This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New BIG Earth Ship Weapon

Anyone wanna hear my idea? Iv done the calculations and I think it would work very well...anyone wish to add to its or adjust a figure to make it more effective then plz tell me. I wont post specs until I see some interest so get posting.

http://www.savestargatesg-1.com
    Originally posted by Unnamed due to Risk of Offending person
    the processor of the gate thats what it is in plainsmen therm
    Strangest thing Iv read on the forum so far!

And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down, shall be laid low and made unto dust.

Proud member of the C.O.T.W.O.S.F.
    The Coalition Of Those Who Oppose Sci Fi (channel)

?
    "Yo, you wanna join SG-1?"

sigpic

Comment

And if it makes it more interesting its recoil would only displace the weapon by 0.5 of a metre which on a ship which could potentially use this weapon as a primary weapon (therefore being willing to apply the necessary anti-recoil devices) its not that much at all...better than the railguns anyways!

And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down, shall be laid low and made unto dust.

Comment

Well post it then, assuming you aren't BSing just for kicks, which seems unlikely.

Comment

Ill just wait for 5 different ppl to post, I did all the calculations while studying physics cos I was bored..............its sad how I was thinking of stargate instead of studying for my exams!

Comment

Ok 2, tis oculd have been posted about 16 other threads but for the benifit of your education ill hear you out - imagine im 10 ppl and tell us all!
            sigpic
            You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
            Stargate : Genesis |
            Original Starship DesignThread
            Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
            11000! green me

Comment

Ok I checked the figures a few times but I dont know much about RoF because they're teaching us physics not advanced weapon design, etc. If you have a projectile weapon of a mass of roughly 6 tons (6000kg...bear with me, I know it sounds big but listen to the power!) firing a 1 kg shell/projectile at 1500m per second then you would have a recoil of 0.5m (using the Law of the Conservation of Momentum). However this shell if just solid would cause pressure on the enemy hull of 1,500,000 Pascals (AKA 1,500,000 kg/m. Now I dont know much about Wraith ships armour density, Ori shield strength, etc or any of that but in my opinion that would be enough to completly slice through pretty much anything. If I made a mess of the pressure calcualtions plz correct me but the other calculations are defo correct....plus the 6000kg figure I just made up because it would pretty much destroy the recoil effect. And imagine if the shell was packed with a thermo-nuclear device designed to go off once it passed through a certain distance in the hull.

Comment

riight....well hate to say this but this is just the same theory as everyone on this forum has had for age..its basicly rail gunning nukes...1.5km/s is mach 5 the present speed of the rail guns...and weve all sadi we jsut have to increase the calibre.
                Just for the record if you had posted in the compendium, i could have told you that there instead of needing this thread to be opened..(just a thought for next time )
                sigpic
                You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                11000! green me

Comment

But with a few tweaks (I was hoping someone such as yourself could help with that) you could theoretically create a much more powerful weapon...for example Mach 10 (3000m/s) would simply increase the recoil to 1m...plus these weapons are in space so unless affected by gravity, etc by the mouth of Newton himself it could theoretically travel at that speed forever. Plus with the impact force Im talking you wouldnt really need a nuke, just a well placed shot on a power-core, etc...Jesus I really say "etc" alot.

Comment

yes i could but ive already done that in other threads...
                    sigpic
                    11000! green me

Comment

Ok I just read that however the round he suggests firing would destroy the ship firing it due to recoil. It'd be several hundred metres displacement.
                      Last edited by Harekin; 28 March 2006, 02:22 PM.

Comment

im gonna have to agree with Hare on this one sry immhotep

Comment

Originally posted by Ludofjn View Post
                          im gonna have to agree with Hare on this one sry immhotep
                          I don't see how there's any room to disagree with immhotep. This "new" weapon idea could have been posted in any other weapons thread.
                          All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Originally posted by Harekin View Post
                            Ok I checked the figures a few times but I dont know much about RoF because they're teaching us physics not advanced weapon design, etc. If you have a projectile weapon of a mass of roughly 6 tons (6000kg...bear with me, I know it sounds big but listen to the power!) firing a 1 kg shell/projectile at 1500m per second then you would have a recoil of 0.5m (using the Law of the Conservation of Momentum). However this shell if just solid would cause pressure on the enemy hull of 1,500,000 Pascals (AKA 1,500,000 kg/m. Now I dont know much about Wraith ships armour density, Ori shield strength, etc or any of that but in my opinion that would be enough to completly slice through pretty much anything.
                            I would like to correct your calculations.

Firstly you are correct in that the units of Pressure is the Pascal (Standard International Units). However a Pascal is equivalent to Newton per metre ^2.

To get into the derivation of this:

Pressure = Force divided by the Area.

Force = mass * acceleration = Newtons = kg * ms^(-2)

Area = unit^2 = m^2

Now if you divide the force by the area you should get the result of:

Pressure = kg / (m*s^2) = kg * m ^(-1) * s ^(-2) = [ie, kilograms divided by (metres * seconds squared)]

In other words your calculation for pressure is incorrect. I don't even know how you came to that figure anyway.

With just two known variables (velocity and mass) the only equation that I could think of would be kinetic energy. You would never be able to get a figure for Pressure using those variables. Pressure is a function of force. Force is a function of acceleration. A pressure concentration of 1,500,000 Pascals (1.5 MPa) is negligible in metals anyway. Structural steel is able to undergo a yield strength of approximately 250MPa, with an ultimate tensile strength of 400MPa. The shear strengths of the steel is similar to these values, and it is the shear strength that matters when taking into account the pressure distribution. Assuming that a Wraith Hive ship armour uses material more sturdy than any metals constructed by humans, then 1.5 MPa is nothing really.

Anyway, when you talk about the force of an object hitting another object at a constant velocity we talk about dynamic impacts. Pressure isn't considered in impacts (such as when a bullet hits a target) because pressure is really used for static loading or for two bodies in static equilibrium with each other.

The kinetic energy of such a projectile of 1kg travelling at 1,500 metres/second would be:

K.E. = 0.5*m*v^2 = 1,125,000 Joules = 1.125 MJ

I think this is the figure that you should be stating given the two variables that you had stated.

Comment

A nuke fired out of a railgun is something that's been around since I think the Prometheus came onto the show. I know it's something I've personally suggested in threads like this going back a year or more ago.

Assuming that a Wraith Hive ship armour uses material more sturdy than any metals constructed by humans, then 1.5 MPa is nothing really.
                              I'd say that's a fairly safe assumption given that it's 11km long and lands and takes off while buried underground without damaging itself. Not many people appreciate the sort of materials strength necessary to even build something of that scale, let alone fly it around, but I'd imagine from your post here that you're one of the rare few.

Comment

Working...
                              X