Maybe they Don't Need ZPM's.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe they Don't Need ZPM's.....

The wraith also power their ships, from supply ships to Hive ships, with some power source capable of surviving a long time (the supply ship in "Defiant One") Maybe its some sort of organic zpm thing, whatever it is, there are a ton of HIve Ships anD Wraith Ships around, if they do ever authentically manage to turn at least one wraith ship into humans (as allies, not food for other wraith or anything) They could potentially use it to power Some of Atlantis..... I dunno, just thinking

It'd be funny if they pulled a Janeway and by Season 4 just ended up hunting the Wraith in order to get power sources.

Comment

It's funny because they need whatever the writers decide. In Season 1, I believe it's the Seige - Part 2, a new naquedah reactor is brought through to power the ancient chair. The writers can require or solve any problem easily enough. The question is what warped thing are they thinking at that moment.
      Karen Morris
      7th Chevron GM
      http://www.7thchevron.com

Comment

It would be an interesting concept, the only problem I see is that as you stated the ships are possibly organic, which means getting a power supply through nerves & electrical impulses into wires & other technocal jargon that I know the least about, even though I am incredibly smart, moreso than Mckay himself! Mwhahahaha! *I Lie*. The Atlantis team could probably do a potato/ lemon battery deal & produce energy for all! Hypothetically of course...

Comment

Originally posted by Sauron18
          The wraith also power their ships, from supply ships to Hive ships, with some power source capable of surviving a long time (the supply ship in "Defiant One") Maybe its some sort of organic zpm thing, whatever it is, there are a ton of HIve Ships anD Wraith Ships around, if they do ever authentically manage to turn at least one wraith ship into humans (as allies, not food for other wraith or anything) They could potentially use it to power Some of Atlantis..... I dunno, just thinking
          lol that might be the stupidist idea ive ever seen but slaggin u off m8 but there power source isnt advanded as our's i recon our Naquadir Genarator is just as close as there power source

Comment

Not possibly, they ARE organic. This is explicitly stated in 2x20.

Comment

It's not a reason.
              They are able to send energy bursts towards Atlantis, no reason not to be able to divert those to a receiver of some kind and pump it.
              Zelenka was also able to power the beaming device using electricity...

Comment

Good point.. Convert the shield over to absorb the energy fired at it and redirect that back into the power grid.

Comment

Originally posted by Sauron18 View Post
                  Some estimations were made about how much energy would be necessary to lift a city of the size of Atlantis, at the velocity seen in Rising, I think.

The number talked about a couple of megatons. Obviously, nothing requiring even one ZPM.

I believe the ZPM necessity is due to McKay and co simply not knowing how to properly make the ship work - AT LEAST ! one thing they don't know.

Continuity wise, it's probably one of the best explanations, because even a single hypernova ZPM would have no problem to move something like the moon, really, and wouldn't even feel being taxed.

The evidence that McKay and co have no clue about how the stardrive properly works is proven by the fact that the city was constantly shaked as it rose (First Strike). We didn't see that when the Asurans moved their own cityship (The Return), and power has nothing to do with the tremors.

It's probably because there's a valve somewhere which McKay and co didn't open, so the ZPM is like pumping gigawatts of power instead of the star system busting levels we expect to see (remember, Atlantis has power conduits which can handle a flux of 2 % of energy from a ZPM per second ! - McKay and Mrs Miller).

Plus you have to consider that while Atlantis is around 3 to 4 km wide, a hiveship is 11 km long, and looks denser, and yet, we've never heard McKay talk about how the Wraith have power sources that dwarf anything the Lantians ever created...
                  Remember, the Wraith can lift their hiveships off the ground as well.
                  The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Oragahn View Post
                    Some estimations were made about how much energy would be necessary to lift a city of the size of Atlantis, at the velocity seen in Rising, I think.

The number talked about a couple of megatons. Obviously, nothing requiring even one ZPM.

I believe the ZPM necessity is due to McKay and co simply not knowing how to properly make the ship work - AT LEAST ! one thing they don't know.

Continuity wise, it's probably one of the best explanations, because even a single hypernova ZPM would have no problem to move something like the moon, really, and wouldn't even feel being taxed.

The evidence that McKay and co have no clue about how the stardrive properly works is proven by the fact that the city was constantly shaked as it rose (First Strike). We didn't see that when the Asurans moved their own cityship (The Return), and power has nothing to do with the tremors.

It's probably because there's a valve somewhere which McKay and co didn't open, so the ZPM is like pumping gigawatts of power instead of the star system busting levels we expect to see (remember, Atlantis has power conduits which can handle a flux of 2 % of energy from a ZPM per second ! - McKay and Mrs Miller).

Plus you have to consider that while Atlantis is around 3 to 4 km wide, a hiveship is 11 km long, and looks denser, and yet, we've never heard McKay talk about how the Wraith have power sources that dwarf anything the Lantians ever created...
                    Remember, the Wraith can lift their hiveships off the ground as well.
                    First off, it was Progeny when the Asurans moved their city, and check your facts, Dr. Mckay specifically stated that they felt a tremor when he realized they were in space, and we saw the cell they were in shake when the city took off! Also, Janus stated in Before I Sleep that the city would rise via the device holding Atlantis on the bottom of the ocean would release and it would float up, it was not convayence, but just bouyency.

Comment

Ah, I'm no scientist, but the wraith tech is so different from the Ancients, but I really don't think they would mix very well. However...

It'd be cool if in some episode McKay tried to intergrate a wraith generator in the city's power system, but Atlantis activates a self destruct code, because of a failsafe design to keep wraith from using the city! The team must find a way to save the city before it explodes! Oh, this is gold! (sorry, I got a little carried away) *goes off to write script*

Comment

Originally posted by kvasir 2.0 View Post
                        First off, it was Progeny when the Asurans moved their city, and check your facts, Dr. Mckay specifically stated that they felt a tremor when he realized they were in space, and we saw the cell they were in shake when the city took off! Also, Janus stated in Before I Sleep that the city would rise via the device holding Atlantis on the bottom of the ocean would release and it would float up, it was not convayence, but just bouyency.
                        UI don't recall the city trambling massively when the Asurans took it off. However, Atlantis was severely rocked after Atlantis left the ocean.

Now, that's just my take to rationalize something that is just totally absurd.

You don't claim that ZPMs can stand for thousands of years, power time dilation fields, destroy entire fleets, destroy a whole planet and even a star system when they release all they have... and pretend that a spaceship with only one ZPM couldn't take off without the help of any other power plant and energy routage trick ffs.
                        Lifting the city should have not even dented the ZPM.

Plus it's not like the Asgards or the Tau'ri couldn't install a power core on Atlantis.
                        Or they could have hyperspaced it away by tugging it with a powerful warship, either a 304 or an asgard ship.

It's just another glaring case of the guys up there not knowing what to come with to put Atlantis in a dramatic situation.

It's actualy funny how, in fact, they went from "oh my god we need 3 ZPMs to take off" to "ah, one ZPM, plus that underwater thermoplant and some smart energy managment will do fine".
                        The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Oragahn View Post
                          UI don't recall the city trambling massively when the Asurans took it off. However, Atlantis was severely rocked after Atlantis left the ocean.
                          I just watched both sequences (don't ask me how...although I think you know), and the only reason that Atlantis seemed to have shook more was because for a lot of that time it was stalled on the ocean surface. However, if we're just talking about the bits where the two cityships lift off of the surface, then the shaking was about the same.

Comment

I highly doubt that they could interface a wraith generator (if Wraith even use generators; if the ships are organic then, theoretically the entire ship could generate energy), but even if they could, I agree with Carter1994 that it would probably set off a self destruct failsafe. The Ancients weren't stupid (contrary to popular belief), and they would never have let the Wraith get control of Atlantis.
                            sigpic

The New GateWorld Virtual Fleet Database

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                              I just watched both sequences (don't ask me how...although I think you know), and the only reason that Atlantis seemed to have shook more was because for a lot of that time it was stalled on the ocean surface. However, if we're just talking about the bits where the two cityships lift off of the surface, then the shaking was about the same.
                              So basically you've shot my fine little ducktaped explanation.
                              You'll pay for that.

Now the plothole is even more massive than ever. If only certain things could be sucked in...

Comment

Working...
                              X