PDA

View Full Version : wraith face markings

enemy of your enemy
March 10th, 2006, 03:05 PM
i did a search for this but i still am not sure if there is already a post for this but does anyone know what those markings on wraith's faces are? does anyone know if they all have different ones and it depends on what queen they have like the jaffa do according to each gould they belong to?

rarocks24
March 10th, 2006, 03:07 PM
i did a search for this but i still am not sure if there is already a post for this but does anyone know what those markings on wraith's faces are? does anyone know if they all have different ones and it depends on what queen they have like the jaffa do according to each gould they belong to?
well not all wraith have the markings...but...I will certainly admit Michael's Queen looks funky...and a little hot. The markings sort of remind me of Jadzia and Ezri...

ancientaction
March 10th, 2006, 03:11 PM
well not all wraith have the markings...but...I will certainly admit Michael's Queen looks funky...and a little hot. The markings sort of remind me of Jadzia and Ezri...

so the queen is kina hot, cool

WraithWarrior
March 10th, 2006, 03:37 PM

She certainly is for a Wraith :)

rarocks24
March 10th, 2006, 03:39 PM
She's like the buffy vampire/milf kind of woman! I'm sure she looks much hotter as a real human than she does...

http://gateworld.net/atlantis/s2/graphics/220_04.jpg

Dr Weir
March 10th, 2006, 06:21 PM
It can't be assocated with a wraith's queen as within one hive ship wraith can have diff markings. Maybe it's up to each wraith which patterns he/she wants.

Prior_of_the_Ori
March 10th, 2006, 06:51 PM
It can't be assocated with a wraith's queen as within one hive ship wraith can have diff markings. Maybe it's up to each wraith which patterns he/she wants.

I was thinking the same thing since considering the Queens reaction in The Hive we can see that sometimes the Queens don't get along so perhaps they have markings to distinguish their warriors...though you would assume with telepathy they could determine this easily but it was the only thing i could think of.

naamiaiset
February 18th, 2008, 03:36 AM
I was thinking the same thing since considering the Queens reaction in The Hive we can see that sometimes the Queens don't get along so perhaps they have markings to distinguish their warriors...
I was thinking something similar. I think wraith are born/created already with the markings, kind of like the wraith equivalent of birthmarks.

ciannwn
February 18th, 2008, 04:20 AM
Maybe it's just a fashion thing. The faced males have a range of different hair styles and their facial hair isn't identical either.

umopapisdn
February 18th, 2008, 08:40 AM
^^That's what I thought, like tattoos or something like that.

Degilwen
February 18th, 2008, 09:01 AM
I think the tattoos are the Rank from a Wraith now. In season 1 only Bob wear a tattoo. But the face Wraiths are different....

Icarium
February 18th, 2008, 11:21 AM
I mentioned it in another thread as I didn't know there's already a thread on face markings...

Did you notice that the Wraith in Reunion (Archimedes) has very similar if not identical face tatoos as the one in Midway (Karl). They are both scientists and they are even played by the same actor so their facial features are quite similar. Both tatoos are on their right cheek but one of them has it more to the front.
Maybe the the markings really indicate what the Wraith are trained in? Or maybe these two are something like siblings/twins ? ;) ;)
Any other ideas?

Icarium

Zanlee
February 18th, 2008, 06:42 PM
I have heard several different theories about the Wraith markings, rank, fashion statment, hive loyalty, etc.

I do like where Icarium is going with the thought about siblings. What if the markings are clans, 'families'?

We know very little about Wraith as far as 'family' is concerned. They might be born into a clan (not like those cloned warrior class but the others) with such and such a marking, but serve on different hives.

^_^

ciannwn
February 19th, 2008, 02:30 AM
What if the markings are clans, 'families'?

We know very little about Wraith as far as 'family' is concerned. They might be born into a clan (not like those cloned warrior class but the others) with such and such a marking, but serve on different hives. ^_^

Not all faced males have a marking, though - eg. Steve and the ones in 'Rising', 'Condemned' and 'The Defiant One'. Then there's the females. The 'Allies' Queen has very elaborate markings (neck and upper chest) and the Queen in 'The Hive' has a small one on her right temple but the caretaker in 'Rising' and the 'Submersion' Queen have no markings. I don't think the 'Spoils Of War' Queen has a marking either.

All we really know about markings is that some faced males and females have them while others don't. If the markings identified which clan a Wraith belonged to wouldn't all Wraith have one?

PS: Why do a few Wraith wear brown instead of black? (Michael and the humanised Wraith in 'Allies', 'The Defiant One' Wraith and Bob.)

naamiaiset
February 19th, 2008, 05:45 AM
PS: Why do a few Wraith wear brown instead of black? (Michael and the humanised Wraith in 'Allies', 'The Defiant One' Wraith and Bob.)
probably on the surface level, just to tell them apart/give them variety. beyond that, it may have to do with status or age, etc. in the defiant one's case, I think it was because how long he was on that planet. he was alive during the war with the ancients (he thought it was still happening), and you have to guess that wraith "fashion" changes eventually... or, maybe he just found clothes along the way and improvised.

YutheGreat
February 19th, 2008, 06:41 AM

We had a little discussion about this in one of the Todd threads. I think it is Todd the New Baal.

I theorize that it distinguishes the clones from original Wraiths. The marking date from a period where the wraith were still limited to one planet etc.

There were those who theorize that they signify achievements that Wraith has made. There are others.

Icarium
February 19th, 2008, 06:54 AM
All we really know about markings is that some faced males and females have them while others don't. If the markings identified which clan a Wraith belonged to wouldn't all Wraith have one?

Maybe except the division into masked and unmasked Wraith, there is another division among the unmasked Wraith. I mean, maybe some of them are 'noble' ones, kind of royalty and these Wraith have tatoos. Or some houses are allowed to wear markings due to extraordinary achievements.

Icarium

ciannwn
February 19th, 2008, 08:06 AM
I mean, maybe some of them are 'noble' ones, kind of royalty and these Wraith have tatoos. Or some houses are allowed to wear markings due to extraordinary achievements.

The 'Submersion' Queen must have had a very high status in Wraith society.

TEYLA: I see her ...

TEYLA: ... leading the first wave of ships that attacked Atlantis during the war. Queen of a great alliance.

She has some kind of ear ornament but I can find no sign of a marking on her face. The 'Allies' Queen, on the other hand, has a very elaborate tattoo which runs from her left cheekbone and down her neck to the top of her breasts. The Queen we see in 'No Mans Land' doesn't have this marking on her face and she's wearing different clothes. Is this meant to be the same Queen or what? If it is supposed to be the same one it indicates that it wasn't a tattoo - it was the Wraith equivalent of woad and she cleaned it off when she changed back into 'proper' Wraith clothes. (Either that or the makeup department forgot to give her the marking because this was at the start of Season 3.)

Icarium
February 19th, 2008, 08:47 AM
The 'Allies' Queen, on the other hand, has a very elaborate tattoo which runs from her left cheekbone and down her neck to the top of her breasts. The Queen we see in 'No Mans Land' doesn't have this marking on her face and she's wearing different clothes. Is this meant to be the same Queen or what? If it is supposed to be the same one it indicates that it wasn't a tattoo - it was the Wraith equivalent of woad and she cleaned it off when she changed back into 'proper' Wraith clothes. (Either that or the makeup department forgot to give her the marking because this was at the start of Season 3.)

You have better eyes than me ;) , I thought the markings were covered by her clothes in NML. But I took another look and you're right.I think it is the same queen so they really are not tatoos.
And if they are not tatoos, how did Todd put the markings on his face while he was a prisoner? Maybe some are tatoos?

I wonder what do you think about the markings the Wratih from Sateda had? Those were very interesting as well.

Icarium

ciannwn
February 19th, 2008, 09:11 AM
You have better eyes than me ;) , I thought the markings were covered by her clothes in NML. But I took another look and you're right.I think it is the same queen so they really are not tatoos.
And if they are not tatoos, how did Todd put the markings on his face while he was a prisoner? Maybe some are tatoos?

Here's a crazy idea. In 'Rising' Beckett examines a severed Wraith arm.

BECKETT: These cells have none of the normal human inhibiting proteins whatsoever. That gives them an incredible ability to regenerate.

BECKETT: As long as these cells are properly nourished, I don't see a life form like this ever dying of natural ageing the way we do, and they'd be bloody hard to kill.

Human skin cells.

http://www.kidshealth.org/kid/body/skin_noSW.html

When the cells are ready, they start moving toward the top of your epidermis. This trip takes about 2 weeks to a month. As newer cells continue to move up, older cells near the top die and rise to the surface of your skin. What you see on your hands (and everywhere else on your body) are really dead skin cells.

If Wraith skin cells never die and fall off, maybe Wraith dye stays put until it's cleaned off with some kind of 'Wraith make-up remover'. :D

I wonder what do you think about the markings the Wratih from Sateda had? Those were very interesting as well.

I wouldn't even want to make a guess here. This Wraith's appearance is somewhat unusual when compared to other faced males we've seen. Even his clothes indicate a fashion style all of his own. :D

kymeric
February 19th, 2008, 12:48 PM
Its a familia clan thing i think....

I AM KYMERIC FROM THE CLAN SQUIGGLY LINE WITH 2 POINTY LINES UNDER IT!

ciannwn
February 19th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Its a familia clan thing i think....

Does that mean that the majority of faced males and some of the females don't have any clan? Poor things. :(

I'm still puzzling over the mystery of the 'Allies' Queen's vanishing markings. Where did they go to in between the end of Season Two and the start of Season Three? :D

Zanlee
February 19th, 2008, 04:29 PM
Not all faced males have a marking, though - eg. Steve and the ones in 'Rising', 'Condemned' and 'The Defiant One'. Then there's the females. The 'Allies' Queen has very elaborate markings (neck and upper chest) and the Queen in 'The Hive' has a small one on her right temple but the caretaker in 'Rising' and the 'Submersion' Queen have no markings. I don't think the 'Spoils Of War' Queen has a marking either.

Good point. What about the face markings being a mark of honer or a trophy of some kind. What if Wraith get that instead of getting awarded metals?

^_^

Sparrow_hawk
February 19th, 2008, 04:49 PM
I suspect that the face markings may have started out as a make-up crew elaboration of the whole Wraith concept, but I really hope that some significance is eventually attributed to them.

I also noticed the brown/black wardrobe contrast and wondered about it, but have no idea what it might mean.

And does anyone have any thoughts on the significance of the purple/blue irridescent finger guard some of the Wraith wear? Wraith jewelry? Status symbol?

Icarium
February 20th, 2008, 12:01 AM
Here's a crazy idea. In 'Rising' Beckett examines a severed Wraith arm.

BECKETT: These cells have none of the normal human inhibiting proteins whatsoever. That gives them an incredible ability to regenerate.

BECKETT: As long as these cells are properly nourished, I don't see a life form like this ever dying of natural ageing the way we do, and they'd be bloody hard to kill.

Human skin cells.

http://www.kidshealth.org/kid/body/skin_noSW.html

When the cells are ready, they start moving toward the top of your epidermis. This trip takes about 2 weeks to a month. As newer cells continue to move up, older cells near the top die and rise to the surface of your skin. What you see on your hands (and everywhere else on your body) are really dead skin cells.

If Wraith skin cells never die and fall off, maybe Wraith dye stays put until it's cleaned off with some kind of 'Wraith make-up remover'. :D

If the markings were tatoos, Wraith's regeneration abilities would make them easier to remove without any trace. But then why should they make tatoos if they wanted to remove them? And then the tatoos would be merely decorations or... they would express the 'mood' the Wraith are in ;) The Allies queen was in a mood for elaborate flowery negotiation :D :D In NML not any more ;)

Icarium

ciannwn
February 20th, 2008, 04:03 AM
I suspect that the face markings may have started out as a make-up crew elaboration of the whole Wraith concept, but I really hope that some significance is eventually attributed to them.

I think it's just down to elaboration on the basic Wraith design as well. The first Wraith we saw (female caretaker, her faced male, 'The Defiant One' castaway and Steve) didn't have any markings. New Wraith have different looking skin and the trenchcoats and masked warriors' costumes have been redesigned. So there you are. In spite of crises such as a food shortage and a civil war, the Wraith decided to have a fashion revolution. :D

And does anyone have any thoughts on the significance of the purple/blue irridescent finger guard some of the Wraith wear? Wraith jewelry? Status symbol?

I thought I saw a warrior wearing one of these finger guards in 'Midway'. I found a pic of a warrior holding a stunner rifle from 'The Seige Part 3' and he's definitely wearing a purple whatever it's meant to be.

Icarium
February 20th, 2008, 05:19 AM
I suspect that the face markings may have started out as a make-up crew elaboration of the whole Wraith concept

It can be true :( Also they have the same actors playing the Wraith re-used so maybe they wanted to be sure we saw the difference between them ;)

Icarium

QueenMalka
October 4th, 2009, 08:24 PM
From Joe M Blog:
Rob Cooper: (writer, producer etc on SGA)
I think the tattoos could represent an association to a particular group or queen or an expression of individuality and an artistic decoration — another nod toward goth and gang style on Earth. You decide.

For the whole story (cause you should read it, more wraithy tidbits)
http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2009/01/18/january-18-2009-series-creatorshowrunnerexecutive-producerwriterdirectorduck-smoker-robert-c-cooper-answers-your-questions/

Toddwraithhottie
October 6th, 2009, 06:36 PM
This is just my opinion, but I think they are like natural tattoos when the wraith are born. That' s just my opinion. Not all wraith have markings. Most of them are on their face. Since the wraith do not have official names, maybe their markings distinguish each other.

WraithQueenH
October 6th, 2009, 08:05 PM
Their tattoos might be given in a way that the wraith body cannot heal... we know they cannot heal everything and weren't always able to self heal to begin with so its possible.
I always thought that the wraith Tattoos were given/taken for a bunch of different reasons. Seems to me that Wraith must be of the officer caste/Queen caste (No keepers allowed) to have a tattoo. The more stylistic design tattoos are just body art, but would still be a way to show other wraith's how cool and important you are as you had to be officer/Queen caste to get it to begin with... (wonder what their mommy/Queen says when their teenage 2nd-in-command get outlandish full body art.. "And where are we going to put your eye star when you save the species, young one!")
Anyway, the more "plain" tattoos (like Todd's star) denotes age, accomplishment, and/or rank.
I think mean for the finger guard would also depend on the wraith (regardless of what writers have said). Basically its jewelry and it doesn't seem to protect them in anyway.. but its also good to slice and dice opponents or food with, so mixed reasoning. Human's seem to taste better when they are emotional so pain can create emotion after all. And if a subordinate isn't seeing your point of view, pain might be a nice way to explain it to him.. after all, you cannot kill everyone under you.

Dr. Selene Ankarres
October 7th, 2009, 08:25 AM

What markings ? the tattoo type markings or the markings on the side of their noses ? because i think those are just like another way to breathe. But the tattoo markings are just to give the wraith thier own identity, like their hair styles ;). but they could mean something, like they achieved something of a great level. or the symbols mean something to them. Wraith do have their own language and writing. There is much about the wraith we are yet to know

WraithQueenH
October 11th, 2009, 07:06 PM
Since the wraith do not have official names, maybe their markings distinguish each other.

Just wanted to point out that no Wraith has ever said they didn't have names.. just that they wouldn't share their names with humans.

Their have been peoples on Earth (like ancient pagans) that believed using proper names gives you power over people or things. For this reason, in ancient times people often had two names: one that they were referred by and a sacred name they kept to themselves.

We don't know if Wraith have names, but since their language is a derivative of Ancient, I'm assuming they have names... Wraith just know better than to share them with us. ;)