PDA

View Full Version : Ready For tonight!

creed462
March 17th, 2006, 07:24 AM
Who here is ready for tonights premere and what are yall plans

I'm going to have friends over

Rowana
March 17th, 2006, 08:33 AM
I know I am! :D I've got chocolate and soda and birthday cake! Oh yeah! It's gonna be a fantastic night!!

lastro
March 17th, 2006, 09:01 AM
I'm ready!!

Here are two excellent reviews.

Seattle Times
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/television/2002870002_kay17.html

"The superb "Doctor Who" achieves something difficult for American shows: It makes TV look easy by demonstrating that intelligence and escapism are not mortal enemies."

~~~~~~~~~
San Berdino Sun - 4 stars
http://www.sbsun.com/ontv/ci_3609624

Blowing up the planet in episode two? How do you top that? But here's betting you'll be dying to find out: You needn't know anything of past series to become quickly addicted to this series' seemingly endless quirky charms.

Willow'sCat
March 17th, 2006, 12:37 PM
Hey, I'm ready and I'm not even in America! Hope you all enjoy it, sure you will. :)

Metarock Sam
March 17th, 2006, 01:43 PM
Well I hope you enjoy the fun !!!
Now if only i could travel forward a month to the premier of season 2....

Deputy-Assistant-Second-Prime
March 17th, 2006, 02:15 PM
Who here is ready for tonights premere and what are yall plans

I'm going to have friends overNo plans per se.

I'm just gonna grab a snack, sit down, and enjoy two hours of Doctor Who. :)

creed462
March 17th, 2006, 02:42 PM
I'm so excited just a couple of hours to go

Draco_Astreus
March 17th, 2006, 04:54 PM
Ready to go, I've got pizza! :mckayanime08: Can't wait.. been too long since I watched Dr. Who. I love how it seems like they're keeping the good ol' music... Honestly the intro is about half of what I'm looking forward to! :mckayanime03:

mckaychick
March 17th, 2006, 05:05 PM
This looks intersting!! Hope the show is good.

March 17th, 2006, 05:26 PM
This looks intersting!! Hope the show is good.They are airing two episodes tonight.

I've seen them already on DVD.

The second episode is great. :)
Definitely catch the second episode tonight, folks.

T-minus 34 minutes. :D

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
March 17th, 2006, 05:46 PM
T-minus 34 minutes. :D
As of right now, 12 minutes.

walterIsTheMan
March 17th, 2006, 07:03 PM
Not to hurt anyones feelings, but I thought it was rather dumb :(. And what is it with the way British film their television programs. It's always like fuzzy like they're not moving at the right speed. Weird.

March 17th, 2006, 08:07 PM
Not to hurt anyones feelings, but I thought it was rather dumb :(. And what is it with the way British film their television programs. It's always like fuzzy like they're not moving at the right speed. Weird.The pacing was better without commercial interruption.

The commercials were edited in at bad spots.

The theme music which linked the scenes should have been edited fade out and allow smoother transition to commercial.

Royal_Nonesuch
March 17th, 2006, 08:29 PM
I'm pretty with the Who-niverse as it were, but I never really considered myself a fan. Still, I really enjoyed tonight's eps and found that they updated the show nicely. I'm looking forward to more!

Royal

Seshat
March 17th, 2006, 08:33 PM
I enjoyed them both very much! It was lovely to see new eps again. :)
Certainly brought back memories... ;)

Dallista
March 17th, 2006, 10:20 PM
Not to hurt anyones feelings, but I thought it was rather dumb :(.
That's quite all right. First time I ever saw DW, it was the last fifteen minutes of The End of the World. I watched it, and dismissed it as "weird silly British sci-fi", and using Cassandra, a "talking peice of rug" as example.

I've learned the error of my ways since then. ;)

Nah, seriously, either it works for you, or it doesn't. You might want to bear in mind it's supposed to be family entertainment, suitable for both kids (even the very young ones) and adults. Try watching the last episode when it airs, there's a scene there that I'm certain would shock a lot of American viewers if they presented the series as a family show over there!

March 17th, 2006, 11:05 PM
I should probably add that American shows are written with little cliffhangers or little thoughtful moments before each commercial break.

Although, this new Doctor Who series was meant to also be shown on commercial television, you can see the pacing of the story doesn't take the commercial breaks moments into much consideration; because, correct me if I'm wrong, they don't have commercial interruptions in Britain.

It was like watching a movie on commercial television, a lot of awkward jumps to and from commercial without musical & visual prompting or a change in pace.

Frankly, I saw much worse on when PBS aired the "movie versions" of the original series.
Still, those two episodes worked much better without commercial interruption.

Dallista
March 17th, 2006, 11:26 PM
they don't have commercial interruptions in Britain.
Yes they do (plenty of commercial channels there, too), but not the BBC. ;)

those two episodes worked much better without commercial interruption.
As far as I'm concerned, anything works better without commercial interruptions. And I just saw an updated list of the editing SciFi did in the episodes; cutting out lines and stuff, just so there could be even more commercials! I'm appalled. I guess you guys are used to that sort of thing happening, but that doesn't make it any less of a bad thing. Stupid SciFi, gggrrr. How dare they, tamper with the greatness that is Doctor Who.

Draco_Astreus
March 17th, 2006, 11:29 PM
Well I rather liked the episodes. :daniel: Quite different from your typical super-realistic modern scifi show... I like realism but having something else to watch is just cool. :sheppardanime23: And I loved the TARDIS and all the sound/special effects... just like old times. :hammondanime01:

One thing, for who-experts... I never really was able to follow the original show much after Tom Baker (didn't even see all of that), under what circumstances was Galifrey (sp?) destroyed in a war?? That caught me by surprise, I don't see how he could be the last time lord if they could just travel through time to save themselves...

Dallista
March 18th, 2006, 12:07 AM
under what circumstances was Galifrey (sp?) destroyed in a war??

Well... that's the big question, isn't it? Suffice it to say that you have missed *nothing* whatsoever about explanations concerning this war (it had nothing to do with the earlier Doctor Who serials or the TVM), and everything will be revealed in due time.

Unless you want to spoil yourself for the rest of the season, in which case you can read up on it at wiki or elsewhere... but I strongly recommend against it!!!

I don't see how he could be the last time lord if they could just travel through time to save themselves..

Be sure not to miss the episode "Father's Day".

The Signal
March 18th, 2006, 05:42 AM
Well... that's the big question, isn't it? Suffice it to say that you have missed *nothing* whatsoever about explanations concerning this war (it had nothing to do with the earlier Doctor Who serials or the TVM), and everything will be revealed in due time.

Unless you want to spoil yourself for the rest of the season, in which case you can read up on it at wiki or elsewhere... but I strongly recommend against it!!!

Dallista is right, you get to piece it together over the series, but the details are still a mystery, the last timelord issue is done though. As for the commercial thing, the origional was shown on BBC, so no commercials, thats why it doesnt flow as well.

It's always like fuzzy like they're not moving at the right speed. Weird. huh? No idea what you mean there :S

Anyhow, hope you enjoyed the episodes, and get ready, the best is yet to come.

creed462
March 18th, 2006, 09:37 AM
It was well worth the wait. There were still elements of the classic Doctor, I can't wait for more

Draco_Astreus
March 18th, 2006, 11:38 PM

Be sure not to miss the episode "Father's Day".
Hey thanks for that Dallista! :) Cool I'll rest much easier knowing I can wait to find out what happened. *waits patiently*

SGalisa
March 19th, 2006, 08:43 PM
for anyone who missed Friday's Sci-Fi premiere presentation:

Sci-Fi channel is repeating the DOCTOR WHO eps from last Friday tonight at 11:30 p.m. and 12:30 a.m. EST (USA) time.

eps: "Rose" and "End of the World"
:)
(it's currently already running according to the TV guide)

Madeleine
March 20th, 2006, 05:35 AM
UK TV has more pixels (clearer picture) and fewer frames per second (less smooth movement) than US TV. UK programmes shown on US TV get broadcast with the UK jerkier movements and the US fewer pixels. The same is true of US stuff shown on UK TV. So whichever side of the pond it was filmed, any UK or US programme will look like poor quality when it gets to the other side, compared to the homegrown stuff.

Draco_Astreus
March 20th, 2006, 06:06 AM
UK TV has more pixels (clearer picture) ...
Really?? Well not all US TV has the same resolution, what about HDTV? :tealcanime49:

Madeleine
March 20th, 2006, 06:18 AM
Er, yeah, I'm a bit out of date :o

Auralis
March 20th, 2006, 07:16 AM
PAL vs NTSC
And then there is PAL+
And SECAM
and HDTV in its various versions ...

March 20th, 2006, 01:41 PM
Really?? Well not all US TV has the same resolution, what about HDTV? :tealcanime49:Last time I checked, they hadn't decided on the standard yet: 480, 480i, 720, 1080, 1080i...I believe those were the competing standards.

March 20th, 2006, 01:45 PM
UK TV has more pixels (clearer picture) and fewer frames per second (less smooth movement) than US TV. UK programmes shown on US TV get broadcast with the UK jerkier movements and the US fewer pixels. The same is true of US stuff shown on UK TV. So whichever side of the pond it was filmed, any UK or US programme will look like poor quality when it gets to the other side, compared to the homegrown stuff.They overcame that problem and were able to remaster The Claws of Axos for DVD as a result.

It was the crappiest quality color episode because it had converted from film to NTSC to PAL.

Now it's beautiful in its clarity.
You have to see that DVD.
They even have a featurette on the old & new conversion technology.

Auralis
March 20th, 2006, 04:26 PM
Last time I checked, they hadn't decided on the standard yet: 480, 480i, 720, 1080, 1080i...I believe those were the competing standards.

Not quiet,
Its all the same standard, HDTV, the broadcaster can chose at what resolution they want a broadcast to be.

creed462
March 21st, 2006, 07:52 AM
Right now I like Satalitle, but does PAl have move lines in it

Auralis
March 23rd, 2006, 03:24 AM
PAL is 724x576 at 50 fps interlaced.
NTSC is 724x480 at 60 fps interlaced
HDTV 480 is the lowest res HDTV at 853x480 in either 50 fps progressive and interlace.
And goes up to 1920x1080

Ancient 1
March 23rd, 2006, 11:45 AM
I taped it. I watched it. I will never get those 2 hours back. After seeing how well BSG was revamped, I guess I was spoiled and expected more. I don't think I can even try to watch it again, but that's just me.

SGalisa
April 9th, 2006, 01:15 PM
slight change in subject, but... On topic:

In typical network viewing fashion, here's a Sci-Fi channel scheduling note -showing DrWho a bit earlier- for a repeating ep:
repeating WWIII tonight April 9, 2006
.. Sunday at 11 p.m. EST (NY, USA time)
World War III - Part II

(Part 1 was "Aliens of London")

I guess it's easier to stay tuned to Sci-Fi's schedule-bot on a week-to-week basis at the last minute, for this sort of thing. (*sigh*)

BTW, (IMHO) this was a good ep:
... funny, serious, emotional - all in one. :)

April 14th, 2006, 05:27 PM
Dalek in T-minus 30 minutes. :D

creed462
April 14th, 2006, 08:47 PM
Dalek was cool!

northstar_08030
April 14th, 2006, 10:15 PM
Yup, that was a heavy episode and it was yet another one of their type of episodes that feel like they run longer then they normal do. I mean when I saw the Dalek break loose I was expecting to the episode to be almost over with, and have our heroes have a little bit of a gun-ho fight with the machine, but then I look at the clock and I found out that only a half-hour had past. So there I knew that there would be more to this episode.

creed462
April 21st, 2006, 11:24 AM
Okay new ep tonight, can't wait...

The Signal
April 21st, 2006, 03:01 PM
The Long Game right? Good episode, great ending.

creed462
April 22nd, 2006, 11:30 AM
Yes I've never
seen the Doctor so mad at a Compainion, Then again, I've never see a compainion do something so stuid. and that inculde Harry Salivan tring to pull a nuke off the Doctor.

Mr_Fantastic
April 22nd, 2006, 11:32 AM
Yes I've never
seen the Doctor so mad at a Compainion, Then again, I've never see a compainion do something so stuid. and that inculde Harry Salivan tring to pull a nuke off the Doctor.
Remember when the 6th Doctor tried to strangle Peri (admittedly he was insane at the time)

Hulabaloo
April 22nd, 2006, 12:53 PM
This is one of those times im happy to be British!

(As in i watched Tooth and Claw a hour ago)

creed462
April 22nd, 2006, 04:19 PM
No I don't remember, was that in the Twin delima

April 22nd, 2006, 06:12 PM
No I don't remember, was that in the Twin delimaYes.

creed462
April 23rd, 2006, 12:30 PM
I don't think it counts when he's unstable