This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long have you been a fan?

I started watching Doctor Who when I was about 5 years old so I only ever saw the whole Sylvestor McCoy era. Since then Doctor Who has been one of my top 3 favourite shows.

(1. Doctor Who
    2. Stargate SG-1 -really big fan of this show aswell
    3. Stargate Atlantis - Nots as loved as SG-1 or Doctor Who but its very close)

So I have been watching Doctor Who since that era all the way (including the movie) to the end of the Christopher Eccelston new series with the Children In Need 7-minute scene (taped it obviously) and the christmas special 'The Christmas Invasion' (taped that awell). How long have you been a 'Who' fan? Im working my way through all the other episodes of 'Doctor Who' (doctors 1-6) and thats gonna take a long time. There is no way in hell that im missing the David Tennant season or 'Torchwood'. Not to sure about the new announced K-9 thing but I will check it out when it starts.
    Teselecta: "Silence will fall when the question is asked."

Doctor: "And what is the question?"

Teselecta: "How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?"

Doctor: " *Brainfart* ".

Doctor: Since the late 8'0 earily 90's when I watched the reruns on PBS.
    Stargate*: since the movie
    Tis No Fool to lose what He can not keep, To gain what he will never Lose

Comment

Stargate: I saw the movie in the theater (1994?). I liked it, but that's all. In 1998, I watched most of season 1 as it aired on Dutch television, but apart from fancying Daniel, I wasn't what you'd call a "fan". I didn't become a real fan until January 1999, when I saw TBFTGOG. 42 magical minutes of television.

Doctor Who: July 2005. I'd caught parts of some episodes in the spring, when I kept zapping into the program on BBC 1, but none of it ever made any sense (my own fault; watching the last 15 minutes of any program usually isn't a good idea). Thus I kept dismissing the program as"incomprehensible weird British sci-fi, and mostly ignored it. Then, in July, at a Stargate Dutchies meeting, my friends made me watch the season finale two-parter. Granted, a terrible way to get introduced to the fandom (everything gets spoiled!), but I was hooked, because for the first time, Doctor Who *made sense*! Well, except the last scene in the last episode... that required a huge explanation from my friends afterwards, *LOL*

Comment

Well Doctor Who has always been a big part of my life since my Dad and his family are all big fans. I think I first saw the Daleks movies when I was about 2 and the first televised Doctor that I ever saw was Colin Baker in a Trial of a Timelord when it was released in special edition Video which my Dad bought and I know own. However it wasnt until I was 8 when I really got into it when we got UK Gold and I got to see many episodes of Doctor Who.
        Oh Yes the Sam is Back and hes more Sci-fied up than ever !!!!!!!!!

Coming Soon a new Banner from Me

Comment

Doctor Who... as a young kid....

I don't remember the original airings. But I watched repeats and loved them.

So... early 90's maybe? Seeing as though I was born in '87

Stargate. Since my Dad brought the movie home for us to watch them started renting the episodes. It was fairly new so... I'd say from the begining nearly?

Stargate Atlantis, well from when it first broadcast in the UK on terrestrial.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

With the Stargate movie my Dad bought it the day it came out and my freind bought the first series of Stargate on video in this fantastic box with all the Serpent Guards on however I didnt start watching Stargate properly till about season 4. Now Ive got the dvds I can watch and rewatch them as I please.
            Oh Yes the Sam is Back and hes more Sci-fied up than ever !!!!!!!!!

Coming Soon a new Banner from Me

Comment

My favorite series in order are.
              1: Doctor Who
              2: Farscape
              3: Stargate SG-1
              4: Stargate Atlantis

I saw the Stargate Movie when it was released on video.
              I caught the first few SG-1 episodes when a friend who had Showtime, but watched the rest in syndication or on the Sci-Fi Channel. I saw Atlantis when it first started on the Sci-Fi Channel. I have all the DVD sets for both.

I caught Farscape half-way through Season 2 on the Sci-Fi Channel and got all the DVD sets, including The Peacekeeper Wars.

I started watching Doctor Who in the early eighties. First I saw Jon Pertwee. I went on a trip and came back to Tom Baker so I was confused. I saw the William Hartnell episodes on another channel and then Patrick Troughton. Eventually I saw, taped, and purchased every extant episode. I bought most of Target novels and Virgin novels. I have every Region 1 DVD, and a couple Region 2 DVDs. Hell, I bought a multiregion DVD player just to see 1996 movie again and the new series for the first time.

I've been a fan of the show longer than some of you have been alive. DASP feels very old.

Comment

I started with Tom Baker, but only caught radom eps untill I caught on to the viewing sechual
                Tis No Fool to lose what He can not keep, To gain what he will never Lose

Comment

I've been watching Dr Who religiously since the late eighties. My father was a fan from waaaaay back and when we came to live in Australia, he discovered that the ABC was showing them so he recorded them for us.
                  My first Doctor was Tom Baker in the City of Death... For ages and ages, I didn't know what the story was called... I called it the Mona Lisa one.
                  These days my favourite Doctor is Jon Pertwee... he embodies all the paternal qualities that I believe to be true of a wise traveller from beyond the stars.

I started watching Stargate SG-1 seriously in S4... but I wouldn't consider myself a fan of the show. I do, however, consider myself a fan of Atlantis. As for other preferred scifi shows, I adore Babylon 5 and Firefly.
                  sigpic
                  "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

I started watching Who in the mid 70's - probably around the middle of Tom Baker's run in New Zealand, though I do recall seeing quite a lot of John Pertwee in re-runs. Scared the snot out of my as a toddler, but there was something hypnotic about it... Sadly, we're never going to see too many adventures of the first two Doctors (William Hartnell & Patrick Troughton) because of neglect and wilful destruction by the BBC. The Wiki article on missing Who is all too accurate...

Comment

I started watching Doctor Who one lazy Sunday afternoon in 1983 or so. I flipped on this kooky but oddly intriguing show with a wisecracking curly haired guy (toting a long scarf) and a couple of teenagers in the midst of some garden scene battling a stone statue with creepy red glowing eyes. It was on my local PBS station (Maryland Public Television). I never really watched MPT before and I was just trying to get from the local UHF independents for an interesting afternoon movie. This caught my eye.

That week at school I learned two of my friends (who did watch a lot of MPT) knew all about this show. It was called Doctor Who, was British, about time travel adventure and came on weekday afternoons as well in half hour episodes, but movie-length versions on weekends. My friends told me they liked the other girl companions better than the teens. One liked the brown-haired reporter and the other liked the blonde timelady scientist.

Intriqued, I started watching more regularly. I discovered the local comic store carried Doctor Who books, picked up a program guide and learned this show had been going since before I was born. So many stories, so many adventures. I was enthralled.

My fandom remained largely closet. Just me and my TV. It was something I just kept watching. I wanted to see it all, but that took me years to do. Almost 15 years.

Over that time, MPT went to one night of Doctor Who broadcasting... Saturday nights at midnight. They paired other British SciFi shows with it and called the block of programming "The Zone". I saw Red Dwarf, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Blake 7. I pledged MPT. I saw Slyvester McCoy come for a pledge drive. I never watched Saturday Night Live again (boy am I glad I missed that one).

Eventually I realized what I saw that Sunday afternoon was The Keeper of Traken with Tom Baker, and companions Adric & Nyssa. I agreed the brunette reporter (Sarah Jane Smith) and the blonde timelady (Romana II) were better. My favorites changed over the years. I'd fall in and out of love with the series. Sometimes it seemed a lttle too cheesy. Sometimes it was a little dull. And others it was like watching a favorite old movie.

Fast forward to 2005 and though I was excited to hear the series was coming back, I didn't expect much from it. Then a friend asked me if I saw the latest episode (ep 2 by then). I had forgotten it started, but I discovered ways to see it. One ep and I was hooked, deeper and better than this show has ever hooked me before. Now I'm a chirpy little fangirl running place to place extolling my love for this amazing little show.

My dad loves it. My young nieces and nephews love it. Even my brother is hesitantly admiring of his little sister's fandom. It's no longer my closet hobby. I'm out and I'm happy as can be.

Comment

Originally posted by Billz
                        I started watching Doctor Who when I was about 5 years old so I only ever saw the whole Sylvestor McCoy era. Since then Doctor Who has been one of my top 3 favourite shows.

(1. Doctor Who
                        2. Stargate SG-1 -really big fan of this show aswell
                        3. Stargate Atlantis - Nots as loved as SG-1 or Doctor Who but its very close)

So I have been watching Doctor Who since that era all the way (including the movie) to the end of the Christopher Eccelston new series with the Children In Need 7-minute scene (taped it obviously) and the Christmas special 'The Christmas Invasion' (taped that awell). How long have you been a 'Who' fan? Im working my way through all the other episodes of 'Doctor Who' (doctors 1-6) and that's gonna take a long time. There is no way in hell that im missing the David Tennant season or 'Torchwood'. Not to sure about the new announced K-9 thing but I will check it out when it starts.
                        Well because I am old(ish) and because we only had two TV channels where I grew up, yes two!

I started watching when I was about 4 or 5 years old so I have been watching the show for over 30 years so I would say I have been a small fan (as apposed to a clearly freakish fan ) for 30 years.

Fave shows?

Hmm, Dr Who is the only one I still really look forward to seeing.

Comment

Let's see...I think I've know about Doctor Who since I was six because my parents always told me about it. I watch my first episode when I was eight. I remember it was Battlefield. My parents had everything from Leela on recorded so we watched them all. ^_^ I've been a fan every since! I think I'm actually more into it than my parents now. I'm really happy about the new series! Now I actually get to watch brand new episodes! I was a baby when the show was canceled so this is great for me! ^_^
                          "There's no point in growing up if you can't be childish sometimes." ~Doctor Who, Robot~

SGA Fanfiction

Comment

I saw the movie a few years back and thought it was okay and I've been absolutely hooked since the new show started.

I always wanted to watch Who growing up and I was always jealous whenever I heard people talking about it, but the channel it was on didn't come in very well (if at all) where I was, so I never had a chance to watch the earlier stuff. *sigh*

I'm gonna try and catch up now, though.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                              I saw the movie a few years back and thought it was okay and I've been absolutely hooked since the new show started.

I always wanted to watch Who growing up and I was always jealous whenever I heard people talking about it, but the channel it was on didn't come in very well (if at all) where I was, so I never had a chance to watch the earlier stuff. *sigh*

I'm gonna try and catch up now, though.
                              There's always the Classic Series DVDs.

Comment

Working...
                              X