Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Firefly inspire you to learn chinese?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did Firefly inspire you to learn chinese?

i wanna learn has anyone else tried beucase of firefly
    https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Actually im guilty of that. Beofre firefly i could speak english and spanish and after watching it, I have been tempted to learn chinese. It is a very intersting language.
    sigpic
    Many thanks to geekywraith for the wonderful sig

Comment

I'll have to admit, I haven't been that inspired.
      sigpic
      MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
      "...phu...ah..."
      "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
      Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

If you mean chinese phrases and insults...yes, guilty as charged.
        sigpic
        Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Even before Firefly I found Chinese very interesting...I know they have a course of Chinese in my eveningschool...though there's a list to get in...and I think when it's my turn we'll be five years later...

But for now I can hold my own with the Firefly-chinese, insults are fun as are the occasional polite words who I probably pronounce completely wrong but who really cares...
          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Umm to be honest I really don’t want to learn Chinese I don’t find it interesting but rather annoying not that its bad I dunno it sounds annoying to me I know I’m weird I dunno but yeah I think German is a cool as language and I am tempted to learn it but Chinese nope sorry lol I don’t mind all the Chinese talk going on in firefly but yeah I dunno mixed feelings about the language I wouldn’t mind maybe learning a few insults but I wouldn’t want to go to all the effort of learning the whole language

Comment

I went to Mandarin school when I was younger, hated every minute of it. But since Firefly I have cultivated a taste for the insults and swearing.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Banrigh
                But since Firefly I have cultivated a taste for the insults and swearing.
                Yeah, those are definitely the most favorite ones of all...
                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

My husband got the film companion / script book and learnt to say "hello pretty lady" and a few less PG things as a result.

Madeleine

Comment

Comment

lol!
                      sigpic
                      Many thanks to geekywraith for the wonderful sig

Comment

I did for a week then i got too stressed with it lol i have a friend who's chinese she can help me with insulting phrases lol

I did inspire me to get a chinese tattoo tho, the serenity sign on my neck

XX

Comment

yeah, i spent about a week learning some of the stuff. its just so fun when you can curse at someone without having to worry about them punching you or anything because they can't understand a word that you are saying.
                          Zaphod Beeblebrox for president!

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
                            My husband got the film companion / script book and learnt to say "hello pretty lady" and a few less PG things as a result.
                            i'm sorry i would love to cruse out someone at work can i borrow the book

Comment

You people realise of course that most of the Chinese insults (especially the wacky ones) in Firefly are made up by Joss... most Chinese people don't actually use them... In reality there aren't that many swear words in Mandarin.

But it's really a lovely language... I didn't think so as a child but it's full of imagery and history. It's one of the oldest written languages still in use.
                              A very difficult language to learn, mostly because it is tonal but not out of the realm of possibility.

Jia You! (Literally means "Add oil". A form of encouragement to persevere)
                              sigpic
                              "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Working...
                              X