This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arthurean Legend idea

I know very little about Arthurean legend, so I was wondering if someone else could help me confirm/disprove my idea.
    Would it be possible that some of the Legends created by/about Merlin are, in fact, his predictions of the future? If this is so, it could be possible that arthur was never more than a Legend, even to the people of Camelot, and that what's happening right now is, in fact, the origin of the Arthur myths. (Meaning that the girl in Camelot is Arthur)

Personally, I think anything is possible on this show. And the idea itself sounds really good to me.
    sigpic
    MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
    "...phu...ah..."
    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Arthurian ledgend sucks. I'm sick of them incorporating such pathetic stuff from 1200 or whatever year it was ad into stargate. It has only proven to be weak storylines. How many times are they going to find stuff that Merlin left behind?

Best Stargate quote:
      Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
      Green is your friend.

Comment

Um...why do you hate it so much?

Comment

Originally posted by PG15
          Um...why do you hate it so much?
          Because this is the second time they've pulled the whole sword in the stone thing, and the second time they've pulled the whole solve the puzzle and get the treasure thing, and its the second time they've pulled the whole fight the holographic knight thing. Is that enough.

Best Stargate quote:
          Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
          Green is your friend.

Comment

It's called continuity.

Comment

If you don't like it that's fine, but they were careful to state that the sword in the stone/puzzle thing was quite different from the one that we just saw.
              Also, Arthurian legend does provide for some very interesting potential stories, and it's a bit more familiar to the average person than say, Norse or Egyptian mythology. Everyone can see the virgin birth idea and go "OMG!!! THIS IS BIG" but some of the big stuff from seasons 1-8 might have been lost on those who weren't quite so familiar with the myths/legends.

Comment

Originally posted by freyr's mother
                Because this is the second time they've pulled the whole sword in the stone thing, and the second time they've pulled the whole solve the puzzle and get the treasure thing, and its the second time they've pulled the whole fight the holographic knight thing. Is that enough.
                Yeah....... and how many times did they pull the "firefight with the Jaffa" thing, or the "Sam's technobabble saves the day" thing, or any of the other plot devices they've used?

Oh........ and I've got a little bit of news for you. The Egyptian stuff that's been the basis for Stargate over the years.... you know...... Ra, Apophis, Hathor... that's a lot older than 1200 AD. About 4,000+ years older, in fact.

Comment

Actually the Arthurian Legends are alot older than 1200 AD. Some historians believe that Arthur existed and existed in a much earlier time period around the 5th century.

Comment

Originally posted by Bragi
                    Yeah....... and how many times did they pull the "firefight with the Jaffa" thing, or the "Sam's technobabble saves the day" thing, or any of the other plot devices they've used?
                    Exactly! I couldn't have said it any better myself. This show always comes back to familiar things.
                    sigpic
                    MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                    "...phu...ah..."
                    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by SG-12
                      Actually the Arthurian Legends are alot older than 1200 AD. Some historians believe that Arthur existed and existed in a much earlier time period around the 5th century.
                      Yeah, and the pyramids were waaaaay older, and were landing platforms for aaaaaliens

Damn conspiracy theorists.

Comment

I thought it was nice with Arthur and Merlin and that, but we need to go into it more, we have had 2 eps about it. While we had whole seasons for the egyptian and norse myths.

Comment

Originally posted by Laros
                          If you don't like it that's fine, but they were careful to state that the sword in the stone/puzzle thing was quite different from the one that we just saw.
                          Also, Arthurian legend does provide for some very interesting potential stories, and it's a bit more familiar to the average person than say, Norse or Egyptian mythology. Everyone can see the virgin birth idea and go "OMG!!! THIS IS BIG" but some of the big stuff from seasons 1-8 might have been lost on those who weren't quite so familiar with the myths/legends.
                          Actually, Arthurian mythology is only more familiar to the Brits. Just as the Scandinavians know more about Norse mythology and Egyptians know more about Egyptian mythology.

Actually, out of all of those, I think the Egyptians win. I mean, how many non-brits know much about Arthur other than "Round table, knights, Merlin, Holy Graal, quest, king, sword in the stone, lady of the lake, random people like Mordred, Morgan, Avalon..." etc., the usual stuff that's in the movies.

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII
                            Actually, Arthurian mythology is only more familiar to the Brits. Just as the Scandinavians know more about Norse mythology and Egyptians know more about Egyptian mythology.

Actually, out of all of those, I think the Egyptians win. I mean, how many non-brits know much about Arthur other than "Round table, knights, Merlin, Holy Graal, quest, king, sword in the stone, lady of the lake, random people like Mordred, Morgan, Avalon..." etc., the usual stuff that's in the movies.
                            Well, I'm from across the globe (Philippine Islands) and I remember taking up the Arthurian legends/myths from High School Literature classes.

Also, in History classes, we used to talk about what other items the Holy Grail could be. Although I've to admit, "Blood Stone" was never something we ended up with. Sange Reale was, as far as our debates came up with, Royal Blood.

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII

Heh, I didn't even know that Arthur was related to the Holy Grail. Still, I love it since I get to know new stuff. If all they were doing were repeating what I've learned before in high school (and turning them into aliens), then it'll be boring.

Comment

Working...
                              X