Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A thought just crossed my mind (regarding Iris).

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A thought just crossed my mind (regarding Iris).

We know that one of the main priorities of the SGC is to explore other worlds and interact with the inhabitants of those worlds, hopefully to form alliances and trade technology. Now, there are probably countless other worlds that send out teams to explore just like the SGC. We know that the SGC sends in the MALP before going through the gate to make sure the cost is clear, and determine whether or not the gate is accessible (iris or something).

What I'm getting at is: What if these other explorers do not use something like a MALP, and they decide to make contact with Earth, only to meet the fate of the Iris. I know that the Iris is there to protect Earth from enemies and the such, but how many times do you think that has happened, where the thud turns out to be friendly travelers. Also, if that ever were to happen, I'm sure that the world would send 2nd and third teams to find out what happened to the 1st, and when neither of those came back, they would suspect Earth as being an enemy.

Uber Hax does Stargate (YTMND)

The same thing that happened to the Eurondans in season four's "The Other Side."

They go splat and we appologize.

Comment

They would be foolish if they didn't use something to checkout the other side of the stargate before they left.

What it the planet had no atmosphere? Or, like you say, and Iris.

They would be deserving of their fate.
      An all new Stargate spinoff presents

Stargate: The B Team

The galaxy just got a whoooole lot crazier!

Comment

That's a good point, maybe alien probes have come through only to splat against the Iris. The world sending the probe probably moved onto the next address.

Comment

Originally posted by HirogenGater
          That's a good point, maybe alien probes have come through only to splat against the Iris. The world sending the probe probably moved onto the next address.
          Right! For all we know, the Furlings have been trying to contact us for years from a galaxy far, far away.
          sigpic
          MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
          "...phu...ah..."
          "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
          Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

That would make for a good beginning to a kick butt ep. It turns out to be that Hitler planet when Jack piloted remote aircraft and turned on them.
            Well now the right people on the planet have the Stargate and the Ori are their. New allie and the first to fight off the Ori all by them selves. They have been trying to contact us to warn us out of good faith for what we did for them. They thing the Ancients are the Furling because that is all they know of.
            *Post in Peace, Yah or Nah*
            *Go to Sokar you Cylon fracker*
            *I can't spell vary good, but I can read mis- spelled words vary good*
            *And then the Ori said, "if your thread is dead then let their be a new one"*
            *It's Science Fiction. Not Science with Fiction.*
            *Sproiler Tags should only be used when you are going to be mentioning something that you can't already read on Gateworld*
            *When I talk out my butt it smells like sarcasm*

Comment

The funny thing is with all the hundreds of thousands of years the Goa'uld have been using the stargates they never developed an actual MALP. They'd just tell the nearest Jaffa to pop on through and check things out and if they didn't dial back they assumed the planet was uninhabitable/iris, etc.

Definition of a Gunslinger

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger
                The funny thing is with all the hundreds of thousands of years the Goa'uld have been using the stargates they never developed an actual MALP. They'd just tell the nearest Jaffa to pop on through and check things out and if they didn't dial back they assumed the planet was uninhabitable/iris, etc.
                The perfect excuse for a defection. You don't report back so the Goa'uld would have assumed that the planet is uninhabitable or has an iris.
                School is overrated.

Comment

Wow, this is exactly something I've been thinking about lately...

Good points about how it's foolish not to send a MALP, or MALP-ish thing, through, but also good points about what IF someone were trying to reach us and hit the iris and had no other means to communicate or thought the planet was uninhabitable and moved on... Lately I've been getting worried whenever that Iris pops right up on an incoming wormhole that some innocent, friendly little person is gonna go thud (especially on Atlantis).

Do you all think that's a real possibility or do most others out there pretty much know to either send a MALP or if they already know about Earth they know SGC's procedures and how they should go about contacting them?

Atlantis Base offers greetings from the Pegasus Galaxy
                  "Just when you think you're not in Kansas anymore, it turns out you are."

http://babyseals.care2.com/
                  www.stopthesealhunt.com

Comment

Actually in the first episode of SG1 didn't the gou'ald send through some device that scanned the area close to the gate? In particular the airman (airlady?) standing next to it?

Comment

Yeah it was one of their grenade ball things.
                      Oh Yes the Sam is Back and hes more Sci-fied up than ever !!!!!!!!!

Coming Soon a new Banner from Me

Comment

And then in Heroes part 1, we see the floating Goa'uld MALP, as they call it.

Comment

Originally posted by DrMongol
                          And then in Heroes part 1, we see the floating Goa'uld MALP, as they call it.
                          Wasn't that built by Anubis ? Anubis had a much larger grasp on technology then the Gou'ald did.
                          Oh Yes the Sam is Back and hes more Sci-fied up than ever !!!!!!!!!

Coming Soon a new Banner from Me

Comment

Originally posted by Metarock Sam
                            Wasn't that built by Anubis ? Anubis had a much larger grasp on technology then the Gou'ald did.
                            Yea, it was used by Anubis, but in that episode Carter says that the Goa'uld are scavengers and the idea was most likely taken from the human MALP.

Comment

Originally posted by StarDreamer
                              Wow, this is exactly something I've been thinking about lately...

Good points about how it's foolish not to send a MALP, or MALP-ish thing, through, but also good points about what IF someone were trying to reach us and hit the iris and had no other means to communicate or thought the planet was uninhabitable and moved on... Lately I've been getting worried whenever that Iris pops right up on an incoming wormhole that some innocent, friendly little person is gonna go thud (especially on Atlantis).

Do you all think that's a real possibility or do most others out there pretty much know to either send a MALP or if they already know about Earth they know SGC's procedures and how they should go about contacting them?
                              all freinds of earth have those... ummm wat are they called again those transmitter thingies that all the sg teams use...

Comment

Working...
                              X