This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jesus and Sg-1 Ep: Crusade

Ok I know many of you have read my other rambalings on here, but I just thought I'd get your view on something my Father found odd and distrubing.

If any of u have read my Bio I'm 18 in Va. I'm a Christaian and everything, OH and Spoilers may be present here.....

Alright, when Valla ask's Sg-1 wheater or not they herd of a babie poping in (my own words) to a women that did not have sex... they all looked at each other, Telc being the funny man lol said Darth Vader, and Camron said Aruther, Sam looked like she was going to say Jesus.

My father 60 yrs did that annoying little thing where he makes a noise and then makes an ugly face, if any of u understand that, but what he was getting at was that no one said Jesus, Carter hinted toward Jesus when she asked Camron , "really?" when he said Arthur...

But my Question to u is, do u think the Writers did that b/c

1. They just wanted to stay on the Arthur mythology,

or

2. They just don't like Christans?

I think it was b/c of the 1st one I gave you, not the second

B/c they used Christanity alot in the beginning of the Season...and well I just wanted to ask my fellows Stargate Fanatics what they thought??

I think they were trying to steer away from a "real" religion point of view.

Comment

I also thought that was another point, but I still believe that they wanted to go with the Arthurian (sp) mythology and keep going with that

Comment

SG1 has always tread a very fine line with it's protrayals of "false gods" and "false religions". One of the early episodes I thought that they may have gone over this line (the christian medieval planet). But they didn't. Again they seem to stay clear of any real life religions. Atlantis did mention real life religions in the ep with the ancient who had to protect her people, but that was it.

Comment

option 3
          it didnt need to be said i think it was the first thought that popped into everyones mind, even non religious people like myself.

I think their trying to steer clear of direct comparisons to christian religion and jesus

Comment

Yes I think TPTB tried to handle things with the upmost respect for everyone, not only the Christians, SG has fans allover the world

Comment

I don't think they dislike christians or are trying to steer clear of a *real* life religion. I think they are trying to steer clear from offending christians. One of my gripes about this show over 9 years is that they have mocked many real life pagan religions and called the gods that are still worshipped by those religions false.
              I actually think they are trying to play suck up to christians since they have yet to introduce the christian god as part of their story and have spent 9 years bashing the pagan gods.

P.S. There religion questions can and do tend to lead into some real serious and eventually personal hostilities.

Comment

You say they've mocked pagan religions by showing them as false gods. What is different about the ori (christian mock) their also being portraid as false gods? I dont see how its sucking up, its just a different direction

Comment

I am one of the most faithful Christians you will ever find, and I don't have a problem with the story. At the beginning of the season I was a little worried that they might try and cross the line, but I think they are making the Ori, who by the way are just as good if not better than the slugs(I don't quite remember how to spell it), more like Islam than anything. Look at the whole "you either convert or we kill you" idea. The Qur'an, with all due respect to and Muslims on this board, is pretty clear on that style of spreading their religion. If you get offended, I am a cultural paleotologist and religious culture is my field. And Jack wouldn't go on a mission with having Hammond say "God Speed", so I think the show is being very respectful in that light.

Comment

I find it interesting that they had Cam say Auther. He's the one that is aways saying something or another about his grandmother being a real Bible thumper.

Though the thing that I would have loved to see is them give a prior a copy of a text from all of our religions just to show them that a good majority of the people of our world and galaxy don't kill others because of their beliefs.

Comment

Jesus never popped into my head when I watched that scene.

Comment

Originally posted by edain
                        I am one of the most faithful Christians you will ever find, and I don't have a problem with the story. At the beginning of the season I was a little worried that they might try and cross the line, but I think they are making the Ori, who by the way are just as good if not better than the slugs(I don't quite remember how to spell it), more like Islam than anything. Look at the whole "you either convert or we kill you" idea. The Qur'an, with all due respect to and Muslims on this board, is pretty clear on that style of spreading their religion. If you get offended, I am a cultural paleotologist and religious culture is my field. And Jack wouldn't go on a mission with having Hammond say "God Speed", so I think the show is being very respectful in that light.
                        I'm not at all religious (I'm an atheist) and I found your post extremely offensive. Your sweeping generalisation of Islam is extremely rude and im pretty sure if someone made the same generalisation about your religion or anybody elses it would cause offence. The sentence "you either convert or we kill you idea" is your opinion and your opinion only. If you are a cultural paleotologist i would have expected more accuracy in your statements and also more sensitivity towards other peoples religion.

Comment

How was that offensive? I didn't give a generalized view of Islam. As I stated before, I have studied this, and the same thing goes for Christianity if you want another example. If you look in the Old Testament, God clearly sends the Israelites into battle against the pagans and other inhabitants of the Arabian Peninsula. These older religions have leaned toward violence in the past. It just so happens that group of people who are outside of the main views of the people are keeping in the old ways. Just because I am a scientist doesn't mean I have to sugar coat something. I should have been more clear in stating that the Ori are more indicative of the EXTREME fanatical Islamists, such as the ones who blew up the Mosque in Baghdad that had five hundred people in it. Islam in it's cultural form today is nowhere near what it was even a century ago as it was with the Ottoman Empire. My whole point was that it reminds me of the terrorists, and if you have an example of a Christian group commiting terrorists acts, then send me the information, and I will apologize.

Comment

I live in London, England and believe me there are many christian based terrorist groups the same as you find many other religion based terrorist groups for all religions...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_terrorism

Thats just for starters...

Scroll to the bottom of the page and it'll give you a list of all the well known ones.

Comment

First off, glad to find another fellow Wikipedia user; they have a great entry on SG-1 and Atlantis. I am a cultural paleotologist, and I study the more earlier religions and the impacts they had on the cultures. Both Islam and Christianity have a violent history, Christianity having the Crusades and Islam the almost complete conquering of Europe. The KKK doesn't count in the term religious terrorists; that was about pure racism, not religion. I had forgotten about the abortion clinic bombings, my apologies for that. After having stimulating conversations with you today I can deduce that you are intelligent, and we can both give point and counter-point on the issue, but let's just sit back and enjoy what should one HELL of an episode this week. Waddaya say?

Comment

Working...
                              X