X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Search engine worm alert !

Hi everyone !
    According to Yahoo news, there's a new variant of "MyDoom" worm about .
    Apparently it targets search engines,especially "Google".
    Check your Firewall,and anti-virus systems, and make sure you're not going to end up GW-etc-less ,while your computer's in IT hospital.(Expensive !)

To be honest,most of you'll probably already know all about it,but I just thought it might be handy to sound the alert anyway !

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/040726/325/eyura.html
    Last edited by Bagpuss; 26 July 2004, 02:40 PM. Reason: Link .
    The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

All it does is find more e-mail addresses to send the worm to, so only idiots will get it, and that's all good

The only problem is slowing down search engines...

Comment

Stupid virus worm things. They really annoy me. I don't really take much notice of them now! And if you've got a PC, there's bound to be a million updates to be apparently secured!
      __

__

Comment

Luckily I've got the full Norton anti-virus package,and it has the latest upgrades built in .(I checked ,though. )
        There's a bit of an update below.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/040727/325/eyvqq.html

I loathe these viruses and worms . Haven't these guys got anything better to do with their time ?

It's a real pain if your computers get infected,but some of the more elaborate "Bugs" can possibly cause a threat to human lives, if they affect emergency service systems or aircraft. Bad. Just bad.

Thank Goodness for "Firewalls".

Comment

Thank goodness for Mac's!
          __

__

Comment

Yep ! Ours is a "Intel celeron",but I'm hoping to upgrade ..

Comment

Originally posted by F.H.BAGPUSS
              Thank Goodness for "Firewalls".
              Firewalls do nothing in the virus/worm department, normally. All they do is control traffic connections between your system and others (usually the internet). Some firewalls may have intrusion detection added which will sniff the contents of packets involved in connections with your computer for signs of worms, but most firewalls don't have this. Firewalls should never make you feel secure, they should just add to your security.
              Cogito ergo dubito.

"How happy are the astrologers if they tell one truth to a hundred lies, while other people lose all credibility if they tell one lie to a hundred truths." - Francesco Guicciardini

An escalator can never be broken, it can only become stairs. You never see "Escalator temporarily out of service." It's "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Anything Mac or with Unix working with them is generally immune to them! Normally.
                __

__

Comment

To uknesvuinng !

There's intrusion detection built into my comp's security features ,but as you say, it's not completely secure .
                  I tend to be very cautious anyway,as I'm not a computer expert.Luckily I know one, and boy am I glad !
                  The main piece of advice he gave me, was to never open e-mails from addresses I don't recognise,and to block/ignore "Pop-ups",....so far so good.

Obviously there's no 100% safe net access,so thanks for the warning.
                  ##~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~##
                  To Anubis:
                  Hmmm. Sounds good,your Unix system. Not sure if my comp is compatible,though.
                  Last edited by Bagpuss; 27 July 2004, 11:04 AM. Reason: Obviously Anubis posted as I began typing.....he's FAST !

Comment

The Unix system is built into the Macintosh operating system, espically optimised the best for OS X 10.3 Panther. Good stuff!
                    __

__

Comment

One fine day,I'll upgrade. (Ok,it'll take time,but I'll get there ! )

Comment

lol Eventually..
                        __

__

Comment

Originally posted by uknesvuinng
                          Firewalls do nothing in the virus/worm department, normally. All they do is control traffic connections between your system and others (usually the internet). Some firewalls may have intrusion detection added which will sniff the contents of packets involved in connections with your computer for signs of worms, but most firewalls don't have this. Firewalls should never make you feel secure, they should just add to your security.
                          That's why I have a Firewall and a Virus scanner.
                          Both Norton's 2004 model.
                          sigpic

SGU Continued....

Comment

I do have the 2004 version of Norton, simply because I don't like McAfee because it makes PC's run a bit slower for some reason. Norton does the job well, but I feel that the pric every year is a bit much. I guess it's what has to be done though if you want to stay protected on a PC.

On the Mac, I use Virex but there is already a built-in firewall to the computer. Clever stuff!
                            __

__

Comment

Thanks for the warning.

Norton suuucks. It's like the nazi is AVs.

Comment

Working...
                              X