This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rodney's intellect

I know Rodney has a huge ego and is arrogant as hell when it comes to his brains but does he actually think he is smarter than the asgard. I mean when he and the asgard, Hermiod ( I think thats his name) were working on the code for the wraith ships, he told Hermiod that Hermiod thinks he is smarter than he is. Hell yeah he is smarter than he his. Even though he would not admit it, deep down he knows Samantha Carter is smarter than he is, and the asgards be interpreting and decoding things that Carter don't have a clue about. And they are supposed to be smarter than they are they are an advanced race.

He never claimed to be smarter than Hermiod. He just pointed out that he succeeded wheras Hermoid had not yet even though Hermiod was looking down on him.

Comment

I think it was part intelligence and part dumb-luck he did better tahn the Asgard.
      It feels good to be alive.
      Cause i've been dead for so long.

Comment

Originally posted by superxav
        Even though he would not admit it, deep down he knows Samantha Carter is smarter than he is
        I'd really hate it if either McKay or Carter were painted as being smarter than the other. They should be equal in terms of math ability. It's just what they do with that ability that makes them different. McKay should be the better scientist while Sam is the better field operative.
        sigpic
        http://www.nerdtests.com/ft_space.php

Comment

Yes, we all know that Rodney is super intelligent....he or should I say, the writers won't let us forget it for a minute. Personally, I think tptb are turning a loveable Rodney into an insensitive bore and I don't like it. Jokes every now and again by Rodney about his brain power or by others is great, but this theme seems to occur in every show...Rodney HAS to save the day. Even Sam got breaks, so let's give Rodney some. I'd like to him in an episode where his superior intellect is simply not needed and he can show us another side of his personality, and not the one which eats all the time. Just my opinion.......but I feel like David Hewlett isn't being given scripts worthy of his talent.
          On fighting:
          Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
          Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Comment

Originally posted by Lida
            Rodney HAS to save the day. Even Sam got breaks, so let's give Rodney some.
            Actually, Sam has never been allowed to be wrong or consumed by her flaws (apparently, there aren't any). Whenever she's tried to take responsibility for making a mistake, someone around her rushes to convince her that no, she really IS that perfect.

See Trinity. Sam has never been allowed to make a mistake like that, either scientifically or personally. And I've stopped counting how many times Sam comes up with the fix-it solution in the end. At least McKay has Sheppard poking and proding, getting McKay's creative juices flowing and to solve the problem.
            sigpic
            http://www.nerdtests.com/ft_space.php

Comment

I agree that it is getting a little old. An episode in which he has to look far past his ego and use something other than science or logic to fix something would be nice.

However he is not perfect...he did blow up a whole planet

Comment

Originally posted by Steel Jester
                I agree that it is getting a little old. An episode in which he has to look far past his ego and use something other than science or logic to fix something would be nice.
                And what something would that be? His only asset his is smartness. Without that he would just be an out-of-shape annoying guy following you around, who can't even shoot a gun. The show has limited what Rodney can do by his personality.
                An all new Stargate spinoff presents

Stargate: The B Team

The galaxy just got a whoooole lot crazier!

Comment

I agree that they need to expand the character a little more. I like the tiny bits where Rodney seems to be learning from Sheppard, but they don't show it much.

There are eps where Rodney's smarts don't save the day. Grace Under Pressure, all he could do was stay alive. He couldn't save himself. Sheppard and Zelinka saved him. And he was useless in Coup De'Etat. I'm not sure why he was even on the mission when the Genii would love to get their hands on him, unless Sheppard is trying to train him and they just aren't really showing it.
                  TJ
                  Knowledge is Never Wasted.

Comment

Originally posted by Steel Jester

However he is not perfect...he did blow up a whole planet

Give it time. I mean, this is only the 2nd season. Look at Daniel Jackson and how far he's come. In Camelot (SPOILERS STOP READING)

Daniel starts to try and deactivate the device...but then he's like "Screw it" and shoots the device instead. He would NEVER have done something like that in earlier seasons.

Characters in Stargate don't change in one season...it's a much more complex change over many seasons.
                    It feels good to be alive.
                    Cause i've been dead for so long.

Comment

Originally posted by Chutzpah
                      And what something would that be? His only asset his is smartness. Without that he would just be an out-of-shape annoying guy following you around, who can't even shoot a gun. The show has limited what Rodney can do by his personality.
                      Can you (shoot a gun)? What is this, everyone who wants to be special has to be able to shoot a gun?

He has a lot more going for him. He's someone who, despite his better judgement, will to flee and apparentely, cowardice, will fight for you and help you (The Defiant One).

He ran out there and almost died because he wanted to buy Sheppard some extra seconds of life.

He never gives up, ever. Neither trying to solve the problem or saving people (plenty of times, The Defiant One, The Siege Part I).

He'd lay his life down for the team (countless time, The Siege Part I) and he will sacrifice his own health to save you (The Siege). And he's one of the few people in Pegasus qualified to do what he does.

And he makes mistakes. We all do. It's not "Know everything and solve everything in a flash". It's trial and error.

Sam is just never allowed to make horrendous errors.

Personally, I think McKay is a far better character than Sam. Sam's the perfect little girl who rarely does anything wrong. She's the person who doesn't exist at all. McKay on the other hand, there's plenty of them out there (albeit not as intelligent).

Comment

Back to the original topic for a second, I enjoy the comments between Hermiod and McKay. We know that McKay is the smartest guy on Atlantis and the one that will fix the tech problems - his attitude towards everything is funny and enjoyable to watch. The offset of an Asgard making the snide comments at him is refreshing and great fun because it's all on the premise that no matter what McKay says, everyone knows he's way out of his league with the Asgard.

It's like turning Einstein (McKay with everyone else) into a 5 year old kid who shouts "I know that" at you (McKay with Asgard). Cleverly done, it shows he's still only human.
                        First, please use spoiler tags. If I want to know what happens in the show I'll watch it. Second, if you don't like the show, stop watching it. That way you won't feel the need to complain that a sci-fi entertainment show has "plot holes" or "isn't realistic". There is a difference between commenting on an episode you didn't like and constantly complaining about the series as a whole. After all, why torture yourself by watching something you don't like...

Comment

It's nice to see Rodney humbled once in a while. He needs it or else his head will get way too big.
                          I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

mckay is nowhere near smarter (even as smart as) an asgard. just smarter than an average human. maybe smarter than daniel (sciencewise but not in alterran) but inferior to carter.

Comment

lol Mckay as cool as he can't **** with the Asgard. For one no matter how superior Mckay may feel ahah you can't beat the superior attitude of the Asgard. I know they don't show it often ahah but you can always tell they rub their power in our faces.

A non spoiler example would be Hermiod and Mckay example

A semi spoiler example

sg1 camelot Vasier and Carter exchange.
                              We are followers of eternal Hathor!!

"We are the queen of the Gods, we are the mother of all Gods."

Comment

Working...
                              X