This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Potential for Wraith beam technology

Seeing as when something is beamed up into the Wraith dart, it is stored as data, surely they could beam someone up into a device, and as they are stored in data, they wouldn't age, as oxygen is what causes us to age, believe it or not.
    Surely the Lantians could have figured this out, and I know this is a bit late, but they could have stored Weir in a similar device when she travelled back in time. They could also have stored large equipment in a memory bank, such as Jumpers, I'm sure there is a way.
    "I don't know what Irony means but I use it alot, Ironic isn't it"

"Sure there have been deaths and injuries in boxing, but none of them serious"

Bloke:Fat Penguin
    Woman:What
    Bloke:I just wanted to say something that would break the ice.

Asgard has the same technology..[the go-away beam] the SGC could ask for it.

Comment

Yeah, but there maybe a few setbacks...

-We have no idea how long the data of Person X can last for... Even if it had an unlimited powersource it might start to deteriorate... The maximum amount of time that the Wraith probably built it for was the time taken to beam someone up & fly to a Hive ship to beam them back down... No more, No less.

-We don't know how much power is needed to store Person X indefinatly, it might just be that a Wraith Dart only has enough energy in it's transporters to hold 5 people for 5 hours.

Comment

there's actually a lot of implications that beaming technology has that I've been thinking about ever since I started watching Star Trek when I was like 8 years old or something.

To me, what is much more interesing than the ability to stop aging, is the ability to replicate things. If in fact there is just an energy to matter conversion, then one should be able to use energy to make anything that is made of matter. For instance the Asgard should be able to use their beaming technology to replicate an O'Neil class starship (or anything) many many many times. Also they should be able to build us new ships in no time. Raw materials should be made without much trouble. The only thing needed is to store is a blue print of the ship or object, the computer should then be able to make it. There is an example of this: in season 8 when O'Neil was making the replicator disruptor he programmed the plans into the Asgard computer, then the ship made it. The beam wasn't moving an already existing weapon from one point to another, it made one from scratch (well, i suppose it was actualy made from energy, but whatever). So according to this episode the Asgard should have no problem making an almost limitless number of ships, raw materials, etc. However I figure this would remove some of the fun of the show, limitless resources tends to make things really easy. I also admit that it's hard to tell the extent of replicating abilities. Due to the fact that we don't know how much energy is needed to make something from scratch (i.e. a disruptor) it's hard to tell how many of any one thing could be created. There is also a conservation of energy/mass concern.

But back to the point of this thread. The Wraith have a fairly unreliable power source from what we've seen. They need to cull at the end of every hyperspace jump. I doubt they can afford any more energy to long time data storage of people, Wraith, or anything. This seems more in the relm of Asgard, Nox, or Ancient technology.
        Last edited by asgardcmndr; 21 March 2006, 08:10 AM.
        Long live the Asgard

Long live my buddy Thor

Comment

i know its a different univers, but on one of the Startrek TNG shows, the enterprise comes up on an old ship. and they find something in the data banks, it turns out to be the engineer... scotty. he stored himself the in the memory banks using the transporter, but i think there was sombody else in there too, and the crew were saying how the data were deteriating. and if he were in there any longer, he would come out dead.
          Homer: WHEN PIGS FLY!...
          (a pig was in a cannon, and got shot accross the town, right were homer can see)

Homer: Doh!

Comment

I have a massive problem with all beaming technology in SG1. They don't seem to follow E=mc^2. A Dart with one person beamed in should make a 2 Gigaton explosion. Beaming up a whole house would create a teraton explosion

Comment

I agree that most if not all matter -> energy conversions - as we know them - tend to be very violent, but I suppose in the magical world of Stargate the Asgard have found a different way of converting between the two without using means of an explosion. But b/c this is Stargate and not the real world, my post about the uses of beaming technology still stands.

Also I think there's a lot more at play in Asgard beam technology than a very simple conversion then a sucking up of energy into the ship, etc. Prolly too complicated to explain on the show .
              Long live the Asgard

Long live my buddy Thor

Comment

Originally posted by aAnubiSs
                I have a massive problem with all beaming technology in SG1. They don't seem to follow E=mc^2. A Dart with one person beamed in should make a 2 Gigaton explosion. Beaming up a whole house would create a teraton explosion
                Yep, if a person was converted into pure energy and stored then that makes a lot of energy that has to be stored

Personally I love the Wraith beaming tech. It looks so cool. Since little explaination has been offered for how they work I prefer to think of the Wraith beams as a displacer technology (storing the object in timeless subspace rather than as energy and data, which would require huge amounts of memory and energy storage).

If they really work by converting an object into energy then why not just dump the energy you get into your reactor/batteries. I'd estimate that one person would power a hiveship for several million years.

Comment

Times heady flow is what ages you.

Have you ever found an old video of a movie you want to watch? The other day I did. (The movie Rainman which is awsome!) Anyway, our VCR is now old, the Video is now old (neither of which consume oxygen by the way ) and it was hard to watch my movie due do fuzziness and annoying lines that kept running across the screen. Granted the technology in beaming may be a little bit more advance, I would still imagine the same principle would apply.

At least with stasis you have a body to get back into. Hopefully they had some sort of fail safe where if the power were to fail, you would at least wake up. Sorted as data however, you would be finished.

It might not be so bad for short amounts of time, but long term I would prefer to be kept in a more tangible state.
                  An all new Stargate spinoff presents

Stargate: The B Team

The galaxy just got a whoooole lot crazier!

Comment

but weir needed to be free to swap around ZPM's so she couldnt have stayed in a wraith dart for all the time or the sheild would have collapsed. It is also likely that atlantis people wouldnt have figured it out and she would have just been stuck in the device for ages

Comment

Originally posted by wraithdude
                      but weir needed to be free to swap around ZPM's so she couldnt have stayed in a wraith dart for all the time or the sheild would have collapsed. It is also likely that atlantis people wouldnt have figured it out and she would have just been stuck in the device for ages
                      wraithdude is right but still beam in and out i still possible, doesnt seem like it uses much energy. and wouldnt storing a person be like putting "them" on a hard drive? even if its off you will still be there.
                      Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

I bet the infomation how ever it is stored would deteriorate over extended periods of time especially 10 thousand years. Using it to store equipment and gear would be a great idea but i have not seen the Wraith beam used to pick up anyting other than people and what they are holding. Even when the dart sweaps and large area with the beam.
                        "A man with a gun is a citizen, a man without a gun is a subject"

Comment

Originally posted by wraithdude

She woke up every 3,300 years in order to switch the ZPMs around, the Ancients weren't there, so the pod was on a timer effectively, the same could be done to a data storage device.
                          The reason that the Atlantis team had to retrieve Weir from her chamber was that she had aged so much that she was unable to do it herself. This wouldn't have happened either with the data storage method.

Comment

Originally posted by JaceGate
                            I bet the infomation how ever it is stored would deteriorate over extended periods of time especially 10 thousand years. Using it to store equipment and gear would be a great idea but i have not seen the Wraith beam used to pick up anyting other than people and what they are holding. Even when the dart sweaps and large area with the beam.

Why would the information deteriorate? It doesn't with anything else, even with a lack of power.

And it does have the capacity to beam material that isn't live tissue, only it is only programmed to beam up people and stuff that is attached to them.

Comment

Working...
                            X