This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spoilers From Season two,Topic: Wraith Relationship

Ok, I am not sure if this is mentioned before but when I searched it up I found no results so encase Gateworld made an error, sorry!

Besides
    I want to see a human/Wraith relationship.
    By Lord Shiva

As we all no the wraith are the intergalactic enemy in Stargate Atlantis. The ancients described them as “a vicious, formidable enemy whose power and technology rivalled their own” but as we all know that just do it as its the only option they have to survive, they hunt down humans, humans hunt down animals, animals aggressively tries to escape from humans and ect….!

Quote:
    “MICHAEL: We're not as different as you think.
    TEYLA: We are nothing like you.
    (Michael laughs.)
    MICHAEL: You are a lot more like us than you allow yourselves to believe.”
    Which I currently have to say in some points I agree to,

1. Civil War
    2. Survival
    3. Clothing
    4. Human Form
    5. Intelligence
    6. And ect…………

So that tells us we have similar features,

But how about relationship between wraiths, we all know that every hive ship contains a queen;

Does the wraith have emotional feelings or a soul as humans do if so do they feed when desperately needed?
    Does the wraith have in some sort of traditions or beliefs?
    Why have a female queen when you can have a male?
    Do you think we will ever see a relationship in season three?

“how about a hive queen and a wraith male escaping as they have been hunted down by their own crew and hiding on other worlds to be with each other as they come across Sheppard’s team and full on run for it in one direction and Sheppard’s team running in the other as Ronan shot them both with the retrovirus which permanently allows them to be a human as they provide knowledge in order of their gratitude”.
    Last edited by Steven_the_Atlantean; 24 March 2006, 04:43 AM.

Originally posted by Steven_the_Atlantean
    Ok, I am not sure if this is mentioned before but when I searched it up I found no results so encase Gateworld made an error, sorry!

Besides
    I want to see a human/Wraith relationship.
    By Lord Shiva

As we all no the wraith are the intergalactic enemy in Stargate Atlantis. The ancients described them as “a vicious, formidable enemy whose power and technology rivalled their own” but as we all know that just do it as its the only option they have to survive, they hunt down humans, humans hunt down animals, animals aggressively tries to escape from humans and ect….!

Quote:
    “MICHAEL: We're not as different as you think.
    TEYLA: We are nothing like you.
    (Michael laughs.)
    MICHAEL: You are a lot more like us than you allow yourselves to believe.”
    Which I currently have to say in some points I agree to,

1. Civil War
    2. Survival
    3. Clothing
    4. Human Form
    5. Intelligence
    6. And ect…………

So that tells us we have similar features,

But how about relationship between wraiths, we all know that every hive ship contains a queen;

Hmmm..these are all valid questions...as for understanding the Wraith there are about several episodes in season 2 I look too. Actually season 2 seems very Wraith focused.

Let's start with Instinct...atlhough a special case we understand that they can learn and they have reason and besides of course a natural hunger for human life energy they can be reasonably well -adjusted as in Ellia's case.

Does the wraith have emotional feelings or a soul as humans do if so do they feed when desperately needed?
    Well the idea of the soul is subjective, remember that's something of a religious belief enforced into the psyche of man. Again this is also a question found in the case of test-tube babies. Does a natural way of birthing so to speak, different from a test-tube baby. From what I remember through reading of such a case the child born was rather well adjusted but living an anonymous life. So then you have to wonder what is the soul...?

But let's move away from that. And lets say we have a soul, it's real and definite. Fine. Since in my personal opinion based on what I've seen and I have disagreed with other posters who do not agree, I find always believed the Wraith are far more human than we ever gave them credit for. What does that mean?
    Spoiler:
    Ellia, from Instinct, pretty much seemed to me that she's relatively human besides the her facial features, aging process, and also feeding methods. She is human in most other cases when raised with humans. So that says that the idea of the naturally EVIL wraith is wrong.

That means that Wraith can have honor, honesty, kindness, and pretty much share the good qualities of human nature. Which also means there not far removed. And it says that these other rather fearful dynamics of them are inherit in their culture...much like each culture in the world has their distinct idiosyncracies, from ritualistic ideologies, to viewpoints, and every thing else. It's quite interesting topic to see...because that would mean that we are far more influenced by our environment than we think..and brings up to debate the DNA factor as also a cause of human behaviour...such as the always controversial topic of homosexuality. My money is on environment and social consequence.

And so we now have to question what caused this inherit behaviour.

Back to feeding...I think they feed the way they do because they have to. It's a natural biological function of the Wraith system....I mean it's been stated in Instinct that
    Spoiler:
    Ellia lived like a human until a certain age and then she needed to feed on life force. So it's a part of who they are. This was also stated in Condemned by the food eating Wraith I believe..or implied as such.

Does the wraith have in some sort of traditions or beliefs?
    Possibly, but unfortunately we haven't been given a view of that. But there is possibly a tradition and beliefs. I have been wondering in the case of Instinct
    Spoiler:
    why Ellia was on the ship with the other adults? She was a child Wraith amongst adults...there has to be something up with that.

Not to mention the Wraith have a natural heirarchy set up which says that there is a living structure that has been set up. What separates the drone like Wraith with the thing on their face from the normal humanistic wraith? And why do the Queen to be the head of the hive....while the men do field work...?! I have no clue.

Why have a female queen when you can have a male?
    Well in many societies..human wise we have many matriarchal families. I know in my culture it's predominantly matriarchial. And it shows a division of power. Yes the guy could be going to work and providing, but the woman is the one who has the power...designates the funds, has control of the children and pretty much tells who what to do.
    But insect wise you often see that the Queen has the most power...such as bee hives, ant farms/hives?, Praying Mantis' eat their mates...so most insects have that set up.
    Anyway as a womanist we're better at dictating than men.

Do you think we will ever see a relationship in season three?
    I do...it's very possible...Or at least before season 5, if there is one, we should see one. I'd like to see how the reproduction or know of the reproduction of the Wraith actually. How many do they have? How does it work? things like that.

“how about a hive queen and a wraith male escaping as they have been hunted down by their own crew and hiding on other worlds to be with each other as they come across Sheppard’s team and full on run for it in one direction and Sheppard’s team running in the other as Ronan shot them both with the retrovirus which permanently allows them to be a human as they provide knowledge in order of their gratitude”.
    I have no clue what your talking about here? Is it an ep and now we're hunting them to give them a new life? And why would they be in gratitude and provide them of what knowledge..I'm lost really with this question, if it is one.
    If it's an ep...I'm not into it...I really want us to move away from the morality thing...because it's such a questionable state to be in. And it just annoys me about the perversity of humans that we think we are so superior and righteous that whatever we do is right....p***es me off.
    VB
    Click statement above to read article.

Comment

Good points Vabrella

Ellia from Instinct, was practically human in all but species, but she had to kill humans to survive and it was eating her up inside. Her instincts conflicted with her human upbringing.

In the other Wraith relationship thread Ouroborous pointed out that if a human were to fall in love with a Wraith, then they must be prepared to accept that that Wraith has to kill to survive.

As for the soul, I do not believe in a soul. Wraith are sentient if that is what you mean.

Ellia was brought up as a human, and so exibited human traits, morality, manners etc. Had she been brought up by the Wraith she would probably have turned out like the other Wraith and seen humans as nothing but food. She and Michael both have a 'unique perspective' on humans.

I too was wondering why Ellia was on that Wraith transport. Perhaps she was a young hive queen. And why did it crash? Bad driving, sabotage, unexpected asteroid, systems fault?

Suggesting a future episode (not a spoiler, slightly off at a tangent):
      Spoiler:

The SGA team go back to the planet in Instinct and find Ellia alive. Her uber-Wraith healing abilities allowed her to recover from the shots that should have killed her*. The retrovirus has worn off and she has reverted to normal. With her father dead she has to fend for herself alone. This time she refuses the retrovirus. She still hates being a Wraith, but knows she can't change.

A Wraith hiveship approaches the planet, scanning the system. They are looking for the ship that crashed 10 years ago ...

Continues from here with more oppertunities to get a glimpse of Wraith society and the backstory to Instinct.

* The Wraith in The Defiant One took much worse. It took an air strike to finally kill him. The Ellia-bug looked kinda worse than that, and the team didn't stick around to check, hightailing it back to Atlantis since Shep was injured, so ...

Yeah, Wraith have to feed to live. Once they reach adolescence their digestive system stops working and they have to feed on humans to get their nutrients. I have posted speculation on the actual process of Wraith feeding in this thread.

I wonder if we'll see that Condemmed Wraith again.

In Wraith society, females are dominant. Interesting ... in insects females are usually dominant. As you said: bees, ants, preying mantises are very female-orientated. Wraith are evolved from insects, perhaps the female dominance comes from their insect heritiage.

Maybe the females are smarter? The Keepers are responsible for the maintainence of the Wraith hives, which the male Wraith scientist in Allies found difficult. The females seem to have stronget telepathic abilities too. The keeper in Rising forces Sumner to tell her that Earth exists and the Queen in The Hive forces Shep to his knees with her mind.

The Wraith seem to have a very caste based society. This could do with more exploring too.

Michael was right, the Wraith and humans are not so different. The Wraith have to feed to survive.
      In my view, they aren't evil for feeding on humans. They are just surviving.

It'll be good to see more of Michael in S3.

Comment

Females seem rarer, and remember that in insect hives the queen births the entire next generation and regulates all pheromonal communication.

Comment

If you read the GW interview that's up right now with Andee Frizzell, the actress that's played all the wraith queens, she reveals that's she's never seen, nor tried to depict any of them as "evil". I hope for the sake of a more interesting show someone on the writing team listens to her.

As for my own thoughts on the Wraith having relationships with each other I don't really think they do in the human sense.

The drones for example I'd consider right out of the equation here, and there aren't enough women to men to make sexual reproduction viable so that leaves little practical need for Wraith romance really, unless it's just something they hang onto like the solid food eating some of them do.

I wonder how it is they reproduce but my own personal theory is that the "hive" ships grow them in something not unlike those pods they were sleeping in in rising. This would also account for how they reproduced fast enough to outnumber the ancients.

The queen's role would be to direct and monitor this growing process. Basically she'd be the one that would decide how many new drones were needed, how many new steves etc.

In the other Wraith relationship thread Ouroborous pointed out that if a human were to fall in love with a Wraith, then they must be prepared to accept that that Wraith has to kill to survive.
          Yep this could be quite the moral dillema story.

:I met this great girl over the internet a few months ago. After a lot of late night chatting, and some questionable use of instant messager the designers would no doubt frown upon, we fell in love. You know how it goes. I'm going to meet her this weekend at the airport, oh bestill my beating heart."

Later: That Weekend

: sup, lover

: !

: So anyhoo, where do the slow moving children play around here?

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros
            As for my own thoughts on the Wraith having relationships with each other I don't really think they do in the human sense.

The drones for example I'd consider right out of the equation here, and there aren't enough women to men to make sexual reproduction viable so that leaves little practical need for Wraith romance really, unless it's just something they hang onto like the solid food eating some of them do.

I wonder how it is they reproduce but my own personal theory is that the "hive" ships grow them in something not unlike those pods they were sleeping in in rising. This would also account for how they reproduced fast enough to outnumber the ancients.

The queen's role would be to direct and monitor this growing process. Basically she'd be the one that would decide how many new drones were needed, how many new steves etc.
            Interesting theory but it wouldn't explain why there are male and female wraith in the first place. I also don't see how romance would be out of the question. Why not? They're sentient beings so why shouldn't they like romance? The keeper's and 1st hive queen's behaviours shows they do like be affectionate.

I totally agree that the dromes would out of the question but how the wraith reproduce I believe is the same as humans as they resemble humans so well and I think it would spoiled if they were made by their hive ship. Also the wraith live a very long time which gives them a lot of time to have children.
            Spoiler:
            According to the wraithal discrimination extra feature the wraith are as old as the ancients.

As for the wraith soc being female dominant because it is descended from "insects" can't really be the case as the iratus bug isn't an insect. It's not related to to actual insects, it just resembles one. Like spiders do but they are not a member of the insect superfamily. They are related to scorpions much more closely than insects. I do like the idea of there being a relationship between wraith and Steven's idea that it is between 2 rogue wraith but I wouldn't want them to turn human. There should be at least some interaction between a male and a female.

My theory is that all the Steve like wraith are either part of or work to be part of the hive queen's harem. Those that are the cleverest lets say become part of it, maybe like the scientist from allies.
            Last edited by Dr Weir; 28 March 2006, 01:04 PM.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Weir
              Interesting theory but it wouldn't explain why there are male and female wraith in the first place. I also don't see how romance would be out of the question. Why not? They're sentient beings so why shouldn't they like romance? The keeper's and 1st hive queen's behaviours shows they do like be affectionate.
              That's why I said that they might still practice human style relationships as sort of a hold over from their human sides. As a method of reproduction though it's not going to work anymore with what we're seeing from them. There aren't enough females to form a diverse enough pool of genetic material to ensure Wraith kids don't come out increasingly inbred after just a few generations. If that 60 hiveships thing holds true there might be less than 100 female Wraith in all of existence. Not even enough to fill a normal sized movie theater.

I totally agree that the dromes would out of the question but how the wraith reproduce I believe is the same as humans as they resemble humans so well and I think it would spoiled if they were made by their hive ship. Also the wraith live a very long time which gives them a lot of time to have children.[spoil]According to the wraithal discrimination extra feature the wraith are as old as the ancients.
              Another thing that makes me wonder is why we've never seen a pregnant queen if they fill their ranks by the queen birthing them all. Insect queens like ants etc are constantly pregnant and laying eggs.

As for the wraith soc being female dominant because it is descended from "insects" can't really be the case as the iratus bug isn't an insect. It's not related to to actual insects, it just resembles one. Like spiders do but they are not a member of the insect superfamily. They are related to scorpions much more closely than insects. I do like the idea of there being a relationship between wraith and Steven's idea that it is between 2 rogue wraith but I wouldn't want them to turn human. There should be at least some interaction between a male and a female.
              A Wraith/Human relationship or Wraith/Wraith one where they turned the Wraith human would just kill the whole point of it.

One way it could work I suppose is if one of the Wraith in the relationship got turned human but not the other one. Then they have to deal with the situation. That might paint the Wraith in a more emotionally sympathetic light then they want though.

They're obviously a matriarcal society though. I wouldn't say it's because the irratus bugs have a queen and thus the Wraith also have queens (the bugs don't seem to be social type insects at all). I figure it's just because some genetic peculiarity when they evolved resulted in the females being born with ehnaced psychic powers over the males. This then made them a natural candidates to be leaders of a species that communicates with a hivemind. It's possible that they might even be able to exert actual control other lower minded Wraith, given how they can sort of control humans who have less psychically receptive brains.

My theory is that all the Steve like wraith are either part of or work to be part of the hive queen's harem. Those that are the cleverest lets say become part of it, maybe like the scientist from allies.
              One thing I've also wondered is if there's possibly a female "drone" equivalent class somewhere that in responsbile for breeding. We've never seen one but that could be just because they're not really good for anything else, like the male ones are only good for fighting, so they're kept off the front lines.

If they don't birth the children themselves they might tend to them and raise them, sort of like worker ants.

Comment

Working...
              X