This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I miss Janet!-beware spoilers

Okay, was I the only one missing Janet in "Lockdown"? The new doctor doesn't seem to have much of a personality. I could see Dr. Fraser saying all those line with alot more caring and emotion. Hopefully things will get better or do you think that they are writing this character now as more of a background? I was disappointed in the new doctor.
    Last edited by ES2018; 25 July 2004, 03:08 PM. Reason: spoiler give away
    Beth

SPOILERS for Heroes (S7) and Lockdown (S8)

I agree that the new doc doesn't seem to have much of a personality, but I've been told that I'm far too demanding and that it was ONLY her first appearance and that of course TPTB will develop her character more... if they see fit. *rolls eyes* I'm not saying she should have been doing cartwheels across the floor or bursting into song as she pronounced diagnoses or anything, but some flicker of life beyond toe cold doctory exterior might have been nice. Just a flicker. A little hint of things to come.

Incidentally, you may want to be careful about putting spoilery info in the subject line. Saying "I Miss Janet- beware of spoilers" is all very nice, but if people trapped in syndication (or who are just a season behind) look at that, they're going to go, "I miss Janet?? WTF??! SPOILERS??! What happened?? Is she missing??"

Of course, I think Fraiser's... lack of presence is about as well kept a secret as Daniel's "removal" was, but that doesn't mean there aren't still people who don't know.

*waits for the inevitable "Daniel's removal?? WTF??!"*

Comment

Firstly, you might want to change the title of the thread even though it does have a spoiler warning. It gives a little away just in the title

Yeah, I missed her!
      __

__

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
        I agree that the new doc doesn't seem to have much of a personality, but I've been told that I'm far too demanding and that it was ONLY her first appearance and that of course TPTB will develop her character more... if they see fit.
        Meh... I don't see why they should. It's not like she's a main character or anything. She's a "generic medical doctor" character. Janet was developed beyond that, but for the time being I don't think Brightman is intended to fill that void. She's just there because they needed a doctor for the episode, and I don't see anything wrong with that... For what she was, she had all the personality she needed.
        Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

Guess this will be the last time anyone from the team will be needing a doctor. Goodness knows SG-1 never gets hurt...

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
            Guess this will be the last time anyone from the team will be needing a doctor. Goodness knows SG-1 never gets hurt...
            Yeah, yeah... I know. But this is (probably) the last season. Has any episode spoilers even mentioned Brightman appearing again?

Also, to be perfectly honest - I don't quite understand what you want from her when you say she doesn't have personality. The impression I got from her was that she was a professional dedicated doctor. Really, what more can you ask for in a character who has no emotional ties to any of our main guys (yet)?

My point is simply this: I don't think she needs to be a developed character. Most likely, she will never even have to carry a significant part of a story. I'm not seeing anyone demanding more character development in, say, any of the random airmen our main guys happen to interact with in any given episode. Or, heck, even someone like Siler.

Comment

Originally posted by Ugly Pig
              My point is simply this: I don't think she needs to be a developed character. Most likely, she will never even have to carry a significant part of a story. I'm not seeing anyone demanding more character development in, say, any of the random airmen our main guys happen to interact with in any given episode. Or, heck, even someone like Siler.
              I don't expect her to be developed, unless they get her involved as a love interest of one of the other regulars (please, no!). I'd probably prefer it if she just remained a competent doctor, there to provide exposition when needed. Especially since it's the last season.

It's just that she seemed like such a blank slate, very monotone delivery, no smiling or personal connection. There's a difference between being an undeveloped character and having a personality. Luke wasn't developed but I got a strong sense of his personality in that one scene in "48 Hours". Of course Luke is special.

I think she'll probably show a little more personality in future episodes, although I have to say I'm not sure how many episodes she's scheduled to appear in.

Eek.... I'm getting off the computer. That lightning strike was way too close.
              Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

Originally posted by Kes
                It's just that she seemed like such a blank slate, very monotone delivery, no smiling or personal connection.
                Well, you know... People like that exist.

Comment

I think the show is getting ready to end. We keep losing out on key characters. The entire point of the show is starting to fade. Soon it'll just be "Adventures at the SGC." =/

Comment

I have to agree. We're starting to lose some main characters. Alas Janet and Hammond in one series. A bit much!
                    __

__

Comment

Cuts both ways. If Dr. Brightman was too MUCH like Janet and did the wobble and the smile and the big squirrely look, that'd remind us too much too. So she has to be the opposite, or something else. I like her way of delivery, it's very concise and "professional". Not warm and cuddly but she's her own creature.

Kinda like when a beloved pet dies... and you get a new pet, not to replace that pet because your love for that pet can NEVER be substituted for -- but rather, you have more love to give in this world. If the SGC was completely without a head doc, they'd be in trouble!
                      Lord TorleYu-wong Chong Techno - create a "Window of Opportunity"

get hooked, click here to listen to "The_Autistic_World_of_Torley.mp3" | dialup version
                      more @ torley's techno music and anti-techno music blog

Comment

To me, at least, Brightman is as good as Fraiser was in "The Broca Divide". Then again, I'm one of those few who never considered Janet a major cast member. A major guest star sure, but not a cast member.
                        The opinions of KorbenDirewolf do not necessrily represent the opinions of other male U.S. residents between the ages of 18 and 25.

Comment

Originally posted by KorbenDirewolf
                          To me, at least, Brightman is as good as Fraiser was in "The Broca Divide". Then again, I'm one of those few who never considered Janet a major cast member. A major guest star sure, but not a cast member.
                          You mean to tell me you didn't feel a pang of pain when Janet died? She's awlays been that caring mother figure for the show. Whenever our heroes were hurt, she was always there, patiently waiting to patch up SG-1...

Comment

spoiler for Lockdown...

Originally posted by Kes
                            I don't expect her to be developed, unless they get her involved as a love interest of one of the other regulars (please, no!).
                            Curse you for even suggesting that! Now I'm going to have to avoid even more shippy threads!
                            It's just that she seemed like such a blank slate, very monotone delivery, no smiling or personal connection.
                            I'm with Piggy on this one. I thought she was perfectly developed for the role she had to play in that episode. If you compare her role to Frasier's, you're bound to be disappointed. TPTB know this. It's better that the doctor - any doctor - at the SGC just be professional and competent in the beginning. If it is necessary for plot development, they'll develop her character a little more. If you feel you absolutely must compare Brightman to someone at this early in her development, compare her to Dr. Nimzicki in Season 1's The Enemy Within (although don't compare her to his fate). "Who?" you ask? Exactly.
                            Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
                            O'Neill: Who doesn't?
                            - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
                            - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
                            once done, cannot be undone...
                            brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Comment

Yeah.

They spent a ton of time developing the Russian guy who was just going to die at the end of the episode anyway. Then they give us this passionless doctor who we're probably going to be stuck with for the whole season.

I was just waiting for O'Neill to say something snarky to her monotone blandness like, "Don't get so excited doctor; you're alarming the patients."
                              Fitness Buddies

Comment

Working...
                              X