X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Atlantis and Eastern Mythology

SPOILERS

After reading the spoilers for the episode «Progeny», it became obvious to me that the Asurans, the new enemies of Atlantis are based on the Hindu and Buddhist myth of the Asuras.

In Mahayana Buddhism, the universe is composed of ten spiritual realms, the lower six being called the Samsara, or the reincarnation wheel. Each of the realms is populated by a different class of beings who are the personification of a vice. The six lower realms of Samsara are:

1. Realm of the Devas, superior god-like humans who possess great power, but are neither immortal or omnipotent. Their vices are pride and decadence.

2. Realm of the Asuras, rational beings also superior to humans but jealous of the Devas and their power. This realm represents the vices of jealousy and violence, and is also named «Realm of the Titans» and «Realm of the Jealous Gods».

3. Realm of the Manushyas, or humans. Their vices are passion and emotions, but they are the most susceptible to attain enlightenment.

4. Realm of the Pretas, ghost-like beings that can neither eat or drink normal food but are always hungry. Their vice is possessiveness and lust.

5. Realm of the Animals and the vice of stupidity.

6. Realm of the Narakas, a hellish place populated by demons whom vice is hatred.

Now, the first four Realms do sound a lot like they are depicted in Atlantis as the Ancients, the Asurans, the Humans and the Wraith. The Narakas could be the Ori (or, to a lesser extent, the Goa'uld)... In Hindu mythology, the Devas and Asuras were both created by the same being, Kasyapa, who also created human beings, and are always opposed, fighting over the offerings of humans.

The Six Realms are often represented as a wheel. The Devas are on the top. Then clockwise, you have the Asuras, the Pretas, Hell, the Animals and the Humans. Here’s a picture of the Wheel:

http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/world/images/s109.jpg

It’s interesting to see that the Devas seem to live in a castle built on water!

I don’t know what to make of all this, but it’s quite interesting.

Links:

http://www.khandro.net/doctrine_rebirth.htm
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_lower_realms
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asuras
    Last edited by Shtaman; 06 March 2006, 01:33 PM.

Also found this which might prove interesting if the Asura are from Hindu mythology:

The Rama Empire, according to ancient texts discovered in India, existed thousands of years ago, alongside the empire of Atlantis. The texts say that the two were constantly at war, and possessed advanced technology such as flying machines called Valixi (Atlantis) and Vimana (Rama). The texts even describe a battle between Rama and Atlantis on the moon. The Rama empire was also said to have possessed Brahmastra, a weapon "charged with all the power of heaven". The ancient accounts of Brahmastra seem to describe a nuclear weapon. - Acadine Wikipedia

'Hallowed are the children of the Ori. CROWD: Hallowed are we. Hallowed are the Ori.' -

'Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished' -

Contribute to the Stargate Wiki a source for any information on the Stargate universe from the books, RPG to games and comics.

Comment

You may wanna stick a spoiler warning in the threat title or on the first post or something....

Comment

Originally posted by Prior_of_the_Ori
        The Rama Empire, according to ancient texts discovered in India, existed thousands of years ago, alongside the empire of Atlantis. The texts say that the two were constantly at war, and possessed advanced technology such as flying machines called Valixi (Atlantis) and Vimana (Rama). The texts even describe a battle between Rama and Atlantis on the moon. The Rama empire was also said to have possessed Brahmastra, a weapon "charged with all the power of heaven". The ancient accounts of Brahmastra seem to describe a nuclear weapon. - Acadine Wikipedia
        This is quite interesting, since Emperor Rama had an encounter with Varuna, the chief of the Asuras. Read this, it almost sounds like science-fiction!

Faced with the dilemma of how to cross the ocean, Rama performs a tapasya, fasting and meditating in perfect dhyana for three days and three nights to Varuna, the Lord of Oceans. The ocean does not respond, and Rama arises on the fourth morning, enraged by the God's arrogance. With his bow and arrow, he angrily begins attacking the oceans with celestial weapons - burning up the waters and killing its life and creatures. The Vanaras are dazzled and fearful at witnessing the enraged Rama demolish the oceans, and Lakshmana prays to calm Rama's mind. Just as Rama invokes the brahmastra, considered the most powerful weapon capable of destroying all creation, Varuna arises out of the oceans. He bows to Rama, explaining that he himself was at a loss to answer Rama's question. Begging him not to destroy the oceans with the missile, he suggests Rama re-direct the weapon at a demonic race that lives in the heart of the ocean. Rama's missile destroys the demons, and establishes a purer, liberated environment there. Varuna promises that he would keep the oceans still for all of Rama's army to pass, and Nala constructs a bridge across to Lanka. Rama justifies his angry assault on the oceans as he followed the correct process of petitioning and worshipping Varuna, but obtaining the result by force for the greater good
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rama
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varuna

Comment

Thats another interesting thing should Hindu mythology be used... Brahmastra sounds like a very powerful weapon so how would this translate in Atlantis terms? I mean Project Acturus could be considered something similar as the powerful blasts could have been devastating to enemy ships. So could Brahmastra be something similar like Project Acturus? Or something else?

'Hallowed are the children of the Ori. CROWD: Hallowed are we. Hallowed are the Ori.' -

'Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished' -

Contribute to the Stargate Wiki a source for any information on the Stargate universe from the books, RPG to games and comics.

Comment

Originally posted by Shtaman
            SPOILERS

After reading the spoilers for the episode «Progeny», it became obvious to me that the Asurans, the new enemies of Atlantis are based on the Hindu and Buddhist myth of the Asuras.

In Mahayana Buddhism, the universe is composed of ten spiritual realms, the lower six being called the Samsara, or the reincarnation wheel. Each of the realms is populated by a different class of beings who are the personification of a vice. The six lower realms of Samsara are:

1. Realm of the Devas, superior god-like humans who possess great power, but are neither immortal or omnipotent. Their vices are pride and decadence.

2. Realm of the Asuras, rational beings also superior to humans but jealous of the Devas and their power. This realm represents the vices of jealousy and violence, and is also named «Realm of the Titans» and «Realm of the Jealous Gods».

3. Realm of the Manushyas, or humans. Their vices are passion and emotions, but they are the most susceptible to attain enlightenment.

4. Realm of the Pretas, ghost-like beings that can neither eat or drink normal food but are always hungry. Their vice is possessiveness and lust.

5. Realm of the Animals and the vice of stupidity.

6. Realm of the Narakas, a hellish place populated by demons whom vice is hatred.

Now, the first four Realms do sound a lot like they are depicted in Atlantis as the Ancients, the Asurans, the Humans and the Wraith. The Narakas could be the Ori (or, to a lesser extent, the Goa'uld)... In Hindu mythology, the Devas and Asuras were both created by the same being, Kasyapa, who also created human beings, and are always opposed, fighting over the offerings of humans.

The Six Realms are often represented as a wheel. The Devas are on the top. Then clockwise, you have the Asuras, the Pretas, Hell, the Animals and the Humans. Here’s a picture of the Wheel:

http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/world/images/s109.jpg

It’s interesting to see that the Devas seem to live in a castle built on water!

I don’t know what to make of all this, but it’s quite interesting.

Links:

http://www.khandro.net/doctrine_rebirth.htm
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_lower_realms
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asuras
            Interesting stuff. Great post! I think that this explains in part why the show is so successful. The draw is helping explain the unexplained from our own history. It give us meaning. I just can't wait to hear more about our roots.
            Janus: “What is it you called them?” Dr. Weir: “ZPM, Zero Point Module.” Janus: “Yes” Janus: “They're designed to operate in parallel, all three providing power to the city simultaneously.” Janus: “However, used in sequence, it may be possible to sustain the power for the needed time.”

Comment

Watch it. You're trespassing into a modern religion, and mine as well, mind you. But I like the research done.

That was the first thing I thought of when I heard of Asuras - the demon race that fought Indra and the devas. Also reminded me of the hindi word Ashur - which means monster.

Im interested with what you guys can do with this. Keep it up.

BTW, it's not Emperor Rama - its Lord Rama. By calling him a lord, you refer to the incarnation of Vishnu and thus the divine Rama. By calling him Emperor Rama, you can be refering to countless sovereigns with the name (like Ramachandra). =D

Comment

Well Hinduism isn't the only religion that TPTB has made the Ancients/Ori represent. I mean look at Oma and Kheb. Thats Buddhism right there!

I wouldn't consider Origin to be anywhere near Christianity as so many of the not-as-familiar-with-other-religions people love to jump into the conclusion of. If they knew more of other religions they would not say this, but when they find SIMILARITIES, they tend to fail to realize that Earth's many religions share similarites with Christendom too.

Not to mention failure to take notice of the villains depicted in their own religion being more similar to the Ori. In the case of Christianity... the Devil, anti-christ, Hell fire, and etc.
                Last edited by Peoples_General; 07 March 2006, 04:55 PM.
                http://www.myspace.com/peoples_general
                http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/ga...PeoplesGeneral

Comment

Very interesting. Especially the wheel and the part about the fight between the Devas and Asurans.

Comment

Originally posted by Prior_of_the_Ori
                    The Rama Empire, according to ancient texts discovered in India, existed thousands of years ago, alongside the empire of Atlantis. The texts say that the two were constantly at war, and possessed advanced technology such as flying machines called Valixi (Atlantis) and Vimana (Rama). The texts even describe a battle between Rama and Atlantis on the moon. The Rama empire was also said to have possessed Brahmastra, a weapon "charged with all the power of heaven". The ancient accounts of Brahmastra seem to describe a nuclear weapon. - Acadine Wikipedia :
                    This also true but atlantis was what he was fighting, it was lanka. Present day Sri Lanka.
                    The Alantis you me refer to is During Krishna's Time.
                    Dwarka - Krishna's Kingdom he created
                    Dwarka - Atlantis
                    has story is that is exaclty same as Atlantis.
                    Krishna destroyed Dwarka before he Ascended into the Heavens, becuase his dynasty was was becoming Lustful and greedy.

Comment

This theory is cool! I am not very good at eastern mythology, but we could see Lord Kali in the SG-1 5x15-5x16 Summit/Last stand. They wanted to write about Shiva too, but if I know well the name would be changed to "Olokun".
                      "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

F***in hell man I like what you guys/girls, mind you, have done. The research is brilliant. And it makes the Atlantis theme a lot more interesting. Hopefully this is what the writers ahve used because it's great, but, but, but, Atlantis needs a Daniel Jackson, because there will be noone to explain all of this to us on the show.
                        I HATE SY-FY

Comment

Originally posted by Calicto
                          Watch it. You're trespassing into a modern religion, and mine as well, mind you. But I like the research done.

That was the first thing I thought of when I heard of Asuras - the demon race that fought Indra and the devas. Also reminded me of the hindi word Ashur - which means monster.

Im interested with what you guys can do with this. Keep it up.

BTW, it's not Emperor Rama - its Lord Rama. By calling him a lord, you refer to the incarnation of Vishnu and thus the divine Rama. By calling him Emperor Rama, you can be refering to countless sovereigns with the name (like Ramachandra). =D
                          no offence but alot of religions are critised...

and very intresting... thats one thing that makes the show great... it uses our own mithology in it... making it seem somewhat more realistic... what are the higher 4?
                          "I'm still trying to understand, how you thought it was a good idea to test this device by having someone throw you off a balcony."
                          "Oh, believe me that's not the first thing we tried."
                          "I shot him. In the leg."
                          "I'm invulnerable."
                          "Aren't you the one who's always spouting off about how proper and careful scientific procedure must be adhered to?"
                          "In-vul-ner-able!"

Comment

In Hindu mythology, the Asura (Sanskrit: असुर) are a group of power-seeking deities, sometimes misleadingly referred to as demons. They were opposed to the devas. Both groups are children of Kashyapa. The name is cognate to Ahura - indeed, the Oxford English Dictionary recognises the use of the term in reference to Zoroastrianism, where "Ahura" would perhaps be more appropriate - and Æsir, which implies a common Proto-Indo-European origin for the Asura and the Æsir.

The negative character of the asura in Hinduism seems to have evolved over time. In general, the earliest texts have the asuras presiding over moral and social phenomena (e.g. Varuna, the guardian of rta, or Bhaga, the patron of marriages) and the devas presiding over natural phenomena (e.g. Ushas, whose name means "dawn", or Indra, a weather god).

Mitra, Varuna and Vritra are the most well known Asuras.

The term corresponds to the Zoroastrian word Ahura. In Zoroastrianism the Ahuras are supreme, while the devas are demonic. This observation corroborates with some intepretations of the Indo-Aryan migration hypothesis, that a single tribe in Central Asia split into two went separate ways, both ideologically and geographically, one migrating to India and the other to Persia.

In both cultures, this antagonism is worked out along the axis of sacrifice. The first Zoroastrian Gatha excoriates the worshippers of the daewas (devas) for their cruel treatment of sacrificial cows, while the Ahuras make efforts to protect the sacred cattle. In later Vedic ritual, the asuras and devas are frequently portrayed as fighting with one another over the offerings.

According to one hypothesis, the opposition between asuras and devas is rooted in proto-Indo-Iranian social structure. At important festivals, perhaps for new-year celebrations, it is postulated that two clans or sub-tribes would compete in making the most perfect ritual offering to the gods, seeking to outdo their peers in beauty of hymns sung, richness of offerings, and minute observance of traditional formulae. One clan would sacrifice to the devas, the other to the asuras. When proto-Indo-Iranian society grew and split, the two daughter societies slowly forgot the old agonistic context, and eventually chose one set of deities over the other.
                            I HATE SY-FY

Comment

OOps sorry forgot to write, I bet we meet reoccurng characters whose names are based around Mitra, Varuna, Vritra.
                              I HATE SY-FY

Comment

Working...
                              X