This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Distinctive Concepts of Alternate Sci-Fi universes

I thought of another way to catalog the different Sci Fi unviverses and summarize what is interesting and unique about them. This might be of use to some who have not explored those universes.

So, here's the idea. Each author picks one series and lists all the distinctive concepts for that show, those ideas, plot devices and themes which make a series or universe its own. Of course, each author will miss some, so others can add addendums for each list.

Since I have been immersed in B5 the past two months, I'll start with that.

Babylon 5's distinctive concepts: Soul Hunters, Organic space craft, Neutral territory space stations, Migrating souls, Psi-Corps and telepaths for commercial and military transactions, Techno-Mages, Cross species transfigurations, Complex space battles with detailed tactics, the 5 year story arc, Super races with great powers as representatives of Bablyonian philosophical opposites, Mistakes and character flaws which have long term consequences, A futuristic society where making money and handling the budget still matters, Detailed political struggles......
    Last edited by kmiller1610; 13 March 2006, 10:00 AM.

Earth the Final Conflict

Like most scifi, it wasn't particularly original especially when you start listing the features. It's the general mood and the handling of the details that made it unique. In terms of being creative with technology and grapics the show was definitely better than most. If they could have been equally creative with the writing and characters the show would have been far more successful.

Interdimensional spaceships
    Semi-organic ships
    Organically grown buildings
    Ancient races who've been on or interfered with Earth's development in the past.
    Energy beings with psychic links
    Integration of bio-engineered weapons into the human body (skrills)
    Controlled or manipulated evolution
    Practical uses by humans of alien technology

More alien names with apostrophes...

There were almost no space battles

Despite the inclusion of spaceships, the story centered almost exclusively on Earth and the human potential

Focused on Humans as the answer to an alien problem

Short list of Alien races

The graphics were somewhat unique to the show. The line between matter and energy were certainly a different imagining of that subject.

Definite new-age leanings particularly in regards to the psychic/mental effects other people/beings or energies can have on another.

Interesting way of handling humanity's reaction and adjustment to Aliens, especially on the religious front. They dealt well with the positives and negatives as well as the politics.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

Star Trek: TOS

Diversity on the bridge; IDIC: Infinite diversity in Infinite Combinations: The Vulcan Mind Meld; Characters with flaws who need other characters to complete and actualize them (the Kirk-Spock-McCoy Troika); Social Commentary on Race relations, Private little wars, embracing strangeness; Emotion vs Logic vs Will; The origins of "I studied under him/her at the academy"; Old Girlfriends in the Closet; The necessity of the "Enemy Within"; Sex only every 7 years? No wonder Vulcans are so cold most of the time; To boldy go where no man has gone before; The prime Directive; Red Shirts mean you're dead
      Last edited by kmiller1610; 13 March 2006, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Lesson 1:

No beard = No evil twin

Comment

Ghost in the Shell (it is hard scifi, though)
          cyberbrain autism, cyberbrains in general, thermo-optical camouflage (hey, if Neo could bend the rules of the Matrix, couldn't he just make himself invisible?) walking tanks with cute AI's, prosthetic bodies, stun gloves, stand alone complex, and freaking awesome information warfare.
          Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering-Yoda
          The more bizzare a thing, the less mysterious it proves to be-Sherlock Holmes
          I reject your reality and substitute my own-Adam Savage
          A person is smart. People are stupid, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it-Agent Kay
          That is the exploration that awaits you�not mapping stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence-Q
          Church: I learned a very valuable lesson in my travels, Tucker. No matter how bad things might seem...
          Caboose: They could be worse?
          Church: Nope, no matter how bad they seem, they can't be any better, and they can't be any worse, because that's the way things f***ing are, and you better get used to it Nancy. Quit-yer-b****ing.

If you smoke, you choke. If you choke, you're dead. 'Nuff said.

Comment

When did Ghost in the shell run and where?

Anime ..........

The year is 2029. The world has become intensively information oriented and humans are well-connected to the network. Crime has developed into a sophisticated stage by hacking into the interactive network. To prevent this, Section 9 is formed. These are cyborgs with incredible strengths and abilities that can access any network on Earth.
            Last edited by kmiller1610; 15 March 2006, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Earth Final conflict
              sigpic
              Many thanks to geekywraith for the wonderful sig

Comment

Working...
              X