and uncaring" are already taken...

I for one want to see the tok'ra force jacob/selmac, by their actions, to issue a smackdown and once and for all rid us of them entirely ;) .

NB: TPTB are under no obligation to tell us about the furlings, I would be interested, but no doubt we will eventually get the full story of the alliance and what exactly happened to all its members before the show ends. Also, the furlings did kind of feature in the episide "Paradise lost" - at least their technology did. Its not crucial for us to actually meet them anyway.

Sorry - that was a much shorter post in my head...

Andron
June 9th, 2004, 07:34 AM
At least two other season 8 eps have been mentioned before and while the shootings of the current season.

The first one will have Little Jack and Maybourne in it.
The second is the episode written by Chris Judge, also know as "Big Fat Jaffa Wedding" ( I don't think, they have time for a wedding in the episode "Sacrafices")
This leaves only 6 eps for the missing characters and aliens.

I would really like to see the Furlings!!

Whitster
June 9th, 2004, 07:49 AM
Spoilers for season 6 in this post, but if you ain't seen season 6 why are you looking in a season 8 forum???

Ok this might just be my stupid reasoning, but aren't the Furlings dead. The technology in paradise lost is furling, pursumably it would have been the Furlings that were inhabiting the moon. When we found them they were all dead from the paranoia drug thing the Go'uld used on them.

So I figure when the allience fell apart/went on a break as it's not been said the allience doesn't exist now, due to what ever reason the Nox went and become invisable pacifiscts, the Ancients left the galaxy and went off to the pegasus galaxy taking Alantis with them, the Asguard stuck around as the protectors of the galaxy and the Furlings went to kick back in what they believed was a pretty safe paradise moon place. Now given that Ra and Anubis both knew of the Ancients/Ascended is it not possible they also knew of the allience despite coming on the scene a while after most races from it dissapeared. Now as we know the Nox can remain hidden even if you are on their planet so persuming Ra/Anubis had a go at taking them out but obviously failed, but if they knew of the Furlings as well and considered them a big enough threat is it not possible that either one of these system lords sent the assasin to the paradise. Therefore as far as I see it the Furlings were killed off by a Go'uld bio-weapon.

Please point out errors/stupidity of my theory.

Anubis
June 9th, 2004, 08:07 AM
Perhaps they were the Furlings, perhaps they were not. Nobody knows for sure that it was Furling tech but it is highly likely. I for one am guessing that the ship in Grace was Furling and they responded to Carter. I still ahve a thought that the Furlings are around somewhere

Wass
June 9th, 2004, 08:18 AM
I don’t think the TPTB want mention the Furlings in SG-1, I think they want introduce them in Atlantis not straight away but later on in season 3/4/5 maybe. I think they have plans for the furlings but are keeping it under wraps for know. There are a lot of theories going around that the wraith are off shoot of furlings but we’ll have to wait and see.

Anubis
June 9th, 2004, 08:24 AM
I've always thought that now Atlantis was confirmed, it would be better if the Furlings would be placed onto this show. That way all the SG-1 fans will want to tune into Atlantis to finally meet the Furlings!

Elwe Singollo
June 9th, 2004, 08:27 AM
Maybe :) That would be a good reason for me to watch :)

Wass
June 9th, 2004, 08:31 AM
I've always thought that now Atlantis was confirmed, it would be better if the Furlings would be placed onto this show. That way all the SG-1 fans will want to tune into Atlantis to finally meet the Furlings!

I think that's precisely what the TPTB are think. :p

Anubis
June 9th, 2004, 08:31 AM
I think it would be a reason for anyone to watch

Elwe Singollo
June 9th, 2004, 08:32 AM
Unless in the next 10 episodes of SG1, they happen to appear, but yah, thats just me talking :)

David85
June 9th, 2004, 08:36 AM
We need Daneil's granpa back, that's all I want.

Elwe Singollo
June 9th, 2004, 08:37 AM
Grandpa... was he in that one episode a few years ago (or maybe in the first season)? Where he was the person who got stuck because the gate didn't work on the other side?

ShadowMaat
June 9th, 2004, 08:50 AM
SPOILERS for S6 Paradise Lost

I think TPTB have no intention of ever using the Furlings in any capacity beyond the brief mention in Paradise Lost. The colony on that planet was one faction of the race, I didn't get the impression that it was the LAST faction or even a large majority of the population. But then, I found the the ep kinda boring so I may not have been paying close attention. ;)

Maybe the Furlings are as scattered as the Ancients and there are small pockets of them in the remote corners of the universe (or another universe).

Elwe Singollo
June 9th, 2004, 08:53 AM
ot 'ish - I agree 'Paradise Lost' was pretty boring, but i did like small parts of it.

Yah, maybe they're a few Furlings somewhere in the Pegasis galaxy or something, well i hope they will show them.

Anubis
June 9th, 2004, 08:53 AM
Grandpa was in Crystal Skull where he went off with that gigantic alien. Since this we have not seen him

Elwe Singollo
June 9th, 2004, 08:54 AM
Grandpa was in Crystal Skull where he went off with that gigantic alien. Since this we have not seen himThanks Anubis.

Anubis
June 9th, 2004, 08:58 AM
Sure thing

Back to the Furlings

Mr Prophet
June 9th, 2004, 08:58 AM
I hope they do have something of the Furlings, so I can stop vacillating between thinking of them as gnomish builders of superweapons and twelve-foot tall killing machines.

Hmm. I think I may have to pen the Schroedinger chronicles at some stage, just for the hell of it.

Grandpa was in Crystal Skull where he went off with that gigantic alien.

You make it sound like they eloped!

Anubis
June 9th, 2004, 09:02 AM
Well maybe they did. Just we haven't seen them since!

priornavalperson
June 9th, 2004, 09:33 AM

Since Daniel is probably allergic to cats, as well as everything else, after he comes through the gate, Schrodinger will probably jump in to his arms and start shedding.:p After all, one of the many additional senses that cats have is the ability to immediately sense those who are allergic to or dislike cats so as to torment them appropriately.:D

Livi2Jack
June 9th, 2004, 09:48 AM
Maybe they will appear in S9+

Elwe Singollo
June 9th, 2004, 09:51 AM
If we do get a S9 :( I would be happy though :)

Anubis
June 9th, 2004, 09:52 AM
That's assuming that we're getting further seasons. It is very likely

Elwe Singollo
June 9th, 2004, 10:28 AM
Maybe they should do another spin-off, the Furlings as the main characters! That idea reminds me of... Teletubbies... Hahah... jk jk..

Anubis
June 9th, 2004, 10:30 AM
I don't think another spinoff just for the Furlings. I think one spinoff is enough

Elwe Singollo
June 9th, 2004, 10:31 AM
Tell that to the Law&Order people :)

Anubis
June 9th, 2004, 10:34 AM
Hmmm.... maybe

But another spinoff is not needed

Elwe Singollo
June 9th, 2004, 10:37 AM
To you maybe :) But i wouldn't mind having at least one episode dedicated to a race we haven't seen, but heard about for so long... ;)

Anubis
June 9th, 2004, 10:39 AM
I hope we meet at least one or two brand new races in season eight. That would be awesome

Elwe Singollo
June 9th, 2004, 10:42 AM
Yes it would, a new race... that'll be refreshing:)

Anubis
June 9th, 2004, 10:45 AM
Refreshing, yes! Some race that is more advanced than Earth and are willing to trade at a simple cost such as food supplies. That would be a great goal for us

Elwe Singollo
June 9th, 2004, 10:51 AM
Yah, i know, those races are just the nicest, wow i sound like a Brady Bunch kid...

Anubis
June 9th, 2004, 10:55 AM
Aren't they just. I like the one that was willing to trade everything for heavy water. That was great

Torley
June 9th, 2004, 10:55 AM
Whatever happened to Daniel's allergies and sneezing? Did that ever come up again after the early episodes?

Elwe Singollo
June 9th, 2004, 10:57 AM
Yah, i was wondering where those went!

Anubis
June 9th, 2004, 10:57 AM
Funny you shoul mention this. They've never shown again since Children of the Gods

Elwe Singollo
June 9th, 2004, 11:09 AM
Maybe it would have been an annoying thing to continue, i for one wouldn't want to see Daniel sneeze in every episode... :rolleyes:

Mr Prophet
June 9th, 2004, 11:19 AM
Doc Fraiser, a fellow sufferer, proscribed him ungodly doses of antihistamines. Who knows, maybe they also found a new and better antihistamine on one of their early missions.

Elwe Singollo
June 9th, 2004, 11:26 AM
Maybe... If they did, its sad it didn't get a mention.

Mio
June 9th, 2004, 11:51 AM
...and I'd better not see Apophis again... How can you say that?

Edit: 200th Post! Super-soldier, huh? ::gets out his energy weapon bracelet of doom::

Elwe Singollo
June 9th, 2004, 11:53 AM
Whats wrong with seeing Apophis again? Haha...

Anthro Girl
June 9th, 2004, 01:25 PM
Sorry - that was a much shorter post in my head...

Hate it when that happens. ;)

I agree with you...we don't need to see the Furlings. I always figure we did "see" them in Paradise Lost and they're gone. Or maybe they're off doing something more interesting than messing with Goa'uld and silly humans. After giving them a name like the "Furlings", I doubt the image would hold up to our imaginations anyway, so they're better off left alone. :D

bcmilco
June 9th, 2004, 01:34 PM
Funny you shoul mention this. They've never shown again since Children of the Gods

Actually they were mentioned again in Broca Divide. His medication was the reason he didn't change at first. Which led to the cure. ;)

sshspooky
June 9th, 2004, 04:07 PM
I am personally glad they haven't mentioned the Furlings, and hope they don't. I read people complaining about them being introduced with no intention to be used, but in reality i doubt they had a plan for any of the races in the beginning, then developed the as they went along. The fact that one race isn't seen makes sense since the Asgard and Ancients reside in another galaxy, it's likely the Furlings do too. I wouldn't be surprised if the alliance of 4 races was an alliance of the most powerful races of all 4 galaxies, and while the Ancients and Asgard, and possibly the Furlings came in to conflict with other races, the Nox decided to avoid that fate and hide away from conflict.

I wouldn't mind the Atlantis team finding out more about the Furlings though, perhaps leading to another spin-off about a team going to a different galaxy to study Furling technology and things, that could have a totally different feel to SG-1 and Atlantis, and although could be classed as similar in concept to Atlantis, i would probably say it would be more of an SG-1 crossed with Atlantis feel, with there being an SGC based in this other galaxy.

Perhaps this will never happen, but I like how lots and lots of Furling technology and information has not been featured in loads of episodes, as our galaxy is not the centre of everything, unlike how Earth IS the centre of the Ghould(no idea on spelling) culture, which is why they are the central element of SG-1.

I also don't mind a number of things fromt he past not being mentioned. Wile some do have merit I find it easier to assume they have been contacted, simply not in an episode since nothing imortant has happened. I'm sure Daniel has visited his grandfather who is probably emersed in studying the culture of the planet, however, since it has no relation to anything else going on, it isn't mentioned.

Spook

David85
June 9th, 2004, 05:11 PM
The next spin off needs to be completely different, but not forget the Stargate beginning.

Personally I like the Jaffa Rebellion, but that seems to be more of a mini series or a set of TV movies over years than a show idea.

Anubis
June 9th, 2004, 11:19 PM
Thanks for the info bcmilco

Elwe Singollo
June 10th, 2004, 02:12 AM
I like the Jaffa Rebellion, but that seems to be more of a mini series or a set of TV movies over years than a show idea.Yah that sounds more like a mini-series/tv movie, but i would watch it anyway :)

Mr Prophet
June 10th, 2004, 05:30 AM
How about the next spin-off being Stargate: Furlings on Parade? You could do it animated, like Ewoks or Droids, with twee little Furlings having jolly adventures. They'd have their own little swearword tht doesn't mean anything and all!

Let's face it, it could be the biggest stinkburger in all of creation, and it would still be better than Infinity!

Anubis
June 10th, 2004, 07:10 AM
I seriously don't think we need another animated show. Infinity has to be the worst animated TV show ever

Elwe Singollo
June 10th, 2004, 09:02 AM
I seriously don't think we need another animated show. Infinity has to be the worst animated TV show everThe difference would be... Infinity wasn't made by the people who make Stargate SG1 and Atlantis, maybe it wouldn't suck alot if it was made by them instead of all new different people.

Kelso
June 10th, 2004, 09:54 AM
I would love to see an animated show featuring the early adventures of Aris Boch. Not only would it show us a new spin on the Stargate Universe, but it would provide the writers the chance to revisit some of the Goa'uld that aren't around anymore... Ra, Sokar, Apophis, etc.

I think it would be alot of fun... but alas...

Anthro Girl
June 10th, 2004, 10:31 AM
I seriously don't think we need another animated show. Infinity has to be the worst animated TV show ever

I watched Infinity for five minutes with the sound off and I'd have to say I agree with you. :rolleyes:

Anthro Girl
June 10th, 2004, 10:36 AM
How can you say that?

Easy: I'd better not see Apophis again. There, I said it again. ;)

Okay, so I could handle seeing him again in a parallel universe or a dream sequence (The Changeling was excellent), but he's dead. He'd better be dead, anyway. If he isn't dead, then I'll have a serious bone to pick with the writers. :mad: There's enough room for stories in S8 and beyond to not have to recycle old-old villans. IMHO, of course.

Elwe Singollo
June 10th, 2004, 11:17 AM
Yah, i don't want them to bring Apophis back alive, that would just make me mad, but i would always like him to visit in alternate universes and such, like what Anthro said, Changeling was perfect how he made an appearence.

jtg
June 22nd, 2004, 03:56 PM
I think that Jack's contention that the Furlings are small and furry based on the sound of the name means that the Furlings will not be small and furry.

Remember that part of Stargate is language, and not every language has words that mean the same thing. Furling in english brings to mind little furry things, but in the Furling's home language, its meaning probably has nothing to do with either fur or littleness.

Thus, I expect Furlings to be big and hairless and quite unexpected in appearance.

I'm imagining the look on Jack's face when he first confronts a Furling face to face. :p

jtg :rolleyes:

Bakjuh
June 22nd, 2004, 06:12 PM
I think that Jack's contention that the Furlings are small and furry based on the sound of the name means that the Furlings will not be small and furry.

So instead of Ewoks, we can expect Wookiees?

Jafana
June 23rd, 2004, 12:33 AM
Hmm...

First let me say I think SGC have met the Furlings.. in a way. We (and SGC)just did not realize it. I refer to the Crystal Skull episode. That giant it seemed familiar like.. oh.. say.. Thor's avatar. The giant avatar could be a sentry to protect Furling technology from the Goa'uld like the Asguard did.

I think, if it wasn't so long ago that they encountered these guys, you might have had something.
However, if they really were as important as one of the four races, I think tptb would have let us know in some shape or form. They're not really ones for keeping us in too much suspense, and 4? seasons ago is a long time.

Jafana
June 23rd, 2004, 12:35 AM
I just realised how stupid that sounded.
The Fifth Race was in season 2, and thats what they based the Lost City on.
ggrrr. my brain is so not working at the moment

5aret
June 23rd, 2004, 06:58 AM
Is it true that the Furlings might be an extinct race because I heard that the Furlings home planet was deserted amd no one was there. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Mio
June 23rd, 2004, 07:23 AM
Err, no, you should probably watch the beginning of 'Paradise Lost', only some of the Furlings decided to abandon technology, and live this life.

You should probably post this in the Season....6? is it? folder anyway.

Anubis
June 23rd, 2004, 07:38 AM
It was presumed that the technology belonged to the Furlings and most likley it did. Quite right, season six's Paradise Lost

5aret
June 23rd, 2004, 08:21 AM
Sorry about that. I was not sure what season it was in. Besides, the topic did say General Discussion. I was not talking about Season 6. I just think it would be unfair if you had to put what races appeared in what season.
Thats why I put it in general discussion.

OsirisDICK
June 24th, 2004, 08:44 PM
http://www.raelambert.com/raelambert/characters/furlings.htm

Stargate Agent
June 24th, 2004, 08:46 PM
If these things turned up in Stargate the show would go down the toilet instantly ahaha

Misty
June 24th, 2004, 08:49 PM
NONSTOP rolling on the floor laughing!!!

Iskandra
June 25th, 2004, 04:05 AM
*Help!*

"Hi, I'm Edgar of the Furlings...." - That means O'Neill was right in "Paradise Lost" when he said the Furlings were...furry.....

Thoth
June 25th, 2004, 04:18 AM
ROTFL!!!

Heh! What's up with your name? Did you make it to attract attention, cos it sure does work.

That reminds me of something. In the golden pages once, I saw this add with
GIRLS!
GIRLS!
GIRLS!
written on the side. I couldn't believe my eyes so I looked at the ad. It turned out to be some window cleaning company looking to attract some attention to the ad.

OsirisDICK
June 26th, 2004, 05:47 PM
ROTFL!!!

Heh! What's up with your name? Did you make it to attract attention, cos it sure does work.

No

I made it to remind everyone that Osiris is a MAN and not a woman as portrayed on Stargate. We all know only the host is woman but that doesn't stop people around the net from calling Osiris a "she."

kopd
June 26th, 2004, 06:00 PM
Actually, I thought it was said that the symbiote basically adopts the gender of its host, since it itself is genderless. Sorta like how Selmak is now referred to as a 'he', even by other Tok'ra.

OsirisDICK
June 26th, 2004, 09:30 PM
Actually, I thought it was said that the symbiote basically adopts the gender of its host, since it itself is genderless. Sorta like how Selmak is now referred to as a 'he', even by other Tok'ra.

well when refrencing the classic mythology, Osiris was/is a male.

Jafana
June 26th, 2004, 09:48 PM
well when refrencing the classic mythology, Osiris was/is a male.

thats fair enough, but i think that stargate only bases its concepts on classic mythology... Osiris may have indeed been male in terms of RL history, but for the sake of the show, kopd is correct - the simbiote takes on the gender of the host. They do have their preferences, but for the most part, the host provides a convienient gender reference.

June 26th, 2004, 10:28 PM
OMG this is the funniest thing of the day!!!

darkwarden
June 26th, 2004, 10:32 PM
That breathed some life into me today, been a bit of a slow day.

Furry ........ ROFL, I love that, I had no idea that is was an old movie.

Bagpuss
June 27th, 2004, 01:28 AM
ROTFLMAO !! I hope the SG Universe Furlings look a bit more "Mystic" than the little Critters from that Movie !! :D
Thanks for posting that link,OsirisDICK ! :D

Nolamom
June 27th, 2004, 06:47 AM
There's a video trailer for the movie available as well. Edgar "The Brave" is pretty great. Once Upon a Forest trailer (http://videodetective.com/home.asp?x=y&SpeedTestResults=144000&PublishedID=4412&AltID=&CustomerID=97135&WM=True&Ads=False&Play=TRUE)

Thoth
June 27th, 2004, 02:10 PM
Just a thought. But has anyone ever thought that the reason why we have never seen the Furling/s (Am I supposed to put an 's' on the end?) is that the writers can't think of what they could look like. I mean, they've got themselves into a bit of a mix by calling them the Furlings. If they turn out to be all slimy like the Unas (i realise that they're not really slimy, but i've always thought that they look kinda slimy) or just animals like the reetou (sp?) and goa'uld, I think this forum will just about explode with the amount of people posting "They Can't Do That" threads. Can anyone here say truefully that whenever they hear "Furlings", some sort of fury animal pops up before anything else. Or, at least that the first time they heard it, it did.

Edited to add a full-stop and a comma (ok, I admit it, I'm a grammar freak) and then edited again to say why I edited it in the first place

Ann_Ominous
June 29th, 2004, 03:21 PM
(SPOILERS for Season Six's "Paradise Lost" ...)

So...... Whats this episode where jack goes to this planet and gets transported onto its invisible moon??....well it seems that the device they have was given to a pharoh to go to paradise or something....but wouldnt the furlings given it to the the rulling goauld instead?? and if the gould were allready gone then the stargate was allready burried right.... how thoes this work out i ask myself

Are you sure that Harry said that the device was found on Earth? I thought it was something his rougue NID agents found off world. Transported slaves from Ancient Egypt could still have a ruling system with a pharoh on another planet. I would go pop in the dvd, but my dvd isn't hooked up right now (I'm using a loaner tv that has no a/v jacks, much less component video inputs).

Anthro Girl
June 29th, 2004, 04:56 PM
I'm pretty sure Harry said it was found at an archaeological dig in Egypt, but I'm too lazy to go get the DVD and figure it out. ;) I just watched it this past weekend and that's just what came to mind.

rihannsu
July 2nd, 2004, 12:52 PM
'I've been secretly wishing that the Furlings are like Nibbler's people on Futurama- so darn cute that you just have to say "awwww!"

Talk about camp! :p

SGSlugger
July 2nd, 2004, 07:17 PM
The Furrlings evil ploy to infiltrate Earth: download their consences (sp) into little Furby toys and market them to unsucpecting children. :p

Maybe the Furrlings have some type of hibernation period like the Wraith do?

Anubis
July 2nd, 2004, 11:34 PM
That is actually quite possible. Perhaps they don't need waking, they use their incredible sense

Torley
July 3rd, 2004, 02:46 AM
Yeah, incredible sense of marketing.

Hey, Donald Trump's a furling: check out his bling$, he's full of mystery and charisma, and the hair is certainly "furling" enough. He's a friendly but firm businessman and knows that it'd be too Goa'uldish to suddenly take a new host by force, hence why he is looking for "The Apprentice" With his dealmaking tactics, he is the key to peace in the universe... I suspect he left the other Three Races because they didn't give him a nice enough view :D

Anubis
July 3rd, 2004, 05:49 AM
I think anything is possible

Mio
July 3rd, 2004, 02:45 PM
::burns his sister's furbie::

Anubis
July 4th, 2004, 01:07 AM
Furbies are planning a evil plot to bring their motherships! :D

DownFallAngel
July 4th, 2004, 03:10 PM
Do you really think they are capable of making a mother ship?

gate traveler
July 4th, 2004, 05:01 PM
I think the Furlings would have to be very short blue fuzzy things. They would look very cute and helpless,but when you aproached they would turn into evil creatures with red eyes and claws and sharp fangs and rip you to pieces.

Devil_U_Know
July 7th, 2004, 10:55 AM
I didn't see any of these guys mentioned in any of the spoilers for the 1st half of Season Eight's episodes.
The Ashen are an incredibly advanced & deadly enemy with an important virtue not found in the Goa'uld... Patience. They look at things from a long-term view and will plan decades ahead of time to achieve their needs. The Ashen are cold-blooded killers without morals or conscience and they have committed genocide on a planetary scale.
When last we saw Hathor, Col. O'Neill shoved her into a holding tank of ultra-cold liquid nitrogen or something. I felt that this was not a fitting way for someone of Hathor's stature to check out. Is she alive? Well, knowing how she likes to work under the radar when she was quietly amassing followers without drawing attention from the System Lords, Hathor may yet be lurking out there, plotting for a return to the spotlight.
As for the arrogant Tollans, someone, in this case, Annubis, finally came along and cashed in their chips. Did any of the Tollan survive Annubis' onslaught? Could the Tollan have also planned for and built an Alpha Site as did the Tau'ri? Or, as their arrogant nature would suggest, did they all die while uselessly firing their all-powerful ion cannons?
Lastly, we come to the last member of the 4-race alliance that was made up by the Asgard, Nox, Ancients, and... Furlings! Who are they and will we catch a glimpse of them?
Hopefully, these questions & topics will be answered adequately by the time Season 8 is over.

aAnubiSs
July 7th, 2004, 10:58 AM
I'd love to see Hathor back. She was kinda interesting... Nirrti too btw.

Mio
July 7th, 2004, 10:59 AM
The aschen knew little about gate travel.

The odds of them knowing that a powerful jolt of energy could make their wormhole jump to another planet after dialing the black hole is slim to none. They probably tried to evacuate...but why would they waste their resources on something like revenge? They need those resources to rebuild....That could take quite some time before they want to get revenge on us.

....or the time dilation is so bad that they are still trying to evacuate their planet.

Hathor could be hiding because she knew she couldn't go up against Anubis...oooh....

I want the tollans back! Poor Schrodinger...

PYRO
July 7th, 2004, 11:01 AM
The Tollan were cool, even though we should have went back in ships and striped the place clean....

DownFallAngel
July 7th, 2004, 11:43 AM
Nariam gave the cat back....

But I want the tollan to return aswell.

Mio
July 7th, 2004, 11:45 AM
Did he take the cat back? I never really noticed.

Greesha
July 7th, 2004, 11:48 AM
what about the rheetou (sp)? they've been forgotten about since they were introduced.

DownFallAngel
July 7th, 2004, 01:21 PM
Maybe they are still fighting the Goa'uld?

Devil_U_Know
July 7th, 2004, 01:32 PM
"" The aschen knew little about gate travel.

The odds of them knowing that a powerful jolt of energy could make their wormhole jump to another planet after dialing the black hole is slim to none. They probably tried to evacuate...but why would they waste their resources on something like revenge? They need those resources to rebuild....That could take quite some time before they want to get revenge on us.

....or the time dilation is so bad that they are still trying to evacuate their planet. ""

--- There's a couple of problems with your observations, Mio.

Major Carter revealed our knowledge of the Ashen's Treachery after the Ashen by the name of Borren translates the word "STERILITY". Since the Ashen now realize that we had tripped them up, and knowing how patient, careful and methodical the Ashen are when they do things, what in the world makes you think that they will be crazy enough to begin experimenting with 10 "gift" gate addresses on their homeworld? Most likely, they will test these addresses on the Volian homeworld or elsewhere before they start dialing from their home planet, P3A-194.
What is frightening to contemplate is that by comparing the 10 gate addresses that we gave them to the few addresses that they are already familiar with, including Earth's, the Ashen can use their ultra-advanced quantum computers to compensate for stellar drift and cross-reference their astronomical charts for solar systems that are likely to contain viable living worlds that may contain a stargate. So what, you say? Within a short period of time, their computers will produce a complete address list of the entire stargate network.
The Ashen's computers are so powerful that they can predict solar flares and convert gas giants such as Jupiter into suns. See "2010" episode

The only saving grace for Earth is that the Ashen, at least to our knowledge, never bothered to double-check on the results of their bio-bomb attack on Earth. We can only hope that the they believe that we were wiped out by the bomb BEFORE we could activate the iris. Of course, the Ashen will interogate ambassador Faxon thoroughly in order to squeeze all the useful info out of him. How much was Faxon briefed on the stargate program? Whatever he knows, Faxon will definitely tell them about our stargate's protective iris.

For all we know, the Ashen may already be sending covert teams of their own through the stargate, stealthy observing & gathering intelligence on other races. They may not be a curious race of people, but they definitely have a tremendous appetite for conquest, and the stargate is the ideal tool by which they can easily satisfy this hunger.

Here's one last reason, Mio. The Ashen have ships that can travel through hyperspace. Stargate dialed to a black hole? No problem, they can put an iris in front of it, then a forcefield around it, load it onto an Ashen vessel, and ship it off to someplace where it won't do any harm. We couldn't do that because... oh yeah, we didn't have any spare hyperspace-capable ships available at the time.

Ugly Pig
July 7th, 2004, 02:09 PM
At least in the cases of Hathor and the Tollan, they are not "unfinished business". They have met their ends, the reluctance of some fans to accept that won't change it.

Personally, I doubt the Tollan will be brought back - but you can bet your butt that Hathor won't be. Apparantly, TPTB (which in this case includes even the cast) hated the character which is probably why they killed her off the first chance they got. So she won't be back anytime soon.

Mio
July 7th, 2004, 02:41 PM
Here's one last reason, Mio. The Ashen have ships that can travel through hyperspace. Stargate dialed to a black hole? No problem, they can put an iris in front of it, then a forcefield around it, load it onto an Ashen vessel, and ship it off to someplace where it won't do any harm. We couldn't do that because... oh yeah, we didn't have any spare hyperspace-capable ships available at the time. They had hyperspace capable ships? Right, they probably did...

Mio
July 7th, 2004, 04:41 PM
I have before me starting new evidence that the replicators destroyed the furlings.

Yes! It's true!

This replicator piece was recently found on a planet by SG-3.14159

Dr. Jackson believes it to be the original homeworld of the FURLINGS! However, due to the materials it is made of, and technology it is emulating, it is reasonable to assume that the replicators were the cause of the Furlings demise. So folks, doesn't look like we'll be seeing Furlings.

:D

ShadowMaat
July 7th, 2004, 04:47 PM
Looks like something Schroedinger hacked up. ;)

Mio
July 7th, 2004, 04:48 PM
Looks like something Schroedinger hacked up. ;)
lol

Nolamom
July 7th, 2004, 05:54 PM
Good one Mio! I guess I'm not the only one into manipulating images, hehehe.

DownFallAngel
July 7th, 2004, 06:00 PM
SG-Pi, lmfao. Good one.

Mio
July 7th, 2004, 06:01 PM
Good one Mio! I guess I'm not the only one into manipulating images, hehehe.
Heh. If i can ever figure out how a replicator goes together, this could get interesting.

Torley
July 7th, 2004, 07:49 PM
If the genetic memory of some of these Goa'uld was not finished (for example, Hathor was a Queen and had numerous offspring), then perhaps one thing that could be done would be this:

advanced humanform Replicators in Season 8 capturing some of these Goa'uld, digging into their minds, and learning all the secrets of genetic memory including that of past Goa'uld like Hathor. We could have a Replicator who consumes naquadah (for obvious reasons like using Goa'uld weapons) and who infiltrates major Goa'uld under the pretense of coming back as a revived Hathor or Apophis or whatever -- after assuming the proper form -- and then eventually eating the whole place up to the horror of the snakey-things...... or, if you wanna arc it out, have them rise to power and NOT reveal to the audience that this is in fact a Replicator yet. Alternatively, let the audience in on it so they can squeal with glee while the Goa'uld get hammered.

Jafana
July 7th, 2004, 08:38 PM
I was always confused about how the Ashen couldnt really use the gate. I mean, they used it to send grain etc. back to their home planet, yet couldnt figure out how to get to other planets?? I don't buy it.

They're so technologically advanced they can predict a solar flare, but they cant figure out the gate co-ordinates for different planets??

as for Hathor, the goa'uld in O'neill died because of the extreme cold. The only reason he didn't die, was because it hadn't blended properly with him yet.
So, Hathor, already being blended, would have been killed along with the snake in her head.

The Tollans - I don't think we've seen the last of them. I think that at least a couple got away.

Elwe Singollo
July 7th, 2004, 09:04 PM
Yah, there had to been at least like more than one Tollan out of the world when they were getting attacked or something...

Anubis
July 7th, 2004, 11:21 PM
The Tollan normally went on missions, or they should gathering by their large and heavy amount of intelligence, so there should be more about..somewhere

Elwe Singollo
July 8th, 2004, 12:00 AM
Furlings, what if they are similar to the Nox? Or the exact opposite, who knows?!

Devil_U_Know
July 8th, 2004, 06:39 AM
I am certain that there are some Tollan survivors out there. Besides the very unlikely point of all the eggs (Tollans) being in one basket, the Tollan possessed ships with hyperspace capability. Combined with the use of their phase-shift technology, evacuating Tollan ships should escape unharmed while Goa'uld weapons fire harmlessly pass through them. The Tollan used their phase-shifting tech in almost every aspect of their society, much like using a tv and car remote control for us. It doesn't seem logical for a Tollan space vessel to NOT have a handy defensive system such as phase-shifting on board. Who needs shields when enemy missiles and energy weapons pass right through you thanks to phase-shifting. Let's see a Goa'uld ship follow you when you phase-shift your way inside the solid rock of a planet or something.
We know that Annubis found a way to effectively shield his forces from the Tollan ion cannons, but no mention is ever made about a way to defeat their phase-shift technology or of the Goa'uld getting their hands on it either. We would know already if the Goa'uld was using phase-shift...

" Your Trinium Iris Has Nothing On Me !!! " --- Annubis

So unless stated otherwise, Tollan survivors using phase-shifting tech must have escaped offworld before Annubis razed it.

Mio
July 8th, 2004, 06:41 AM
Shifting tech must have escaped offworld before Annubis razed it.
Would having your person phase-shifter turned on during a planetary attack prevent things like the ships weapons from killing you?

Ugly Pig
July 8th, 2004, 06:42 AM
So unless stated otherwise, Tollan survivors using phase-shifting tech must have escaped offworld before Annubis razed it.
Actually, unless stated otherwise they've all been wiped out by the goa'uld as far as the series is concerned. Logical or not, that's how it works. Sorry.

Anubis
July 8th, 2004, 07:02 AM
They have probably all been destroyed until we actually meet them. In the meantime, we won't know for sure, just like piggy suggested! :D

Devil_U_Know
July 8th, 2004, 07:43 AM
The purpose of this thread is simply to explore the chances of whether or not the subject matter mentioned will likely appear in future stories, Ugly Pig. I agree with you that the likelyhood of Hathor appearing in a future episode is most unlikely, but we all know that if a show's fan base is demanding enough, the writers will find a way to write a character back into the show.
The point that I am trying to make is that most fans want common sense and logical reasons as to why Hathor or the Tollans are alive and not lazy, cheap dream sequence tricks.

Give reasons based on what happened on the show, not just because the writers say so. We can all agree that it will be an even better viewing experience when writers and producers of a show respect their fans with healthy, well thought out story developments instead of insulting their intelligence with nonsensical plotlines.

The Klingons from Star Trek is an example of how NOT to do it.

Ridges On My Forehead?!?! I Don't Need No Stinkin Ridges !!!

Ugly Pig
July 8th, 2004, 08:11 AM
Give reasons based on what happened on the show, not just because the writers say so.
Indeed. And on the show, Hathor was killed and the Tollan wiped out. :p
Of course, the writers could always find ways to bring them back if they want to. My point was simply that as long as they don't actually do that, we have no real reason to assume these characters are anything but what the show has indicated: Eff'ing dead.

VirtualCLD
July 8th, 2004, 08:59 AM
SPOILERS CONTAINED WITHIN

I never understood how Hathor escaped in the first episode she was in. I mean, wouldn't someone have noticed her going back through the Stargate, or trying to leave the base. It was both host and symbiote that survived, so I would think she wouldn't have been to hard to miss. In any case, there is little chance of her coming back, even if the host body survives the freezing, it was made clear the Goa'uld would not.

I beleive there were some hints about the Ashen coming back in S8 but I wonder what they'll be up to now. I think the Tollan have little chance of coming back, as much as I would love them to. They were isolationists and did not leave their planet very often. With their ships getting shot down and the Stargate having been blocked by an incoming wormhole, I highly doubt anyone survived and if any did, they were probably interogated and then killed. As far as the phase-shift goes, it looked like you had to point it at whatever you wanted to phase through. That would mean they would need to use multiple high-speed, turret-mounted, phase-shifting devices on their ships, tracking every single incoming weapon (I'd love to see the PID controller for that device!!) Since most of the weapons were energy based, it might not matter with phase shifting, we never saw an energy weapon fire at a phase object, did we?

I would like to know more about the Furlings (aren't they a species in WarCraft III.... anyway). All we ever saw was what looked like the remains of a Furling "paradise" where O'Neill and Maybourne were stranded on the orbiting moon. Not much has been said about them, but they were advanced enough to join the alliance, so they must have had some interesting technollogy or abillities.

Ugly Pig
July 8th, 2004, 09:04 AM
I never understood how Hathor escaped in the first episode she was in. I mean, wouldn't someone have noticed her going back through the Stargate, or trying to leave the base.
IIRC, they did see her leaving through the stargate, as did we (the audience). It was just too late to stop her escape, especially with most of the base still under her control.

rihannsu
July 8th, 2004, 09:24 AM
Personally, I doubt the Tollan will be brought back - but you can bet your butt that Hathor won't be. Apparantly, TPTB (which in this case includes even the cast) hated the character which is probably why they killed her off the first chance they got. So she won't be back anytime soon.

Really??? I didn't know this. Detalis, please.

Ugly Pig
July 8th, 2004, 09:39 AM
Really??? I didn't know this. Detalis, please.
I wish I could provide them, but I honestly don't remember where I read/heard it. I think there were several sources, actually. They did say that it was the character they didn't like though - nobody had any issues with Suanne Braun.

One specific quote that I do remember was that when Jack told Hathor that "I was so hoping never to see you again" in 'Out of Mind', RDA really meant it. :D

Devil_U_Know
July 8th, 2004, 11:17 AM
"" I was always confused about how the Ashen couldnt really use the gate. I mean, they used it to send grain etc. back to their home planet, yet couldnt figure out how to get to other planets?? I don't buy it. ""

"" They're so technologically advanced they can predict a solar flare, but they cant figure out the gate co-ordinates for different planets?? ""

The reason why the Ashen had not explored further the possibility of additional gate addresses is the same reason why the SGC also did not do so until after the hostile incursion by Apophis' forces in the SG-1 TV series premiere. Captain Carter had spent years studying the gate and trying without any success to randomly dial out to another functioning stargate besides the one they already knew of... Abydos. The conclusion that the SGC came to was that there were only 2 stargates... The one on Abydos and Earth's.

Apophis changed all that.

As far as we know, the stargate on the Volian homeworld maybe the only gate address known to the Ashen. Since the Ashen are not curious or explorers by nature, they would naturally not be inclined or interested in using up valuable time and resources in search possible, but unproven additional addresses.

The arrival of SG-1 changed all of that.

The Ashen became even more interested in stargate travel and acquiring addresses after SG-1 informed them that there are thousands of stargates in the galaxy and beyond.
By knowing this, you can bet that the Ashen are busily working hard to map out the stargate network. It doesn't hurt that they are using those ultra-powerful computers to number-crunch out all the possible addresses.
A rapidly expanding Ashen Confederacy is definitely not in Earth's best interest. Remember, in the "2010" episode, the Ashen wiped out all the Goa'uld... including the To'kra.

VirtualCLD
July 8th, 2004, 12:43 PM
Actually, I beleive the reason why dialling random addresses didn't work was due to the stellar drift. To quote/paraphrase Carter:

"It took us years to "MacGuyver" a system to control the gate."

Their juryrigged system did NOT compensate for stellar drift as the native DHDs do. I forget the episode, but it was the DHD virus episode that we find out the DHDs are networked together and constantly update themselves to account for stellar drift.

Since the Ashen have a native DHD, trying random combinations would eventually lead to a new address discovery. Although, as you said, the Ashen are not outwardly agressive and they do take their time. Maybe they figured they would take their time before rushing off to discover as many adresses as possible.

Torley
July 8th, 2004, 01:03 PM
That makes me wonder how long the Aaschen lifespan is, exactly -- maybe they have innate patience or maybe it is the result of something or somethings else. They strike me as the type who would be cold, cruel psychological torturers who could keep an interrogation ongoing for years... I hope Faxon is still in good health!

Devil_U_Know
July 8th, 2004, 01:17 PM
"" Actually, I beleive the reason why dialling random addresses didn't work was due to the stellar drift. ""

Stellar drift doesn't mean a thing if you don't have the slightest idea whatsoever of what it is that is doing the drifting. Even if you know the amount of time in order to factor into your stellar drift equations, it would be useless for us because we have no idea which solar systems have stargates.
Without a working DHD, no speed dialing was possible for SGC's stargate, compounding the problem further. It wasn't until Colonel O'Neill made a return trip to Abydos in the first episode of SG-1 that Daniel Jackson revealed what he had discovered in one of the Abydonian pyramids... a huge room with walls covered by the addresses of almost every stargate in the network. It was only then, by using Abydos' gate address as a base reference, was Carter able to calculate the time involved for stellar drift into her equations in order to make Earth's stargate function properly.
The Ashen didn't have this advantage but now that they do know that there are thousands of stargates out there in the galaxy, they can rapidly catch up using their advanced computers and a functional DHD to speed dial. The Ashen will also likely have the added advantage of possessing more detailed astronomical star charts to help them narrow down the possible locations where stargates can be found. It will take time for them to get a decent idea of what the stargate network looks like, but as we have seen, the Ashen possess an abundance of patience.

Jack O'Neill's bloody warning from the future about the Ashen may only have postponed the inevitable.

Devil_U_Know
July 8th, 2004, 01:32 PM
"" That makes me wonder how long the Aaschen lifespan is ""

Knowing that the Ashen wiped out the Volian race with a "life-extending vaccine" which actually sterilized the Volians, plus the fact that they tried to bio bomb us once we figured out their true nature, I would have to guess that the Ashen are extremely advanced, especially in the field of biological sciences. It took about 200 years for their plan to wipe out the Volians to be completed. To the Ashen, they probably view a century's worth of time the same way we treat a decade's worth.

Therefore, I believe they possess a lifespan of hundreds, if not a thousand years.

Mio
July 8th, 2004, 08:02 PM
Therefore, I believe they possess a lifespan of hundreds, if not a thousand years.
Err, Aren't the aschen Human? Just really boring.

They probably only live like 200-250 years.

Torley
July 8th, 2004, 08:12 PM
Haha... being boring is how they live so long! I wouldn't be surprised if they started to rid Earth of video games and all that too.

That sounds like a reasonable lifespan to me, though.

The bio-bomb serves as evidence that if they need to, the Aschen WILL take quick and drastic, and rather lethal action. They're just kind of slow most of the time.

TPTB have stated they're intent on completing the "Aschen trilogy", so I'm counting on that! :D

DeLancey
July 8th, 2004, 11:21 PM
I wonder when Carter got a look at a Tollan ship. [Season 6, Forsaken. Carter comments that the ship doesn't appear to be Tollan or anything else they've seen].
I've also thought a bit about phase-shifting and energy weapons and I'm not sure if bolts of energy will pass through a phased individual [but they do pass through ascended beings :P]. I think the phase shift devices generate a field which 'phases' everything in that field. It doesn't just affect something it's pointed at otherwise why did O'Niell have to hold Teal'cs hand?
After Season 7's end, perhaps the Prometheus could go on a little trip to Tollana, at the very least for confirmation and maybe grab anything that may have been left behind.
As for the Furlings, maybe they're based in another Galaxy like the Asgard, I also wonder if they had any run-ins with the replicators.
The Aschen, how about an ironic Earth-Goa'uld alliance agains't them ;).

VirtualCLD
July 9th, 2004, 04:54 AM
I think the phase shift devices generate a field which 'phases' everything in that field. It doesn't just affect something it's pointed at otherwise why did O'Niell have to hold Teal'cs hand?

I've always wonderred about that. The VFX departement make it appear that the phase device is pointed at some object or wall and then makes the object phase-shift so the user can walk through it. Maybe the object only partially shifts out of phase (so it's still "solidish" to the objects around it, like the ground) and the user of the device partially shifts out of phase so they are still solidish, but the object and the user are then completely out of phase with eachother so they can go through one another. Kind of like adding two sine waves together. If the world is sine wave A, then the user could be a sine wave shifted 90 degrees to the left and teh object could be a sine wave shifted 90 degrees to the right. The user's and the object's sine waves are now 180 degrees out of phase and will cancel eachother out. However, their sine waves are only 90 degrees out oh phase with the rest of the world, then they can't phase through anything else. The only question I have with the phase-shift technology I've seen is, why did O'Neill have to hold Teal'cs hand yet the cat (Schreoder?) who walked through the iris not have to be touching the user of the phase-shifting device?

Hmmm... seem to be off topic a bit. Sorry.

Devil_U_Know
July 9th, 2004, 08:09 AM
"" Err, Aren't the aschen Human? Just really boring.

They probably only live like 200-250 years. ""

Not necessarily, Mio. We all know it's possible for a human being to live for thousands of years. Just look at all the hosts for the Goa'uld, for example. The system lords Yu, Apophis, Ra, as well as Hathor inhabit human bodies that have been kept in good condition due to Goa'uld sarcophagus technology.
With the Ashen's advanced knowledge in biological sciences and other technologies, I wouldn't be surprised to find out if they also take "coffin" breaks to rejuvenate themselves. We already know that repeated use of the Goa'uld sarcophagus tech on a human mind and body is bad for you. If the Ashen are using this technology also, they could very well be suffering from the same effects as well.

It would certainly explain a lot about the Ashen's dull and boring nature.

Then again, they might also be employing cloning technology that is similar to what the Asgard use. They can xerox a guy but they left out the personality and a sense of humor.

Devil_U_Know
July 9th, 2004, 08:52 AM
I wonder if the Tollans possessed Goa'uld cloaking technology. We know that the To'kra and the Tauri repeatedly used it in their ships.

Imagine if you will a Tollan ship equipped with a phase-shift field generator AND a Goa'uld cloaking device. This "Phasing Cloak" defensive system would give Tollan vessels an almost unbeatable advantage.

I know that an episode from Star Trek Next Generation dealt with the concept of a phasing cloak being deployed on a starship.

It's too bad that Tollan arrogance got them WASTED. IF there are survivors from Annubis' assault, they must be really shellshocked. Hopefully they will snap out of it, crawl out from the hole that they are hiding in, and swallow their pride. I'm sure the SGC would grant these refugees asylum, but this time, it will definitely be on our terms. A Food For Tech program sounds about right unless they go crawling to the Nox again.

Torley
July 9th, 2004, 12:13 PM
Note how advanced technology going hand-in-hand with arrogance is a common theme of the show? I'm not surprised :)

"No sense of humor" perhaps is related to genetics and could be considered a "cultural" aspect of the Aaschen. Even here on Earth, we have certain countries that are more associated with some types of humor than others (the unique British comedy comes to mind). I mean, look what the Swedish Chef did for Sweden! Ooops... that's a bad example ;) But a better one would be, look at what is considered to be "everyday normal" in Japan which seems freakin' hilarious to us -- all those Flash videos sure do add up.

The Aschen may have their own "sense of humor", but we just don't get it. Maybe they laugh in private after sadistically sterilizing entire races. Can you imagine Boren, finger to his lips like Dr. Evil... MUHAHAHAHA :(

Devil_U_Know
July 9th, 2004, 02:22 PM
The Ashen's emotional unattachment was a hint of something much darker... a window to their true nature. By their actions we already know how calculating and cold-blooded these people are. Their absense of any noticeable humor or personality could very well be the end result of the technologically sterile society in which they live in.

The Ashen's advanced technology has basically robbed them of their souls and their humanity.

override367
July 10th, 2004, 12:35 AM
Here is why I don't think the Ashen are a serious threat

- The excitement when he said "we already have what we need" walking off with the laptop with the 10 addresses was about as giddy as I've ever seen an Ashen. They will probably have dialed #1 on the list, opening a black hole, now the Ashen are quite smart but at the stage the black hole was at the time dialation would be horrendously bad, even if they covered the gate. It would take them centuries to close the gate, assuming the tidal forces didn't translate through and destroy the planet they were on (they would probably dial from the Volian world, but it would still probably end their forray with gate exploration due to the risk factor)

- You need a set of un-re-mapped coordinates to map out new ones by compensating for stellar drift. The only reason Earth could do it is that they had the cartouche from Abidos, the Ashen have 10 addresses (13 actually, earth, volian, and their planet) with this they could figure out that the addresses are 6 points in space and point of origin, however you can't just look at a starchart and pick a planet and say "here, let's figure out the address", there are trillions of planets in the galaxy and afaik there only thousands of gates, so that would be an excercise in futility. The ONLY way to know which planets have a gate on them, is to find a list of planets that have gates on them :) (earth has the cartouche data and O'neill's additions)

- The Ashen are not big risk takers, so it is unlikely that they would even conduct exploration of the gate system even if they could figure out addresses (if they try any on the list the SGC gave them they may loose their taste for gate travel :) )

- We don't even know if they have hyperdrive or fast hyperdrive or what, the Tolan had hyperdrive but the trip to Earth was hundreds of years. So you could be more advanced than say the Goa'uld (like the Tolan) and not have ships that are as fast. I find it unlikely they had hyperdrive as their territory is confined to such a small area. That, or they just don't feel like exploring because of the risks involved.

- In the 2010 future, SG-1 retires and the replicators are likely never stopped, leaving the asgard SOL, that isn't the case anymore so if the Ashen show up they may have a problem on their hands (since the Asgard manufacture their own bodies, and can live WITHOUT bodies via conciousness transferall to computer, the Ashen bio weapons would be useless even if they could penetrate the shields) since the Asgard now have some breathing room with the replicators and may now be able to protect planets in our galaxy

Overall the Ashen COULD make an appearance, but I doubt it, and frankly I don't like them as villains. Villains need to have personalities and weapons that make big explosions.

priornavalperson
July 10th, 2004, 03:36 PM
Regarding the Aschen, I remember that Sen. Kinsey, the sleaze ball politico, was hot to tort to ally with the Acschen in 2001, and was President, under the Aschen, in 2010. When you consider that he told Dr, Weir in Lost City I that "You don't know what my agenda is"..... Hmmmmm.:S

Azramm
July 10th, 2004, 07:18 PM
Kinsey, at least in an official capacity is now out of the picture. I don't think we've seen the last of him either.

Calicto
July 10th, 2004, 07:31 PM
1. Aschen: They are assumed to be weak currently. Seriously, Earth almost perished when they activated to a blackhole. As someone said, the Aschen depend on patient. They have really slow ships. That's why all of the Aschen planets are close together. If they were smart, they probably tried to access the stargate on another planet, however, it seems illogical because they barely had any other addresses. Once one planet is sucked, near bye planets get effected too. They have slow ships, they're not gonna get anywhere.

2. Tollan: They're toast. Maybe there are surviviors, but theres doubt. The stargate was not made of naquadah and could have been easily destroyed and Anubis had alot of arsenal. The Tollan were so cocky in their ways that they depended on those ion cannons. They barely had any other defense methods. There might be a tollan or two in the forest, hiding. But Stargate has no intention, as of yet, to have an episode including them.

3. Hathor: She's dead. I think Amaterasu might replace her in that 'b**chy' type of way.

4. Furlings: We might never know. Stargate doesnt and shouldnt be so convenient that we learn about every race that once stood in the galaxy. I think its excellent that the show has not shown the Furlings. It makes it more appealable to the viewers and adds a curiosity to the universe. It's so big. We'll never learn it all.

Devil_U_Know
July 11th, 2004, 07:54 AM
"" They have really slow ships. That's why all of the Aschen planets are close together. If they were smart, they probably tried to access the stargate on another planet, however, it seems illogical because they barely had any other addresses. Once one planet is sucked, near bye planets get effected too. They have slow ships, they're not gonna get anywhere. ""

In the episode "2010", the Ashen wiped out the Goa'uld. Yes, the Tauri had a hand in helping to bring the Goa'uld to their knees, but can you seriously believe that the Ashen could have done this without possessing fast, powerful ships of their own? Get real! You also have to throw in Annubis as another Goa'uld that got what was coming to him in this timeline.
As a race possessing massive, agricultural harvesting ships that can also whip up a bio-bomb in short notice, not to mention superior teleportation tech that doesn't require rings, and computers that can be used for time travel, the Ashen are definitely a handful.
Fast, powerful ships with advanced teleportation tech won't have any problems in dumping a stargate in a place where the sun doesn't shine. A forcefield and an antigraviton field will supress the effects of a black hole-linked gate, giving the Ashen plenty of time to deal with this problem.
And who knows? There is a very real possiblilty the Ashen could have already reversed-engineered the stargate.

aAnubiSs
July 11th, 2004, 08:02 AM
The Aschen would have no problem taking care of the Goa'uld in one way.

Open the gate, throw in a biological weapon, close gate. Dial next goa'uld planet.

If they came in ships... that would be a problem. Unless the Aschen just happens to have some überweapon.

Mio
July 11th, 2004, 08:06 AM
Not necessarily, Mio. We all know it's possible for a human being to live for thousands of years. Just look at all the hosts for the Goa'uld, for example. The system lords Yu, Apophis, Ra, as well as Hathor inhabit human bodies that have been kept in good condition due to Goa'uld sarcophagus technology.
With the Ashen's advanced knowledge in biological sciences and other technologies, I wouldn't be surprised to find out if they also take "coffin" breaks to rejuvenate themselves. We already know that repeated use of the Goa'uld sarcophagus tech on a human mind and body is bad for you. If the Ashen are using this technology also, they could very well be suffering from the same effects as well.

It would certainly explain a lot about the Ashen's dull and boring nature.

Then again, they might also be employing cloning technology that is similar to what the Asgard use. They can xerox a guy but they left out the personality and a sense of humor.

By Sarcophagus tech, not thousands. See 'Need' for details on THAT.

I think the sarc, since derived from Ancient healing tech, would be more advanced than the Aschen medical stuff....esp since their technology couldn't ressurect Hammond in 2010.

VirtualCLD
July 11th, 2004, 08:46 AM
1. Aschen: They are assumed to be weak currently. Seriously, Earth almost perished when they activated to a blackhole. As someone said, the Aschen depend on patient. They have really slow ships. That's why all of the Aschen planets are close together. If they were smart, they probably tried to access the stargate on another planet, however, it seems illogical because they barely had any other addresses. Once one planet is sucked, near bye planets get effected too. They have slow ships, they're not gonna get anywhere.

Spoilers:

Hmmm... I must have missed something in the Ashen story line. I remember 2001 when they thwart the Ashen's atempt to send the bio-bomb through the gate, by Sam dropping from the ship and through stargate to warn SGC to close the iris. However, how did the Ashen gate to a blackhole? I must have forgotten somthing.

aAnubiSs
July 11th, 2004, 08:47 AM
They were given a list of gates, as a goodwill-gesture. Goa'uld strongholds, back hole and that kind of nice planets.

Selmak
July 11th, 2004, 09:01 AM
At least in the cases of Hathor and the Tollan, they are not "unfinished business". They have met their ends, the reluctance of some fans to accept that won't change it.

I agree... I don't think they are coming back. I would like to see the Achen arc be wrapped up though.

Elwe Singollo
July 11th, 2004, 02:04 PM
Hathor, we all saw her death due to the hands of Jack, i don't know how anyone can say she didn't die. And the Tollans, they can easily just be called 'a dead race', unless they actually do another episode about them being alive, but i think they have met their end.

baal07
July 11th, 2004, 11:17 PM
How come weve seein 3 out of the 4 rases that the Asgrad spoke. Nox, Asgard, anchints wich we will in Atlantis but weve only vagely herd of
the furlings. I think sens this might be the last sesun of sg.1 we should
see them soon.

Elwe Singollo
July 11th, 2004, 11:28 PM
Although this topic was already discussed in previous threads i dont think we will see the Furlings, but since it maybe the last season, i have a slighty higher hopes.

Janus
July 12th, 2004, 01:21 AM
If the Furlings are not shown in season eight of SG-1, there's always Atlantis.
Maybe the Furlings left our galaxy to keep an eye on the Wraith....

Devil_U_Know
July 13th, 2004, 08:38 AM
Apophis used the Goa'uld hand bracelet to surround himself with a forcefield when surrounded by replicators on the bridge of Cronus' former flagship in the 5th season episode "Enemies"

Replicators could clearly be seen crawling all over the forcefield but were unable to make contact with Apophis. The forcefield couldn't save him however from smashing into his new base.

Hathor also possessed and used a Goa'uld hand bracelet. By projecting a forcefield of her own, she would have easily survived the plunge into that ultra-cold liquid nitrogen. SG-1 never bothered to check to make certain that Hathor had indeed "check out" permanently. You would think they would at least be more thorough, especially since Hathor is a Goa'uld queen capable of bredding many thousands of troublemaking Goa'uld larvae.

VirtualCLD
July 13th, 2004, 08:43 AM
Hathor also possessed and used a Goa'uld hand bracelet. By projecting a forcefield of her own, she would have easily survived the plunge into that ultra-cold liquid nitrogen. SG-1 never bothered to check to make certain that Hathor had indeed "check out" permanently. You would think they would at least be more thorough, especially since Hathor is a Goa'uld queen capable of bredding many thousands of troublemaking Goa'uld larvae.

Ah but does the forcefield trap air around the subject, no, they would only have enough air for a couple minutes. The shield won't be able to protect the user from temperature. even if air was trapped inised, the temperature would still drop. No, i believe that's the last we've seen of Hathor. (but I've been known to be wrong before)

Devil_U_Know
July 13th, 2004, 09:07 AM
Ah but does the forcefield trap air around the subject, no, they would only have enough air for a couple minutes. The shield won't be able to protect the user from temperature. even if air was trapped inised, the temperature would still drop. No, i believe that's the last we've seen of Hathor. (but I've been known to be wrong before)

We also know and have seen the Goa'uld hand bracelet used in such a way as to project an invisible repulsive field. Every member of SG-1 has been on the receiving end of this repulsive blast. I don't see why Hathor couldn't have just projected a uniformed repulsive blast all around her that would have cleared out all of the liquid nitrogen.

It's also been noted that Hathor, like Niirti, possessed and used stealth/invisibility technology. This is yet another reason why you just can not assume that Hathor is dead and buried.

wilhelmganon
July 13th, 2004, 09:13 AM
We also know and have seen the Goa'uld hand bracelet used in such a way as to project an invisible repulsive field. Every member of SG-1 has been on the receiving end of this repulsive blast. I don't see why Hathor couldn't have just projected a uniformed repulsive blast all around her that would have cleared out all of the liquid nitrogen.

It's also been noted that Hathor, like Niirti, possessed and used stealth/invisibility technology. This is yet another reason why you just can not assume that Hathor is dead and buried.

The ribbon device has never demonstrated the ability to project a displacement wave radially about a goa'uld; that is, waves have only been emitted in a direction outward from the red crystal in the palm of the device. Even if Hathor was able to radially emit a displacement wave, I doubt it would have been powerful enough to get rid of ALL of the cryogenic liquid - more would have rushed in around her in its place.

In all instances of the forceshield being used, the shield was stationary and had a base from which to establish itself (the floor). It's unlikely, in my opinion, that a forceshield would have been able to completely encapsulate Hathor and keep her protected indefinitely, even when the HUGE reactor in her compound was blown to bits.

Ice^^Heat
July 16th, 2004, 01:55 PM
Dudes,

Will the Furling issue be adressed in Season 8????

aAnubiSs
July 16th, 2004, 01:57 PM
Where have you been? We already know much about the Furlings. :P

And we have no idea if they'll be brought up in S8

Ice^^Heat
July 16th, 2004, 01:59 PM
Where have you been? We already know much about the Furlings. :P

And we have no idea if they'll be brought up in S8

We do?

Anthro Girl
July 16th, 2004, 02:00 PM
Dudes,

Dudette, here. :p I've said it before and I'll say it again: I don't care if they mention the Furlings or reference their technology, but I don't ever want to see them. With a name like "Furlings" hanging around since Season 2, there isn't anything they could dream up that would meet the expectations of the fans. ;) I kinda like the idea just hanging "out there".

Ice^^Heat
July 16th, 2004, 02:01 PM
Hello female dude,

Well someone said in another topic on General he was mad that they didnt adress the Furling issue in S7.

aAnubiSs
July 16th, 2004, 02:06 PM
We don't know anything about the Furlings. Only that they are furry.

Anthro Girl
July 16th, 2004, 02:36 PM
We don't know anything about the Furlings. Only that they are furry.
Actually, we don't know that, but it's a logical assumption. However, scifi loves to trump assumptions. O'Neill made a crack about it in Paradise Lost, but that's my point:

We don't know if they're furry. We don't know if they're "cute" (Ewoks come to mind). We don't know who gave them the name "Furlings"...or if "fur" means the same thing in the language (currently unknown) in which the name was given...or if the suffix -ling, meaning 'a person or thing belonging to or concerned with what is denoted by the primary noun' is the same. :p

Language is such fun, no? :)

aAnubiSs
July 16th, 2004, 02:38 PM
They're either Care bears or gremlings... pick one.

Anthro Girl
July 16th, 2004, 02:40 PM
Gremlings? or Gremlins? I like the Gremlins analogy...only they turn evil with a zat blast! :eek:

I wonder if anyone at Gatecon will ask the question of any TPTB that may be there. That would be nice, although I doubt we'll get a definitive answer.

SGTLopez
July 16th, 2004, 05:34 PM

Cool! Why can't they be both? :) They can be all furry and cute when they're in a good mood and then turn Gremlin-esq when you piss them off. http://forums.nasioc.com/ubb-files/smilies/lildevil.gif

DownFallAngel
July 16th, 2004, 06:03 PM
They are still locked in the closet!

WHY ARE YOU NOT WATCHING ATLANTIS?!?!

Mio
July 16th, 2004, 07:58 PM
Quiet! You're not supposed to know about that...

David85
July 16th, 2004, 08:53 PM
To quote the good president, not the bad one named Bush, "never going to happen."

Janus
July 17th, 2004, 01:02 AM

WHY ARE YOU NOT WATCHING ATLANTIS?!?!

I thought the Replicators had led them out ?
Besides, wouldn't they have thought of breaking the door down by now.

Mio
July 17th, 2004, 04:34 AM
I thought the Replicators had led them out ?
Besides, wouldn't they have thought of breaking the door down by now.
Nope, and that's how we got them in the closet in the first place. But: shhhh...

aAnubiSs
July 17th, 2004, 07:50 AM
I thought the replicators opened the door so the Furlings got out? That's what you said earlier atleast.

Janus
July 17th, 2004, 11:53 AM
I thought the replicators opened the door so the Furlings got out? That's what you said earlier atleast.

You're right, that's what Mio said !
And now they cannot be stopped !
So hide and remember....THE FURLINGS ARE COMING !!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Mio
July 17th, 2004, 12:41 PM
No. The replicators openned the door, and the Furlings Destroyed them.

However, they aren't very smart, and accidentally locked it on themselves again.

MetZger
July 18th, 2004, 06:48 AM
I think the furlings are those teddies from StarWars but as you know they live in a galaxy far far away so we will probably not meet them. :o

Damek
July 18th, 2004, 07:20 AM
First, I think it's obvious that Furlings would have nothing to do with "fur" since it's an alien name like "Asgard" or "Nox", which also have no meaning in english.

But since it is Stargate and they could just make up something like "the Ancients spoke english and they named the Furlings" (ha), it still doesn't have to have anything to do with fur. What if it's not "fur - lings" but "<a href="http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=furl">furl</a> - ings"? A very reclusive, introspective civilization that could close up regions of space or something (hence, furl)? And maybe they furled themselves up to get away from everything? Such a thing is not unheard of in sci-fi, the Nox are kinda like that and I've read sci-fi books where the concept is central to the plot. Alastair Reynolds' work comes to mind. Man, he's a good author...

July 18th, 2004, 03:20 PM
Yes, they might not be furry at all. Like some poster previously mentioned, they might even be the giant alien race daniel's grandfather now reside with.

disforw
July 19th, 2004, 08:14 AM
I think the furlings will be a race we never get to see. I would love to see them, but i think it would be to much to introduce them now, we just learnt of the ancients.

aAnubiSs
July 19th, 2004, 08:19 AM
They should have their own spin-off :D

Anthro Girl
July 19th, 2004, 08:22 AM
Okay, here's a dumb idea because the name "Ancients" is bothering me. I just can't see how the "Ancients" would call themselves "The Ancients". They are "The Ancients" to us because they're really, really old, right? During their time, however, I can't see how they would refer to themselves as "The Ancients". (Ignoring the whole English-language-word-meaning thing...)

Maybe the Ancients are The Furlings? :p

(that's a joke, btw)

aschen
July 19th, 2004, 09:10 AM
Gremlings? or Gremlins? I like the Gremlins analogy...only they turn evil with a zat blast! :eek:

I wonder if anyone at Gatecon will ask the question of any TPTB that may be there. That would be nice, although I doubt we'll get a definitive answer.

I've always imagined them as looking like Lemings. You know, those little guys from the old video games?

aAnubiSs
July 19th, 2004, 10:40 AM
There's billions of them!

Lemmings would be awsome!

VirtualCLD
July 19th, 2004, 10:46 AM
Which is the joke, the Furlings=Ancients or the Ancients calling themselves Ancients. As was stated in previous threads, the term "Ancients" in their language probably did not mean Ancients. That would be like us becoming superadvanced in several million years and other races start using the word "Human" to mean really old. We never called ourselves old, it's just that our name for ourselves came to mean old when used by other races/cultures.

PS:
Lemmings would be awesome. Maybe that's why we don't see any of them anymore. They all followed eachother off a cliff or someone hit the nuke button.

Anthro Girl
July 19th, 2004, 11:12 AM
Which is the joke, the Furlings=Ancients or the Ancients calling themselves Ancients.
Now that I think about it, either could be the joke. ;)

As was stated in previous threads, the term "Ancients" in their language probably did not mean Ancients.
There's that whole English-language-word-meaning thing that acts like a big monkeywrench in scifi! If it doesn't mean "Ancients" in their language, then when SG-1 or Atlantis actually figure out what they called themselves, then we will have a new name, right? If we can translate it, then we should translate it. Maybe what they called themselves in their language really translates to "Big Kahunas". :eek: I understand calling them the "Ancients" now, but I guess we don't (yet) know what they called themselves then?

That would be like us becoming superadvanced in several million years and other races start using the word "Human" to mean really old. We never called ourselves old, it's just that our name for ourselves came to mean old when used by other races/cultures.
Actually, I was thinking it was more like someone living in the Dark Ages saying, "Hey, this is the Dark Ages. It'll get better one day! Soon we shall have the Middle Ages!" :rolleyes: We only call it the Dark Ages now because the historical record shows that there was a general lack of cultural development between 500 and 1500AD. I don't think Peking Man thought of himself as Peking Man and I seriously doubt that Neanderthals thought of themselves as "Neanderthals", seeing as they probably didn't name the Neander Valley. :p

Funaho
July 19th, 2004, 11:32 AM
You know whenever i think about a "Furling" I can't help but think it sounds like a name for a baby Furby. i certainly hope furbies aren't one of the four races. :)

sshspooky
July 19th, 2004, 12:57 PM
Dudes,

I think i remember reading somewhere that TPTB said they will not address the Furlings SG-1 now but they may at some point address them in Atlantis.

aAnubiSs
July 19th, 2004, 12:58 PM
I can't remember that, and I read everything :D

sshspooky
July 19th, 2004, 01:05 PM
I can't remember that, and I read everything :D

Perhaps because you read everything certain things you read are pushed out of your brain by the new things?

Me, reading only somethings and not been here for too long can remember the odd line here or that that has slipped your mind?

Or, perhaps i am just plain crazy. It's a possibility. I mean, i do consider the Nox to be evil. Perhaps the Nox wiped out the Furlings to gain power?

The Nox and Furlings are the two least looked at of the 4, and i personally think they are probably the most interesting. Just got to wait another 7 years for Stargate: The Furlings...

uknesvuinng
July 19th, 2004, 02:07 PM
I think i remember reading somewhere that TPTB said they will not address the Furlings SG-1 now but they may at some point address them in Atlantis.
I know it was said the 9th cheveron will never be addressed in SG1, though it may be addressed in Atlantis, I don't know about the Furlings. It does kinda makes sense though.

Metonic
July 23rd, 2004, 07:39 PM
The Furligns are coming the furlings are coming...

Furlings are cat people, cause Furling sounds like Hurling and Fur is for Cathair so its a hairball see Furlings. either that or they puke up fur.

the adventurer
July 23rd, 2004, 07:40 PM
OR!

They come from the Planet FUR.

Hohenzollern
July 23rd, 2004, 09:21 PM
A feline race? Yeah I could go for that. If they look like Kzinti.

Daniel will have to learn a language similiar to Kzints'utng (the "Heroes Tongue")!

Jafana
July 23rd, 2004, 09:32 PM
Sorry about that. I was not sure what season it was in. Besides, the topic did say General Discussion. I was not talking about Season 6. I just think it would be unfair if you had to put what races appeared in what season.
Thats why I put it in general discussion.

The reason it is suggested that this thread should be in the season six folder is because the episode that you're referring to - Paradise lost - is in season six. As a way to try to keep the board as easy to navigate as possible, keeping things that relate to each other together makes it a lot less bulky and chaotic than it could be.

Also - Thank you very much for putting the spoiler warning in the thread title - however putting the season for which the spoilers refer to is also handy (particularly right at the beginning of the airing of a new season - ie. season 8 and Atlantis- otherwise your thread could be overlooked by people who have seen the episode already and could have an answer to your question, but want to avoid spoilers for other seasons)

BUT... in answer to your questions -

Mio is right - that only some of the furlings decided to live without tech. I don't believe however that the planet in paradise lost was the home planet of the furlings. just one that was colonised by these particular ones.
- Actually, now that i think about it, was it definitively decided that the inhabitants of said planet were infact Furlings? I would have to go back and rewatch the ep, but I seem to remember something that they were only guessing it was so.

I also doubt that the Furlings are extinct. It is my belief that they too, have decided to move on to another galaxy for reasons unknown to us.

Janus
July 24th, 2004, 05:56 AM
The bones we saw in 'Paradise Lost' looked humaniod, but that still doesn't tell us much.
I have no idea what they would like, but I'm sure they weren't furry.
That would be way to obvious.

aAnubiSs
July 24th, 2004, 05:58 AM
The bones werent furlings.

Jafana
July 24th, 2004, 08:44 PM
The bones we saw in 'Paradise Lost' looked humaniod, but that still doesn't tell us much.
I have no idea what they would like, but I'm sure they weren't furry.
That would be way to obvious.

Ohh I have a theory about this: (spoilers are in white - highlight)
The alliance of the four races - we have:
1. The Nox: Humanoid - They look a little weird, what with their funky hair and stuff. But basically they have a very similar body structure.
2. The Ancients:
(Spoilers: Frozen, S.6)
The chick in the ice was an ancient. she looked very like a human. and I believe there was speculation in this ep that the ancients were more advanced forms of humans?

3. asgard:
Revelations S.5 (do I need spoilers for season 5?)
Asgard before they were cloned beyond recognition, looked very humanoid.

so then, it's very likely that the furlings were humanoid. I'm very much aware that in an alliance such as this one, it's definately not a prerequisite for all members to be human or humanoid.. but it would simply make sense for races similar to each other to come together to form an alliance.

Which would also suggest then that the furlings weren't furry.. As Janus suggested.

sueKay
July 25th, 2004, 02:10 AM
The reason it is suggested that this thread should be in the season six folder is because the episode that you're referring to - Paradise lost - is in season six. As a way to try to keep the board as easy to navigate as possible, keeping things that relate to each other together makes it a lot less bulky and chaotic than it could be.

Also - Thank you very much for putting the spoiler warning in the thread title - however putting the season for which the spoilers refer to is also handy (particularly right at the beginning of the airing of a new season - ie. season 8 and Atlantis- otherwise your thread could be overlooked by people who have seen the episode already and could have an answer to your question, but want to avoid spoilers for other seasons)

BUT... in answer to your questions -

Mio is right - that only some of the furlings decided to live without tech. I don't believe however that the planet in paradise lost was the home planet of the furlings. just one that was colonised by these particular ones.
- Actually, now that i think about it, was it definitively decided that the inhabitants of said planet were infact Furlings? I would have to go back and rewatch the ep, but I seem to remember something that they were only guessing it was so.

I also doubt that the Furlings are extinct. It is my belief that they too, have decided to move on to another galaxy for reasons unknown to us.

Hi Jafana!

Lovin your sig!