X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Ancients

Hi

Was just watching 'It's good to be King' again and one thing still gnaws at my mind. If the ancients were so advanced and their technology superior to everyone in the galaxy...

Why on earth do they write down instructions on how to use stuff in stone? Some of the objects they find which end up being ancient looks so.. primative.

Anyway... just curious as to if anyone has had this thought before.

it would last for thousands of years and not require power or technology to display.
    Daniel: You..stupid son of a *****
    Jack: Hey, you're welcome...

Comment

Keep in mind that they're also trying to reach to those civilizations that aren't so advanced. If something is made in stone it would look less peculiar to the primitive mind then say... 1mile tall all-metal tower.
      http://www.myspace.com/peoples_general
      http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/ga...PeoplesGeneral

Comment

Originally posted by Peoples_General
        Keep in mind that they're also trying to reach to those civilizations that aren't so advanced. If something is made in stone it would look less peculiar to the primitive mind then say... 1mile tall all-metal tower.
        /Agree. A big-ass shiny "How To Book" would be a little conspicuous.

Comment

Originally posted by Bragi
          /Agree. A big-ass shiny "How To Book" would be a little conspicuous.
          Not to mention probably pretty menacing looking to some of the locals.
          sigpic
          MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
          "...phu...ah..."
          "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
          Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Take a look at this from a primitive, pre-industrial person's perspective. Would you go near such a thing, that could house anything from "angry gods", "malevoent spirits", or "demons"?

Taipei 101.

Comment

On the other hand most of the ancient stuff is made from naquadah, i may be wrong but I think thats supposed to be a metal. It just looks an awful lot like stone. Take that 'stone' palm pilot from the episode where daniel goes nuts and sees dead people for instance....
              "The evolution of the brain not only overshot the needs of prehistoric man....

Spoiler:
              it is the only example of evolution providing a species with an organ which it does not know how to use."

--Arthur Koestler

Comment

Originally posted by phimuajedi69
                On the other hand most of the ancient stuff is made from naquadah, i may be wrong but I think thats supposed to be a metal. It just looks an awful lot like stone. Take that 'stone' palm pilot from the episode where daniel goes nuts and sees dead people for instance....
                The StarGate is made of that and it still manages to look metallic and not stoney.

Comment

I don't know, for some reason the gate has never seemed like metal to me....
                  "The evolution of the brain not only overshot the needs of prehistoric man....

Spoiler:
                  it is the only example of evolution providing a species with an organ which it does not know how to use."

--Arthur Koestler

Comment

Originally posted by phimuajedi69
                    I don't know, for some reason the gate has never seemed like metal to me....
                    Plastic?
                    It's poinless to negotiate with people that say "I'm sure we could work somethin", because rest assured that they will not pay. And yeah....

Comment

What's wrong with stone, anyway? It's just a material.

A couple of centuries ago people used glass for windows and it shattered easily. Now we can make bulletproof glass (ok, it's not technically the glass that's bulletproof but you get the idea - to someone from the 1800s it just looks like glass).

The point is, don't judge a book by its cover.
                      First, please use spoiler tags. If I want to know what happens in the show I'll watch it. Second, if you don't like the show, stop watching it. That way you won't feel the need to complain that a sci-fi entertainment show has "plot holes" or "isn't realistic". There is a difference between commenting on an episode you didn't like and constantly complaining about the series as a whole. After all, why torture yourself by watching something you don't like...

Comment

Originally posted by 2nd Lt
                        Plastic?
                        Well, Naquadah is a "quartz-like mineral."

Comment

The gate has always seemed to have a stony feel to me...

Now the Lantean gate is metal.

Mattathias

Comment

Originally posted by Mattathias2.0
                            The gate has always seemed to have a stony feel to me...

Now the Lantean gate is metal.

Mattathias
                            yeah teh SG does look a lot like stone, it even sounds more like stone than metal. And I suspect that if all the ancient technology was written in neat holograms and whatnot it would remove the mystique (sp?) from the show (ie, it looks cooler on TV). Now that we have the stuff though, I sorta wish the tech on Atlantis loooked a little cooler.

In my opinion the ship that looked the coolest and most advanced was the ship from the episode "Scorched Earth", it looked much more advanced than Ancient tech (even though we know Ancient tech is far superior)
                            Long live the Asgard

Long live my buddy Thor

Comment

Working...
                            X