This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate Season 9 will be like Star Trek Deep Space 9, I bet you $$$

When Deep Space 9 first came out, fans of Star Trek complained a lot - some liked it, but a lot didn't. I remember watching DS9 and going "this show is pretty darn good! Why don't people like it as much?"

The answer was (I believe) the fact that DS9 was set on a space station, and Star Trek fans were used to spaceships. But what was interesting was that people got used to DS9, and when DS9 entered syndication, the same people re-watched a show they thought was "average" and suddenly went "Wow! This is awesome!" A lot of fans opinions changed on DS9 when they re-watched it and saw that there was a storyline running under the entire series (the Dominion War).

In my opinion, Season 9 is like DS9. Right now people are not used to it, its different. The main character is different. The storylines have been different. Some people don't like this.

I may be wrong, but I feel that down the road, the same thing that happened to DS9 is going to happen with Stargate from season 9 and on. People are going to watch it in syndication, on DVD, and go "Huh. This show actually is better a second time through! Its got a good storyline that underlines the whole season(s)."

Anyway, that's my take on the "new" Stargate.

You are a smart person.
    Thumbs up.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Shiva
      And it's a good view of it, IMO. Of course, I was one of those who enjoyed DS9 from the very beginning. And season 9 of SG-1, I freaking loved it.
      sigpic
      MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
      "...phu...ah..."
      "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
      Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I haven't seen DS9, but I can see exactly what you're saying here. Season nine is the season that might far more readily get people hooked the second time round, I loved it from the beginning, I think it's everthing the franchise needed and I can't wait for season ten. And I think season nine is like a magnet for new viewers- I'd have to say it's more likely to draw someone into watching the show for the first time at this point then season one. And if the end of Camelot can't get you hooked, I don't know what can.....

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42
          And if the end of Camelot can't get you hooked, I don't know what can.....
          Excellent point. That ending was spectacular.
          sigpic
          "...phu...ah..."

Comment

The first few seasons of DS9 were pretty slow, but with the excellent character development, the wide variety of story lines, and all the action made it a great show, in my opinion the best of all the treks.

Comment

When Deep Space 9 first came out, fans of Star Trek complained a lot - some liked it, but a lot didn't. I remember watching DS9 and going "this show is pretty darn good! Why don't people like it as much?"

The answer was (I believe) the fact that DS9 was set on a space station, and Star Trek fans were used to spaceships. But what was interesting was that people got used to DS9, and when DS9 entered syndication, the same people re-watched a show they thought was "average" and suddenly went "Wow! This is awesome!" A lot of fans opinions changed on DS9 when they re-watched it and saw that there was a storyline running under the entire series (the Dominion War).

In my opinion, Season 9 is like DS9. Right now people are not used to it, its different. The main character is different. The storylines have been different. Some people don't like this.

I may be wrong, but I feel that down the road, the same thing that happened to DS9 is going to happen with Stargate from season 9 and on. People are going to watch it in syndication, on DVD, and go "Huh. This show actually is better a second time through! Its got a good storyline that underlines the whole season(s)."

TPTB intended for Season 9 of SG-1 to be the Season 1 of Stargate Command (Sci Fi thought otherwise - I'm glad), maybe TPTB intended for Stargate Command to be the Stargate equivalent for Star Trek's DS9.
              Maybe for 7 years in a row (not a bad thing) or at least 5, if the Sci Fi Channel won't fall for the fake issue of Stargate fatigue (10 years are more than anything in sci fi shows history, except Dr Who, but he doesn't count here, there were different times) we can all expect 8+5(at least)seasons or even 8+7 seasons. And if TPTB pull this one with the Ori (I hope they do ) the Stargate franchise will make history by breaking the changing-the-main-story barrier in a sci fi show, after breaking the 9 seasons barrier set by The X-Files (and number of episodes).
              Besides the character changes the way I see Stargate in the new Ori light is a show with at least 2 chapters:
              Chapter 1: The Goa'uld
              Chapter 2: The Ori
              Chapter 3:....remains to be seen if they manage to do Chapter 2.
              And if Chapter 3 proves to have the same success as the previous ones, then... Stargate SG-1 could go as long as The Young and the Restless (the only series I know to have more than 30 seasons so far), a soap-opera though - bleah - but I think the sci fi fans are entitled too to have a long lasting show like the soap-opera ones.
              School is overrated.

Comment

Originally posted by The Engineer
                TPTB intended for Season 9 of SG-1 to be the Season 1 of Stargate Command (Sci Fi thought otherwise - I'm glad), maybe TPTB intended for Stargate Command to be the Stargate equivalent for Star Trek's DS9.
                Maybe for 7 years in a row (not a bad thing) or at least 5, if the Sci Fi Channel won't fall for the fake issue of Stargate fatigue (10 years are more than anything in sci fi shows history, except Dr Who, but he doesn't count here, there were different times) we can all expect 8+5(at least)seasons or even 8+7 seasons. And if TPTB pull this one with the Ori (I hope they do ) the Stargate franchise will make history by breaking the changing-the-main-story barrier in a sci fi show, after breaking the 9 seasons barrier set by The X-Files (and number of episodes).
                Besides the character changes the way I see Stargate in the new Ori light is a show with at least 2 chapters:
                Chapter 1: The Goa'uld
                Chapter 2: The Ori
                Chapter 3:....remains to be seen if they manage to do Chapter 2.
                And if Chapter 3 proves to have the same success as the previous ones, then... Stargate SG-1 could go as long as The Young and the Restless (the only series I know to have more than 30 seasons so far), a soap-opera though - bleah - but I think the sci fi fans are entitled too to have a long lasting show like the soap-opera ones.
                Exactly, obviously our main cast can't last that long, but if they wanted to make another casting change, say at season twelve (I'm optimistic, so zat me), and they got someone great, I'd be all for it. With the right characters, the stories, and the gate, the Stargate Spirit is there, and I hope it continues for a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42
                  Exactly, obviously our main cast can't last that long, but if they wanted to make another casting change, say at season twelve (I'm optimistic, so zat me), and they got someone great, I'd be all for it. With the right characters, the stories, and the gate, the Stargate Spirit is there, and I hope it continues for a long time.
                  I am in total agreement. Of course there will be future cast changes if this show continues to go and go. I mean come on, we're entering it's tenth season with 3/4 of the original team. That's pretty good, if you ask me.

And if future cast changes do occur, I'll be open to them. Afterall, you can't be so closed-minded as to not even give a new character a chance. As long as TPTB can tell interesting stories involving rich, vibrant characters, this show will continue to rank among the finest TV has to offer. At least, IMHO.
                  sigpic
                  "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man
                    And it's a good view of it, IMO. Of course, I was one of those who enjoyed DS9 from the very beginning. And season 9 of SG-1, I freaking loved it.
                    Me too.

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man
                      I am in total agreement. Of course there will be future cast changes if this show continues to go and go. I mean come on, we're entering it's tenth season with 3/4 of the original team. That's pretty good, if you ask me.

And if future cast changes do occur, I'll be open to them. Afterall, you can't be so closed-minded as to not even give a new character a chance. As long as TPTB can tell interesting stories involving rich, vibrant characters, this show will continue to rank among the finest TV has to offer. At least, IMHO.
                      Absolutly!

Comment

Interesting parallel...

The main difference would be, though, that DS9 was a know spin-off,
                        while S9 is a spin-off in disguise...

J a c k M a n i a c

Comment

Originally posted by Pain in the mikta
                          Interesting parallel...

The main difference would be, though, that DS9 was a know spin-off,
                          while S9 is a spin-off in disguise...

True, but at the same time I can't call season 9+ a spin off in the sense of almost all the major characters are still on the show. Sure, O'Neill was replaced with a new character in Mitchell, but the rest of the crew is still there... it isn't like Worf joining a new show filled with brand new characters. You can't really count the General or the Doctor because the General had already changed a few times so that was a given, and the Doctor was killed off and they finally brought a new one in to replace her.

Comment

S9 I wouldn't consider a spin of in disguise, simple because it is still about SG-1.

I understand what you are saying and agree whole heartedly. Sometimes something is much better to watch back to back aswell, then to watch it week after week.

I find that with BSG - if I hate to wait to watch it each week I would quickly stop watching; because I watch it back to back I enjoy it, and understand the nuences they are building and why it runs slowly...
                            Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

Originally posted by Deevil
                              S9 I wouldn't consider a spin of in disguise, simple because it is still about SG-1.

I understand what you are saying and agree whole heartedly. Sometimes something is much better to watch back to back aswell, then to watch it week after week.

I find that with BSG - if I hate to wait to watch it each week I would quickly stop watching; because I watch it back to back I enjoy it, and understand the nuences they are building and why it runs slowly...
                              That's what I found with Enterprise, it's so much better to watch an episode a day. But I'd have to say BSG is the other way around, I like the suspense of waiting the week for the next episode (even if it is frustrating because I want to know so badly what happens next).

Comment

Working...
                              X