PDA

View Full Version : Doctor Who News, Articles, Cast and Crew Interviews

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50

morjana
September 4th, 2004, 03:27 PM
From IGN Film Force:

http://filmforce.ign.com/drwho/articles/543/543443p1.html

(Please follow the link for the complete article.)

Are US PBS Stations Losing Doctor Who?
Series may jump to Sci-Fi Channel.

September 03, 2004 - Doctor Who, the series that helped make PBS pledge drives much more interesting while bringing in tons of money in the '80s, may be leaving those stations for good if a deal currently in the works goes through. According to an e-mail sent out by representatives of Maryland Public Television, one of the handful of PBS networks in the US that still runs the series, BBC America is refusing to send any additional episodes to stations which means they can only run the episodes they currently have in house. The reason: BBC is currently in negotiations with the SCI-FI Channel cable network to have an exclusive contract for the series.

|*|(*)|*|(*)|*|

I can see it now...

The SGC commissary.

Jack, Sam, Teal'c and Daniel are having a snack. Jack (red jello), Sam (blue jello), Teal'c (a banana and green jello), Daniel (some cranraisins).

Daniel: So, Dr. Who is on the SciFi Channel tonight at 9.

Jack: Who is?

Daniel: I don't know, Jack. I hope it's Tom Baker though.

Silence

Jack: I thought you said Dr. Who?

Daniel: I did Jack.

Jack: Who is who?

Daniel: I said I don't know Jack. It could be Tom Baker, it could be Peter Davison or...

Jack: Those don't sound like doctors, though.

Teal'c: Indeed not, O'Neill. Doctors McCoy, or Crusher or Bashir -- even Dr. Beckett -- those are all familiar scifi doctors.

Daniel: No, no you don't understand. Dr. Who is the name of the show -- and the character.

Jack: Who is?

Daniel: Yes, Jack.

Jack: Oh. Teal'c -- you gonna eat that banana?

(Sam went and got a second helping of blue jello. Never miss an opportunity to stock up on blue jello.)

|*|(*)|*|(*)|*|

Morjana

SG1-Spoilergate
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/SG1-Spoilergate/

Richard Dean Anderson Fans
http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/rdandersonfans/

DownFallAngel
September 4th, 2004, 04:16 PM
That script cleared up everything!

And was hilarious in the old school jack fashion.

Hohenzollern
September 4th, 2004, 09:44 PM
That would be nice. Get to see Mary Tamm (my fav of the sidekicks) again.

Might somewhat makeup for letting the Trek series slip through their (scifi) fingers and losing them to the Spike Channel, who shows them out of order and at odd times.

Whitster
September 6th, 2004, 12:15 PM
Yeah but is that the rights for the repeats of the old series or the rights to show the new series when it's done?

FieryHands
September 7th, 2004, 05:52 AM
Maybe SciFi can air the episode parts in order, unlike the PBS station I watch. At least they show it and Red Dwarf--I need my weekly fix. I think Scifi might have aired both once upon a time.

KorbenDirewolf
September 7th, 2004, 02:07 PM
hmmm.. maybe I'll get a chance to see if it's as good as I remember from when I was 8 or 9 and local PBS actually aired it.

Hellcat
September 8th, 2004, 07:46 AM
I vote for the Dr. beeing "Sylvester McCoy" - the 7th one :D
The best IMHO :)

greytop
September 8th, 2004, 07:58 AM
I know I'll watch Dr. Who. It was the first British Scifi show I watch on PBS. They stop showing it a long time ago in our PBS station.

I hope they show it from the beginning.

I sort of like the Deleks(sp.) as a bad guy in the series.

LordAnubis
September 8th, 2004, 09:46 AM
I know I'll watch Dr. Who. It was the first British Scifi show I watch on PBS. They stop showing it a long time ago in our PBS station.

I hope they show it from the beginning.

I sort of like the Deleks(sp.) as a bad guy in the series.
So, what kind of Doctor was Doctor Who anyway? MD, JD, PhD, ScD, EdD, DVM, DDS, PharmD, DC? Any clues?

greytop
September 8th, 2004, 09:49 AM
I really don't know but in one episode, I think, he mention that was his name, Doctor.

Remember it has been years since I have seen the show on PBS. So, I may be wrong.

Xzyl
September 8th, 2004, 11:21 PM
So, what kind of Doctor was Doctor Who anyway? MD, JD, PhD, ScD, EdD, DVM, DDS, PharmD, DC? Any clues?
All of the above and many more but I think he majored in temperal enginering.

LordAnubis
September 10th, 2004, 10:19 AM
All of the above and many more but I think he majored in temperal enginering.
That's a lot of schoolin'.

KorbenDirewolf
September 10th, 2004, 11:15 AM
The Doctor was just the Doctor. Like the Master was the Master...

Madeleine
September 10th, 2004, 07:36 PM
Speaking of which, wouldn't Cliff Simon (is that his name?) who plays Baal make a good Master?

Xzyl
September 10th, 2004, 11:38 PM
Speaking of which, wouldn't Cliff Simon (is that his name?) who plays Baal make a good Master?
YES! Start the pettion.

morjana
November 29th, 2004, 09:36 PM
For all of you Dr. Who fans out there:

From SFX Magazine:

http://www.futurenet.com/sfx/features/default.asp?pagetypeid=2&articleid=33061&subsectionid=1201

Photos of Dr. Who Filming in Cardiff.

|*|(*)|*|(*)|*|

Morjana

SG1-Spoilergate

Fans of Joe Flanigan
http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/fansofjoeflanigan/

IMForeman
February 15th, 2005, 05:59 PM
For any members of GWF who are looking forward to the new series of Doctor Who that's been filming... there are some pretty solid rumors floating around about when it will air in the UK and what network in the US may have aquired the airing rights.

The rumor is that it will air March 26th on BBC1 at around 6:45 or 7:00pm with a special called "Doctor Who Confidential" to air on BBC3 immediately after.

As for the US, it's looking like NBC/Universal has aquired the rights for the American broadcast. These are the guys that own Sci-Fi/USA networks, and the skuttlebut is that the new series will air on Sci-Fi with rebroadcasts and the backcatalog to be on USA. No word on when Doctor Who will air in the US, but I'd bet on Summer with SG-1 Season 9, Atlantis Season 2, BSG Season 2.

These are just rumors for now, but Outpost Gallifrey seems to think they are coming form solid sources. Time will tell. I'm really hoping that the info about Sci-Fi is accurate. BBC America would have been a big mistake.

-IMF

greytop
February 15th, 2005, 06:04 PM
I will be looking forward to Dr. Who in the US. If it airs on Scifi maybe they will put the older ones on durning the daytime.

Thanks for infromation, IMF.

yaaayoubetcha
February 16th, 2005, 07:11 AM
if they do make it part of scifi fridays over here, hopefully they'll bump Andromeda into oblivion.

going to dig up my KLF and Orbital albums now....

Elwe Singollo
February 16th, 2005, 02:03 PM
if they do make it part of scifi fridays over here, hopefully they'll bump Andromeda into oblivion.

going to dig up my KLF and Orbital albums now....Andromeda is out the door this year neway, at least according to thefutoncritic.com

Mr Prophet
February 16th, 2005, 02:08 PM
The rumor is that it will air March 26th on BBC1 at around 6:45 or 7:00pm with a special called "Doctor Who Confidential" to air on BBC3 immediately after.

Cool. Must find a TV where I can watch it.

Matt G
February 16th, 2005, 02:26 PM
Early Saturday evenings? Interesting - I'd have thought it would have been perfect for the post Lottery timeslot myself - but that would have put it up against Millionaire - too risky. Fair enough - for the sake of UK scifi it had better be good!

DownFallAngel
February 16th, 2005, 05:39 PM
Now will this be a stand alone series, with some aspects of the original, or will it be a continuation of the original 26 seasons?

yaaayoubetcha
February 17th, 2005, 07:56 AM
Now will this be a stand alone series, with some aspects of the original, or will it be a continuation of the original 26 seasons?

as i understand it, it will be a continuation, but with no need for a history recap...

the history of the Dr Who universe will be there but you won't need the Companions guide or History of Time Travel to get by.

i've read that for the first season they won't strictly speaking be leaning on all the old villains and that while trying to maintain the universe they will be going in their own direction.

Chaka's_Mum
February 18th, 2005, 03:52 AM
What I'm looking forward to (bizarrely) is watching where they've filmed.

This is because BBC Wales are in charge of the revival, and so Dr Who is being filmed in Cardiff, which is where this Unas Matriarch resides. 'Scuse me showing off about it - but I don't get the opportunity to do it very often, so I'm going to enjoy this moment.

Naturally, this has been a source of much amusement to me and my fellow office drones, as the makeup vans and catering bus for the extras have (quite regularly) been clustered in a street alongside our office building. Over the last few months we have, on occasions, looked out of a window and seen groups of aliens standing around having a smoke while they wait for a minibus to transfer them to the set. Surprisingly, this doesn't bother my colleagues; but, as they already work with an Unas, I suppose they're used to that sort of thing by now. Not that I smoke.

We assume that the vans without windows are where they're teleporting them in from the Planet Gargh - or wherever.

:D

IMForeman
March 3rd, 2005, 01:28 PM
{MOD INSERT}

Here is the place you can post links to articles, Reviews, Cast and Crew interviews NOT done by GW. Please remember to post a link as copyrighted material can not be reproduced here.
and just because I am vain :D

Wow thanks TameFarrer !!!!

IGN seems to think so. (http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/592/592429p1.html) So, as of this moment, there are no plans for an American airing of Doctor Who...

:(

-IMF

strivaria
March 3rd, 2005, 01:34 PM
NoooOOoooo! I hope some station on this side of the pond picks it up... all of it. I miss my Doctor Who.

Sela
March 3rd, 2005, 01:58 PM
It used to come on PBS stations all the time. They run a lot of British comedies and programming. Maybe one of those will pick it up again.

IMForeman
March 5th, 2005, 05:06 PM
Having just seen "Rose"... I can say I see where Sci-Fi might be coming from. Uneven is the word here.

-IMF

FurlingChieftan
March 6th, 2005, 07:16 PM
What didn't you like about it? I thought it was cool the autons were great!

fullcircle
March 6th, 2005, 08:52 PM
Can someone summarize Dr. Who for me? I saw only parts of a couple episodes on PBS but it seemed like one of those British shows that wouldn't translate well to American audiences.

Egeria
March 7th, 2005, 02:24 PM
For any Dr Who fans.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/4326005.stm

Madeleine
March 7th, 2005, 03:22 PM
Very British indeed.

The Doctor is a Time Lord who tends to meet with a near-fatal accident which causes him to 'regenerate' into a brand new person every time whichever actor who's playing him wants to leave the show. (There've been about eight or nine now since 1963(ish).)

He travels through time and space in a TARDIS. It landed on Earth in the '60s and took the form of a Police Box (now-obsolete police-only phone booth) to blend in, but the disguise feature broke after that, so it still looks that way. A TARDIS is really huge inside, and the word 'tardis' is now part of the English language meaning anything that's bigger on the inside than outside (like a really decent handbag, or a baby's stomach).

The Doctor is pretty eccentric and generally decent, but his personalities vary wildly depending on which actor's era it is. He's always accompanied by an assistant or two; strays, hitchhikers, fellow travellers and the like. The female ones tended to sprain their ankes lots and need rescuing.

The stories (which were usually told over four episodes) were set in the present day, future or past, and on Earth or other planets. The most famous adversaries were the Daleks (also in the english language now, meaning someone who appears to be programmed and mechanical) which were giant pepperpots on coasters with a sink plunger and an egg whisk for arms. They said "Exterminate! Exterminate!" and all the children watching would hide behind a cushion.

The sets were made of cardboard, air-fresheners painted silver, and bits of tin foil. The costumes were made to a similar standard. It looked great.

I loved it when I was little, and Peter Davison (Doctor #5) was my hero.

DownFallAngel
March 7th, 2005, 03:28 PM
So what's his mission? To travel back in time and just keep an eye on things?

jckfan55
March 7th, 2005, 03:29 PM
I heard many local PBS stations stopped carrying it a long time ago because it became too expensive. I loved the Tom Baker episodes.

IMForeman
March 7th, 2005, 05:18 PM
What didn't you like about it? I thought it was cool the autons were great!

I did like it overall, but it was flawed. The biggest problems are:

1.) The sound mix. There are huge chunks of dialogue that get lost to the music and soundfx, making it difficult to make out at times. This actually could get fixed before the 26th.. they do have time.

2.) The music. Just frelling awful. Loud, blaring, corny, and completely at odds with what's happening onscreen. There are a few auton scenes that should be menacing, but aren't because the music was all bombast and techno. Keff Mcullough wasn't this bad. Wish they'd gotten Mark Ayres.

3.) The pacing. Roses's introduction is rushed. The auton story is rushed. It's all a case of too much in not enough time... but it's a pilot, and barring having made it in 2 parts, I'm not sure what could have been done about it.

That's all just the flaws to my perspective. As for why the Sci-Fi Channel would pass on it... I can just see this being a tough sell to an American network. The fact it's shot on processed video, and it's at times corny humor... unless you're an American who likes British stuff (as I am), it would have been a very tough sell. Visually it won't compare with the likes of the Stargates and BSG.

-IMF

IMForeman
March 7th, 2005, 05:23 PM
So what's his mission? To travel back in time and just keep an eye on things?

"The Doctor is a legend woven through history..."

He doesn't have a mission per se. He just sort of travels through time and space, anywhere there's trouble, and he fights evil and helps things be as they should be. He's sometimes referred to as "Time's Champion."

-IMF

fullcircle
March 7th, 2005, 05:39 PM
The more I read, the less I think this has any chance with American audiences. It makes Farscape seem much more palatable.

DownFallAngel
March 7th, 2005, 05:51 PM
"The Doctor is a legend woven through history..."

He doesn't have a mission per se. He just sort of travels through time and space, anywhere there's trouble, and he fights evil and helps things be as they should be. He's sometimes referred to as "Time's Champion."

-IMF

A simple 'Yes' would have suffied. lol. Thanks man. Aprreciated.

yaaayoubetcha
March 8th, 2005, 11:00 AM
That sucks!

I was really looking forward to new Who. Maybe they'll wise up and take a risk.

FoolishPleasure
March 8th, 2005, 11:07 AM
I'm an American and I loved Dr. Who. . .translated okay with me. ;)

Tom Baker was the best. . had a crush on Peter Davison. Sort of disappeared around here though, sadly.

Allan
March 8th, 2005, 03:13 PM
Dr. Who will air in Canada on April 5 on the CBC. :)

morjana
May 29th, 2005, 11:58 AM
From SF Crowsnest:

DAILY NEWS

Hugo nominees in short fiction categories available online for 2005.

http://www.sfcrowsnest.com/news/arc/2005/nz8070.php

Hugo fiction online
20/05/2005 . Source: Jessica Martin

The organisers of Interaction, the 63rd World Science Fiction Convention, have written in to point out that works nominated in the short fiction categories of this year's Hugo Awards are available online.

To facilitate those who wish to find the online versions, the Interaction Web site now contains a page of links to the various sites where the stories are held.

"The short fiction categories of the Hugo Awards have always been among the most difficult to vote for because the stories are published over the period of a year and in various publications," said Vincent Docherty, Co-Chairman of Interaction. "However, with the coming of the Internet, authors and publishers have increasingly elected to make their nominated works available online, in most cases at no charge. We are delighted that the best work of 2004 is now more accessible, and that members will be able to enjoy all of the stories as well as having a more informed choice when they come to vote."

For more details check out these coordinates: http://www.interaction.worldco*n.org.uk/hugolink.htm

|*|(*)|*|(*)|*|

Free Dr Who E-books

http://www.sfcrowsnest.com/news/arc/2005/nz8086.php

Free Dr Who E-books
15/05/2005 . Source: Jessica Martin

The good old BBC are making some of their out-of-print Doctor Who novels available as free e-book downloads.

They include titles such as The Dying Days By Lance Parkin (can the Eighth Doctor thwart an Ice Warrior invasion?), and Scales of Injustice By Gary Russell (the Silurians come up against a sinister government department).

Check them out over at http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/doctorwho/ebooks/index.shtml

|*|(*)|*|(*)|*|

Morjana

SG1-Spoilergate

Fans of Joe Flanigan
http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/fansofjoeflanigan/

Qasim
August 1st, 2005, 10:45 AM
Doctor Who has topped a poll to find the best British fantasy show. The recently-revived science fiction drama beat comedy classic Red Dwarf into second place in a survey of 4,000 readers of SFX magazine.

SFX magazine editor Dave Bradley told BBC online that Doctor Who was "a great British institution which has entertained people for generations... The recent series has just introduced a whole new generation to the concept and reignited our love for it."

Other series to make it onto SFX's top 10 include cult classic The Prisoner (5), and old favourites such as Blake's 7, Quatermass (7), surely due for a revival in these anxious times1, and The Avengers (9). Most of the places in the list are occupied by genre classics but Channel 4's hip vampire drama Ultraviolet lends the run-down a more contemporary edge. ®

1. Doctor Who
2. Red Dwarf
3. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
4. Blake's 7
5. The Prisoner
6. Sapphire and Steel
7. Quatermass
8. Ultraviolet
9. The Avengers
10. Robin of Sherwood

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/08/01/sf_fantasy_poll/

Metarock Sam
August 1st, 2005, 11:20 AM
Woooooooo
My top 3 fave brit sci fis are at the top 3
Doctor Who, Red Dwarf and The Hitchikers Guide To The Galaxy own all british sci fi. :D :D :D

Bomber
August 1st, 2005, 10:18 PM
Yippee!!! Go the Doctor!! Good to see Quatermass in there too - saw the DVD of the Quatermass trilogy in Dymocks today... Christmas is lookin' good!!

in circles
August 2nd, 2005, 05:44 AM
Glad to see Doctor Who came first and Ultraviolet was in there. Shame they never made a second series of that.

yaaayoubetcha
August 2nd, 2005, 07:17 AM
Robin of Sherwood?

ugh

Willow'sCat
August 3rd, 2005, 01:12 AM
I can't think of a better all round SciFi show than Dr Who. :D

I loved Blake 7 but haven't seen it for many years. Red dwarf / HHGTTG are both funny and brilliant in fact interesting that all top three shows are a mixture of humour and straight SciFi. You guys have great taste. :D

Perriman33
August 3rd, 2005, 11:08 PM
Glad to see Red Dwarf and Dr Who at the top they are so cool. But Sapphire and Steel, wasn't that in the early seventies? I don't ever remember watching repeats of it either. And robin of sherwood hmmmm....are they making it up! :rolleyes:

Madeleine
August 6th, 2005, 03:54 PM
I'm stunned and very happy to see Ultraviolet there, despite only having a single series. (It didn't get cancelled, the people making it just decided not to make a second series. Grrrr.)

Chaka's_Mum
August 10th, 2005, 03:53 AM
Should I be embarrassed to admit that I loved Robin of Sherwood and never missed an episode if I could avoid it?

I plead irresponsible youth - I was in my early teens and didn't know any better. :o

It was superbly loopy though - all that stuff with a dude wearing a stag's head on his bonce and dispensing wisdom while standing in front of a huge spotlight and smoke machine. Add a slightly maniacal/borderline doolally Sheriff of Nottingham and a suitably lunkheaded sidekick, all the requisite stereotype merry men etc. etc.

Mind you, I've caught a few episodes on ITV3 since then, and wondered what on earth I was thinking back when it first aired. :eek:

Mr Prophet
August 10th, 2005, 04:15 AM
Come on; you know Ultraviolet would've gone down the tubes in a second series. I love the fact it took a graceful bow at the end of its run. Didn't the guy direct Dalek? Joe Ahearne, I mean.

They redid Quatermass just this year. BBC 3, live broadcast: fantastic stuff. Had David Tennant in it and all. Love Dr Who, but the new Quatermass knocked the early episodes of this new series into a cocked hat for tension, although Who got its stuff together for The Empty Child, right enough.

morjana
August 24th, 2005, 09:20 AM
From the Visimag/TV Zone Magazine website:

http://www.visimag.com/tvzone/t194_news01.htm

News: Updates
Doctor Who and Angel News

What's happening in the world of Cult TV…
• The BBC have confirmed that the new season of Doctor Who will see the return of robot companion K-9, played once again by John Leeson. The character will appear in Episode Three, School Reunion, alongside Elisabeth Sladen as Sarah Jane Smith.

Who producer Phil Collinson commented on K-9’s return, noting that, "A whole generation fondly remember him as an ever-faithful companion and best friend to Tom Baker's Doctor. I hope the new generation of viewers will fall in love with him in the same way – I'm sure he's going to prove an invaluable help to the Doctor in the fight against intergalactic evil."

School Reunion, which also guest stars Buffy The Vampire Slayer’s Anthony Stewart Head, sees David Tennant’s Tenth Doctor investigating sinister goings-on at a modern comprehensive school, and taking on the evil Krillitanes.

• Doctor Who and Red Dwarf will be coming to an even smaller screen near you, thanks to a licensing deal between BBC Worldwide and ROK Player which is set to see a number of BBC properties released for full-length, full-screen play on mobile phones. Among the initial titles licensed as part of the deal are Doctor Who: The Five Doctors and the Red Dwarf episodes Marooned (Series Three), Quarantine (Series Five) and Cassandra (Series Eight). Other shows are set to be released in coming months; TV Zone will provide details of the upcoming titles as they become available.

• A conclusion to the cliffhanger ending of Angel’s fifth and final season may be in the offing, as news broke on the Whedonesque website that Angel writer/producer Tim Minear is set to pen a TV movie based around the popular character of Spike.

‘I had lunch with Joss [Whedon, Buffy creator] and he asked me if I wanted to write and direct some blond Vampire movie thing’, Minear noted. ‘Should I do it? (I of course said yes right off, still…) Anything under 13 hours scares me. And anything over 13 hours... um. I got nothin.’ Although the news hasn’t been officially confirmed by The WB or Whedon’s Mutant Enemy production house, it seems likely that something’s in the offing.

Spike, the peroxide Vampire played by James Marsters, first appeared on Buffy The Vampire Slayer before making the transition to Angel in Season Five. The actor is currently working on the new season of The WB’s Smallville, playing the classic Superman villain Brainiac.

Catch up on the latest news, in
TV Zone #194

http://www.visimag.com/tvzone/t194_display.htm

|*|(*)|*|(*)|*|

Morjana

Qasim
August 24th, 2005, 12:01 PM
Thank you

yaaayoubetcha
August 25th, 2005, 06:11 AM
News: Updates

• Doctor Who and Red Dwarf will be coming to an even smaller screen near you, thanks to a licensing deal between BBC Worldwide and ROK Player which is set to see a number of BBC properties released for full-length, full-screen play on mobile phones.

Morjana

darn it! i'd much prefer they release it for a mid-sized tv in the US!!!

Metarock Sam
August 25th, 2005, 09:11 AM
but wont the quality be not as good. Why dont we just keep with our dvds much better.

MartoufMarty
August 25th, 2005, 11:02 AM
... A Spike movie?

Really, really, really?

Spiffy! :P

Qasim
September 1st, 2005, 11:58 AM
http://scifipulse.net/Dr_Who/D_Tennent_ONWHO.html

In an exclusive interview for Dreamwatch magazine David Tennant reveals his thoughts on playing the 10 th incarnation of ‘The Doctor’ and reveals why he thinks the Sci Fi Genre is proving so popular with viewers around the world.

One thing that shocked many viewers of the new series was the sudden departure of Christopher Eccelston the 9 th Doctor, and when asked if he would be likely to leave in the same way Tennant is cautious yet also somewhat understanding.

“I’m doing 14 episodes, and we’ll see what happens. It’s 13 episodes plus one Christmas Special.” Revealed David Tennant for DW Magazine. In regard to reports of Tennant having signed a 2 year contract, he makes no mention of that, however with Tennant being somewhat more of a fan of the show than Eccelston was, it maybe safe to assume that he will stick around for awhile if he enjoys the work.

One thing that Tennant has which maybe Eccelston didn’t is a proper understanding of the Doctor Who series, the actor when accepting the role made it very clear that he was a fan of the series during his youth and was more than happy to share his memories of his favourite Doctor Who.

iLemon
September 1st, 2005, 12:04 PM
Thanks for the link, I really hope he stays unlike Chris

Qasim
September 1st, 2005, 12:09 PM
I have a feeling he will

Indum'kra
September 1st, 2005, 12:22 PM
I hope the next series will be cool. They should get K-9, th ecybermen, and to top it off Christopher lee should be brought in to play the master :p
Poor guy, but he does these baddies so well.

yaaayoubetcha
September 2nd, 2005, 08:21 AM
i really hope he'll stay around for a few years at least...and that the support is there for them to keep making new eps for years to come.

christopher lee as the master....i like that idea....

Egeria
September 2nd, 2005, 08:28 AM
christopher lee as the master....i like that idea....

Nah....I prefer the idea of Anthony Head as the master....well he is going to playing the role of a headmaster, why not go all the way.;)

Indum'kra
September 2nd, 2005, 12:09 PM
Nah....I prefer the idea of Anthony Head as the master....well he is going to playing the role of a headmaster, why not go all the way.;)
Lol..imagine if they actualy did that....

Egeria
September 2nd, 2005, 12:25 PM
^ It'd be great...I love AH, and he does 'nasty' so well.:)

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
September 2nd, 2005, 12:39 PM
I think this season (or Series as the English call it) will be quite interesting.

Easter Lily
September 2nd, 2005, 01:37 PM
He looks dopily cute...
I haven't seen him in anything else, so I'm warming up to the idea of him being The Doctor.

I hope he sticks around for at least 3 years... let's not waste anymore regenerations... :p

Egeria
September 2nd, 2005, 03:45 PM
I think this season (or Series as the English call it) will be quite interesting.

I agree, in recent interviews RTD has indicated that there will be more Alien than Earth based eps....should be good.:)

yaaayoubetcha
September 2nd, 2005, 05:14 PM
I agree, in recent interviews RTD has indicated that there will be more Alien than Earth based eps....should be good.:)

That would be nice.

He's always been an explorer. The adventures were always so much better when they had to earn an ally or generally prove themselves a bit.

That said, would be cool to see some UNIT activity going forward.

Egeria
September 2nd, 2005, 05:53 PM
That said, would be cool to see some UNIT activity going forward.

Oh yes, ever since they announced that they were bringing Doctor Who back I've been hoping for UNIT's return. I loved the extra dimension that UNIT brought to the show, heck they are a part of the show. It really would be nice (for continuity's sake) to have them back in some way.:)

Indum'kra
September 3rd, 2005, 05:42 AM
Cybermen, K-9, The Master, UNIT, hot diggity there's a lot of great stuff in Doctor Who that could be brought back. I mean in the last series we took care of the Daleks-and the Daleks delivered-so I think there's no harm in trying to use more stuff. There's a whole Whoverse, a whole lot of threads to tie up. Of course I'm not saying we should just sink into nostalgia and kill off all the good stuff in one series, since not only will Mr. Tennant be around for more than one but remember that we have three more doctors to go through (Doctor who can regenerate 12 times, so that's thirteen different doctors.)

On top of that, I wonder if there'll be a new theme song?

Willow'sCat
September 3rd, 2005, 05:55 AM
He looks dopily cute...
I haven't seen him in anything else, so I'm warming up to the idea of him being The Doctor.

I hope he sticks around for at least 3 years... let's not waste anymore regenerations... :pI agree. He was in Casanova which screened on the ABC not too long ago. Most of this talk should really be in the Dr Who thread. Still any talk is better than none. :D

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y286/ironicfox/90af1c79.jpg

Indum'kra
September 3rd, 2005, 06:36 AM
Luckily we should not have to worry about a poor first episode like Rose...it's sort of an accidental tradition of Doctor Who that the first episode of a new revival of the show is kinda weak, since it's mostly just there to set up the story, which we don't need again.

creed462
September 3rd, 2005, 04:36 PM
I read so much it looks so good, just one things bothers me...... Second season is in production and still no US air date.

Ascended Times.2
September 4th, 2005, 12:23 AM
Drwho'sRose, theres a Dr who thread, mind giving some o' us a link...

Willow'sCat
September 4th, 2005, 12:34 AM
Not at all although by now you probably have already found it. :rolleyes: SciFi fantasy it is here... we also have a Classic Dr Who thread as well. Yippy! :D

Will contain spoilers 2004 etc
http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=10489

Classic series
http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=16867

Metarock Sam
September 20th, 2005, 07:41 AM
Tennants gonna rule as the 10th doctor. I have a suspicion that he may even give Tom Baker a run for his money and try to become the longest regeneration yet.

dosed150
September 20th, 2005, 09:00 AM
so when des the new series start i know theres a two parter over the christms/new year period but when is the series going to actually start

Stricken
September 20th, 2005, 09:08 AM
When it starts!!!

Sorry i couldnt help myself!!!

Major Clanger
September 20th, 2005, 10:42 AM
Should I be embarrassed to admit that I loved Robin of Sherwood and never missed an episode if I could avoid it?

I plead irresponsible youth - I was in my early teens and didn't know any better. :o

It was superbly loopy though - all that stuff with a dude wearing a stag's head on his bonce and dispensing wisdom while standing in front of a huge spotlight and smoke machine. Add a slightly maniacal/borderline doolally Sheriff of Nottingham and a suitably lunkheaded sidekick, all the requisite stereotype merry men etc. etc.

Mind you, I've caught a few episodes on ITV3 since then, and wondered what on earth I was thinking back when it first aired. :eek:

Robin of Sherwood was brilliant - all that Herne the Hunter / Green manstuff was inspired.

Plus who wouldn't love it with Ray Winstone as Will Scarlet?

My favourite, after Dr Who, as a kid was The Tomorrow People. But I also remember a series, maybe only the one, called Sky that came on when Tomorrow People had become Yesterday's People. A boy (alien?) was found nekkid in some woods, and a load of kids looked after him. he had weird eyes.

Anyone?

I am 100% sure that it isn't a figment of my (admittedly vivid) imagination.

Egeria
September 20th, 2005, 10:59 AM
^ not your imagination MC, there's a little clip of the intro here (http://www.tv-ark.org.uk/cult/cultl-z-new.html) (scroll down the page for it) I'd completely forgot about this show, but I remember the creepy music.:D

*edit* MC... THANK YOU :D:D:D

Thanks to your post about "Sky" I've found the most amazing site. I was looking for more info about the show and came across this place (http://www.raretv.co.uk/).

The chap there is doing dvd's of Dennis Potters 'Lipstick on Your Collar'...I'd given up on ever owning this brilliant drama (no way will I pay £30+ for a VHS)
I am so chuffed I could burst.:)

OMG I've just noticed he's doing "The Last Train" as well....:D

Stricken
September 20th, 2005, 11:36 AM
Why should we "love" it!!!

Mr Prophet
September 20th, 2005, 11:55 AM
MC: YOu know of course that Robin of Sherwood and the Tomorrow People are both on DVD now, don't you? Could be an ideal chance to scare...I mean, entertain the gruesomes.

Major Clanger
September 21st, 2005, 09:36 AM
Ohhh the Gruesomes would love the Tomorrow People - for Christmas.

And thank goodness Egeria (you're welcome, btw) found that Sky thing for me. I'd love to see it again.

Reefgirl
September 21st, 2005, 01:38 PM
I loved Robin of Sherwood with both Michael Praed and Jason Connery

I definatly fancied Ray Winstone as Will Scarlett

TheWarrior
September 23rd, 2005, 11:39 PM
I've posted this before in the Doctor Who thread - but as we have a whole folder devoted to the Doctor, I think this impressive boxset deserves it's own topic.

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B0009AK57Y.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Title: Doctor Who - The Complete First Series Boxset
Price: Amazon.co.uk £44.99 - Play.com £44.99
Certificate: 12 years and over
Screen: Widescreen 16:9 Anamorphic
Languages: English - Dolby Digital (5.1)
Additional Languages: Audio description for all episodes
Subtitles: English for the hearing impaired
Duration: 9 hours and 40 minutes (approx)

Special Features:

Audio commentary on every episode, some of which will feature Russell T. Davies, Billie Piper, John Barrowman, Mark Gatiss and Simon Callow

'On Set With Billie': Billie Piper's video diary

'Waking The Dead': Mark Gatiss' video diary

'Destroying The Lair' featurette

Mike Tucker's Mocks Of Balloons' featurette

'Designing Doctor Who' featurette

Laying Ghosts - The Origins Of The Unquiet Dead' featurette

'Dconstructing Big Ben' featurette

'The Adventures Of Captain Jack' featurette

BBC Breakfast interview with Christopher Eccleston

'Making Doctor Who' with Russell T. Davies

Exclusive 'Doctor Who Confidential' disc featuring behind the scenes footage from 'The Christmas Invasion'

Collector's booklet including an introduction from Russell T. Davies
Trailers

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Any new news on the boxset, can be posted in here.

BritAngie
September 24th, 2005, 07:22 AM
I've posted this before in the Doctor Who thread - but as we have a whole folder devoted to the Doctor, I think this impressive boxset deserves it's own topic.

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B0009AK57Y.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Title: Doctor Who - The Complete First Series Boxset
Price: Amazon.co.uk £44.99 - Play.com £44.99
Certificate: 12 years and over
Screen: Widescreen 16:9 Anamorphic
Languages: English - Dolby Digital (5.1)
Additional Languages: Audio description for all episodes
Subtitles: English for the hearing impaired
Duration: 9 hours and 40 minutes (approx)

Special Features:

Audio commentary on every episode, some of which will feature Russell T. Davies, Billie Piper, John Barrowman, Mark Gatiss and Simon Callow

'On Set With Billie': Billie Piper's video diary

'Waking The Dead': Mark Gatiss' video diary

'Destroying The Lair' featurette

Mike Tucker's Mocks Of Balloons' featurette

'Designing Doctor Who' featurette

Laying Ghosts - The Origins Of The Unquiet Dead' featurette

'Dconstructing Big Ben' featurette

'The Adventures Of Captain Jack' featurette

BBC Breakfast interview with Christopher Eccleston

'Making Doctor Who' with Russell T. Davies

Exclusive 'Doctor Who Confidential' disc featuring behind the scenes footage from 'The Christmas Invasion'

Collector's booklet including an introduction from Russell T. Davies
Trailers

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Any new news on the boxset, can be posted in here.

Hmm no stuff on Chris Eccleston? :(

Metarock Sam
September 24th, 2005, 01:50 PM
^ shame about nm on Chris Ecclestone but wow look at all the Extras. OH man this Boxset is going to rock (The sales may also influence BBC DVD into releasing more Dr Who Boxsets.)
Thanks for the info 'The Warrior'

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
September 24th, 2005, 02:04 PM
you know what's a shame, not living in the U.K. If I did, then I could and would buy it.

Metarock Sam
September 24th, 2005, 02:09 PM
Well you could get it from Amazon right?

Metarock Sam
October 8th, 2005, 12:52 PM
i was watching Uktv Gold today and I noticed that theyve jumped eras on Doctyor Who. They went straight from the Sylvestor MCoy era to the Peter Davidson era missing out Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker episodes. I mean Why???? They've shown these era's before so why not now??
I want to start a protest who's with me?

Qasim
October 11th, 2005, 02:27 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/4329474.stm

Sci-fi series Doctor Who has been shortlisted for three prizes at this year's National Television Awards.

The show is up for the most popular drama prize, while stars Christopher Eccleston and Billie Piper have been nominated for best actor and actress.

Deputy-Assistant-Second-Prime
October 11th, 2005, 02:39 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/4329474.stmAwesome! Maybe this will motivate an American broadcaster to pick it up.

AzMcNeil
October 11th, 2005, 02:42 PM
I would have thought we would have gotten a Dr. Who syndication after the mini-series that aired several years ago. The was some of the best Sci-fi I've ever seen. Next to SG :)

Qasim
October 11th, 2005, 02:53 PM
Awesome! Maybe this will motivate an American broadcaster to pick it up.Hopefully - I thought you guys had it but evidently not

Metarock Sam
October 11th, 2005, 03:03 PM
Well I voted Doctor Who as best Drama.

Egeria
October 11th, 2005, 03:08 PM
Great news, though I'm not surprised considering the ratings the show was getting.:D

October 11th, 2005, 03:37 PM
Hopefully - I thought you guys had it but evidently notThe way politics and the mass media currently are here makes Doctor Who a tough sell, IMO.

And that's a shame, because I'm hearing it's been winning over many new fans. I bet it would do well here, but I can't see it getting past the American television executives. They tend to block out any thought-provoking entertainment.

Egeria
October 11th, 2005, 03:43 PM
The way politics and the mass media currently are here makes Doctor Who a tough sell, IMO.

And that's a shame, because I'm hearing it's been winning over many new fans. I bet it would do well here, but I can't see it getting past the American television executives. They tend to block out any thought-provoking entertainment.

It's a crying shame really. :)

I want my favourite show to make it big across the pond *stamps feet*

October 11th, 2005, 03:56 PM
It's a crying shame really. :)

I want my favourite show to make it big across the pond *stamps feet*Well, if this continues, I'm moving to Canada. At least, they're broadcasting it there.

Who has Doctor Who? Let's see...the U.K., Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Korea, Sweden...but not the United States.

I've been waiting 16 years! Garrrggghhh!

Rowana
October 11th, 2005, 05:40 PM
WOOT! Go Doctor Who! Maybe now we'll get it...please! Ah well, I can dream.

AzMcNeil
October 11th, 2005, 06:09 PM
I think I remeber watching it years ago on PBS or some other random channel. From what I remeber it was a great show. It would be nice to see it again...but apparently I have like 10-15 season to catch up on :D

Rowana
October 11th, 2005, 06:20 PM
I think I remeber watching it years ago on PBS or some other random channel. From what I remeber it was a great show. It would be nice to see it again...but apparently I have like 10-15 season to catch up on :D

lol..a few more than that. Great show though, you should try and watch again. Don't worry, it's not like you have to watch them in order.

October 11th, 2005, 07:44 PM
I think I remeber watching it years ago on PBS or some other random channel. From what I remeber it was a great show. It would be nice to see it again...but apparently I have like 10-15 season to catch up on :DThe original series ran for 26 seasons. ;)

TheWarrior
October 12th, 2005, 03:44 AM
Robot wars in Dr Who

Cyberman v Daleks in 1st Dr Who battle

http://img414.imageshack.us/img414/3027/doctorwho016sx.jpg

TV chiefs are plotting a showdown between Dr Who's most fearsome foes - Cybermen and the Daleks.

The Timelord's robot enemies will confront each other for the first time in teh BBC1 sci-fi hit's 42 year history.
The Sun has already revealed the sinister white Cybermen are making a comeback in the next series.

They return for a two-part adventure set on an alternative Earth.

But we can also disclose that they are making a surprise reappearance during the last two episodes as well. And in those shows - called Army of Ghosts - the Daleks turn up too.

An insider said: "It's going to be an explosive end to the series and the fans will love it. It's war."

The Daleks killed the last Dr Who, played by Christopher Eccleston. He regenarated as Casanova actor David Tennant who stars in the new series next spring with sidekick Rose Tyler (Billie Piper).

Exclusive by: Sara Nathan, TV Editor.

http://img427.imageshack.us/img427/1262/doctorwho022mt.th.jpg (http://img427.imageshack.us/my.php?image=doctorwho022mt.jpg)

Rowana
October 12th, 2005, 06:59 AM
Wow. I always wondered what would happen between the two, but I never thought they'd actually do it. I wonder how it will turn out.

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
October 12th, 2005, 09:52 AM
From SciFi Wire:

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire2005/index.php?category=0&id=32815

Who Earns TV Award Noms

The new Doctor Who series has received three nominations for the National Television Awards in the U.K., the BBC news service reported. Stars Christopher Eccleston and Billie Piper were nominated for best actor and actress, while the series will compete in the category of most popular drama.

The winners will be decided by a public vote and announced at a ceremony on Oct. 25. Veteran news anchor Sir Trevor McDonald will host the awards show, to be held at London's Royal Albert Hall.

Qasim
October 12th, 2005, 09:54 AM
Already posted here: http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=18806

Metarock Sam
October 12th, 2005, 10:09 AM
Looks interesting !!!

Willow'sCat
October 16th, 2005, 11:53 PM
The way politics and the mass media currently are here makes Doctor Who a tough sell, IMO.Why? Why would it be a hard sell in the US? I thought if it was to be shown at all it would be on a cable network because a) It is foreign b) It is SciFi and c) It is foreign and SciFi!!:p

I thought cable was the home of these kind of shows in the US.:S Maybe if the BBC can't find a buyer they will relent and show it on the American BBC channel. ;) :)

October 17th, 2005, 11:05 AM
Why? Why would it be a hard sell in the US? I thought if it was to be shown at all it would be on a cable network because a) It is foreign b) It is SciFi and c) It is foreign and SciFi!!:p Broadcasters would want more control over the program. Let's hope that never happens because they would destroy it.

PBS is currently underfunded and under sustained attack by the current administration, because their shows aren't dishonest and one-sided...I mean, "fair and balanced".

Cable is the most likely outlet, but it's still a hard sell.

1.) The new series is only 13 episodes which covers only a quarter of the yearly schedule. This will narrow the scheduling options. They could cover another quarter with the repeats, but they would still need another small series to cover the other half.

2.) Okay, maybe they could show the classic series then? It's doubtful they would show the classic series in the same slot. Probably wouldn't be treated very seriously. Not even the Sci-Fi Channel has much respect for it. Only PBS ever did and right now they can't afford it financially and politically.

3.) The show is British. Most Americans can't imagine how Canadians live, let alone such an exotic culture as the United Kingdom. :rolleyes:

4.) The lead character is effectively a liberal activist (from an American perspective). There is a bisexual character in the new series. Many Americans would get very upset over this. Call you spell homophobia? ;)

5.) Right now there is a major propaganda movement. Radio has almost been completely overwhelmed by ideaology. Television is getting there. Stargate gets by because it's pro-military, but Doctor Who is seriously off-message. Only the film industry seems to be pretty well insulated from political pressures. I mean...have you seen what passes for news in this country? Pathetic, self-congratulatory propaganda.

6.) There are many variables in broadcasting Doctor Who, and there is much risk, so it may not seem worth the trouble. Maybe if the Doctor was a gunslinging Bible-quoting American, it would stand a better chance.

7.) American television target audiences fall into two main categories: the intellectuals and the regular folks.

The intellectuals need to be distracted and confused so their concerns stay on the peripheriary of issues. Otherwise, they might start asking uncomfortable questions.

The regular folks just need to watch some sports or sitcoms and such. These folks, who are the majority, are typically too overwhelmed with everyday real-life concerns to keep abreast of abuses of power that affect their lives. And that's good because they'd be really pissed if they really knew how unfairly they were treated, how the rules of society are stacked against them.

You can't have a Pertwee or Baker coming into their living rooms, making speeches about social justice. That might inspire people...give them funny ideas.

Many countries have an independently-run state-financed channel to provide populist programs and promote populist ideas. Those are the types of channels that Doctor Who does well on. America doesn't have those. The closest thing we have is PBS and right now Bush is using the CPB to hammer them into submission, so they stop reporting politically inconvenient news. Nixon tried the same thing when PBS aired the commission investigating Watergate, but only wound up popularizing it.

If you are wondering where American society is currently at, watch The Sunmakers.

I thought cable was the home of these kind of shows in the US.:S Maybe if the BBC can't find a buyer they will relent and show it on the American BBC channel. ;) :)Maybe, let's hope. I can't wait any longer. I ordered a multi-region player. And I'm ordering the Season 1 region 2 DVD boxset.

Metarock Sam
October 18th, 2005, 01:56 PM
Very good DASP. Couldnt have put it better myself. Have a Green

October 18th, 2005, 03:24 PM
Very good DASP. Couldnt have put it better myself. Have a GreenThanks, I didn't want to get political on this thread, but it was necessary in order to honestly answer the question.

Rowana
October 18th, 2005, 05:43 PM
If you are wondering where American society is currently at, watch The Sunmakers.

That's a good analagy, which is kind of a disturbing thought. Anyway, I sure hope they come up with something soon. I'm sick of waiting because companies are stubborn at admitting it's a good show. *sigh* We've been waiting sixteen years for this...why oh why do they have to make us wait longer? AHHHHH! I can't stand it!!! Ok. Enough of my ranting; it's good to get that out of my system.

Anyway, good discussion guys.:)

TheWarrior
October 19th, 2005, 12:21 AM
Doctor Who Week on UK Gold

Missed the Amazing new series of Doctor Who when it aired on BBC1 & BBC3, you need not worry as UK Gold from Sunday 23rd October will be airing back to back episodes of Doctor Who.

Sunday 23rd October:

7:00pm Rose

8:00pm The End Of The World

9:00pm The Unquiet Dead

Monday 24th October:

7:00pm Aliens Of London

8:00pm World War III

Tuesday 25th October:

7:00pm Dalek

8:00pm The Long Game

Wednesday 26th October:

7:00pm Father's Day

8:00pm The Empty Child

Thursday 27th October:

7:00pm The Doctor Dances

8:00pm Boom Town

Friday 28th October:

7:00pm Bad Wolf

8:00pm The Parting Of The Ways

Metarock Sam
October 19th, 2005, 01:27 AM
Yay more decent tv to watch this half term.
Im going to take the adverts advice 'watch it or die !!!'

TheWarrior
October 21st, 2005, 06:30 AM
Yay more decent tv to watch this half term.
Im going to take the adverts advice 'watch it or die !!!'
I saw those poster advertisments yesterday, came off the M5 motorway and there was a Dalek on a poster telling me to "Watch It Or Die!".

As you say, better take their advice.

Stricken
October 21st, 2005, 08:03 AM
Lets hope they win this award now :D

Stricken
October 21st, 2005, 08:04 AM
Should have got this thread sooner :D

Metarock Sam
October 21st, 2005, 11:53 AM
Im sure we will I mean come on any thickhead who watches Eastenders etc wont know how to vote for it. So Doctor Who winning is practically guaranteed.

Stricken
October 25th, 2005, 05:35 AM
Oh yeah, Im not going to watch them all :( as Stargate gets in the way, but Im going to be watching my favourites !!! :D

Dallista
October 25th, 2005, 10:28 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/4375540.stm

Not sure if this should come with a spoiler warning for the results of the Awards, but if so, this is your warning. ;)

TheWarrior
October 26th, 2005, 05:42 AM
I've noticed now thread on this news, but Dallista has posted this in the award nomination thread, but it's good news so it deserves its own thread.

News:
DOCTOR Who last night exterminated all its competitors to win THREE glittering telly Oscars.
Stunning Billie Piper picked up her first National TV Awards gong — landing Best Actress as the Doctor’s sidekick Rose Tyler.

The 23-year-old was one of a host of gorgeous babes who turned out for the awards at London's Royal Albert Hall.

Co-star Christopher Eccleston scooped Best Actor for his portrayal of the Timelord — but was too ill to appear at the bash.

To top it off, the sci-fi show — which returned with its famous Daleks this year — was also crowned Best Drama.

Who’s hat-trick marked a great night for the BBC as its flagship soap EastEnders sensationally beat ITV1 rival Coronation Street to win Best Soap.

Billie was stunned after beating EastEnders favourites Jessie Wallace and June Brown as well as Corrie star Sally Lindsay and Caroline Quentin.

Shocked Billie fought back tears as she thanked the show’s writer.

She said: “Usually soap stars win everything so I’m shocked, I didn’t think I’d get a snip.”

Christopher, 41, went head-to-head with EastEnders’ Shane Richie and Nigel Harman, plus Corrie’s Bradley Walsh and Doc Martin’s Martin Clunes.

Christopher quit after just ONE Dr Who series. A thankyou speech was read by a pal.

The star-studded audience saw Tory leadership contenders David Davis and David Cameron present the Who gong.

Rowana
October 26th, 2005, 12:56 PM
YES!!! That's awesome!!!!!!!!:D Three cheers for Doctor Who! We all know it's the best!;) Maybe now US companies will pay attention....(please!). Ah well. Congrats to Who!! It's a happy day for fans everywhere!:)

Willow'sCat
October 26th, 2005, 01:17 PM
Hmm, great but Drama? :S O.K I get it maybe this is where the Emmy's go wrong they wont recognise SG-1/SGA as Dramas. :cool:

Aw pity Chris couldn't attend :(

TheWarrior
October 27th, 2005, 02:38 AM
TRIG JOINS WHO

Only Fools star to take on Time Lord with Cybermen

ONLY Fools and Horses star Roger Lloyd-Pack is to join the cast of Doctor Who for the new series, it was revealed last night.

The actor - Trigger who always called Rodney "Dave" in the classic BBC sitcom - will be a baddie in a two-part story with the Time Lord's long-standing enemies the Cybermen.

And EastEnders actress Tracy-Ann Oberman is joining a long line-up of guest stars set to appear on the hit sci-fi show. She will also play a villain.

http://images.icnetwork.co.uk/upl/m2/oct2005/5/2/0004010E-7983-1360-B1370C01AC1BF814.jpg

Lloyd-Pack, 61, is to star as John Lumic, a human who becomes the Doctor's arch enemy - and last night an insider said: "We're really thrilled to have signed Roger.

"It's a great coup for the show and the viewers will love him. The character is a million miles from Trigger."

He will star alongside the new Time Lord David Tennant with whom he has just worked on the forthcoming Harry Potter movie.

In the Goblet of Fire, Lloyd-Pack plays magical ministry official Barty Crouch and Tennant is his evil son Barty Crouch Jnr. Meanwhile, Oberman, 36, who bows out as Albert Square's scheming murderess Chrissie Watts at Christmas, starts filming as evil Yvonne Hartman next week.

She said: "It's a great role. Yvonne is a sophisticated sort of baddie. In fact, I don't think she's really that bad - but then I didn't think Chrissie was either."

The show source added: "Tracy-Ann has proved what a great villain she is by killing her husband Den in EastEnders and trying to pin the blame on everyone else.

"She is perfect to play evil Yvonne and will be brilliant at terrorising the next generation of viewers."

There are a string of guest stars lined-up for the second run of the hit sci-fi series including Thunderbirds beauty Sophia Myles, Shirley Valentine actress Pauline Collins and Buffy star Anthony Head. Christopher Eccleston quit after one series but Billie Piper, who played his sidekick Rose, will return.

The pair picked up gongs for best actor and actress for their roles at the National TV Awards on Tuesday. Doctor Who also won best drama.

Lloyd-Pack is not the first Only Fools actor to appear on the show.

John Challis, who played Boycie, was villain Scorby in The Seeds of Doom, a six-part installment from 1976 starring fourth Doctor Tom Baker.

Since breaking into acting in the 1960s, Lloyd-Pack has performed more in serious dramas than comedies.

His long TV career includes Dalziel and Pascoe, The Naked Civil Servant, Archer's Goon, The Gravy Train, Oliver Twist, Born and Bred and Longitude.

Roger has also featured in a number of movies. One of his first roles was in John Fowles' The Magus and then The Go-Between starring Julie Christie, Edward Fox and Alan Bates.

He went on to have roles in Fiddler on the Roof, 1984, The Cook, the Thief, His Wife and Her Lover, Interview with the Vampire and American Friends.

The London-born actor is married to poet and dramatist Jehane Markham. His daughter is actress Emily Lloyd.

Qasim
October 27th, 2005, 03:46 AM
Yes Yes Yes

Metarock Sam
October 27th, 2005, 12:33 PM
Rock on Doctor Who gets Trig man thats the best news Ive had in a while. This season keeps getting better and better !!!:)

Metarock Sam
October 27th, 2005, 12:47 PM
Shame about Chris not attending but yay Who got the awards. Then again I always knew theyd win at least some awards. Its so great !!!

Simonthefurling
October 27th, 2005, 01:23 PM
Very good, thank god those rubbish soapies didnt win :D

TheWarrior
October 28th, 2005, 11:41 PM
I recieved an email from sendit.com regarding new DVDs etc and they are selling the Doctor Who boxset cheaper than Play.com.

Sendit.com (http://www.sendit.com/dvd/list/doctorwho) are selling the boxset for £42.99, wheras Play.com are selling the boxset for £44.99

Reefgirl
October 29th, 2005, 01:39 AM
I agree, who classes Soaps as drama, ham acting yes, drama no

srg
October 30th, 2005, 01:56 AM
I agree, who classes Soaps as drama, ham acting yes, drama no

To be honest I think people need counceling after watching Eastenders as it's sooo depressing. If I lived in that world I'd proably end it all...

Reefgirl
October 30th, 2005, 02:24 PM
Which is why I never watch it, I have got into Emmerdale *Hangs head in shame*

My Mum watches it

Metarock Sam
November 2nd, 2005, 04:14 PM
o.O Thats interesting.
IF we wanted to we could wait till january sales and then it will be very very very very cheap.

TheWarrior
November 2nd, 2005, 10:43 PM
Play.com have also dropped the price to around £42.99.

Price War Has Begun for Christmas!

TheWarrior
November 3rd, 2005, 01:46 AM
Dr Who Xmas time lord

THE BBC are out to exterminate ITV on Christmas Day with a Doctor Who special.
And to complete a three-hour telly fest they will serve up TWO helpings of EastEnders.

New Dr Who star David Tennant is expected to draw a huge audience for his debut as the Timelord.

And EastEnders bosses are hoping for mega viewing figures when stars Shane Richie (Alfie Moon) and Jessie Wallace (Kat Slater) bow out of Albert Square.

View the full article regarding other X-Mas UK shows here (http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2005510147,00.html)

Stricken
November 3rd, 2005, 03:16 AM
Thanks The Warrior

Dallista
November 3rd, 2005, 04:02 AM
I don't think I've ever been cared so much about X-mas as this year. The wait is unbearable!

flippy18
November 3rd, 2005, 06:43 AM
Dr Who on Xmas Day - :D
Double helping of Eastenders - :S

Billz
November 3rd, 2005, 07:33 AM
As the daleks would say - 'ITV is an enemy of the daleks! They will be destroyed! Exterminate! Exterminate! EXTERMINATE!'

The Signal
November 3rd, 2005, 08:18 AM
Yay for X-mas but does alfie moon have to EXTERMINATE himself?

iLemon
November 6th, 2005, 04:18 AM
Dr Who and Eastenders! Yay!! :D *jumps with joy* EE better not be a disappointment, its improved since Phil and Grant came back but can go downhill just as easily :S

Willow'sCat
November 7th, 2005, 12:40 AM
Dr Who Xmas time lord
THE BBC are out to exterminate ITV on Christmas Day with a Doctor Who special. Well I never expected it to screen on Christmas Day is this a normal thing in the UK to have major shows screen episodes on Christmas Day? :S I guess in Australia it is so hot (usually) that no one stays indoors long enough to watch TV. :p :D Yea! So I want have to um, wait too long then. :p

The Signal
November 7th, 2005, 07:20 AM
Are you kidding? If there is a good film that a channel has to show, or a good storyline, they play it on X-mas. It is a little sad really, that they only care about one days worth of ratings enough to show good programmes one day a year, its like their own X-mas number 1 but with ratings rather than sales and downloads

Willow'sCat
November 9th, 2005, 07:56 PM
Are you kidding? If there is a good film that a channel has to show, or a good storyline, they play it on X-mas. It is a little sad really, that they only care about one days worth of ratings enough to show good programmes one day a year, its like their own X-mas number 1 but with ratings rather than sales and downloadsNo not kidding at all. :S Australian TV is pretty much in hiatus during Summer not many new shows are screened, less new episodes and hardly ever any good movies.

We really do go outdoors in Summer,:D also a lot of people take their holidays (6-8 weeks school holidays) during this time. It is also a non-ratings period full stop and even with Pay TV (Cable) you tend to get a lot of repeats or just really bad TV. :rolleyes: Oh and just on Christmas Day you often get 30+ degrees Celsius days so TV watching is not what people are doing.

Willow'sCat
November 9th, 2005, 08:42 PM
So do we know exactly how long this episode is going to be and how long before the new series starts proper? Sorry if it has been asked before but I haven't heard anything solid on it's UK screening. :cool:

The Signal
November 10th, 2005, 07:42 AM
Its an hour long, and I would think that the new series begins in March

Nightingale
November 10th, 2005, 07:46 AM
march is too far away :(

yaaayoubetcha
November 10th, 2005, 08:26 AM
is this going to be region2 only?

or will be region free?
anybody know?

BritAngie
November 10th, 2005, 09:23 AM
is this going to be region2 only?

or will be region free?
anybody know?

It will be region 2. :)

shazzboy
November 10th, 2005, 02:15 PM
It will be region 2. :)

also region 4. we in ozstrayalya will be getting an exact copy of the UK release on 01/12. we usually do exact copies of UK programmes anyway, guess it would cost too much money to come up with an entirely new one. i am however disappointed that there arent any deleted scenes on the special feautures, unless they havent been mentioned?

AzMcNeil
November 10th, 2005, 02:45 PM
Stupid american here :D How much is £42.99 in American dollars...I haven't seen this show in years and this sounds like quite a steal :D

Missster.Freeman
November 10th, 2005, 05:38 PM
Stupid american here :D How much is £42.99 in American dollars...I haven't seen this show in years and this sounds like quite a steal :D

It will be about 74.89 US dollars, that's without shipping fees. Looks quite cool with the box looking like the TARDIS. Would buy it myself, but I've got my eye on the Babylon 5 boxset.

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
November 17th, 2005, 04:41 AM
From SciFi Wire:

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire2005/index.php?category=0&id=33306

BBC Won't Confirm Who Report

The BBC has declined to comment on a report in the tabloid Daily Mirror that Doctor Who star Billie Piper was going to quit before the third season begins, according to the BBC News (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/4431260.stm) Web site. The Mirror, citing anonymous sources, reported that Piper, 23, who plays the Doctor's sidekick, Rose Tyler, quit the British TV show to avoid being typecast.

TheWarrior
November 19th, 2005, 12:13 AM
Only two days to go till the boxset is released.

I have a funny feeling I may be recieving this as a Christmas Prezzie :D

in circles
November 19th, 2005, 03:16 AM
Mine came in the post this morning. Wahey! :D

TheWarrior
November 24th, 2005, 04:54 AM
DR HO-HO ..OH

EARTH is invaded by a gang of evil Santas in a Dr Who Christmas special - but the hero can't help as he is in the middle of regeneration into the new doctor.

Actor David Tennant is flat on his back and barely conscious as he makes his debut at the 10th Timelord.

It is left to his assistant Rose Tyler, played by Billie Piper, to save the world from the menacing Santas.

Viewers will see Earth threatened by a monstrous race called the Sycorax, who have stolen a British space probe, in a story called The Christmas Invasion.

After Dr Who collapses outside the Tardis and is packed off to bed, Rose and her boyfriend Mickey, played by Noel Clarke, go Christmas shopping.

But as they browse in a market, they find themselves under attack by a sinister brass band of deadly masked Santas. Pictures of the gang appear in a behind-the-scenes special on the Doctor Who DVD box set, which went on sale this week.

On the DVD, show producer Phil Collinson reveals: "The Santas form a four-piece band and each instrument becomes a lethal weapon.

"There is a tuba with a flame thrower in it, two trumpets that fire bullets and a trombone that fires mortars."

However, one of the Santas comes a cropper when a giant High Street Christmas tree falls on him.

More trouble brews at the Tyler home where Rose's mum Jackie and Mickey have to fend off a killer Christmas tree while Rose desperately tries to wake the doctor.

Director James Hawes said: "The Christmas Invasion is about mankind's first experience of a threat of an alien landing on the planet.

"The real twist is that the doctor is in the middle of regeneration - and he ain't there to save us."

The Sycorax leader is played by Sean Gilder, who appeared as Styles in ITV drama Hornblower and Jols in movie King Arthur.

Scottish actor Tennant took over as Dr Who after Christopher Eccleston quit the role. He said the cast and crew had gone out their way to make his debut easier.
Tennant joked: "I'm getting there and I'm coping with it. So far I'm doing a damn fine job of being unconscious - I'd say it's my finest work. I have had a great time so far - it's been great, very friendly with a very welcoming atmosphere."

The Christmas Invasion will be shown as BBC1's flagship drama on Christmas Day. Collinson added: "We've also been commissioned to make a Christmas special for 2006. "So we would hope this is going to become the norm for the next couple of years."

creed462
November 24th, 2005, 08:11 AM
I hope the Doctor is up to form by the end of the ep.... Now the only question is when we will see it here.

Willow'sCat
November 27th, 2005, 06:14 PM
also region 4. we in ozstrayalya will be getting an exact copy of the UK release on 01/12. we usually do exact copies of UK programmes anyway, guess it would cost too much money to come up with an entirely new one. i am however disappointed that there arent any deleted scenes on the special feautures, unless they havent been mentioned?Yeah it has the what? 13 episodes but it costs a bomb! :eek: O.K so it is supposed to include quite a few extras but no Chris commentaries :S is that still right? I have seen it advertised (pre order) for 109 bucks! That puts it in the very high Boxset range here in Australia T.A.R.D.I.S cover or not it is steep.
20eps of SGA was $75 for instance, yeah I will still buy it :D but I will grumble about the price. :p

Easter Lily
November 27th, 2005, 07:13 PM
Yeah it has the what? 13 episodes but it costs a bomb! :eek: O.K so it is supposed to include quite a few extras but no Chris commentaries :S is that still right? I have seen it advertised (pre order) for 109 bucks! That puts it in the very high Boxset range here in Australia T.A.R.D.I.S cover or not it is steep.
20eps of SGA was $75 for instance, yeah I will still buy it :D but I will grumble about the price. :p
Everything from the UK costs a bomb... that's the nature of the beast... If the ABC does their own version, we might see a slight price reduction... I am hoping that the ABC will do a local version with all the bells and whistles in it but I doubt that I'll be getting it for quite a while yet. The Atlantis boxset set me back $70AUD...

IMForeman
November 27th, 2005, 07:15 PM
Has any of my fellow Americans recieved this yet? I've ordered mine from Amazon.Uk, and I still have not gotten it.

Willow'sCat
November 27th, 2005, 11:14 PM
Everything from the UK costs a bomb... that's the nature of the beast... If the ABC does their own version, we might see a slight price reduction... I am hoping that the ABC will do a local version with all the bells and whistles in it but I doubt that I'll be getting it for quite a while yet. The Atlantis boxset set me back $70AUD...Yes but you live on the Mainland. :p ;) I always pay more for these things.

Did I say $109? I don't know where I got that from because the ABC shop has it as $150.95!!! *.95 yes lets not forget the .95 cents* :p

http://shop.abc.net.au/browse/product.asp?productid=734716

What the ****. That is way too much for the equivalent of half a series of any other show, what is the BBC thinking? Oh that's right lets make lots of money out of the die hard fans. Is this really worth that much? And why does it state it is limited edition? I thought it was a normal version of the box set. Is it because it is LE that it is so pricey then? :S At least it has the DW confidential specials we didn't get to see them here. I guess if you add up all the single volumes it is much the same price but still wow! :eek:

So UK fans is this the same as the UK version? :cool:

in circles
November 28th, 2005, 03:58 AM
Yup, that's exactly the same.

TheWarrior
November 28th, 2005, 07:48 AM
'Daleks Do Not Do Porn!'

Dr Who's most deadly enemies, the Daleks, have taken time off from taking over the universe to star in a porn film.

View the article on Sky News Website here (http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-13471117,00.html)

* Beware - Sun Newspaper Article Has Images!*

View the Sun Newspaper article here (http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2005550115,00.html)

Egeria
November 28th, 2005, 07:58 AM
Thanks for the links....sooo funny.:D

iLemon
November 28th, 2005, 09:20 AM
I really dont know what to say to that :S

in circles
November 28th, 2005, 09:35 AM
Katy Manning would disagree. ;)

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
November 30th, 2005, 09:52 AM
From SciFi Wire:

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire2005/index.php?category=0&id=33462

Doctor Who Hits U.S. As DVD

The BBC told SCI FI Wire that it will release the complete first season of the new British SF TV series Doctor Who on DVD in the United States on Feb. 14, 2006, offering Americans their first official look at the hit U.K. show. BBC Video will release Doctor Who: The Complete First Series with all 13 of the first-season episodes, starring Christopher Eccleston as the immortal Timelord and Billie Piper as his sidekick, Rose, as well as more than four hours of extras. The DVD set will carry a suggested retail price of $99.98.

IMForeman
November 30th, 2005, 11:29 AM
That Suggested Price is just plain stupid. The box set will bomb at that price.

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
November 30th, 2005, 01:03 PM
That Suggested Price is just plain stupid. The box set will bomb at that price.
It is stupid, however I plan to buy it at Walmart, since it might cost 10 bucks less than the price suggested.

creed462
November 30th, 2005, 04:10 PM
I know, but we can't let it bomb! If we want a bradcast for the next season that is

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!

Willow'sCat
November 30th, 2005, 04:17 PM
That Suggested Price is just plain stupid. The box set will bomb at that price.Why not release the single volumes first? :S They released them in Australia not sure how they did I didn't buy them because I want the box set but in the US it would make more sense to release the volumes to get people interested.

I can believe how much the BBC is charging for the box sets! :eek:

CatGoddess
November 30th, 2005, 05:30 PM
I'm glad the DVDs are being released to the US... but no way am I paying $100 for a boxset with only 13 eps. If I can find it for a reasonable price, then I'll buy it.

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
November 30th, 2005, 05:37 PM
I'm glad the DVDs are being released to the US... but no way am I paying $100 for a boxset with only 13 eps. If I can find it for a reasonable price, then I'll buy it.
;) Try Walmart (I got the SG-1 Season 8 box set there for $10 off) ;)

Xzyl
November 30th, 2005, 09:59 PM
I think I will let the video store buy it and I will just rent it from them.

Billz
November 30th, 2005, 10:49 PM
For cheap prices, keep an eye out on ebay.com Or just get an imported region 2 version for less then half the price from the british ebay or amazon sites.

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
December 1st, 2005, 04:34 AM
From SciFi Wire:

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire2005/index.php?category=0&id=33481

Who Will Hit U.S. TV

Burton Cromer—vice president of BBC Direct, which is releasing the first season of the British SF series Doctor Who on DVD—told SCI FI Wire that the BBC made the unusual decision to release the DVD in the United States before the show had found a broadcast outlet there. But he added that the show will find its way onto American TV, one way or another.

creed462
December 1st, 2005, 07:48 AM
We'll see, maybe it will be cheaper.

creed462
December 1st, 2005, 07:59 AM
That will be cool, but I will settle for geting the dvds

TheWarrior
December 2nd, 2005, 04:39 AM
Watch the first clip now and tonight on BBC One of "The Christmas Invasion".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/

A new preview teaser next week and no doubt the week after that.

yaaayoubetcha
December 2nd, 2005, 07:58 AM
can't wait for the DVDs.

hopefully closer to 2 months than 3 after the UK release...i want them before spring!!

i guess it would be too much to ask for them to cut a broadcast deal and just skip right to the Tennant series...

yaaayoubetcha
December 2nd, 2005, 08:07 AM
well really...the plunger and blaster really do make them suitable for porn if galactic domination ever fails....

IMForeman
December 2nd, 2005, 03:36 PM
can't wait for the DVDs.

hopefully closer to 2 months than 3 after the UK release...i want them before spring!!

i guess it would be too much to ask for them to cut a broadcast deal and just skip right to the Tennant series...

The DVD's are slated for February 14th. A Valentine's release.

creed462
December 2nd, 2005, 07:08 PM
Not much, but when will we americans get to see it.

TheWarrior
December 3rd, 2005, 01:23 AM
The BBC have uploaded some images from The Christmas Invasion

Click here (http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/gallery/2006_x/index.shtml) to view them.

The Signal
December 3rd, 2005, 01:25 AM
Cool, still not much to go by though, cant wait to see this

The Signal
December 3rd, 2005, 01:27 AM
They are doing this to be mean :( just teasing us with the tinyest tidbits of info. Really cant wait now!!!

Missster.Freeman
December 3rd, 2005, 06:10 AM
Huh? That was it? A spinning Christmas tree! :confused:

Mind you, it will be all the better for us viewers if they don't give too much away. There's far too many spoilers these days, especially for Stargate.

Easter Lily
December 4th, 2005, 03:36 AM
Surprised to see that Jackie and Mickey are still going to be part of an ongoing arc... Not a bad thing... Nice to see some continuity happening with the people that Rose left behind.

yaaayoubetcha
December 4th, 2005, 11:50 AM
hopefully some of the bigger online retailers will have discounted pre-sale prices.

however, this release will be test. it's a jacked up price but if it doesn't sell, it's an indicator that the market isn't in the US for ongoing Who.

BBC themselves said it that they're only releasing it in the US to try and offset illegal downloading or copying and shipping of video from countries that have it to countries that don't.

Personally, I think the the mention of being in negotiation with SCIFI or anybody else to carry Who is a smoke screen and all they're doing is trying to recoup losses from not having the show in the US market for initial broadcast and downloading.

Hopefully I'm wrong on that, but I've heard nothing since the release of the Eccleston run to indicate that any US carrier is really interested in Who. Even PBS, the longtime carrier didn't want to pick it up.

Lord Shiva
December 4th, 2005, 12:35 PM
$99 for 13 episodes? lol

creed462
December 4th, 2005, 02:33 PM
I am going to look for a good price, but I'll get it sooner or later.

IMForeman
December 4th, 2005, 04:40 PM
hopefully some of the bigger online retailers will have discounted pre-sale prices.

however, this release will be test. it's a jacked up price but if it doesn't sell, it's an indicator that the market isn't in the US for ongoing Who.

BBC themselves said it that they're only releasing it in the US to try and offset illegal downloading or copying and shipping of video from countries that have it to countries that don't.

Personally, I think the the mention of being in negotiation with SCIFI or anybody else to carry Who is a smoke screen and all they're doing is trying to recoup losses from not having the show in the US market for initial broadcast and downloading.

Hopefully I'm wrong on that, but I've heard nothing since the release of the Eccleston run to indicate that any US carrier is really interested in Who. Even PBS, the longtime carrier didn't want to pick it up.

The reason PBS or Sci-Fi or whoever else they showed it to didn't pick it up is this: cost. BBC-WA was asking for WAY more than any network here was willing to pay for an untested property in which they have no financial stake. They essentially priced themselves out of the market.

Now they are compounding the problem by overcharging gfor the DVD set, just because they think they can. The only thing this all shows was that the BBC has absolutely no understanding of the US market. They could have gotten Doctor Who onto a US network like Sci-Fi by offering a bargain price for series 1, subject to renegotiation if it did well. They could have created a backdoor market with the DVD release, if they hit that magic $45 "blind buy" price. They chose not to. They like to come up with one pricing the shop to all markets equally, which to my mind is just flat out lazy. It requires no market research.

Willow'sCat
December 4th, 2005, 06:02 PM
The BBC have uploaded some images from The Christmas Invasion

Click here (http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/gallery/2006_x/index.shtml) to view them.Ooh yes pretty pictures and nice that they have a few of David still wearing Chris's Jacket. I have one as my Wallpaper, the T.A.R.D.I.S looks great as a Wallpaper but I have the one with the Dr, Rose and the T.A.R.D.I.S and the snow. :D

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
December 4th, 2005, 06:32 PM
Cool, still not much to go by though, cant wait to see this
agree with ya there.

December 4th, 2005, 07:36 PM
The reason PBS or Sci-Fi or whoever else they showed it to didn't pick it up is this: cost. BBC-WA was asking for WAY more than any network here was willing to pay for an untested property in which they have no financial stake. They essentially priced themselves out of the market.

Now they are compounding the problem by overcharging gfor the DVD set, just because they think they can. The only thing this all shows was that the BBC has absolutely no understanding of the US market. They could have gotten Doctor Who onto a US network like Sci-Fi by offering a bargain price for series 1, subject to renegotiation if it did well. They could have created a backdoor market with the DVD release, if they hit that magic $45 "blind buy" price. They chose not to. They like to come up with one pricing the shop to all markets equally, which to my mind is just flat out lazy. It requires no market research.I completely agree.

It's like they think, "Of course it'll do well...it's Doctor Who. So why shouldn't we charge that much?" Not realizing most Americans don't even know what Doctor Who is.

Think about it...what audiences are they targetting?

The show was cancelled 16 years ago.

Most PBS stations stopped playing it ten years ago.

The 1996 movie bombed.

Most of the younger audiences haven't been exposed to it, except through the odd family member.

So they targetting young people who don't even know it exists and older audiences that watched PBS in the 80's and 90's.

Plus, there is a serious culture gap between the United States and...well, every other nation on the planet. Hell, many Americans think Canada is a quasi-communist nation.

The British accents alone will make many people change the channel.

"Hey...why are they talking funny? They're foreigners! They shouldn't show life outside our borders or challenge us with new ideas...it's unpatriotic!"

I'm not sure the BBC couldn't even pay the American broadcasters to air it in today's society.

Willow'sCat
December 4th, 2005, 11:08 PM
I think they should have released it just as the episodes, 13 eps at say $35/45 at least some people who may know of the show say from being on GW could buy it but at the ridiculous price only die hard fans will really fork out that kind of money. :cool:

Willow'sCat
December 5th, 2005, 03:57 AM
I really dont know what to say to that :SSexterminate! lol :p

Wow some folk are just wrong. :eek: Why are they blue? *Oh right* :p

shazzboy
December 5th, 2005, 12:03 PM
Yes but you live on the Mainland. :p ;) I always pay more for these things.

Did I say $109? I don't know where I got that from because the ABC shop has it as $150.95!!! *.95 yes lets not forget the .95 cents* :p

http://shop.abc.net.au/browse/product.asp?productid=734716

What the ****. That is way too much for the equivalent of half a series of any other show, what is the BBC thinking? Oh that's right lets make lots of money out of the die hard fans. Is this really worth that much? And why does it state it is limited edition? I thought it was a normal version of the box set. Is it because it is LE that it is so pricey then? :S At least it has the DW confidential specials we didn't get to see them here. I guess if you add up all the single volumes it is much the same price but still wow! :eek:

Yep it is one expensive bugger!!!!! its listed as $150, but i think you will be able to get it for about $120 at BIG W. They usually have things for around that price. the BBC makes good shows in my opinion, however they have very little understanding of the profit making side of the entertainment industry considering its a govt corp. they always release things expensive, small and with very little added value. they need to get a new marketing dept in my view.

creed462
December 6th, 2005, 12:33 PM
They need to learn how to cut prices.

Whitster
December 6th, 2005, 03:48 PM

Now they are compounding the problem by overcharging gfor the DVD set, just because they think they can. The only thing this all shows was that the BBC has absolutely no understanding of the US market. They could have gotten Doctor Who onto a US network like Sci-Fi by offering a bargain price for series 1, subject to renegotiation if it did well. They could have created a backdoor market with the DVD release, if they hit that magic $45 "blind buy" price. They chose not to. They like to come up with one pricing the shop to all markets equally, which to my mind is just flat out lazy. It requires no market research.

Thing is BBC can't really afford to sell on it's biggest IPs on the cheap. I dunno if any of you from america know but the BBC is funded directly from the British public, not via advertising or subscription but TV licencing. Which means anyone who watches TV in the UK has to pay for the upkeep of the BBC.

Now DW was a big production by our TV standards, and probably took a large chunk of the BBCs budget to make. Now the idea of the licencing fee is that if everyone pays it the BBC will funnel it into making programs for all demographics. So obviously DW needs to offset it's huge production costs by making it's money back through other markets, whether thats selling the program to forigen networks or DVD sales. It has to recoup money otherwise we could see budget cuts for the show, possibly making it look like it's earlier series:D .

Besides it's not like $100 is alot considering the boxset is 60 quid over here anyway, besides you know if you hold out buying it buy the time the 2nd series has finished it'll be about half price in a summer sale somewhere.

December 6th, 2005, 05:25 PM
Thing is BBC can't really afford to sell on it's biggest IPs on the cheap.Then most likely, it isn't going to get purchased at all.

As far as the broadcast rights go, the BBC can't really expect much enthusiasm from the American broadcasters for reasons I already mentioned.

I dunno if any of you from america know but the BBC is funded directly from the British public, not via advertising or subscription but TV licencing. Which means anyone who watches TV in the UK has to pay for the upkeep of the BBC.I wish we did it that way too, but we don't.

I think Doctor Who has the potential to do okay (1 to 2 million viewers without aggressive targeting maybe) in the U.S. because there has long been a disconnect between broadcasters and viewers, but it's still a big risk and the most important thing is to get their foot in the door of the market. It's these television executives who are the real hurdle. Give me a good reason why they should bother, because I sure can't think of one...certainly not one they would believe.

I don't know if you know how American television works, but it has nothing to do with providing a public service. It's all about maximizing profits. The culture of American broadcasters is the very antithesis of the message of Doctor Who. So, right from the get-go you've got a conflict of interests.

I can't imagine those executives purchasing a British series...they're too insular and so are many Amercian viewers. You know, to us Doctor Who is wonderful magical thing. To them, it's an unmarketable commodity.

Now DW was a big production by our TV standards, and probably took a large chunk of the BBCs budget to make. Now the idea of the licencing fee is that if everyone pays it the BBC will funnel it into making programs for all demographics. So obviously DW needs to offset it's huge production costs by making it's money back through other markets, whether thats selling the program to forigen networks or DVD sales. It has to recoup money otherwise we could see budget cuts for the show, possibly making it look like it's earlier series:D.Doctor Who hasn't recouped its investment with being sold to Australia, Canada, New Zealand, South Korea, and Sweden? I wasn't aware of that.

In any case, to make it profitable in America, they need to market it. Personally, I agree with the previous poster that discounting the price of the first season is the way to do it. Get the American audience hooked first. Then sell the merchandise and up the price of the second season.

Besides it's not like $100 is alot considering the boxset is 60 quid over here anyway, besides you know if you hold out buying it buy the time the 2nd series has finished it'll be about half price in a summer sale somewhere.The DVD price is a bit high by American standards and I've heard many Brits complain about the price of DVDs. But hey I'm a big Doctor Who fan and I'll pay it. Most people won't...because they never heard of it or can't afford it.

Unless the BBC realizes American television is a different animal and requires a different approach, they stand to make zilch.

And that's a shame. I waited so long for this show to come back. I think it has the possibility to garner new fans (especially in colleges) and be very successful with some aggressive marketing.

Egeria
December 6th, 2005, 05:39 PM
I honestly can't believe how much you chaps are being ripped off..it's scandalous. I've been sat here today looking for the best deal for my daughters christmas prezzie...and I'm shocked at how much it's retailing at outside the UK. :(

December 6th, 2005, 05:48 PM
Back when the original Doctor Who aired on PBS, as a kid, I didn't realize how important public broadcast was.

Now, years later, the American airwaves and press are controlled by a few conglomerates and PBS is under attack by the very organization that's supposed to protect it.

It's not that I'm insensitive to the financial needs of the BBC, it's that I'm deeply ashamed that I must explain how my democracy is so diminished that the content of our own airwaves doesn't represent the interest of the American people. We avoid certain topics of conversation, limit viewpoints, and focus on trivia.

That is a bigger topic than Doctor Who, but it is part of the backdrop of this debate. If you listen to the consistent message of Doctor Who, it's always about reevaluation and broadening one's mind. Also, it's often been about populist movements and social justice.

And I think people of influence are threatened by such messages, so I am not optimistic.

December 6th, 2005, 05:59 PM
I honestly can't believe how much you chaps are being ripped off..it's scandalous. I've been sat here today looking for the best deal for my daughters christmas prezzie...and I'm shocked at how much it's retailing at outside the UK. :(Well, I paid $73 (including shipping) for the Region 2 version from Amazon.co.uk .

That's just the retail price. Amazon will probably have it cheaper.

Egeria
December 6th, 2005, 06:17 PM
Flippin 'eck...thats's not bad.:D

December 6th, 2005, 06:31 PM
Flippin 'eck...thats's not bad.:DYeah, all I had to do was first buy a multi-region player with built-in PAL-to-NTSC converter(mid-range model-$183.00).

Still, I'm curious how much Amazon will charge for the region 1 boxset.

Also, I'm guessing Blake's 7 will be coming out soon on region 1, and I'm thinking it's going to be cheaper than the region 2 sets...just a guess, but I can't see them justifying that same price here.

We always seem to have cheaper boxsets here.

Egeria
December 6th, 2005, 06:39 PM
Maybe we need to take advantage of our 'friends' in the UK more, especially the Aussies. I'm not adverse to helping out.

December 6th, 2005, 08:18 PM
Has any of my fellow Americans recieved this yet? I've ordered mine from Amazon.Uk, and I still have not gotten it.I pre-ordered mine on November 19th and received it November 30th, which I think was pretty darn quick.

creed462
December 7th, 2005, 02:45 PM
I'm going to have to wait awhile before I get it..... Lack of funds...

Metarock Sam
December 8th, 2005, 11:25 AM
I dont see the fuss. They did it before with the actress who played the Third Doctor's assistant Jo Grant.

Metarock Sam
December 8th, 2005, 11:29 AM
Looks like this special is going to be special. I wonder if it's ratings will beat Rose !!!!!

TheWarrior
December 9th, 2005, 05:19 AM
A new teaser is online.

First moving images of the Santas!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/video/ the first teaser listed.

shazzboy
December 10th, 2005, 06:09 PM
The US and Uk are cheaper than Australia, the boxset is selling for around AU$150 here which is about US$115. we always get ripped off.

IMForeman
December 11th, 2005, 02:38 PM
New one now up. 30 seconds long, the first "proper" trailer, and it looks phenomonal! Click the pic of the TARDIS crashing (http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/video/index.shtml).

Fantastic!

The Signal
December 12th, 2005, 12:10 PM
WOW!!!! Green for the link, and that was a pretty great trailer, cant wait now!!

Willow'sCat
December 12th, 2005, 04:25 PM
Yep it is one expensive bugger!!!!! its listed as $150, but i think you will be able to get it for about $120 at BIG W. We don't have a Big W where I live. I have seen it at 129.99 so I will probably be paying that for it. I think I'll venture out and grab it this week as my Christmas present to myself! :p :D

So the people that do have it and have watched it..

Is it worth the price tag? What are the commentaries like? Any surprises or easter eggs? ;)

Missster.Freeman
December 13th, 2005, 02:23 PM
New one now up. 30 seconds long, the first "proper" trailer, and it looks phenomonal! Click the pic of the TARDIS crashing (http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/video/index.shtml).

Fantastic!

Hey! I just caught that trailer on BBC1 a few minutes ago. w00t! I'm looking forward to this! :)

Easter Lily
December 13th, 2005, 06:55 PM
Unfortunately the Australian version of the boxset contained a faulty disc and so they all had to be sent back to the manufacturer. My local retailer told me that it is UNLIKELY for the Who boxset to be available until after Christmas. So don't buy it now...

I think $125 for a thirteen episode boxset is very steep... I'm a patient person... I can wait... ;) Definitely not buying it from the ABC shop... Sorry Aunty... I love you for showing reruns but I've got a mortagage...

Willow'sCat
December 13th, 2005, 10:22 PM
Unfortunately the Australian version of the boxset contained a faulty disc and so they all had to be sent back to the manufacturer. My local retailer told me that it is UNLIKELY for the Who boxset to be available until after Christmas. So don't buy it now...Really I hadn't heard about that, well at least someone is on the ball they didn't do that with SGA's and I am now the proud owner of a faulty DVD boxset. :p

I think $125 for a thirteen episode boxset is very steep... I'm a patient person... I can wait... Definitely not buying it from the ABC shop... Sorry Aunty... I love you for showing reruns but I've got a mortagage...They never have really good sales. I will buy it and if I have more time now to save well that's just a bonus. :D

Easter Lily
December 13th, 2005, 10:47 PM
Really I hadn't heard about that, well at least someone is on the ball they didn't do that with SGA's and I am now the proud owner of a faulty DVD boxset. :p

They never have really good sales. I will buy it and if I have more time now to save well that's just a bonus. :D

I'm glad I got this information out to you on time. I did post that info on the Aussie thread last week but you must've missed it.

Willow'sCat
December 13th, 2005, 10:51 PM
I'm glad I got this information out to you on time. I did post that info on the Aussie thread last week but you must've missed it.I only post there not often lurk, so yes I did miss it thanks. ;) :)

The Signal
December 15th, 2005, 10:39 AM
Christmas Day at 19:00 cant wait :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

BruTak
December 19th, 2005, 06:17 AM
Okay, is it just me, or did the guy in the British army uniform have the UNIT emblem on his tunic?

yaaayoubetcha
December 19th, 2005, 06:38 AM
Egaria,

Love the Slitheen in the Santa hat!

The Signal
December 19th, 2005, 06:48 AM
Probably, though I cant say fo sure. I do know that this episode may have reference to Torchwood though, if not by name there will be some glimpses of their activity, so he may be working with them

IMForeman
December 19th, 2005, 03:21 PM
Okay, is it just me, or did the guy in the British army uniform have the UNIT emblem on his tunic?

It's not just you. It is most assuredly a UNIT Major.

BruTak
December 20th, 2005, 05:39 AM
It's not just you. It is most assuredly a UNIT Major.
Woo-hoo! The return of UNIT!!! *performs Dance of Joy*:D

Egeria
December 21st, 2005, 12:59 PM
Check out the mock mini site here http://www.guinevere.org.uk/ it's cool.

IMForeman
December 21st, 2005, 04:03 PM
Check out the mock mini site here http://www.guinevere.org.uk/ it's cool.

Also,Mickey's Site (http://www.whoisdoctorwho.co.uk/) has been updated, commenting on this site.

Egeria
December 22nd, 2005, 06:26 AM
^ Cheers matey, I haven't checked on that site for ages...brill.:)

The Signal
December 22nd, 2005, 10:11 AM
Cool thanks for the link

Willow'sCat
December 22nd, 2005, 10:33 PM
Cool thanks for the linkDitto. :) I didn't even know these existed, have they been up since the first/twenty seventh :p series? :S

The Signal
December 23rd, 2005, 06:34 AM
lol, just 2 days and 3 and a half hours to go!!! Forget christmas, i wants Doctor Who!!!!

BruTak
December 23rd, 2005, 06:41 AM
lol, just 2 days and 3 and a half hours to go!!! Forget christmas, i wants Doctor Who!!!!
Oh, the antici-pation....:D

Dallista
December 23rd, 2005, 08:06 AM
I've been following the various interviews by cast members on TV and radio the past couple of days (FYI tonight: DT at Jonathan Ross' show, and apparently a skit on Dead Ringers), and there've been a bunch of clips from TCI, apart from the ones the BBC put in the trailers. Sad to say, it all just makes the wait until X-mas evening that much more difficult!
Thankfully, only two days to go!

Indum'kra
December 23rd, 2005, 04:14 PM
Did anyone else see it? It was the christmas tree attack, and it seemed ludicrous, until Rose's mum said,

"I don't believe it, I'm going to be killed by a christmas tree!" :D

David Tennant looked very bad-ass at the end.

Also there was a preview of the David Tennant doctor who doll (And Jonathan Ross showed us what the doll of him would look like if he played the doctor, which was disturbing, to say the least.)

Missster.Freeman
December 23rd, 2005, 05:11 PM
Aye, I managed to catch it. Didn't realise he was on till I checked the TV guide. He's taller than I thought as well. It was great to see him speak in his (my) native tongue... w00t! :D

Also there was a preview of the David Tennant doctor who doll (And Jonathan Ross showed us what the doll of him would look like if he played the doctor, which was disturbing, to say the least.)
The real life Jonathon Ross is disturbing IMO :P

The spinning christmas tree was like a big meat grinder, it would've chopped you up into chunky kibbles :eek: :D

I cannae wait! Less than two days to go until the christmas invasion woohoo! :P :D

The Signal
December 24th, 2005, 02:16 AM
Very good sneak peak, and Jonathans Doctor was VERY disturbing. Just 1 day 6 hours and 43 mins to go!

Commander Ivanova
December 24th, 2005, 03:29 AM
Tennant is Scottish but I've heard he plays Dr Who minus the Scottish accent. How crap is that?

The Signal
December 24th, 2005, 03:30 AM
He doenst seem to use his accent in many of his roles

Metarock Sam
December 24th, 2005, 03:42 AM
Ive never heard his scottish accent. So really it doesnt matter if he uses it or not.

The Signal
December 24th, 2005, 04:36 AM
Oh and by the way, after the show last night, I decided, i want Chico to be the new Doctor after David :P

The Signal
December 24th, 2005, 09:24 AM
Theres a new one, WOW its the best yet! No link yet but if you have seen it you will agree its great, I wont spoil it but OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

iLemon
December 25th, 2005, 08:56 AM
1 hour and 5min left!!! If only I had a TARDIS to travel forward in time :rolleyes: :D

The Signal
December 25th, 2005, 09:50 AM
Forget the NEWS put it on NOW please

The Signal
December 25th, 2005, 01:30 PM
Well, this is the first, from the end of The christmas Invasion

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/check/doctorwho/ram/2006_preview?size=16x9&bgc=CC0000&nbram=1&bbram=1&nbwm=1&bbwm=1

It looks, as the ninth doctor would say FANTASTIC

Metarock Sam
December 25th, 2005, 01:34 PM
Gaws $99 thats too much honestly. If it were me producing these dvds i would make sure that the series was released like in the uk episodes on the seperate disks and if you wanted the extras (which 99% of the population did uncluding me) you bought the boset for around £60 (i haven't got it yet but will hopefully ge hold of it during the janruary sales). But $99 is just extortionate.