Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Semi-OT (HP) post - How would the Stargate characters be Sorted?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Semi-OT (HP) post - How would the Stargate characters be Sorted?

How do you think the Sorting Hat would sort the main characters? (I'm just going to do the traditional SG-1 team; feel free to do others).

First of all, I should probably include the caveat that, no matter how much JKR implies to the contrary, I refuse to believe that the Sorting Hat looks into the heads of 11-year-old children, sees evil there, and puts them in Slytherin. Evil is not a defining Slytherin characteristic. The stated Slytherin characteristics are ambition and cunning. That's all.

A bit more murky is the question of just how the Sorting Hat chooses a house. That is, does it choose primarily based on a person's attributes (I am smart and analytical, therefore I belong in Ravenclaw), or does it sort primarily based on a person's values (I think intelligence and the pursuit of knowledge are the most important things in this world, therefore I belong in Ravenclaw)? There is a difference, and unfortunately it's a bit unclear. The fact that Harry and Hermione were able to choose Gryffindor, as well as Dumbledore's speeches at the end of CoS and GoF, imply that a person's sorted based on their values. OTOH, every Sorting Hat song has implied that a person is sorted based on their attributes. I personally believe it's a person's values that are the main deciding factor.

Assuming that a person is sorted based on their values, here's how I think the traditional SG-1 team would be sorted:
    • Jack and Teal'c are both Gryffindor. A lot. Jack might have a little Hufflepuff sway (he values loyalty a lot), but by and large, they're both Gryffindor.
    • Sam and Daniel are both a toss-up between Gryffindor and Ravenclaw. Actually, check that. Sam's a Ravenclaw, Daniel's a toss-up. They both value courage, integrity, and knowledge - a lot. Sam, however, leans a bit more towards, "knowledge," while Daniel seems to have the primary value of "integrity," which is both a Ravenclaw and a Gryffindor value.

And here's assuming that a person is sorted based on their attributes:
    • Teal'c is still definitely a Gryffindor.
    • Jack, OTOH, is more of a toss-up between Slytherin, Gryffindor, and Hufflepuff. He possesses Slytherin cunning, Gryffindor bravery, and Hufflepuff loyalty, in just about equal measure.
    • Daniel... is still a toss-up between Ravenclaw and Gryffindor. Although he does lean a little more towards Ravenclaw this time. It depends on whether you consider his main defining attribute to be his intelligence and his joy of discovery, or his tendency towards self-sacrifice in the interest of doing the right thing.
    • Sam is definitely a Ravenclaw. She possessed Slytherin ambition, Hufflepuff loyalty, and Gryffindor bravery, but it's really her intelligence and her joy at discovery that are her defining attributes.

That's all. Any contrary opinions, discussion of opinions, or opinions on other characters, are welcome.

(P.S. This post is prompted by an odd dream I had last night, where I found a book co-authored by someone I've never heard of, and Janet Frasier. The back cover of the book had an Impressionistic background, and the words, "Dr. Frasier is definitely a Slytherin." In the dream, I disagreed with the imaginary book. Not really sure what that says about me.)
    Last edited by Katerine; 25 March 2006, 11:04 AM.

Many thanks to blingaway for the sig pic.

I'll do a couple more, mostly to bump this, since it's a new thread and it stayed on the first page for all of about an hour and a half.

Ok. Well, since Janet started this thing, I should probably do her:

We don't actually know Janet all that well. We've pretty much only seen her being the doctor. And a mother. Which isn't exactly a lot to go on.

If I had to pick one thing, I'd say Hufflepuff. She's always valued people very highly, and humanism (as a way of life, not as an ideology) strikes me as a Hufflepuff trait. She also shows some Gryffindor traits (I'm sensing a trend. Anybody else sensing a trend?) - her no-nonsense attitude reminds me of McGonagall, and she's always been willing to brave dangerous situations in order to help her patients.

Mitchell is... Gryffindor. Everyone is Gryffindor. This is why the show needs a Vala.

Do I even need to talk about Vala?

Anyone else? Am I the only fan of both Harry Potter and Stargate here?

Comment

Originally posted by Katerine
      Anyone else? Am I the only fan of both Harry Potter and Stargate here?

Definately not the only double fan!!

Atlantis Sorting: (Sg-1 Seems to be taken care of )

Sheppard -

"You belong in Gryffindor,
      where dwell the brave at heart,
      Their daring, nerve and chivalry
      set Gryffindors apart."

Weir -

"Here in wise old Ravenclaw,
      if you've a ready mind,
      Those of wit and learning
      will always find their kind."

Teyla -

"You belong in Gryffindor,
      where dwell the brave at heart,
      Their daring, nerve and chivalry
      set Gryffindors apart."

McKay -

"You belong in Hufflepuff,
      where they are just and loyal,
      Those patient Hufflepuffs are
      true and unafraid to toil."

Ronan -

"Here you are in Slytherin where
      you'll make your real friends,
      Those cunning folk use any means
      to achieve their ends."

Kavanaugh -

"Here you are in Slytherin where
      you'll make your real friends,
      Those cunning folk use any means
      to achieve their ends."

Comment

This was harder than I thought! Here's my sorting...

Jack -Gryffindor. He is always brave and never shows any fear when he is faceing the bad guys. He also cares a lot about his team and will do anything to protect them and Earth. I see some Harry in him. I see what you are saying about Slytherin though. He does go to any means to complete a mission sometimes.

Teal's -Gryffindor. Bravery and daring definitely describe Teal'c. He is fighting to free his people and have you ever seen Teal'c run from danger? Never. Bravery seems like it is a Jaffa requirement.

Sam -Ravenclaw. She spends most of her time learning new things and gets so much enjoyment out of it. She would rather spend her free time figuring out some new alien device than taking a vacation or going fishing with Jack.

Daniel -He loves learning too, but I would put him in Hufflepuff. He cares about all the people they meet on other planets and is always getting the team to do the right and just thing. He is loyal to his friends and is always willing to help people, like Chaka (sp?), even though he hardly knows them .

Jonas-Hufflepuff again. Like Daniel, he is the conscience of the team and is always concerned about helping and doing the right thing.

Walter-Hufflepuff! He is the most loyal guy at the SGC. Always there to dial the gate and greet the teams. Go Walter!

Any ideas about Hammond??
        I'll post the SGA team later.
        Sig by Cazzblade

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to think about these, 4prettierships and Spectrum!

4prettierships: Nice graphics!

McKay's a Hufflepuff? I'll take your word for it; I've only had a chance to see the first few eps of S1 of Atlantis, and of course the eps McKay was in in SG1, but in those, he struck me as more of a Ravenclaw. Or even a Slytherin. He had that kind of self-centered attitude and driving ambition.

Originally posted by Spectrum
          This was harder than I thought! Here's my sorting...

Jack -Gryffindor. He is always brave and never shows any fear when he is faceing the bad guys. He also cares a lot about his team and will do anything to protect them and Earth. I see some Harry in him. I see what you are saying about Slytherin though. He does go to any means to complete a mission sometimes.

Teal's -Gryffindor. Bravery and daring definitely describe Teal'c. He is fighting to free his people and have you ever seen Teal'c run from danger? Never. Bravery seems like it is a Jaffa requirement.

Sam -Ravenclaw. She spends most of her time learning new things and gets so much enjoyment out of it. She would rather spend her free time figuring out some new alien device than taking a vacation or going fishing with Jack.
          No argument here, I agree completely, and thanks for your explanation of Teal'c (I'd felt that Teal'c was so self-explanatory that I literally couldn't explain why I felt that way!).

Daniel -He loves learning too, but I would put him in Hufflepuff. He cares about all the people they meet on other planets and is always getting the team to do the right and just thing. He is loyal to his friends and is always willing to help people, like Chaka (sp?), even though he hardly knows them .
          I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one. Daniel's interested in people, sure, like a Ravenclaw, but he wants to help them because he believes it's the right thing to do, and because he believes in the value of communication. Those are ideals. The way I've understood it, Hufflepuffs are loyal to people, not ideals.

In this respect, Daniel is very, very, very much a Gryffindor (although I think he'd probably choose Ravenclaw over Gryffindor). It's really Gryffindors who are loyal to ideals, who think in terms of "what's right" and "what's fair."

Actually, of all of the SG characters, Daniel is the one in whom I see Harry the most (Jack reminds me more of... Sirius, with maybe a little Arthur Weasley and Mad-Eye Moody in the mix), because he doesn't sacrifice his ideals for anybody. See Thor's Hammer, Scorched Earth, The Other Side, Menace, and all of S9, just to provide a few examples. Daniel's the one who will tell the truth, even if it's unpopular and unwanted. He's the one who'll speak out and act against injustice and deception, even if it costs him his friends or his life. These are very much Gryffindor traits.

Jonas-Hufflepuff again. Like Daniel, he is the conscience of the team and is always concerned about helping and doing the right thing.
          This I can see - Jonas being a Hufflepuff, I mean. However, I've never seen Jonas as the "conscience" of the team, because I don't recall him ever being the voice of ethics. Although I don't think he ever had the chance in S6 - I could be wrong, but I think that by the time S6 rolled around, the team didn't much need a conscience - they all had a little Daniel whispering in the backs of their minds (probably not literally).

Jonas, though, does strike me as someone who is loyal to the people he cares about, first and foremost. Which, again, is somewhat different from being loyal, first and foremost, to doing the right thing. So, yes - I can definitely see Jonas as a Hufflepuff.

Walter-Hufflepuff! He is the most loyal guy at the SGC. Always there to dial the gate and greet the teams. Go Walter!
          I can definitely see this.

Any ideas about Hammond??
          Gryffindor again. Stargate is full of Gryffindors. Even the Ravenclaws and Hufflepuffs are just marginally not Gryffindor. What we really need is a good Slytherin, if only to provide a contrast. That's why I loved Vala being on the show so much.
          Last edited by Katerine; 26 March 2006, 05:59 AM.

Comment

It looks like you have Atlantis covered 4ps! I was thinking the same thing for Shep, Weir, and Teyla. I'd have to say that McKay would be Ravenclaw with Slytherin tendencies though. Smart, but self-centered at times. McKay is so great though! I'm not sure where I'd put Ronon, he is a tough one to sort. Nice one with Kavanaugh! Yep, that's were I'd put him too.

Katerine, you're right that all of them could be Gryffindors, but I guess they need to have those traits to go through the gate and face everthing that they do everyday! Gryffindor and Raverclaw are the two easier ones to sort in my opinion becuase the characteristics are a little more clear. Hufflepuff and Slytherin get a little more difficult and vague.
            Sig by Cazzblade

Comment

Originally posted by Katerine
              Thanks for taking the time to think about these, 4prettierships and Spectrum!

4prettierships: Nice graphics!

McKay's a Hufflepuff? I'll take your word for it; I've only had a chance to see the first few eps of S1 of Atlantis, and of course the eps McKay was in in SG1, but in those, he struck me as more of a Ravenclaw. Or even a Slytherin. He had that kind of self-centered attitude and driving ambition.

Thanks! I put McKay as a Hufflepuff because he seems that he always does the "right thing" even though he thinks that he is the only one capable of doing anything on Atlantis. However, if anyone asks him to do anything, he will always do it, for fear of obeying someone of higher power than him, I don't know, but through all the complaining he always gets it done. I think he is just putting on a show because of his mildly cocky nature. I think deep down at heart he is a Hufflepuff, and afraid to show it!

Comment

Well Potter/Gater fans... It seems as if we've exhauseted the ideas in this thread so I propose we change it to "what if the stargate charachters were in Harry Potter"! Good? Bad? Ugly? I hate to see this thread die after 6 replies!!

Otherwise you guys should keep discussing how they should all be s
                orted

Comment

I'll keep this thread alive for one more post, but only to say I don't like Harry Potter very much. Sorry.
                  sigpic
                  "Ce qui ressemble a l'amour est toujours de l'amour." - Tristan Bernard

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Ivanova
                    I'll keep this thread alive for one more post, but only to say I don't like Harry Potter very much. Sorry.
                    Wow, tough crowd!! Thats alright though... I'm sure all of the fans are just sleeping.... what am I saying, it's a lost cause

Comment

Working...
                    X