X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The end of Chevron guy? (spoilers)

Yo here's a thought I think it would be cool if we had one of those sweet

SPOILERS:

ancient dialing up things in the SGC coz a) because it looks cool b) its just much more practical and c) well this isn't a reason actually wouldn't it be better security wise; maybe you could program it to recognize somebody's fingerprints/iris/....
    and d) it would be quicker....

sadly though it would be the end of chevron guy....
    what do you guys think?
    Jackson: Hathor was the Egyptian goddess of fertility, inebriety, and music.
    O'Neill: Sex, drugs, and rock and roll?

By "ancient dialing up things" do you mean a DHD or the Atlantis Dialer. If you are talking about the Atlantis Dialer... it wouldn't work the symbols aren't right. Even if we had a normal DHD the symbols wouldn't match up either because the DHD's have the PoO built in. I wouldn't want one because the ring doesn't spin if a DHD is attached (in all off-world scenes) I love when it spins.

Comment

Originally posted by Selmak
      Even if we had a normal DHD the symbols wouldn't match up either because the DHD's have the PoO built in.
      Says who?

There have been a plethora of examples where the seventh chevron has been dialed (Solitudes and Gamekeeper come to mind), and I suspect that it's a lack of budget that prevents us from seeing more "unique" DHD's, and not the fact that DHD's are coded to specific 'gates. One very obvious budget restriction example has always been the PoO for the Stargate, post-Nemesis, pre-Revelations (the Antarctic 'gate) - while the SGC gate should have had the "circle with a line under it PoO," the "pyramid" glyph was still prevalent, because I suspect that they didn't want to/couldn't modify the rotating 'gate prop.

In fact, your theory is debunked by "48 Hours" - the SGC purchased the Russian DHD (which came from Giza) to free Teal'c from the memory buffer of their Stargate (which came from Antarctica).

In a previous thread, I asserted my belief that Stargates (and their respective DHD's) can be moved from planet to planet and interchanged with no operational consequence. In addition, I asserted that the PoO mechanism is the exact same on every 'gate; that is, only what's etched on the outside of the glyph changes - kind of like a "serial number" for tracking purposes.
      "So are we taking your car or mine, or am I just gonna follow you?"
      Daniel Jackson - "Affinity"

Comment

First off, Stargate Command obviously prefers the dialing computer over anything else. Otherwise the computer would have been replaced long before now.

Second, we don't know enough about the Ancient Dialing Devices on Atlantis to know whether or not they'd work if you shifted them around.

Third, how the hell would they get it back to Stargate Command? In one piece?

Fourth, the ADDs don't dial themselves. You'd still need someone to punch in the sequence. And there are still chevrons on the gate, so he'd still be Chevron Guy.

Fifth, why the hell are you trying to get rid of Wally??

Comment

Originally posted by wilhelmganon
          Says who?

There have been a plethora of examples where the seventh chevron has been dialed (Solitudes and Gamekeeper come to mind), and I suspect that it's a lack of budget that prevents us from seeing more "unique" DHD's, and not the fact that DHD's are coded to specific 'gates. One very obvious budget restriction example has always been the PoO for the Stargate, post-Nemesis, pre-Revelations (the Antarctic 'gate) - while the SGC gate should have had the "circle with a line under it PoO," the "pyramid" glyph was still prevalent, because I suspect that they didn't want to/couldn't modify the rotating 'gate prop.

In fact, your theory is debunked by "48 Hours" - the SGC purchased the Russian DHD (which came from Giza) to free Teal'c from the memory buffer of their Stargate (which came from Antarctica).

In a previous thread, I asserted my belief that Stargates (and their respective DHD's) can be moved from planet to planet and interchanged with no operational consequence. In addition, I asserted that the PoO mechanism is the exact same on every 'gate; that is, only what's etched on the outside of the glyph changes - kind of like a "serial number" for tracking purposes.
          Most of the time you can clearly see 7 symbols dialed... and even in some you can see a PoO on the DHD... It doesn't make much sense but that's how it works.

Comment

Originally posted by Selmak
            Most of the time you can clearly see 7 symbols dialed... and even in some you can see a PoO on the DHD... It doesn't make much sense but that's how it works.
            Exactly - what I'm saying is, the only difference between the PoO glyphs on each DHD/Stargate is only as deep as the drawing etched on the ring. You could use the DHD from, say, the "Gatekeeper" planet, hit the squiggly-cone-looking PoO glyph button, and it will still activate the PoO glyph on any Stargate.

Comment

I wouldn't want one because the ring doesn't spin if a DHD is attached (in all off-world scenes) I love when it spins.
              Heh heh, me too. That's another thing, with the Pegasus style Digi-gates you can't manually dial out if the DHD is lost.
              This post brought to you by Snackey-Smores.

Comment

Things could have been much simpler letting SG-A share knowledge with SGC. They do not want to mix SG-A with SG-1, hence the spin off.

"ARRRG! My dry cleaning bill this month is over $10,000!"

Comment

Originally posted by Pdixie
                  Heh heh, me too. That's another thing, with the Pegasus style Digi-gates you can't manually dial out if the DHD is lost.
                  We don't know that yet...

Comment

Originally posted by VirtualCLD
                    We don't know that yet...
                    I think it'd be *possible* to dial the Atlantis 'gate without its original dialing device, but I don't think it'd be as easy as the Version 1.0 gates; that is, connecting a car battery, waiting for the rings to soak up enough juice, and then rotating the inner ring as desired.

At the very least, the Atlantis 'gate would require more energy and some sort of computerized interface - some progress, clearly, has been made in Ancient <-> Human technology interface (Avenger 2.0, etc.).

I would like to see that the Ancients equipped the Atlantis 'gate with some sort of interface panel built into the 'gate itself, in case such manual dialing is required.

Comment

hopefully they built like a little keyboard that coems out of the side with the symbols when u press the side of the gate in an emergancy situation like if the dhd was destroyed.
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGgHAXalVyM

"And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down shall be laid low and made onto dust." Then Shall Fall Scifi!

If you don't worship Metonic... your parents won't love you anymore.. well they dont now...

Comment

O.o I didn't understand most of your comment, but in Atlantis, there is no need for a chevron guy. Especially considering they have a DHD now and not a dialing computer.

Comment

they still need some one to press the butttons

"And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down shall be laid low and made onto dust." Then Shall Fall Scifi!

If you don't worship Metonic... your parents won't love you anymore.. well they dont now...

Comment

There's that dude that does it.

Comment

Thats the same as havin a chevron guy the only diffrence is they dont go cheveron 1 encoded, they still do his job.

Comment

Working...
                              X