This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ALERT!: Guest Access.

Please note that we have been experiencing massive numbers of guests browsing the forums over the past 48 hours, which have caused an enourmous strain our our servers. To alleviate this issue, we have temporarily disabled guest browsing on the forums. Please note that we understand that alot of people do not wish to register for the forums to keep their identities secret, and we are going to be working towards a permanent solution to this problem that re-enables unregistered users to participate in the forums.

I have not yet had a chance to run this by Darren, however this action was necessary to avoid complete and total closure of the forums - so it has gone ahead.

Thanks for the rescue, Greg.

Are we allowed to question/speculate as to WHY suddenly hundreds of guests are accessing the forums, or would you prefer to keep this as more of a factual updates thread?

Also, you say you've shut off guest access, so is it just a matter of the forum "catching up" in regards to that? 'Cause I'm still seeing guests listed. Over 500. Sheesh. No wonder we were having problems. Who said what where that everyone needs to see it?

Comment

Yay, something had to give, I have hardly been able to get a connection to rthe forums for the past 2 days EVIL LURKERS Shame, I was a long time lurker before joining, but still, like I said, something had to give.
      Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
      - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

There are 500+ guests online, but they cant do anything. Previously, 500+ guests doing searches/browsing caused headaches... i dont know why, but it was.

Speculate away.... but it was like this last year at the end of the SG1/Atlantis seasons, just not the same scale!

Comment

Good idea Greg, if it means that us the users get less of the problems then I see no problem with the "No Guest" access .

Off-topic Greg since when were you McKay's sister??

Comment

NB: There is an alert to guest users when they visit the forums so they dont get left out in the cold. It's basically the same as the contents of my original post.

Comment

One fatal flaw, well not a flaw as much as a headache for us, we should get ready for a wave of new menbers signing up, and the repetetive threads that follow
              Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
              - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

Go Greg!!!!!!!

things are alot better now personally and no one hit me on this one but i think it should be just members and guests should be able to view a limit part of the forums so we don't have a bunch of people slowing down the forums for the members who really enjoy gateworld

*just adding i've been running around the forums and there working better then there have in a long time
                Last edited by Pharaoh Atem; 05 March 2006, 06:28 AM.
                https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by Greg
                  Please note that we have been experiencing massive numbers of guests browsing the forums over the past 48 hours, which have caused an enourmous strain our our servers. To alleviate this issue, we have temporarily disabled guest browsing on the forums. Please note that we understand that alot of people do not wish to register for the forums to keep their identities secret, and we are going to be working towards a permanent solution to this problem that re-enables unregistered users to participate in the forums.

I have not yet had a chance to run this by Darren, however this action was necessary to avoid complete and total closure of the forums - so it has gone ahead.
                  maye the software upgrade might work now that failed last night

Comment

Well, I've noticed when guest browsing that some sections didn't have nearly the number of pages I remembered. Figured that was part of an effort to reduce server load. Guess it wasn't enough.

Limiting guest access to, say, Gate Room and Briefing Room would be an idea. They're the most relevant sections to Stargate. Although you'd probably need to include the General's Office, too, just 'cause of the announcements and whatnot. I don't know how significantly that would reduce the load, though.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                      Well, I've noticed when guest browsing that some sections didn't have nearly the number of pages I remembered. Figured that was part of an effort to reduce server load. Guess it wasn't enough.

Limiting guest access to, say, Gate Room and Briefing Room would be an idea. They're the most relevant sections to Stargate. Although you'd probably need to include the General's Office, too, just 'cause of the announcements and whatnot. I don't know how significantly that would reduce the load, though.
                      i was never a quest i sww the forums and signed up so i don't know what there havce access to and what not

Comment

Originally posted by PtahTheCreationGod
                        One fatal flaw, well not a flaw as much as a headache for us, we should get ready for a wave of new menbers signing up, and the repetetive threads that follow
                        I'm one new member you don't have to worry about making repetitive threads, I rarely start new threads. (this must be about the 20th forum I am now a member of, but post at about 6 or so tops, at any given time.) I have lurked since about July, I was thinking of signing up especially since Season 10 is now looking good. (if the series was coming to an end I wouldn't have bothered.) XBOX 360 and a water leak (mess) have had me tied up lately, otherwise I'd have joined.

When you lurk you tend to spend less time at a site, however this was a great idea because I'm sure alot of lurkers won't bother to sign up, the ones that aren't as diehard fans as I and others are.
                        Hallowed are the Ori.

Comment

Originally posted by Ori Warrior
                          I'm one new member you don't have to worry about making repetitive threads, I rarely start new threads. (this must be about the 20th forum I am now a member of, but post at about 6 or so tops, at any given time.) I have lurked since about July, I was thinking of signing up especially since Season 10 is now looking good. (if the series was coming to an end I wouldn't have bothered.) XBOX 360 and a water leak (mess) have had me tied up lately, otherwise I'd have joined.

When you lurk you tend to spend less time at a site, however this was a great idea because I'm sure alot of lurkers won't bother to sign up, the ones that aren't as diehard fans as I and others are.
                          same here i don't make to many threads considering there hardly get attention i mostly post now

Comment

I was disabled, and had to log in. Are you trying to tell me something, Greg?
                            Hatshepsut, Queen Pharaoh

Comment

right now no guest are allowed on the forums

only members can view the forums at the moment

Comment

Working...
                              X