PDA

View Full Version : Roswell - "Everyone has a secret..."

Daniel Jackson
July 25th, 2004, 01:36 PM
Greetings and salutations, welcome to the official Roswell thread. I know there's a thread for the DVD's, but I thought we could also use a seperate thread for discussion of the TV series as a whole. Anywho, I'd like to start off by sharring a few websites and sharring my favorite episode.

Crashdown.com (http://www.crashdown.com)
Roswell on DVD (http://www.foxhome.com/roswell/home.html)
Imagination Island - Roswell Forum (http://s6.invisionfree.com/Braltar_nirk/index.php?showforum=38)
Roswell Screen Grab Galleries (http://members.fortunecity.co.uk/orion27/index.htm)

My favorite episode would have to be "Who Died and Made You King?" It has just about everything that makes Roswell such a good show. From Max/Liz romance to Jesse dealing with Isabel's alien status. I also loved finding out that Agent Burns from "Busted!" turned out to be a part of the FBI Special Unit before it was disbanded! :o Also, I was sure Jesse was gonna turn in Isabel when he phoned Agent Burns, and then the gun shot later on... with all the fans complaining about Jesse and this being one of the final episodes, I thought they were gonna kill of Jesse! I was as shocked as Isabel to see Jesse with a pistol and a dead Agent Burns on the floor. Who knew Jesse would keep a pistol, I mean, he's a lawyer for goodness sakes! The fight scene between Max and Michael, while it wasn't something you'd see on Stargate SG-1 or a good sci-fi movie, it deffinately had a level of realism. You could tell they were getting hurt and not doing the Hollywood ack, I got hurt, now I'll get up as if nothing happened rutine. I also found it interresting how Michael became King after Max's temporary death, but did the trigger happen when Max's soul was obsorbed into Clayton, or when Max and Liz fell out the window? Oh, and I loved Michael telling Maria off about how he stayed for her and she thanked him with a breakup. The look on her face was priceless! :lol: I think the best scene overall is at the end when Isabel and Jesse dispose of Agent Burns and return to their home where Jesse, while not happy about it, realises he's apart of the conspiracy for good. In the kitchen, I was convinced he was getting ready to leave Isabel, I was getting so mad at him, but when he said, "No... no, there's no where to go. I'm a part of this for good now." I jumped up and yelled, "Go, Jesse!" lol

Elwe Singollo
July 25th, 2004, 03:12 PM
The part about the show that really 'pissed' me off was when they killed of Collin Hanks, although his character became less than useful in the second season, he was my favorite character :(

Torley
July 25th, 2004, 03:53 PM
Yeah, didn't Colin Hanks request to be killed off to act in Orange County? I'm not sure if that's just a rumor or what but it was around the same time.

I liked this show... for awhile. Towards the end it seemed like the cast wasn't really into it as a cohesive unit and they kind of plodded on -- off the air, interviews with them gave me the same feeling :(

At least they ended it without some gaping wide cliffhanger.

Daniel Jackson
July 25th, 2004, 04:16 PM
Littlemigueljr, Colin Hanks' character, Alex, was killed off due to the actor needing to spend more time on the movie Orange County than Roswell. It was a creative decission based around the young actor starting a film career. My guess is they figured he would have preferred to continue doing films rather than the series. Still, they could always bring him back via wacky time travel just like all the other sci-fi shows. lol

Elwe Singollo
July 25th, 2004, 06:02 PM
Yah, i figured that he wanted to, but what was up with his constant absenses in S2? He was gone for like more than half the season?! But i'm happy he did his movies, because they were good :D

Daniel Jackson
July 25th, 2004, 06:32 PM
His constant absenses in season 2 were due to filming Orange County. See why they killed Alex off? :p

Elwe Singollo
July 25th, 2004, 07:15 PM
Oh really :rolleyes: Oh well, i think with the movies he has been in, he has made more money than half the cast still on Roswell, but hey, i am glad on how the show ended, well kind of, haha...

Torley
July 25th, 2004, 10:17 PM
Who was that evil alien baddie who was always chasin' them in the form of different humans? Krenim? Klozan? Kozars? Now I sound like O'Neill... I forget :P

Elwe Singollo
July 26th, 2004, 06:51 AM
I forgot his name, but the caretaker for Tess, thats all i remember really, and that he died.

Daniel Jackson
July 26th, 2004, 09:15 AM
Who was that evil alien baddie who was always chasin' them in the form of different humans? Krenim? Klozan? Kozars? Now I sound like O'Neill... I forget :P
That would have to be Nasedo, but he turned out to be their protector, and then he turned out to be a bad guy on Tess's side, ready to hand over Max, Michael, and Isabel to Kivvar, but one of the skins killed him - we've no idea, my guess is the skins didn't know that Nasedo and Tess were on their side.

Elwe Singollo
July 26th, 2004, 09:43 AM
Didn't Tess kill a lot of the skins at the school?

Daniel Jackson
July 26th, 2004, 10:07 AM
Yeah, I still don't understand how Tess, Nasedo, and the Skins were all working together. They sort'a wrote Tess as being a villian into the last few episodes of season two, it wasn't something they planned. My guess is that the skins didn't know that Nasedo made a deal with Kivvar to hand over Max, Michael, and Isabel through Tess. As for Tess, maybe she killed the Skins for killing Nasedo?

Elwe Singollo
July 26th, 2004, 11:01 AM
I think the writers just redid the whole thing, and made some confusion on things, i don't know, but i guess Tess just really wanted to go home in the end i guess? I don't know :rolleyes: Maybe Tess and N. were with the other kind of skins i guess, but that can't be right either, gosh :(

Torley
July 26th, 2004, 06:51 PM
That would have to be Nasedo, but he turned out to be their protector, and then he turned out to be a bad guy on Tess's side, ready to hand over Max, Michael, and Isabel to Kivvar, but one of the skins killed him - we've no idea, my guess is the skins didn't know that Nasedo and Tess were on their side.

Okay, I must have been thinking of Kivvar. Thanks!

Gee... that just sounds messed. Okay, whatever... glad I didn't watch the end. My memory is foggy but I remember skins had a button you could press to kill them or something, and they needed a lot of moisturizing cream.

Uh... okay :)

Daniel Jackson
July 26th, 2004, 09:42 PM
That's becuase the "skins" were living inside of these living biosuits, the button exposes them, thus killing them. The "cream" helps keep the biosuits alive. As for Kivvar, he's in two season three episodes, "To Have and To Hold" and "Interruptus".

Elwe Singollo
July 27th, 2004, 11:34 AM
Question, was kivvar... the kid? Me can't remember :(

Torley
July 27th, 2004, 12:17 PM
Yeah thanks Daniel Jackson :)

Kivvar took different forms or bodies I think? One of them was a bratty little kid, he was annoying IMHO. Please do clarify. :)

Elwe Singollo
July 27th, 2004, 01:10 PM
Tess - I only liked her in some episodes, haha... I mean, i still liked her when she killed our beloved Colin Hanks, but yah, her likeness level decreased, haha...

Who thought that episode with dupes were interesting, but didn't like the way they acted?

Daniel Jackson
July 27th, 2004, 07:57 PM
Yeah thanks Daniel Jackson :)

Kivvar took different forms or bodies I think? One of them was a bratty little kid, he was annoying IMHO. Please do clarify. :)
The bratty little kid was Kivvar's "Skin" leader, Nicholas. Gosh, that kid drove me nuts! lol

Elwe Singollo
July 28th, 2004, 05:52 AM
He was annoying, grr, what happened to Nicholas ?

Daniel Jackson
July 28th, 2004, 11:23 AM
We thought he got killed with all the skins, then he showed in in season 2's "Max in the City" and was never heard from again. Maybe his skin-suit gave out? :confused:

Torley
July 28th, 2004, 12:23 PM
Thanks Daniel Jackson. Yeah... Nicholas... grrr! ruined it for me.

Elwe Singollo
July 28th, 2004, 01:20 PM
I always though either Tess killed him, again, but maybe not, or he just went back home, haha...

Daniel Jackson
October 19th, 2004, 01:03 PM
Does anyone have Season 2 yet?

TheWarrior
August 11th, 2006, 11:15 AM
Just resurecting this thread due to Roswell airing on The Sci-Fi Channel in the UK every week night.

I never watched this series when it first aired - now I am watching everyone from Season One onwards.

Alex is so witty - it is a shame they kill him off in Season Two - would have liked him to get together with Isobel till the end.

CCA
August 11th, 2006, 06:26 PM
I watched the show and really enjoyed it. Though it was annoying to the fact I had to switch tapes beacuse Roswell would come on then Third Watch would come after that.

But, I loved Michael and Maria..those were my favorite charaters...Liz and Max sorry to those who are shippers to them..to whiney for me. Kind of reminded me of Buffy to much...but Michael yeah he was a bada** I like those :D

lucylou
August 12th, 2006, 03:16 AM
I loved Roswell! Alex and Isabel were so cute and I was so sad when he died. Awww! The acting there was amazing. I loved how Isabel saw him after he'd gone though. Michael and Maria were my favourite characters. Their relationship was so real! I was never really a fan of Max and Liz. I loved Kyle too as the seasons progressed. In season 1 I really didn't but then in 2 and 3 I thought he was adorable. Roswell was an awesome show. It's such a shame it didnt go on for longer xxx

TheWarrior
August 12th, 2006, 04:49 AM
Maria and Michael are great together, like others wasn't a big fan of Liz and Max

Isobel and Alex thoe - they were great together, and I liked the episode where Isobel went into his dreams to see if he can be trusted and she saw how he felt for her and how he was really nice to her etc, I just liked the moment when she realised he was a nice guy and then hung out with him etc.

lucylou
August 12th, 2006, 08:59 AM
Sometimes I liked Isabel and sometimes I didn't it was weird. I loved seeing her moe vulnerable side with Alex though!

warmbeachbrat
August 12th, 2006, 09:12 AM
I loved Roswell! Even with their unfortunate side trip to the alternate Michael/Isabel/Max thing.

I really didn't care for who Isabel wound up with--like others, I wish she and Alex had gotten together.

While I liked Maria and Michael together, I loved Max and Liz. I felt they were the heart and soul of the show.

So sad that it ended too soon....

TheWarrior
August 12th, 2006, 09:29 AM
Only a few episodes to go in the UK of Season One - then were onto Season Two, which is apparently better than Season One.

Can't believe I never watched this when it first aired.

lucylou
August 12th, 2006, 12:09 PM
I love season 2! Its so awesome! Michael really starts to come into his own in Seasons 2 and 3. You see a lot more to his character. I love the conflict that Tess brings into the show too!

TheWarrior
August 12th, 2006, 12:34 PM
Tess appears this week in the UK - can't remember much about her from the first time these episodes aired.

This might have been asked before - Who is everyone's favourite character?

lucylou
August 12th, 2006, 01:54 PM
I always really liked Maria. She's funny and sweet and brought a lot of sunshine into the show. I loved her. Alex too!

warmbeachbrat
August 12th, 2006, 06:57 PM
Max is my favorite, I think. He has so much responsibility for all of them and takes it so seriously. Liz kind of messes that up for him--he's torn between his heart and his duty.

But I really like Isabel, too. Just when you think you have her figured out, she does something that makes you question how she really is, or shows added depth to her character.

lucylou
August 13th, 2006, 03:45 AM
Kyle grew to be one of my favourites in the end too. When Tess came along you saw a lot more to his character than we'd seen previously and I liked that. He was so sweet and funny. Bless lil Kyle xxx

twiggy
August 17th, 2006, 06:17 AM
Michael is my favorite character. wow, i seem to be the only one on this thread who thought Michael and Isabelle should have ended up together...

i also really like Max and Liz. as much as i felt sorry for Tess, she was meant to be with Kyle, not Max.

lucylou
August 17th, 2006, 06:19 AM
Yeah I loved Tess and Kyle together but didn't really like Tess and Max. I did like Tess though. I think she brought lots of cool conflict to the show.

twiggy
August 17th, 2006, 06:21 AM
Kyle grew to be one of my favourites in the end too. When Tess came along you saw a lot more to his character than we'd seen previously and I liked that. He was so sweet and funny. Bless lil Kyle xxx
especially when he found Buddha!

lucylou
August 17th, 2006, 06:24 AM
Yeah he had some hilarious quotes about buddha. I think he was the character who grew on me the most during the shows run. They all had their journeys. His was the funniest lol x

twiggy
August 17th, 2006, 06:36 AM
Tess: You tell 'em Buddha Boy!

aaand

Kyle: My strength fails. My vitality exhausted. I cannot find the bull. I only hear the locusts chirring through the night.

Korean_Turtle87
August 17th, 2006, 09:14 AM
the guy who played Max is suposed to be in a korean movie called "D-war"

KillerMercury
August 17th, 2006, 09:40 AM
Hey everyone! I'm sad to admit, I never watched it while it was on the air. It never really caught my attention until I saw the last 10 minutes of the Season 1 finale yesterday while Sci Fi was doing its daily rotationals.

And I gotta say I'm hooked already! Problem is, I kinda need someone to gimme a primer, basically tell me all the basic stuff. It'll be a while before I could rent the DVDs. Thank you!

lucylou
August 17th, 2006, 02:43 PM
Tess: You tell 'em Buddha Boy!

aaand

Kyle: My strength fails. My vitality exhausted. I cannot find the bull. I only hear the locusts chirring through the night.

I love that Tess quote. So funny!

TheWarrior
August 17th, 2006, 11:41 PM
Near the end of Season One in the UK repeats - the Sheriff has started to be more helpful to the group and letting on he knows something and that he's there for them. Which is a good change from the start of the series when he was out to get them it looked like, now he wants to help.

aAnubiSs
August 17th, 2006, 11:45 PM
Almost all the the characters in Roswell are really good.

What little we saw of Amy DeLuca was really nice. Personally I think Tess was my favorite. Too bad there wasn't a season 4. I would've loved for them to find Ava.

Emilie de Ravin is the hottest person on the planet.

lucylou
August 18th, 2006, 02:50 AM
Near the end of Season One in the UK repeats - the Sheriff has started to be more helpful to the group and letting on he knows something and that he's there for them. Which is a good change from the start of the series when he was out to get them it looked like, now he wants to help.

I love Valenti after season 1 when he started to be more helpful. He's a really cool guy. I loved watching the scenes with him and Kyle and him and Tess. He was such a cool father figure in the end. Awww!!! I wish they'd done more with him and Amy though :(

HyperCaz
August 18th, 2006, 03:37 AM
I discovered this show one month ago. Since then I have watched every single episode :D I'm hooked and there's not a lot to be hooked to *sigh* Forgetting the cliched teenage angst, Roswell had some very original plots - ones that kept me guessing all the time.

Valenti was cool after season 1, agreed :D

lucylou
August 19th, 2006, 03:41 AM
I loved the angst in Roswell. There was just so much about it to keep you hooked. It had so much potential and such wonderful cast members and the stories were amazing. Some of them were really touching. Which season out of the three was your favourite? I'm so not sure lol xxx

twiggy
August 19th, 2006, 10:35 AM
I loved the angst in Roswell. There was just so much about it to keep you hooked. It had so much potential and such wonderful cast members and the stories were amazing. Some of them were really touching. Which season out of the three was your favourite? I'm so not sure lol xxx
that is such a hard question to answer! all the different seasons had something different about them that made them amazing. so i can't decide.

TheWarrior
August 19th, 2006, 10:42 AM
Can't answer that just yet - only seen Season One with two episodes to go.

creed462
August 19th, 2006, 10:45 AM
I've only seen mixed eps, but what I have seen has been good.

warmbeachbrat
August 21st, 2006, 12:35 PM
The first season was definitely my favorite. The second season got sidetracked with a story arc I didn't care for and the third season went off the rails in a couple of different ways for me. Still, they were eons better than most of what's on TV; I enjoyed all three seasons immensely and am so sorry the show is gone....

HyperCaz
August 21st, 2006, 03:13 PM
Season 1 definitely my fav. :D I agree with the story arc in season 2 being a bit...well. I just wasn't interested. Season 3 had 4 less episodes I think...and it just felt rushed, especially the Tess episode.

TheWarrior
August 21st, 2006, 10:41 PM
Just saw the second from last episode of Season One - Great Episode it was and now the aliens and Valenti have to escape from Pierce.

Loved how Valenti turned up and shot at Pierce and grabbed Max to carry him out - can't wait to see the explanation to Valenti about everything.

lucylou
August 22nd, 2006, 02:42 AM
I think season 1 was amazing for setting everything up. Didn't think much to Marias hair though lolol. It was really nice to see how the characters grew throughout the seasons! but one did have some amazing stories!

CCA
October 6th, 2006, 08:37 PM
Okay I wanted to post this when I finally got it up at Deviant Art and well then I forgot about it lol and finally just posted it and remembered to post it on here...nothing big but it has to do with Roswell ;) and it reminds me of the show anytime I look at the picture. I went through the town :D and took this shot ;)

Roswell Picture (http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/40988686/)

Arga
January 30th, 2007, 04:15 AM
****** episode # 3.01 Busted! ****

I've been doing a "Roswell marathon" from the pilot, and now i'm at the beginning of the 3rd season.

And so far I felt the first episode of season 3 had the plot that most didn't make sense. I'm talking of course about the opening scene, where Max & Liz decided to investigate the place by commiting a violent armed robbery masquarade.. It is completely away from the principles that Max seemed to have over the previous 2 seasons. (to keep a low profile, not to raise attention). I don't know what the writer thought.. Maybe make a surprising season opening, and make an excuse for Liz' father to forbid her to see Max... Or to point out that Max lost his reason....
This criminal action doesn't make sense, because Max has alien powers that he could have used to take a look at the room behind the store, discretely.. And that's what he did when he returned alone to the place!

what do you think?

Daniel Jackson
January 30th, 2007, 06:15 AM
Makes ya wonder why they didn't break in while the store was closed unless it's a 24/7 store.

Arga
February 7th, 2007, 06:59 AM
*** About the atmosphere on their Planet of origin ***

There is something I didn't quite understand when they mentioned the atmosphere of their planet. They say it's unbreathable for humans. and also that Earth's atmosphere is unbreathable for aliens (the 100% pure alien creatures), that's why they were created in human form.

Now, the thing I don't understand is how Nassedo & the other aliens like him & the skins) did to survive on Earth.
And when Max, Isabel, Michael & Tess were going to go back to their planet, how did they expect to survive there in a toxic atmosphere?

YodaMate
February 9th, 2007, 08:57 PM
This show was and is such an incredible show, it's really a shame that shows like this, Firefly and Angel didn't get to fulfill their potential whereas shows like Charmed got to keep going on and on and on.

KillerMercury : the first season introduces virtually all of the main characters - Max, his sister Isobelle and friend Michael look human but they have alien components and powers. In this season, they have little to no idea of the details of their alien heritage ; all they know is they were grown slowly from pods brought to Earth on the ship that crashed near Roswell in 1947 (they emerged from the pods in 1989, appearing about aged 6 and age normally from that point, making them teenagers in 1999).

At the start their identities are secret (even from their adoptive human parents) but Max uses his healing power in the first episode on a shot human girl, Liz whom he has a crush on and their romantic entanglements are one of the main themes for the series. Slowly, more of Liz's friends discover the secret over the course of the first season (Maria and Alex) as does the local sheriff Jin Valenti who gets suspicious of Max, but his son Kyle (Liz's boyfriend whom she dumps for Max) knows nothing. Meanwhile, the aliens discover clues about a killer "fourth alien", who eventually reveals himself as a shapeshifter (Nasedo) and a fourth alien teen (Tess), plus a ruthless FBI unit on their trail who take an interest in Liz's survival of the shooting in the first episode.

I highly recommend watching them all from the beginning, almost all of the episodes are very good :)

Discussion of later seasons below

As to the atmosphere question, Antar was never stated (to my knowledge, unless it's in the series finale, which is the only one i haven't seen yet) to be dangerous to humans. That would be highly illogical given that the Royal Four were supposed to be able to return and that Tess did spend time on the planet.

It was pretty clear to me, at any rate, that there were different types of aliens, presumably from the five different planets. The Skins couldn't breath Earth atmosphere but i believe they could breath Antar atmosphere (judging from Nicholas' comments about knowing Kivar and Vilondra well), whereas the shapeshifters evidently could.

The issues with Max's son and the atmosphere turned out to be lies from Tess ; he never had trouble on Earth nor on Antar and he was 100% human. As for the Skins and Nasedo, i got the impression that Nasedo's deal was with Kivar, not the Skins. Plus until he delivered Max, he was still technically the enemy and he, Tess and everyone else was fair game.