X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TV Guide Online: 25 Greatest Sci-Fi Legends

From TV Guide Online:

http://www.tvguide.com/tv/coverstory/

(There's a photos of Farscape's Ben Browder at the site. Oh, and the three TV Guide covers.)

25 Greatest Sci-Fi Legends

Emerging from a bunker at a secluded Air Force base in New Mexico, TV Guide's editors hand over a list of the characters they'd most like to fly away with to planet Melmac. Here's a few:

DICK SOLOMON
    3rd Rock from the Sun, NBC, 1996-2001
    Intelligent life in outer space? You couldn't prove it by Dick Solomon, the funniest extraterrestrial since Dan Aykroyd stuck a rubber cone on his head. As the leader of a quartet of intergalactic invaders (the cast also included former Conehead Jane Curtin), Dick and his Rock band posed as humans in a small Ohio town, causing no end of misunderstandings. Serious actor John Lithgow proved not only that he could be hilarious but that a sitcom premise as timeworn as a favorite Martian could zoom with originality.

JOHN CRICHTON
    Farscape, Sci Fi Channel, 1999-2003
    Plunged through a wormhole, easygoing astronaut John Crichton found himself caught in an interstellar conflict with only a handful of allies. Ahead of its time? Maybe that explains the fan obsession. Or maybe it was the out-of-this-world charm and good looks of actor Ben Browder. Either way, Sci Fi has a four-hour miniseries, Farscape: The Peacekeeper Wars, coming in October.

MAX GUEVARA
    Dark Angel, Fox, 2000-02
    A genetically souped-up teen soldier, Max could mop the floor with futuristic baddies without so much as smudging her lipstick. Co-creator James Cameron hired an unknown 18-year-old named Jessica Alba for the role because, he says, "she had sass." Not to mention perfectly pouty lips and a body that sent the sci-fi boys' club into a hormonal frenzy. No wonder that two years after Dark Angel's wings were clipped, fans are petitioning for a return.

JACK O'NEILL
    Stargate SG-1, Showtime, 1997-2001, Sci Fi Channel, 2002-Present
    Between battles with aliens, the smirky, sarcastic Jack O'Neill watches reruns of The Simpsons and reads Mad Magazine. No Patrick Stewart-style pomposity for this space hotshot. Played with irreverent confidence by Richard Dean Anderson, the snarky colonel has led Stargate to its place as one of the longest-running sci-fi series in television history. An official seal of approval is due in September, when the U.S. Air Force will give Anderson an award for representing the military positively. The Pentagon has so far declined to take a firm position on the reading of Mad Magazine.

GEORGE JETSON
    The Jetsons, ABC, 1962-63
    Most sci-fi heroes have it all: looks, guts, cool gadgets. And then there was George Jetson, who had... well, one out of three ain't bad. George was an Everydad of the 1960s: overworked, underpaid and always a bit out of step with the brave new world of treadmills, picture phones and robots. His trademark lament of "Jane, stop this crazy thing!" could be heard as an existential cry for help in a world gone techno. Or maybe The Jetsons was just a cool cartoon. Either way, it painted an enduring Pop Art image of the space age.

For the rest of our 25 Greatest Sci-Fi Legends, pick up this week's issue of TV Guide magazine, on sale Thursday.

|*|(*)|*|(*)|*|

There are three "collector" covers for this August 1-7 issue:

Capt. Picard and Beldar Conehead
    George Jetson and Seven of Nine
    ALF and Fox Mulder

|*|(*)|*|(*)|*|

Morjana

SG1-Spoilergate
    http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/SG1-Spoilergate/

Richard Dean Anderson Fans
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rdandersonfans/

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
    SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
    Morjana's Blog Twitter

That's awesome! Thanks Morjana. I had been under the impression that TVGuide didn't particularly care for Stargate since their reviews have always been mediocre at best and tend to mention Farscape more than not but that's great.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

George Jetson??????????????????? I would have apprecited TV Guide being reasonably serious here.
      Carter: Navigation? O'Neill: Check. Carter: Oxygen, Pressure, Temperature Control?
      O'Neill: Check. Carter: Internal Dampeners? O'Neill: Cool!, and Check. Carter: Engine?
      O'Neill: All Check. O'Neill: Phasers? Carter: Sorry Sir.

Comment

Originally posted by morjana
        From TV Guide Online:

http://www.tvguide.com/tv/coverstory/

*snip*

JACK O'NEILL
        Stargate SG-1, Showtime, 1997-2001, Sci Fi Channel, 2002-Present
        Between battles with aliens, the smirky, sarcastic Jack O'Neill watches reruns of The Simpsons and reads Mad Magazine. No Patrick Stewart-style pomposity for this space hotshot. Played with irreverent confidence by Richard Dean Anderson, the snarky colonel has led Stargate to its place as one of the longest-running sci-fi series in television history. An official seal of approval is due in September, when the U.S. Air Force will give Anderson an award for representing the military positively. The Pentagon has so far declined to take a firm position on the reading of Mad Magazine.
        I love this. And please...as if everyone in the Pentagon doesn't have a taxpayer-provided subscription to Mad Magazine???
        Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
        O'Neill: Who doesn't?
        - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
        - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
        once done, cannot be undone...
        brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Comment

I got the TV Guide in the mail today and in the rankings, they have Jack as #10.

1 - Rod Serling (The Twilight Zone)
          2 - Star Trek crews
          3 - Uncle Martin (My Favorite Martian)
          4 - George Jetson
          5 - Diana (from V)
          6 - David Vincent (The Invaders)
          7 - Fox Mulder (The X-Files)
          8 - Alf
          9 - Captain John Sheridan (Babylon5)
          10 - Jack O'Neill
          11- Duncan MacLeod (Highlander)
          12 - Sam Beckett (Quantum Leap)
          13 - MST3K crew (Mystery Science Theater 3000)
          14 - Robot (Lost in Space)
          15 - The Coneheads (Saturday Night Live)
          16 - Allie Keys (Taken)
          17 - Max Guevara (Dark Angel)
          18 - Captain Malcolm "Mal" Reynolds (Firefly)
          19 - Steve Austin and Jaime Sommers (The Bionic Man and Woman)
          20 - John Crichton ( Farscape)
          21 - Starbuck (Battlestar Galactica - the original)
          22 - Doctor Who
          23 - Ultraman
          24 - Dick Solomon (3rd Rock from The Sun)
          25 - Captain Video

There are writeups for each one in the magazine.
          No snurching any Pictures I post!! (without my permission)

sigpic

Comment

Alf beat out Jack O'Neill? What in the heck is this world coming to?

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

How does Alf rank above Jack and many of the others for that fact? Even though I used to watch that show (granted I was like twelve or something), I mean come on. I think Alf only got that high because of its resurgence in TV with the commercials and then the "talk show" on TVLand.

He was mentioned in "Sight Unseen" though, but Jack claimed he had "never" heard of him.
              IMO always implied.

Comment

Originally posted by Shipperahoy

Sokar must have frozen over.

Morjana

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
                SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
                Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Shipperahoy
                  Good thing you said that because I'm freakin' speechless!!!!

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStar1836
                    He was mentioned in "Sight Unseen" though, but Jack claimed he had "never" heard of him.
                    (Warning: this may be my imagination)

I believe I read somewhere that that was an inside joke because ALF (acronym for Alien Life Form...gettit? ) was a competing show to MacGyver. They did run about the same time and on competing networks: ALF on NBC (1986-1990) and MacGyver on ABC (1985-1992), but I can't confirm what time they aired. ALF was also only 30 minutes, where MacGyver was an hour.

I never watched ALF, but was sometimes subjected to it by the completely whacked sense of "entertainment" that belonged to my grandparents.

Other notes: "The Coneheads" (the SNL skit, not the movie)

Comment

Originally posted by morjana
                      Sokar must have frozen over.

Morjana
                      Do you mean Sokar or Ne'tu (Sokar's "underworld" planet)?
                      No snurching any Pictures I post!! (without my permission)

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X