Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are Egyptian Gods "ok" but medieval knights and wizards "not"?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why are Egyptian Gods "ok" but medieval knights and wizards "not"?

One thing I've noticed is that a lot of the "Anti" Season 9 people complain about Merlin, or think the storyline is kinda going downhill with all this Arthurian "BS" - but my question is simple... we already know the sci fi "universe" Stargate resides in. In it, the Gods themselves are actually aliens. At the start its only the Egyptian Gods, but a couple season in we start seeing Goa'uld who are Roman based, Sumarian based, etc.

Basically, our entire Pantheon are parasites

What I don't get is if all this is accepted, if this is "cool" then why is the idea that it goes further... that the Ancients had at one point in time resided on Earth, and that some of them had taken forms that some would consider 'magical" such as Merlin such a stretch of the imagination?

If someone says "well... Its because its gay! They're making the whole universe soooo unbelievable now" wouldn't you say parasites parading about as our Gods is already beyond "believable" especially given that originally in the movie, only Ra had come to Earth and found himself a supply of slave labor and a new body?

In conclusion - am I one of the few who sees this as a steady progression of the Stargate mythos rather then a "complete *bleep* up?" I can't wait to see Camelot...

I see it the progression, and I *love* the integration of different mythologies into the Stargate universe.

Comment

Originally posted by aschen
      I see it the progression, and I *love* the integration of different mythologies into the Stargate universe.
      Yeah, me too. It's one of the things that makes the show so great.

Comment

telchak was a mayan goauld

Comment

Well, for me it has to do with timeline.

With the Ancient Egyptian gods, it's a little more palatable to say these were Goa'uld, because it was really before civilization got started (8,000 BC, when Ra came to Earth). When you start getting into the 1500 BC range and on, it becomes a lot harder to swallow.

All in all though, I like the new Merlin arc.

As for everyone griping..... I bet if this had been done in say, season 5, they'd think it was great.

The fact that the show has changed lead actors is what they're really pissed about, and they're just taking it out on season 9.

Comment

Could we please stop saying that people's complaints all come down to one factor? If someone says they have a problem with the Arthurian aspect of the show now, I'm willing to believe they have a problem with the Arthurian aspect. If they have a problem with RDA leaving, I'll let them say that, not someone else who decides that no matter what people say, it's really about that.

I personally like the whole Arthurian thing. Knights of the round table, Arthur, all that jazz. But, maybe some people aren't interested in that kind of thing. Egyptian gods and Arthurian legend aren't interchangeable, so it's not like if you liked one it's automatic that you'd like the other. My interest in the Goa'uld (who I still find more fascinating as characters for what they could do) had nothing to do with their mythology. I'm more of a Greek and Roman mythology gal.
            I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

My problem with it is that the Egyption Gods (and others) were the principle enemy. Yes it's true that the Arthurian mythology has been incorporated into the show, but the principle bad guys still have nothing to do with anything.

Comment

It really isn't a matter of natural progression so much as association. A huge portion of fantasy stories have their foundations in Medieval English culture. This genre is gnerally filled with magic, wizards, cultural and historical inaccuracies, and is very often ridiculed and thought of as childish, cheesy and even for the realm of fantasy, a little ridiculous. Therefore anything associated with that automatically falls victim to the same ridicule

They've dealt with countless Earth cultures and myths. The Arthurian myth isn't like ancient Egyptian or Ancient Greek or Roman. It's a big part of a culture but it's also a great story that may not have happened as opposed to being religiously based. So as it is, it's a little shaky which would be OK if not for the fact that it also has the fantasy associations which is already ridiculed.

The fact that they're approaching this story so late in the show and making it, not just an episode, but a theme for an entire season or more, is part of the problem. It kind of makes you think, this is all they've got left.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

I've made a hobby of studying legend and mythology for several years now, and while my favorite ones are Egyptian and Celtic, I love Arthurian legend. I think the direction SG-1 is going is wonderful – the new mythology gives the show a new life. I've read spoilers for the rest of S9 and S10, and I can't wait to see it!

Actually, when we found out Merlin was an Ancient, my first thought wasn't so much "oh, cool" as "duh, of course."

Member of W.A.S.P. ~ My Fan Fiction ~MySpace ~ Thanks to *E*K*R* for the sig!

Comment

Originally posted by Bragi
                    The fact that the show has changed lead actors is what they're really pissed about, and they're just taking it out on season 9.
                    Whoa whoa whoa there, buddy! Let's not generalise. I am extremely, extremely unhappy with season nine - for numerous reasons, none of which actually involve the lack of RDA - but I happen to really like the Arthurian/Ancient connection. I like the concept that all, or most, of earth's legends and mythological figures were aliens.
                    Jewel Staite Thunker | Secondary Women of SGA Thunker
                    Just repeat to yourself, "It's just a show and I should really just relax."

Comment

Stargate mythology has focused mainly on the Egyptian gods, it's true, but it's also dabbled in other mythologies including Norse (Thor and his buddies), and other Earth and non-Earth civilisations. I see nothing wrong with a bit of Arthurian legend, bring it on. Perhaps it's not so familiar to the Yanks, hence the complaints.
                      sigpic
                      "Ce qui ressemble a l'amour est toujours de l'amour." - Tristan Bernard

Comment

Originally posted by Bragi
                        It's blind, arrogant generalizations like this which make fandom such an increasingly hateful and intolerant place. What use is it to discuss your opinions about the show if people are just gonna blow off your comments as a bunch of excuses to cover up the "real" facts?

Personally, I never liked the Arthurian legend. I found it dull and overly sentimental. As someone else said, I also think it's too recent. I also see a difference between ancient gods and a bunch of fairy tales about castles and wizards which, accurate or not, is how I view the whole King Arthur thing.

This is Stargate, not Dungeons & Dragons.But hey, don't mind me, I'm just BS'ing to covere the fact that I miss Jack, right? Never mind the fact that I think RDA should have left the show a lot sooner than he did. That's probably BS, too.

Comment

ra and the goauld left earth 5000 years ago in 3000 bc

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Shiva
                            In conclusion - am I one of the few who sees this as a steady progression of the Stargate mythos rather then a "complete *bleep* up?" I can't wait to see Camelot...
                            I'm right with you. I definitely see this season and the Arthur mythology as a steady progression of this show. I can't wait to see how it evolves over the course of next season and any future seasons. IMO, this season is the farthest thing from a "complete *bleep* up", as you put it.

I can't wait for "Camelot" either. But let's not get too ahead of ourselves. We still have "Crusade" to enjoy tomorrow night. And it should be a good one.
                            sigpic
                            MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                            "...phu...ah..."
                            "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                            Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Lord Shiva: I too think that the progression of religion, etc. and the direction of the show is great. I mean the Asgard are based on Norse mythology, Gou'ald like you said Egyptian and then whatever else and its only fair the Ancients are based on something. I mean to me it would be great for TPTB to keep saying that all magical people in myths were actually ancients because to me TPTB are doing a perfect job and I will just think that until they run out of ideas which is not gonna happen for a very very long time because if thgey need to they can just get new writers

Comment

Working...
                              X