This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Name calling!

I was just wondering if Mitchell will ever stop calling Daniel 'Jackson' and why Daniel has not asked Mitchell to call him Daniel. It struck me as quite odd since he usually makes a point of asking people to call him by his first name.

Originally posted by spaceangel
    I was just wondering if Mitchell will ever stop calling Daniel 'Jackson' and why Daniel has not asked Mitchell to call him Daniel. It struck me as quite odd since he usually makes a point of asking people to call him by his first name.
    I don't mind him calling Daniel "Jackson" because it doesn't make him look "samey", it's just his character.
    Betrayed

Comment

I have to admit it grates on me...although I realise that for him to call Daniel by his first name straight off would have invited comparisons with Jack But it's been a whole season now and they don't seem much closer. My main point really though was why Daniel doesn't ask for it. He usually says it even to strangers.

Comment

I have to admit it grates on me...although I realise that for him to call Daniel by his first name straight off would have invited comparisons with Jack But it's been a whole season now and they don't seem much closer. My main point really though was why Daniel doesn't ask for it. He usually says it even to strangers.
        If I remember back to the start of Season 9, Daniel did ask Mitchell to call him by his first name. looks like it didn't sink in.
        Betrayed

Comment

OK that didn't register on me. Perhaps it didn't on Mitchell either! LOL

Comment

I was always under the impression that Cam calls Daniel "Jackson" similar to the way he had addressed Banks or Fergie by their last names. Cam considered both of his former teammates as his "Wingmen", the people he can count on to watch his back, and to Mitchell, this is a sign of his respect and confidence in that particular person. He's calling Daniel "Jackson" because he respects him, admires him, and knows Daniel's got his back.

Also, I think it's a way of keeping the relationships more "professional" than casual; after all, SG1 does have a job to do. Since Cam didn't KNOW Daniel personally before he joined the SGC, he wants to distance himself a bit, get used to the way Daniel acts and reacts to things before starting in on the familiarities. Maybe Cam'll change his tune into Season 10, I don't know.

Now, I think he calls Sam by her first name because they've been familiar with each other beforehand, as in, they've been friends for quite a few number of years before Cam joined the SGC. That's my opinion, anyway.

Comment

Alot of guys just call each other by their last names. My brother calls all his guy friends by their last names. I guess it's a guy thing.

Comment

No, I don't think he ever will. It seems to be a thing the actors came up with.

Now, I don't personally have a problem with the idea of Mitchell calling Daniel by his last name. To me, it doesn't say anything about their relationship or how Mitchell sees him. There have been shows where people a lot closer to each other have called each other by their last names. I just like the name Daniel I don't really like hearing Jackson by itself. It's an aesthetic concern. Just like I prefer the name Mitchell and think Cameron is not a very pleasing sounding name.

I have to admit it grates on me...although I realise that for him to call Daniel by his first name straight off would have invited comparisons with Jack
                I don't see why it should call comparisions to Jack. It's not like Jack is the only person to ever call Daniel, Daniel. I think it would be just as detrimental to go too overboard trying to make Mitchelll different from Jack in every single way. I doubt people are exact opposites in every single way. And, like I said, I really don't see calling Daniel by his first name as something that Jack had a patent on.
                I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Personally I fidn it a bit disturbing that Mitchell calls Daniel by his last name Jackson. Why doesn't he just say Daniel?
                  Lord Zedd

Comment

I like it, Jack always called Carter 'Carter' but cam calls her sam... doesnt really bother me either way

Comment

Originally posted by Hybridbabe
                      I was always under the impression that Cam calls Daniel "Jackson" similar to the way he had addressed Banks or Fergie by their last names. Cam considered both of his former teammates as his "Wingmen", the people he can count on to watch his back, and to Mitchell, this is a sign of his respect and confidence in that particular person. He's calling Daniel "Jackson" because he respects him, admires him, and knows Daniel's got his back.
                      I agree with all this. That said, I still prefer "Daniel" to "Jackson". And his version of showing respect means calling Daniel by his last name despite Daniel saying how he wants to be addressed. That could be seen as an ingrained thing Cam can`t stop doing, or a deliberate gentle ribbing by calling him "Jackson" anyway, kind of like nicknames are bestowed by others no matter how we want to be addressed.

Also, I think it's a way of keeping the relationships more "professional" than casual; after all, SG1 does have a job to do. Since Cam didn't KNOW Daniel personally before he joined the SGC, he wants to distance himself a bit, get used to the way Daniel acts and reacts to things before starting in on the familiarities. Maybe Cam'll change his tune into Season 10, I don't know.
                      Maybe, except they seem to be trying to establish that they hang out "after hours", like with the movie night references, and like someone said Daniel asked to be called Daniel from their first meeting. Maybe Cam was doing the "professional" thing at first, but then it became a habit Cam couldn`t break even after getting to know Daniel better.

Now, I think he calls Sam by her first name because they've been familiar with each other beforehand, as in, they've been friends for quite a few number of years before Cam joined the SGC. That's my opinion, anyway.
                      Yeah, I can buy that. And maybe like someone else said it`s a guy thing to call the other guy by his last name.
                      Fargater (n.) A Farscape fan who got curious about Stargate SG-1 on learning BB and CB would be joining, belatedly discovered the greatness of Stargate SG-1 in reruns, and who is now a happy fan of both shows.

Comment

Speaking of name calling, did anyone else notice Emerson call Sam "Tham."

I think his tongue was stuck to his mouth.
                        sigpic

Comment

well mitchell is military how many times did you hear jack call carter by her first name sam
                          https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by Dani347
                            There have been shows where people a lot closer to each other have called each other by their last names.
                            Yeah, like Mulder and Scully in The X-Files. Personally, I have no real problem with it. I do hope however, to hear "Daniel..." out of Mitchell at least once next season.
                            sigpic
                            MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                            "...phu...ah..."
                            "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                            Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Sam's military and she's always called Daniel by his first name. Jack's military and he's always called Daniel by his first name. And, Mitchell calls the only other military member (Sam) on the team by her first name. So, I don't think being military is the reason he does it.
                              I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Working...
                              X