This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best emotive acting style from a Sci Fi actor

So, I'm sitting watching Tracy Scoggins in Season 5 of Babylon 5 and I'm thinking. She's quite a knockout. Why doesn't she connect? What is wrong with her as an actor? Then I thought back to what Bruce Lee said was the key to great Kung Fu: emotional content. I give Scoggins a low 5 on a ten point scale for emotional content. Claudia Christian (Ivanova) on the other hand is near or at the top. Amanda Tapping may be the top one I can think of.

So , here's the poll question. What Sci Fi actor, male or female, is, in your opinion the ONE who is the absolute best at creating an emotional connection with the viewer.

Please stick with Science fiction .....

I thought Rainbow Sun Francks did an amazing job in "Runner" when he was talking with Rodney about how he was all alone and felt abandoned. Coupled with his portrayal of the mental instability caused by the enzyme made for a very well-done emotive performance.

Rainbow gets my vote.
    Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Nana Visitor as Kira Nerys
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Colm Meaney as Chief O'Brien.

In all those episodes, i felt like i was part of his amazing banter with Bashir. On top of that i really sympathised with him in that episode (can't remember the name) where he gets the memories of 40 years in jail and he struggles with life back on the station. Maybe it was just the way he was the "ordinary guy" that allowed the viewer to associate with him but he seemed a lot more real than a lot of other characters out there...

The center of Khlysty surrounds me

Comment

Originally posted by Anubis69
          Colm Meaney as Chief O'Brien.

In all those episodes, i felt like i was part of his amazing banter with Bashir. On top of that i really sympathised with him in that episode (can't remember the name) where he gets the memories of 40 years in jail and he struggles with life back on the station. Maybe it was just the way he was the "ordinary guy" that allowed the viewer to associate with him but he seemed a lot more real than a lot of other characters out there...
          "Hard Time"
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

David Duchovny in the X-Files --ha, ha, little joke there.

Actually, I'm going to go with Michael Shanks. He really gets into being crazy. And that scene between Daniel and Jack in Need really gets me. I would think actors would be embarrassed to emote that much. (I guess that's why I'm not an actor!)

Comment

I'd go with Michael Shanks from SG-1 too. Just look at his performances in "Legacy", or "Lifeboat".
              sigpic
              MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
              "...phu...ah..."
              "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
              Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I'm not sure about best, but my vote for worst gose to Kate Mulgrew's Captain Janeway. Far too dramatic, more like like stage acting then screen acting - in other worrds; over the top emotions where they aren't needed.
                I am both Pro-Keller and Pro-Beckett. No amount of Hail Mary's will save my soul from hell.

Comment

I mainly favour the tragic type of characters for emotive acting.

- Londo Mollari of Babylon 5
                  I think it's mostly just in one season where we get to see how emotional Londo can be but I can't remember since it's been over 5 years since I've last seen it.

- Elim Garak
                  One episode in particular. I think the episode's called Wire and it's from DS9 Season 2. It's the episode where we learn a bit about Garak's history. I can't remember any other details since I haven't seen that in a while too. All I remember is that that was the episode that got me to liking the character me than anyone in the regular cast 'cause it gave the character of Garak more depth.

- Grammaton John Cleric/Christian Bale in the movie 'Equilibrium' (not sure if that's the correct name)
                  Throughout the movie when he pretends that he's taken his interval, I think he does a good job of showing his struggles for trying to suppress his emotions.

- Spike (sorry, I know it's Fantasy but I think it's worth mentioning)
                  Most people considered him pathetic when he was lovesick over Buffy but I didn't. I've seen friends trying to get over heartbreaks and James Marsters did a good job of reminding me of the hard times some of my friends went through.

Comment

Originally posted by Insipid
                    I'm not sure about best, but my vote for worst gose to Kate Mulgrew's Captain Janeway. Far too dramatic, more like like stage acting then screen acting - in other worrds; over the top emotions where they aren't needed.
                    That was a common fault among most Trek actors. Very stagey, very stiff. The only one who could really get away with it was Patrick Stewart, but that's because he rules. He can act rings around Shatner on his worst day.

I must speak on behalf of the Crown Prince of Character Actors, Ron Perlman. The man is able to project emotions through complex prosthetics better than anyone on the planet. It's one thing to put on makeup and be this outlandish character. It's quite another to make an audience believe that that outlandish character is a complex and realistic person. For Hellboy alone he deserves recognition.
                    Through Life's dull road, so dim and dirty
                    I have dragged to three-and-thirty.
                    What have these years left to me?
                    Nothing, except thirty-three.

- Lord Byron

Dispatches From the Suburbs of Hell

The Pit

Comment

Christopher Ecclestone has some of the best emotive acting in Doctor Who. Particularly in the Episode Dalek.
                      Michael Shanks has some of the best acting aswell particually in Lifeboat, Legacy, and of course Absoloute Power.
                      and there are many more actors who have such great emotive acting that I cant think of at the moment off the top of my head. Mainly including most of the SG-1 cast altogether.
                      Oh Yes the Sam is Back and hes more Sci-fied up than ever !!!!!!!!!

Coming Soon a new Banner from Me

Comment

Originally posted by Metarock Sam
                        Christopher Ecclestone has some of the best emotive acting in Doctor Who. Particularly in the Episode Dalek.
                        Agreed. He's one I forgot to mention. And Patrick Stewart is one I'd add to the list as well.

Comment

Amanda Tapping and David Hewlett to me are brilliant emotive actors. Both can say so much without even words and using just facial expressions. You can really connect with Mckay because you can always see the uncertanties and his feelings under the surface and Amanda is great at using her eyes to really make you feel for the character. I think Teryl Rothery, Alison Hannigan, Amber Benson and Claudia Christian are great at it too.

Luce xxx

Comment

I've given it some thought and I've got to toss my hat in with Alexander Siddig's Dr. Julian Bashir on Star Trek: Deep Space Nine.

The way his character went from an annoying sidekick-like character into a character with depth, arguably the most depth in all of the characters on DS9 save Odo.

When he finds out that his “big secret” is out and his mourning over Jadzia are some of the best acted scenes in all of Star Trek, in my opinion.

I may be a little biased ‘cos Bashir’s the character I identify with the most on Star Trek.
                            I am both Pro-Keller and Pro-Beckett. No amount of Hail Mary's will save my soul from hell.

Comment

David Hewlett in anything is phenomenal at the emotive/non-verbal acting. His expressions alone can convey so much... he's an absolute joy to watch.

I think Corin Nemec is good at that stuff, too, particularly as Jonas. It's one of the reasons I liked the character so much. Just a simple look conveyed so much more than mere words ever could- and at time his non-verbal cues belied his dialogue, which made it even better.

Comment

Working...
                              X