This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ancient Shields in atmospheres

Right i was watching the episode the other day with anubis trying to get the naquadriah to power his uber weapon and the Gould turn up to lay some smack down. Carter says that his shields are less than 40% effective in the atmosphere. We know that Anubis uses ancient tech to boost any gould tech he uses and as his shields took a pounding from the Asgard weapons we can assume that they are based on ancient technology at least in part. Does this mean that Atlantis's shields are only at 40% effectiveness when its on the surface of the ocean? If so thats a scarey amount of pasting they take when so weak id hate to see what it could take if in space....

comments suggestions?
    the very young do not always do as they are told...

you blow up one star and suddenly everyone expects you to be able to walk on water... next parting the red sea

Possibly. But it's also possible that since Anubis was using half-baked copies of Ancient technology and not the Real McAncient stuff, there's some flaws in his designs.
    sigpic
    http://www.nerdtests.com/ft_space.php

Comment

the atlnatis shield was designed fora citynot a ship, so its asumable the shields are different, maybe the auroras are like anubis's, 40% effect in the Atmosphere but atlantis was a home so is different and made for land based... JMO
      sigpic
      You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
      Stargate : Genesis |
      Original Starship DesignThread
      Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
      11000! green me

Comment

it is possible that they were only 40% efective because it was a 'big honking space ship' hanging in mid air. all that gravity pulling on it, and the ship staying up. possibly, sheild power was down to hold the ship in the air.

because im faily sure that stings wont hold a ship up if the shield is active
        Homer: WHEN PIGS FLY!...
        (a pig was in a cannon, and got shot accross the town, right were homer can see)

Homer: Doh!

Comment

Originally posted by immhotep
          the atlnatis shield was designed fora citynot a ship, so its asumable the shields are different, maybe the auroras are like anubis's, 40% effect in the Atmosphere but atlantis was a home so is different and made for land based... JMO
          I dont get it, theyre the ancients, why would they make a shield that is only 40% effective inside an atmosphere.

Best Stargate quote:
          Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
          Green is your friend.

Comment

anubis shields are a far cry from the ownage that are atlantis shields. alteran/ori for that matter

Comment

Originally posted by freyr's mother
              I dont get it, theyre the ancients, why would they make a shield that is only 40% effective inside an atmosphere.
              Because shields are usually used for ships that don't travel through atmospheres (or rather, only use shields in battle outside of atmospheres).

Comment

Originally posted by NakedJehutyV2
                anubis shields are a far cry from the ownage that are atlantis shields. alteran/ori for that matter
                I don't think they ever mentioned that the Ori even use shields..

And i don't think the atlantis shields are that good as they obviously fail if they are being fired upon very intensive.
                error: signature not found

Comment

Working...
                X