This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The best episodes?

I own Seasons 1 and 2.0. My friends (who are not huge fans of sci-fi, but enjoy what they've seen of Stargate) are coming over, and I want to show them a Battlestar episode, but I'm not sure which one. They know the general idea of the plot, so I don't really want to start with the mini series (which wasn't my favorite). I'm thinking Pegasus. Which epi would you guys suggest?

"The Hand Of God"

They don't need to know prior plot details to really get "into" the episode, also it has a good mix of action and drama to suit people

For BSG, Stargate eps and discussion visit TheBestTrek

Comment

"Hand of God" or "Tigh Me Up, Tigh Me Down."

The former for the reasons lordmutt said, the latter for the comedy. If you're going to pick a S2 episode, I'd probably pick "Flight of the Phoenix," so as to conceal as many spoilers as possible.
      Words to live by: "When in doubt, shoot at the guy yelling 'Kree!'."

Let's try this again: Spoiler-free 'til Season 4.5.

EJO on the blooper reel: "I hope you like it... or I'll SQUASH YOUR NUTS."

Spoiler:
      sigpic

Comment

My favorite BSG episode was "Hand of God." Captain Apollo
        demonstrated he had the "right stuff" to execute the attack
        raid on the Cylon tyllium facility. For once, a "male" character
        was shown to be a "strong" leader & it was refreshing that
        the story wasn't "Starbuck-centric" for a change. My next
        favorite was "Tigh Me Up, Tigh Me Down;" a close second.
        Even though Tigh made a couple of bad calls, he made it
        absolutely clear to the BSG crew that it was the "old man's"
        command.

Comment

I'd nominate "Resurection Ship", because accidentally catching the assassination orders scene (with cuts between Adama and Cain), was what made me first want to start watching BSG.

Comment

"33" Reserection Ship I & II, and Captains Hand.
            Admiral Adama once had a bachelor party for Colonel Tigh. He ate the entire cake before Adama could tell him there was a stripper in it.

Comment

Originally posted by titans
              "33" Reserection Ship I & II, and Captains Hand.
              Replace Resurrection Ship with Pegasus. I've only seen the two parter once, but I gotta say it didn't impress me as much as the others.

Comment

As much as I loved "Pegasus" (I think it's been my favorite episode thus far) I would recommend against showing it as a first time viewing. It's fantastic, but you really need to be invested in the show and know what's going on to feel the full effect of the drama. I'd also advise against "Tigh Me Up, Tigh Me Down". I'm a huge BSG fan and I can barely stomach that episode. You don't want to turn them off the show on your first shot.

For a first time, I'd go for either "33", "Water", or "Flesh and Bone."
                "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by K07
                  Replace Resurrection Ship with Pegasus. I've only seen the two parter once, but I gotta say it didn't impress me as much as the others.
                  Thank you, I thought I was the only one.
                  "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by jonas_fan
                    I own Seasons 1 and 2.0. My friends (who are not huge fans of sci-fi, but enjoy what they've seen of Stargate) are coming over, and I want to show them a Battlestar episode, but I'm not sure which one. They know the general idea of the plot, so I don't really want to start with the mini series (which wasn't my favorite). I'm thinking Pegasus. Which epi would you guys suggest?
                    I'd say '33' - I've found you really need to start from the beginning with BSG, because it's a lot more arc-based in the storytelling and character-focused than your standard SF show. 'Pegasus' is great, but you get a lot more out of it if you know a bit about, say, the relationships and characters who have their worlds turned upside down and inside out by Helena Cain.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid
                      I'd also advise against "Tigh Me Up, Tigh Me Down". I'm a huge BSG fan and I can barely stomach that episode. You don't want to turn them off the show on your first shot.
                      Oh, come on I didn't think it was that bad - then again, I seem to be the only BSG fan who actually likes Saul and Ellen Tigh. But, again, I think it's another show that makes a lot more sense in the context of Tigh, Adama and the relationship the two have.

Comment

The Hand Of God
                        sigpic
                        Many thanks to geekywraith for the wonderful sig

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Ranapia
                          Oh, come on I didn't think it was that bad - then again, I seem to be the only BSG fan who actually likes Saul and Ellen Tigh. But, again, I think it's another show that makes a lot more sense in the context of Tigh, Adama and the relationship the two have.
                          I'm sorry, I wasn't clear enough and that's really my fault... How I meant that was that I found myself very much sympathetic with the Adamas and Roslin at the dinner party: awkward, uncomfortable, and wanting to find the best way possible to avoid the situation entirely. I suppose empathy with the characters is the hallmark of a well-written episode, but the guy is trying to draw in potential new viewers and I'm not sure that's the first vibe of the show they should get (if they're ever to watch again).

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid
                            I suppose empathy with the characters is the hallmark of a well-written episode, but the guy is trying to draw in potential new viewers and I'm not sure that's the first vibe of the show they should get (if they're ever to watch again).
                            That's a very fair observation and I think you're right. Without the context of what we've seen of Tigh - his severely fracked up relationships with Adama, Ellen and alcohol - that whole dinner party scene is flat out sleazy, rather than uncomfortably insightful. Not exactly the best initiation for a BSG virgin, though it's an episode I like more than many fans seem to. Call me naive, but I'd like to think that they weren't always like this. Perhaps, the 'missing year' let them re-discover why they fell in love with each other in the first place, or at least deal with the reality of their marriage without using booze and/or screwing around to dull the pain and wound each other. I'd like to see that.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Ranapia
                              You're definitely not the only one who likes the family Tigh, because I adore them. Sure, Ellen's a bit... sleazy doesn't quite do it... but she's not absolutely evil. I, for the most part, find her extraordinarily amusing, and moreso her relationship with her husband. I think "The Final Cut" went quite a distance in showing that they genuinely care for each other, despite - and possibly because of - the manipulation games they play.

So I like the Tighs and I like "TMU,TMD." I would show this episode to someone, and probably in conjunction with the rest of the disc. S1-D4 (season 1, disc 4) is my absolute favourite DVD of the show, and that would be the disc I would show someone who hadn't seen the show and didn't want to watch the whole thing right away.
                              Words to live by: "When in doubt, shoot at the guy yelling 'Kree!'."

Let's try this again: Spoiler-free 'til Season 4.5.

EJO on the blooper reel: "I hope you like it... or I'll SQUASH YOUR NUTS."

Spoiler:
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X