This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Say Yes To Kirking

I was going to title this thread "Real People Have Sex", but I thought that might be a bit offensive.

Basically, this is a thread for people who don't mind one-off romantic relationships in Stargate, people who don't think that kissing an alien woman is a nail in the coffin of character development.

I don't necessarily mean this to be pro-kirking so much as I mean it to be against the mentality of "No Stargate character shall ever touch another character without episodes upon episodes of follow-up". I basically started this because I am tired of the Shep-bashing (and as of "Collateral Damage", Cam-bashing) that happens everytime they touch a woman. They're grown, single men. They can boink a willing woman if they want to! Sex happens!

This is a thread to promote discussion of any and all one-off relationships in the show, to provide support for people who don't mind the Kirk syndrome, and to discuss possible future appearances and permutations of kirking.
    So, enjoy.
    They say the geek never gets the girl...what about the girl getting the geek?

Rodney/Teyla...it could happen

spoilers for "200"
    Spoiler:
    Gen. Hammond: It has to spin, it's round! Spinning is so much cooler than not spinning. I'm the general, and I want it to spin!

Vala: Are you saying that General O'Neill is...

Cam: My daddy?

Originally posted by starfox
    I was going to title this thread "Real People Have Sex", but I thought that might be a bit offensive.

Basically, this is a thread for people who don't mind one-off romantic relationships in Stargate, people who don't think that kissing an alien woman is a nail in the coffin of character development.

I don't necessarily mean this to be pro-kirking so much as I mean it to be against the mentality of "No Stargate character shall ever touch another character without episodes upon episodes of follow-up". I basically started this because I am tired of the Shep-bashing (and as of "Collateral Damage", Cam-bashing) that happens everytime they touch a woman. They're grown, single men. They can boink a willing woman if they want to! Sex happens!

This is a thread to promote discussion of any and all one-off relationships in the show, to provide support for people who don't mind the Kirk syndrome, and to discuss possible future appearances and permutations of kirking.
    So, enjoy.
    The show has been spiraling downward in this respect due to the fact that prior to Season 09, both Jack O'Neil and Daniel Carter's instances of intimacy had extenuating circumstances surrouding their encounters. It wasn't just about one-nighters with the alien gurl, as it is the current trend in this SEason.

Comment

Originally posted by shiznaw
      The show has been spiraling downward in this respect due to the fact that prior to Season 09, both Jack O'Neil and Daniel Carter's instances of intimacy had extenuating circumstances surrouding their encounters. It wasn't just about one-nighters with the alien gurl, as it is the current trend in this SEason.

That's your opinion, and I respect that. I just wanted to open up a thread for those of us who don't think the occasional (and I mean very occasional, most romantic interactions on the show are open to interpretation) bit of alien-snogging will send the show spiralling into the abyss.

spoilers for "200"
      Spoiler:
      Gen. Hammond: It has to spin, it's round! Spinning is so much cooler than not spinning. I'm the general, and I want it to spin!

Comment

Hmm, no I actually like the original idea for a thread name.
        So, enjoy.
        Well as I have said elsewhere I don't mind as long as it is 'in' character, and if Sheppard and the like are going to be putting it about then fine but make it equal, give Teyla a bit on the side and have a gay bent too, and come on why does it have to be mostly the Het male lead? Where is the fun in that, every show has their Het lead 'doing' someone, be different and adventurous, that I would watch.
        Last edited by Willow'sCat; 14 January 2006, 08:05 PM.

Comment

That's your opinion, and I respect that. I just wanted to open up a thread for those of us who don't think the occasional (and I mean very occasional, most romantic interactions on the show are open to interpretation) bit of alien-snogging will send the show spiralling into the abyss.
          "occasional" being the operative phrase. McKay getting along with Allina from The Brotherhood is a good example of an occasional fling that wasn't detrimental to the character or the story. It's when it happens (seemingly) every episode that it wears thin or becomes repetitive.

As well, both Stargate shows seem to be of the opinion that a female guest star is only good for eventually or immediatly ending up as a romantic interest for one of the main stars. The only two women that I've been able to figure out who haven't fit into this mold is Elizabeth Weir and Sora of the Genii. Every single other woman in the Stargate show (main characters included) have eventually been soley defined by whom they are/would like to be sleeping with.
          sigpic
          http://www.nerdtests.com/ft_space.php

Comment

Originally posted by Cory Holmes
            "occasional" being the operative phrase. McKay getting along with Allina from The Brotherhood is a good example of an occasional fling that wasn't detrimental to the character or the story.
            Personally I thought that was a bad example as it made McKay seem like he was uncomfortable, when in the shows canon (SG-1) he never came off like that when crushing on Sam.

Comment

I'll sound off here.

A few of my fav eps include "A Hundred Days" and "The Brotherhood" so I personally have no problem with any degree of the episodic relationship thing. It didn't hurt, that those had some heart in the stories.

The Shep "Kirking" thing probably isn't going away. The fact that they named the "action" after a science fiction icon practically says it's going to stay.

I honestly don't see it bogging down the show unless it actually starts to get in the way of the actual science fiction. Which admittedly could be a possibility...

Sidenote:

One of my favorite lines in the entire SG universe is "Daniel, you dog, you keep this up you'll have a girl on every planet!"
              For a copy of "Have A Little Faith in Me", My Kate Heightmeyer Appreciation Vid Click Here

McWeir Central by PurpleYin (who deserves much appreciation for it) | aka: the reason why the McKay/Weir Thread on GW is Quiet

Comment

Originally posted by Drwho'srose
                Well as I have said elsewhere I don't mind as long as it is 'in' character, if Sheppard and the like are going to be putting it about then fine but make it equal, give Teyla a bit on the side and have a gay bent too, and come on why does it have to be mostly the Het male lead? Where is the fun in that, every show has their Het lead 'doing' someone, be different and adventurous, that I would watch.

I agree. I've said before that I would like to see some she-kirking on the show. Where's the episode where Teyla and Elizabeth get alien dancing boys to perform for them as part of an alien diplomatic ceremony? It would make my day if we saw Zelenka stumble out of a closet with one of the anthropologists, or if Heightmeyer and Katie Brown were seeing each other. It wouldn't even have to be the focus of the ep; I'd just like those little moments.

The relationship aspect makes the show real to me. Real people have sex, I don't begrudge my characters a few rolls in the hay, it just makes them more human.

spoilers for "200"
                Spoiler:

Comment

I agree. I've said before that I would like to see some she-kirking on the show. Where's the episode where Teyla and Elizabeth get alien dancing boys to perform for them as part of an alien diplomatic ceremony? It would make my day if we saw Zelenka stumble out of a closet with one of the anthropologists, or if Heightmeyer and Katie Brown were seeing each other. It wouldn't even have to be the focus of the ep; I'd just like those little moments.

The relationship aspect makes the show real to me. Real people have sex, I don't begrudge my characters a few rolls in the hay, it just makes them more human.
                  You got some awesome imagery you know that? Considering Teyla does have contacts and friends throughout the galaxy, it wouldn't really surprised me if she were to hook up with an old unrequited interest.
                  For a copy of "Have A Little Faith in Me", My Kate Heightmeyer Appreciation Vid Click Here

McWeir Central by PurpleYin (who deserves much appreciation for it) | aka: the reason why the McKay/Weir Thread on GW is Quiet

Comment

*mod snip*, I can't believe this issue has to be debated in order to prove how detrimental such a thing is to the validity of a show. But in fairness, I'll ask others from around the Board to weigh in so that maybe the original poster and others who may be indifferent to the issue get a little exposure as to why "kirking", in the long-run, is inherently subversive to the overall intent of establishing credibility.
                    Last edited by kiwigater; 23 January 2006, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Jesus Christ, I can't believe this issue has to be debated in order to prove how detrimental such a thing is to the validity of a show. But in fairness, I'll ask others from around the Board to weigh in so that maybe the original poster and others who may be indifferent to the issue get a little exposure as to why "kirking", in the long-run, is inherently subversive to the overall intent of establishing credibility. Darth, PG, and others hopefully will be coming through soon.

Please don't. That's what S.T.A.K.S. is for; this is so the rest of us can talk about the parts of one-off romance and/or "kirking" that we like without having to debate it endlessly. You don't like it, that's fine. Allow me my opinion, please?

spoilers for "200"
                      Spoiler:

Comment

Please don't. That's what S.T.A.K.S. is for; this is so the rest of us can talk about the parts of one-off romance and/or "kirking" that we like without having to debate it endlessly. You don't like it, that's fine. Allow me my opinion, please?
                        You can't be serious. Squashing any true academic debate isn't what this forum is about.

The problem with opening a thread is that other's are allowed to state their opinion and back them up with facts, perspectives, or evidence to support it. Simply because someone had the visoin and ability to coin the phenomenon central to the stereotypical behavior of every cheesy sci-fi hero into an acronym and start a "S.T.A.K.S." Thread shouldn't dissuade others from engaging in an open and honest debate within other threads
                        Last edited by shiznaw; 14 January 2006, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Open debate is lovely, but since the initial post of this thread clearly says "Basically, this is a thread for people who don't mind one-off romantic relationships in Stargate, people who don't think that kissing an alien woman is a nail in the coffin of character development," I think it ought to be clear that this is not a Debate thread. There is a thread with a poll in it that's for debating, there's the STAKS thread for Staksing, and this thread is for enthusiastic kirking.

I'm still only half way through s9 and s2, and i still have only seen two genuine kirks in total over eleven seasons. I'm happy with it as it is. But I agree with starfox that a bit of equal opportunity kirking would be more welcome

Madeleine

Comment

You can't be serious. Squashing any true academic debate isn't what this forum is about.

The problem with opening a thread is that other's are allowed to state their opinion and back them up with facts, perspectives, or evidence to support it. Simply because someone had the visoin and ability to coin the phenomenon central to the stereotypical behavior of every cheesy sci-fi hero into an acronym and start a "S.T.A.K.S." Thread shouldn't dissuade others from engaging in an open and honest debate within other threads

I'm not squashing debate. I'm trying to discourage the bashing that seems likely to occur from your previous posts on this thread. I have no problems with academic debate. Discussing how "kirking" affects character and plot development in a civil, non-confronational manner (which I haven't seen on this forum) is wonderful. But I have a sneaking suspicion that any such debate would swiftly devolve into character bashing, specifically Shep-bashing, which is the very thing I am so tired of.
                            Last edited by starfox; 14 January 2006, 09:28 PM.

spoilers for "200"
                            Spoiler:

Comment

This is about the support of the 'kirking' or the 'why can't they just have relations and move on' part of the Forum, I see no reason why we need to debate it here, this is a Pro thread.

There are many Threads on GW that are not intended as 'debating' threads, most Shipp/Thunks are not open to Anti Shipp/Thunk and we have threads for Anti-Kirking anyway, one of which I have posted in and read other posts saying that said thread is not for debate but support of Anti Kirking so...

Comment

Working...
                              X