This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weir speaks Ancient language?

How did Dr. Weir know that the boys father (forgot his name) was speaking the Ancient language, not only that but she translated exactly what he was saying?!

Probably the same way Daniel did. I know a little bit of Latin, and I can pick up on a few words here and there when they're speaking in Ancient. ("Aveo, amicus," for example, means "goodbye, friends" — for some reason Daniel didn't translate the second word of that.)

She's read all those files on the Stargate program, and I'm sure that somewhere along the line she read that Ancient is similar to Latin. Speaking as many languages as she does (most of them European and Latin-based, I'd imagine), she'd be able to translate fairly readily. Who knows, she might even speak Latin pretty well.
    Mirror, Mirror: Melyanna's multi-fandom fic site
    Last update: 14 April 2006
    Melyanna's Multimedia
    Last update: 15 February 2006

Comment

i guess once we are on this subject i may ask, why is he praying to the Ancients anyways? did they pose as g-ds in the pegasis galexy?

Comment

Originally posted by Melyanna
        Who knows, she might even speak Latin pretty well.
        **SPOILERS FOR "LOST CITY"**
        I think she does, 'cause when O'Neill started speaking ancient in "Lost City" Dr. Weir knew it wasn't Latin.
        Rocky

Comment

Originally posted by disforw
          i guess once we are on this subject i may ask, why is he praying to the Ancients anyways? did they pose as g-ds in the pegasis galexy?
          They didn't pose as them, but as they were the "good guys" and quite powerful they probably seemed like it to the more primitive cultures.
          Rocky

Comment

Originally posted by disforw
            I think it's more like ancestor worship. Especially since Teyla did say he was praying to the ancestors. I imagine generations of humans that the Ancients had contact with before the Wraith beat them probably told stories of the Ancients' amazing technological prowess. As time went on it translated to ancestor worship.
            Cogito ergo dubito.

"How happy are the astrologers if they tell one truth to a hundred lies, while other people lose all credibility if they tell one lie to a hundred truths." - Francesco Guicciardini

An escalator can never be broken, it can only become stairs. You never see "Escalator temporarily out of service." It's "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Comment

When Weir's character was established in SG-1 in was revealed that she spoke many languages... I assume one was Latin(which is similar to spoken Ancient). So she could probably get the jist of what is being said. Kinda like knowing Spanish and listening to Italian. What is more interesting to me is that it seem McKay and others could read Ancient(the personal shield instructions)... I wonder if they noticed it was just coded english (check the Ancient Alphabet Thread) .

Comment

The Atlantis premiere in story time took place months after the SG-1 season premiere(just like this weeks Sg-1 took place a while after the premiere as well). Weir has plenty of time to study the language, Mckay has worked on the SG , and has been working with the tech for a long time as well.

capt

Comment

Is it too unbelievable that maybe, just maybe, Daniel thought gave them books on how to translate Ancient to English?

Comment

Never teal'c, they left those books in the box with the Zats and Staffs.

Comment

Well, considering all these natives speak English anyway, this is a moot point. Can't be lieve you guys argue over how she knows Ancient, but when a few of us bring up the fact the that Teyla and her people speak perfect English, you all say - "it's just a TV show"!, get over , blah blah bah.

This just goes to prove my point that LANGUAGE is an integral part of the Stargate and Atantis backstory, and to IGNORE it most times it stupid.

Rant off

Comment

Spoilers
                        Errrr... Weir isn't the only person who knows the ancient language. As far as I could tell there are quite a few people that know how to read it. I know Mckay and Chevron guy most likely know it.

Comment

According to Daneil, Ancients is just a variation of latin. So since Dr.Weir is already fluent in several languages, and women in general has superior langugage skill than men. It would not be hard at all to learn Ancients.

"ARRRG! My dry cleaning bill this month is over $10,000!"

Comment

Working...
                          X