This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anthro Girl
    No one actually knows what happened to Shroedinger's Cat.
    Since it's observation that determines whether the cat is alive or dead, isn't it better to NOT see him and assume he's alive than to actually SEE him and risk his being dead?

edit because I can't resist tossing in a few Pratchett quotes, both from Last Hero :

Albert: If I understand it right, you don't know if the cat's dead or alive until you look at it.
    Death: THINGS WILL HAVE COME TO A PRETTY PASS, ALBERT, IF I DO NOT KNOW WHETHER A THING WAS DEAD OR ALIVE WITHOUT HAVING TO GO AND LOOK.

and

Albert: Er... the way the theory goes, sir, it's the act of lookin' that determines if it's alive or not.
    Death: ARE YOU IMPLYING THAT I WILL KILL THE CAT JUST BY LOOKING AT IT?
    Albert: It's not quite like that, sir.
    Death: IT'S NOT AS IF I MAKE FACES OR ANYTHING.

Comment

I think it may be dangerous to not mention the cat, because one day, they may mention the poor cat, and they may see he passed away, and yes, that'll be bad... But i doubt that will happen...
      Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
        Since it's observation that determines whether the cat is alive or dead, isn't it better to NOT see him and assume he's alive than to actually SEE him and risk his being dead?
        Oh, but can we suffer the suspense?! Besides, cats have nine lives, right? Surely we'd get another chance to determine his state?

Nope...I still think the Tollans know and they ain't telling.
        Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
        O'Neill: Who doesn't?
        - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
        - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
        once done, cannot be undone...
        brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Comment

Yah suffering isn't good
          Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

Wow, reviewing this thread, there's a laundry list of interesting characters/aliens they could follow up on -- Laira, Shifu, Nick & Giant Aliens, Re'tu, Furlings, Heimdall, Aris Boch, Nox, Tollan, Aschen, etc., etc.,

I'd bet big bucks we won't see any of those in season 8. We'd probably have a better chance of seeing Martin Lloyd and Felger and Coombs and Chloe. *sigh*

I think they really could have done a lot more with the whole Furling thing but I don't think they'll ever be developed now.

As I recall, Schroedinger the cat was pronounced live and well by Brad Wright (or Joe, I forget) at one of the conventions. They apparently forgot all about him when they wrote the final Tollan episode but decided later (when fans asked about the cat) that he "made it".
            Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

Originally posted by Kes
              As I recall, Schroedinger the cat was pronounced live and well by Brad Wright (or Joe, I forget) at one of the conventions. They apparently forgot all about him when they wrote the final Tollan episode but decided later (when fans asked about the cat) that he "made it".
              Yeah, but that's such a lame cop-out. "Who? Schroedinger? Oh, you mean the cat? Er... Of course he, er... made it. Yeah, he's, um, alive and well with some alien cat chick somewhere. Right..."

It's as bad as only coming up with the Furlings because they needed a fourth race and had no intention of developing them beyond that.

Or Daniel's whole "What do YOU think?" thing in WOO. They didn't come up with an original question for that, either.

Very frustrating.

Comment

Yeah, but that's such a lame cop-out. "Who? Schroedinger? Oh, you mean the cat? Er... Of course he, er... made it. Yeah, he's, um, alive and well with some alien cat chick somewhere. Right..."
                It's as bad as only coming up with the Furlings because they needed a fourth race and had no intention of developing them beyond that.
                Yeah the cat thing is kind of lame. I was always impressed that the writers remembered Schroedinger in the second Tollan episode and then couldn't believe they totally forgot about him in "Between Two Fires". Of course it might have ruined the drama of the moment if Narim handed a little Tollan cat carrier to Sam as they left thru the gate. Or might have been really sweet. *sniff*

Even if they never intended to develop the Furlings originally, what prevented them from developing them later? You know they've had five seasons since they were first mentioned in "The Fifth Race". The fans asked constantly, everyone was interested.

It's like they thought the name was silly and couldn't think of anything to do with them. Heck I'd have gone against type and made them big and fierce, or they could have ripped off (er...homaged...) Startrek and made the Furlings the Ferengi of Stargate. I can see the Furlings being kind of devious horsetraders.

Comment

I'm still hoping to see the Furlings but it may be more possible in Atlantis
                  __

__

Comment

Originally posted by Kes
                    Of course it might have ruined the drama of the moment if Narim handed a little Tollan cat carrier to Sam as they left thru the gate. Or might have been really sweet. *sniff*
                    You don't know much about cats, do you? The scene would be SG-1 standing at the gate and Sam arguing that they should go back while weapons fire rains down upon the Tollan. The gate activates and Daniel sends the IDC... and then something shoots between Sam's legs and through the gate.

"What the hell was that?" Sam demands.

A stray shot blasts the ground near the team.

"No time! Run!" Jack and the others run through the gate... where the find Schroedinger calmly washing himself in the middle of the gateroom floor, next to a slightly annoyed General Hammond.

There'd be no "handing off" of Schroedinger, he'd save his own furry @ss.

Comment

Hopefool is more like it.
                      Yeah,and proud of it!

Good pun,Shadow!
                      The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

*Sniff* A fine specimen of the Feline Uber-Race,IMO! *Sniff*
                        ALL cats focus on themselves,Folks.They're Goa'uld in cute furry costumes that's all!

Seriously: I love the wish lists here on this thread. Hope PTB actually bring back some of those Characters....
                        The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

You don't know much about cats, do you? The scene would be SG-1 standing at the gate and Sam arguing that they should go back while weapons fire rains down upon the Tollan. The gate activates and Daniel sends the IDC... and then something shoots between Sam's legs and through the gate.

"What the hell was that?" Sam demands.

A stray shot blasts the ground near the team.

"No time! Run!" Jack and the others run through the gate... where the find Schroedinger calmly washing himself in the middle of the gateroom floor, next to a slightly annoyed General Hammond.

LOL! I love this! Great tag scene.

P.S. I do have a cat, who treats me with the disdain I deserve.

Comment

Maybe Schroedinger IS a Furling... it'd explain a lot of things, wouldn't it?

Comment

maybe a gould took over the cat and will use him to enter the SGC and destroy it

Comment

Sure there are loads they could bring back, some they have said may well come back, and some they have said definetely wont. But what about the characters and races who will be killed off? Bare in mind most of the retu are supposed to have been killed by the goauld anyway, the tollan are toast, and the tokra were almost wiped out 2 years ago. It would be nice to at least have a passing remark about some of the missing things - a whole episode devoted to them would be a waste - particulary in the case of characters like retu charlie and lara from "100 days". If they go all out to bring back every major race we ever met, and all the ones we could have done, it will seem like a deus ex machina - in the last few episodes of the last season we suddenly find a load of the folks we havent seen in years are up for helping us in the last climacitc battle - terribly convenient. If they bring in the Furlings they will have to come up with a reason why they wont help us out, as they have done with the Nox, Asgard and Ancients, and "pacifist and uncaring", "otherwise occupied" and "arrogant and uncaring" are already taken...

I for one want to see the tok'ra force jacob/selmac, by their actions, to issue a smackdown and once and for all rid us of them entirely .

NB: TPTB are under no obligation to tell us about the furlings, I would be interested, but no doubt we will eventually get the full story of the alliance and what exactly happened to all its members before the show ends. Also, the furlings did kind of feature in the episide "Paradise lost" - at least their technology did. Its not crucial for us to actually meet them anyway.

Sorry - that was a much shorter post in my head...

Comment

Working...
                                X