X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ask Cheyenne Mountain! (MMORPG)

Cheyenne Mountain Entertainment is ready to answer
    your questions on Stargate Worlds!

Stargate Worlds will be the franchise's first massively multiplayer online role-playing game, allowing fans to create a character, step through the Stargate, explore alien worlds, join a battle campaign, establish diplomatic relations, team up with other players, and much, much more. Learn more about the game, now in the pre-production phase, at GateWorld.

Ask Your Questions!
    Just post them here in this thread. We'll cull through this thread every so often and send your questions to Cheyenne Mountain, then post the answers at GateWorld. We'll also invite the game's developers to join the forum and post answers directly on this thread!

A few special guidelines for this thread:
    • Give a peek at what has been asked so far. We won't send the same question twice.
    • Read any Q&As that have already been posted at GateWorld. (We'll keep a running list of links here in this thread's first post.) Again, if it's been asked and answered, your question will just be ignored.
    • Be creative! We already know the basics about the game, and we know that there is only so much the company can reveal at this stage of production. So for this Q&A to be successful, you'll have to use your noodle.

Thanks to Cheyenne Mountain for their enthusiasm and their efforts to keep us in-the-know! Visit the game's official Web site at StargateWorlds.com.
    GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
    The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
    Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Thanks for doing this, Darren! I look forward to seeing what Stargate Fans have to ask. We've attracted a lot of MMORPG Gaming fans to the site and forums at Stargate Worlds but I'm curious to know what a Stargate Fan would want in an MMO, themselves. I'd especially like to understand what would attract them to playan MMO if they never have before.

I know the first MMO I played was because of the brand, not because I wanted to especially play with others online and adventure together, but once I did, I couldn't imagine playing solo again.

I hope you all feel free to ask anything you want here! I can't promise everything will be answered right away, but as soon as we have the answers for you we will definitely pass them along.
    Cheyenne Mountain Entertainment
    Stargate Worlds Community Website

Comment

Hi, as noted that its not only a shooting game but expedition as well. will there be major discoveries?

Comment

WOO HOO! First off I'd like to say that I'm a BIG fan of SGW and I cant wait till it comes out. But I'll get on with the questions:

~What is going to be the style of 'carrying' items? I'm an avid World of Warcraft player and I know in WoW they have bags with slots and items that stack.
        ~It was mentioned that a FRED was going to be a re-spawn point for Tau'ri characters when they die (which I love), but what about the goa'uld? Will they have anything of the sort?
        ~Will there be a leveling system in game?
        ~For character choices, is there going to be different set character classes? Or do you just make a character, then, in game, decide what talents you decide to learn?
        ~Will there be instances? if so how many?
        ~How many 'sides' will you be able to choose from? For example: will it just be humans vs. goa'uld. Or will it be Humans+Asgard vs. Goa'uld+(enslaved) Jaffa Vs. Ori+followers type of thing?
        ~Any idea yet on what the computer specs will be? (Its probably too early to tell)
        ~Will players be able to buy and own there own individual ships?
        ~Will guilds be able to build massive ships and be in control of them?
        ~Will there be guilds?
        ~Will there be capitol planets/cities?
        ~What types of realms will there be? (RP, PVP, nonPVP, RPPVP etc.)
        ~Will there be a money system? If so, any ideas on what the currency will be?
        ~Any idea on how travel through the gate will work?

I could go on and on but I'll leave it to these for now. Thanks for this wonderful oppertunity!

~Colonel Sharp
        Last edited by Colonel Sharp; 16 March 2006, 07:20 PM.
        sigpic
        Sig from Kat Logan VIA SilverRider

SIX YEARS OF ROLEPLAYING ON GATEWORLD!

Join the Aftermath RP

Comment

Will jaffa be free, or will you be reverting to the system lord governments for the game?

Comment

Hey guys, thanks for doing this.

What brought you guys into doing a game based in the Stargate universe?
            I mean to ask, were you originally Stargate fans or did someone propose the idea to you?

Comment

You probably won't answer this, but for every decent TV show to video game conversion there are about 20 really crappy conversions. I don't think a good TV to MMORPG even exists yet. Similarly, we've seen how terrible Movie to MMORPG's can be (I'm looking at YOU Star Wars Galaxies).
              So are you guys going to ACTUALLY try, or is this going to end up like Star Wars Galaxies (awesome idea, crappy execution)?

Note: The fact that you guys even acknowledge what Gateworld is, let alone answer questions from people on their forums is a big plus in my "hmm, will this game suck, or will it actually be good"-o-meter.

Comment

What kind of gameplay features does Stargate World have that other MMORPGs don't have, aside from use of the Stargate lisence? e.g. Do you have a unique combat system? A unique style of economy?

Comment

Will it be Apple Mac compatible? Or only PC Windows?
                  "I am Kal-El of Krypton, it is time to fulfill my destiny"

Comment

I think I know the answer, but I am going to ask anyway.

Will there be a monthly fee or will it be free?

Thanks for your time.

STEEL

Comment

Howdy,

Kudos on creating an MMORPG based one of the few things (Stargate SG-1) that would get me away from the 'former' MMORPG that I used to play.

For as little as it's worth, and yes I realize I am only one opinion, but I will offer this input;

a) Kindly have CSR's in place that will actually respond to /appeals in a timely manner.

b) Kindly give CSR's a daily reminder that on the rare occasion that we ask for insight, we really would appreciate an answer. (If CSR's are asked a legitimately stupid question then they should be allowed to gate a Player to a planet that has no return gate, a broken DHD or be forced to live with the Ori)

c) IMO; World of Warcraft is too 'Cartoony'

d) IMO; DAOC (Camelot) CSR's couldn't care less about their Customers.

e) If you are going to make a specific item(s) hard to obtain, then it should not wear out / deteriorate.

f) If you price the game at less than $ 10 /month to play then you will earn many players that have left games in which rates continued to soar.

g) If you set up the game so that buff / stat enhancement bots don't help then I believe you will have a better chance at keeping the playing field fair.

h) For those of us who type for a living; try to incorporate a voice-chat program in to the game.

i) For heavens sake, try to keep the lag down so a low roar. Going LD (Link~Dead) was always such a pain in the @rse.

j) You MUST install a command which gates a girlfriend and/or spouse to a place, from which we can not hear them. HAHA ;p

Can you provide any insight for those of us who want to know?

i) What time-frame are we working with? (3 months, 6 months etc ... )

ii) Will there be a BETA release we can register for?

iii) Will there be a maximum Character level that will not change?

iv) Once you obtain the maximum level, will the game become more of a Player -vs- Player game, with points being awarded for successful kills?

Thanks for the effort and may you succeed where the others have failed,

Streetwalker
                      Dallas, TX

Comment

Well, there is really only one question that burns in my mind, and that is:

Will we be able to play as someone other than humans from Earth? Such as the Jaffa, Wraith, or what have you?

I think everyone being the same species/faction would get pretty boring pretty fast, especially in a science fiction game.

Comment

Somebody else asked but I will chip in to give it more weight.

Is there going to be a mac version?

Comment

Will SGW be setup for PCs only or will they have it for MACs as well as PCs ?

In what time line are you basing this world to be , or what season are we starting out in ?

What RACES/ALIANS are there goinng to be , and whitch ones can we play as ?

How many worlds are you tring to start us up with and will we see more later on with the series of the show ?

Will new races be Unlocked when new races are found in the shows?

Will Atlantis be part of SGW or will it be an add on later on as the game goes on ?

will there be ANCIENT weapons that players can use , and if so how will that work with the Goa'ulds and Jaffas ? Or will each RACE/ALINA have there own technology to play with ?

Thats and its great to see devolopers wanted to hear questions and anwser then for the fans . thanxs again .
                            Last edited by -PITBULL-; 17 March 2006, 12:38 AM.

Comment

To what extent will worlds be instanced (multiple instances)?
                              Will some worlds be dynamically generated?
                              Can player guilds control worlds?
                              Can I walk up to a DHD, tap in an address, and watch the Stargate try to dial that world (That's what stargate fans have been dreaming of for years. It would be cool if we could watch the show, write down an address and then travel to that world in the game.)?
                              How much PvP will be available? Will players be able to play as Jaffa and Goa'uld and invade each other's worlds?

And for the love of God and all that is holy please do not let Sony Online Entertainment anywhere near this franchise!

Comment

Working...
                              X