Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yah, there had to been at least like more than one Tollan out of the world when they were getting attacked or something...
    Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

The Tollan normally went on missions, or they should gathering by their large and heavy amount of intelligence, so there should be more about..somewhere
      __

__

Comment

Furlings, what if they are similar to the Nox? Or the exact opposite, who knows?!
        Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

I am certain that there are some Tollan survivors out there. Besides the very unlikely point of all the eggs (Tollans) being in one basket, the Tollan possessed ships with hyperspace capability. Combined with the use of their phase-shift technology, evacuating Tollan ships should escape unharmed while Goa'uld weapons fire harmlessly pass through them. The Tollan used their phase-shifting tech in almost every aspect of their society, much like using a tv and car remote control for us. It doesn't seem logical for a Tollan space vessel to NOT have a handy defensive system such as phase-shifting on board. Who needs shields when enemy missiles and energy weapons pass right through you thanks to phase-shifting. Let's see a Goa'uld ship follow you when you phase-shift your way inside the solid rock of a planet or something.
          We know that Annubis found a way to effectively shield his forces from the Tollan ion cannons, but no mention is ever made about a way to defeat their phase-shift technology or of the Goa'uld getting their hands on it either. We would know already if the Goa'uld was using phase-shift...

" Your Trinium Iris Has Nothing On Me !!! " --- Annubis

So unless stated otherwise, Tollan survivors using phase-shifting tech must have escaped offworld before Annubis razed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Devil_U_Know
            Shifting tech must have escaped offworld before Annubis razed it.
            Would having your person phase-shifter turned on during a planetary attack prevent things like the ships weapons from killing you?
            sigpic

Comment

So unless stated otherwise, Tollan survivors using phase-shifting tech must have escaped offworld before Annubis razed it.
              Actually, unless stated otherwise they've all been wiped out by the goa'uld as far as the series is concerned. Logical or not, that's how it works. Sorry.
              Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

They have probably all been destroyed until we actually meet them. In the meantime, we won't know for sure, just like piggy suggested!
                __

__

Comment

The purpose of this thread is simply to explore the chances of whether or not the subject matter mentioned will likely appear in future stories, Ugly Pig. I agree with you that the likelyhood of Hathor appearing in a future episode is most unlikely, but we all know that if a show's fan base is demanding enough, the writers will find a way to write a character back into the show.
                  The point that I am trying to make is that most fans want common sense and logical reasons as to why Hathor or the Tollans are alive and not lazy, cheap dream sequence tricks.

Give reasons based on what happened on the show, not just because the writers say so. We can all agree that it will be an even better viewing experience when writers and producers of a show respect their fans with healthy, well thought out story developments instead of insulting their intelligence with nonsensical plotlines.

The Klingons from Star Trek is an example of how NOT to do it.

Ridges On My Forehead?!?! I Don't Need No Stinkin Ridges !!!

Comment

Give reasons based on what happened on the show, not just because the writers say so.
                    Indeed. And on the show, Hathor was killed and the Tollan wiped out.
                    Of course, the writers could always find ways to bring them back if they want to. My point was simply that as long as they don't actually do that, we have no real reason to assume these characters are anything but what the show has indicated: Eff'ing dead.

Comment

SPOILERS CONTAINED WITHIN

I never understood how Hathor escaped in the first episode she was in. I mean, wouldn't someone have noticed her going back through the Stargate, or trying to leave the base. It was both host and symbiote that survived, so I would think she wouldn't have been to hard to miss. In any case, there is little chance of her coming back, even if the host body survives the freezing, it was made clear the Goa'uld would not.

I beleive there were some hints about the Ashen coming back in S8 but I wonder what they'll be up to now. I think the Tollan have little chance of coming back, as much as I would love them to. They were isolationists and did not leave their planet very often. With their ships getting shot down and the Stargate having been blocked by an incoming wormhole, I highly doubt anyone survived and if any did, they were probably interogated and then killed. As far as the phase-shift goes, it looked like you had to point it at whatever you wanted to phase through. That would mean they would need to use multiple high-speed, turret-mounted, phase-shifting devices on their ships, tracking every single incoming weapon (I'd love to see the PID controller for that device!!) Since most of the weapons were energy based, it might not matter with phase shifting, we never saw an energy weapon fire at a phase object, did we?

I would like to know more about the Furlings (aren't they a species in WarCraft III.... anyway). All we ever saw was what looked like the remains of a Furling "paradise" where O'Neill and Maybourne were stranded on the orbiting moon. Not much has been said about them, but they were advanced enough to join the alliance, so they must have had some interesting technollogy or abillities.

Comment

Originally posted by VirtualCLD
                        I never understood how Hathor escaped in the first episode she was in. I mean, wouldn't someone have noticed her going back through the Stargate, or trying to leave the base.
                        IIRC, they did see her leaving through the stargate, as did we (the audience). It was just too late to stop her escape, especially with most of the base still under her control.

Comment

Originally posted by Ugly Pig
                          Personally, I doubt the Tollan will be brought back - but you can bet your butt that Hathor won't be. Apparantly, TPTB (which in this case includes even the cast) hated the character which is probably why they killed her off the first chance they got. So she won't be back anytime soon.
                          Really??? I didn't know this. Detalis, please.
                          "You're creepin' me out, Mc Kay." Carter

Comment

Originally posted by rihannsu
                            Really??? I didn't know this. Detalis, please.
                            I wish I could provide them, but I honestly don't remember where I read/heard it. I think there were several sources, actually. They did say that it was the character they didn't like though - nobody had any issues with Suanne Braun.

One specific quote that I do remember was that when Jack told Hathor that "I was so hoping never to see you again" in 'Out of Mind', RDA really meant it.

Comment

"" I was always confused about how the Ashen couldnt really use the gate. I mean, they used it to send grain etc. back to their home planet, yet couldnt figure out how to get to other planets?? I don't buy it. ""

"" They're so technologically advanced they can predict a solar flare, but they cant figure out the gate co-ordinates for different planets?? ""

The reason why the Ashen had not explored further the possibility of additional gate addresses is the same reason why the SGC also did not do so until after the hostile incursion by Apophis' forces in the SG-1 TV series premiere. Captain Carter had spent years studying the gate and trying without any success to randomly dial out to another functioning stargate besides the one they already knew of... Abydos. The conclusion that the SGC came to was that there were only 2 stargates... The one on Abydos and Earth's.

Apophis changed all that.

As far as we know, the stargate on the Volian homeworld maybe the only gate address known to the Ashen. Since the Ashen are not curious or explorers by nature, they would naturally not be inclined or interested in using up valuable time and resources in search possible, but unproven additional addresses.

The arrival of SG-1 changed all of that.

The Ashen became even more interested in stargate travel and acquiring addresses after SG-1 informed them that there are thousands of stargates in the galaxy and beyond.
                              By knowing this, you can bet that the Ashen are busily working hard to map out the stargate network. It doesn't hurt that they are using those ultra-powerful computers to number-crunch out all the possible addresses.
                              A rapidly expanding Ashen Confederacy is definitely not in Earth's best interest. Remember, in the "2010" episode, the Ashen wiped out all the Goa'uld... including the To'kra.

Comment

Actually, I beleive the reason why dialling random addresses didn't work was due to the stellar drift. To quote/paraphrase Carter:

"It took us years to "MacGuyver" a system to control the gate."

Their juryrigged system did NOT compensate for stellar drift as the native DHDs do. I forget the episode, but it was the DHD virus episode that we find out the DHDs are networked together and constantly update themselves to account for stellar drift.

Since the Ashen have a native DHD, trying random combinations would eventually lead to a new address discovery. Although, as you said, the Ashen are not outwardly agressive and they do take their time. Maybe they figured they would take their time before rushing off to discover as many adresses as possible.

Comment

Working...
                                X